Message Boards

Topic : 06/04 Too Big, Too Young

Number of Replies: 476
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 06:08:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/29/07) Obesity is a huge problem for adults in this country, but now it’s becoming an epidemic among young children. Barbra says her 3-year-old daughter started gaining weight at six months old and now weighs 80 pounds. Barbra and her aunt, Dana, are baffled by what they believe is a medical mystery because they say the little girl doesn't overeat. Dr. Phil brings in two medical experts to get to the bottom of this issue. Is Barbra contributing to her child's weight gain? Then, Tammy says she can’t change her family's eating habits. She's obese, her 11-year-old is 175 pounds and her 9-year-old is 136 pounds. Her sister, Debbie, says the boys portion sizes are too big and the family is just lazy. Can Dr. Phil get Tammy to stick to a nutrition plan? You won’t believe the surprise he has for her! Plus, Jessica says her mom, Angie, is blind to the health issues of her 351-pound sister, Jaleisa, who is only 15. Jessica says her mom never buys healthy food, and she fears her mom has Munchausen’s syndrome. Angie says she can’t monitor Jaleisa’s eating habits all day. Can Angie turn this situation around and save her daughter’s life, or is it too late? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 29, 2007, 7:36 am CST

Win a Treadmill

Quote From: cammiegibson

I need HELP...I wish so bad I could get the same opportunitited as these families. I saw win a tredmil on Dr.Phil show but can not find where to enter.

Thank,

Camille

On the home page under the days of the week is a rotating banner. One of the ads that rotates is a link to enter the contest. If you hold your mouse pointer over the ad banner, you'll see arrows on the bottom right of the ad that allows you to scroll through the different ads. When you get to the one to Win a Treadmill, just click on the ad banner.

November 29, 2007, 7:59 am CST

11/29 Too Big, Too Young

I suppose I need to go back to remedial math because the 145lb 9 year old weighs a full THIRTY EIGHT pounds more than I do (I'm a 27yo female) Here I was thinking it was "only" about 18, my goodness!

I have ample amounts of sympathy for the children, they are products of their environments. The taunting must be awful to deal with.  I have ZERO sympathy and high levels of disdain for the "parents". Dr. Phil made a good point and this mindless consumption should be equated to enabling junkies and alcoholics. It's reprehensible.

November 29, 2007, 8:02 am CST

treadmill

Quote From: DrPhilBoard1

On the home page under the days of the week is a rotating banner. One of the ads that rotates is a link to enter the contest. If you hold your mouse pointer over the ad banner, you'll see arrows on the bottom right of the ad that allows you to scroll through the different ads. When you get to the one to Win a Treadmill, just click on the ad banner.
i don't see the link either for the treadmill

November 29, 2007, 8:03 am CST

disappointed in solutions recommended

my heart is breaking because of all the anger thrust at the parent of these beautiful little people.It is as if the public would like to put these parents to death or inprison them but may I offer another suggestion before the public hanging begins?Dr.Phil mentioned three things that contribute to this issue(as it seems to be more of a problem for the public then the individual)and one of these is the environment.If this includes the families income level then may I say this is one of the very first reason we as the public should look.Have you ever taken stock of the differences in prices between food that is good for you and the ones that aren't?Right now in the grocery stores you can choose between pasta that has omega3 and fiber in it that for 1.69 you can get 8oz.s or you can get 2 pounds of the regular elbow macaroni for 1.50.You can get a 4 pound bag of fresh oranges for 5.00 or you can get 3 two pound boxes of orange flavored cookies or better yet 2 half gallons of orange flavored ice cream.You can get a 2 pound bag of fresh salad mix(nothing special)for 4 dollars or 10 cans of veggies.Yogurt is at it's best 10 for 5.00.What I am trying to say is that if you are on a fixed budget like a disability check and you are getting no help from the other one responsible for bringing these little people into this world and you can get no help from your immediate family because well they simply don't care or they are partly responsible for your disability then pls explain to me how you can stretch out a bag of oranges for a month or an 8 oz. box of pasta for 2 weeks?Can I make a suggestion pls?How about instead of all these dr.s getting together to sell a book or two,why not put together an affordable punch of groceries to put on the selves with Orpah's personal trainer(you know the one she did the first eat right book with)stamp of approval?Also why not make access to fitness gyms alot more affordable even to the place of actually waving the fees for families with disadvantages such as listed above and not waiting to be approached by t.v shows that will give you public acknowledgement for your thoughtful heartfelt reach?Also how about making products like total fitness gym pieces and treadmills alot more affordable with ways to set up payments without having a credit card?Would this put some of the responsibility on the public and take some of the focus or witchhunt off of the parents or parent?Also if you are going to take the step to call for the separation of the family through child services(cause we all know they do nothing to protect)then the one making the call should be partly responsible for the financial support of making this child better especially if the call is about their eating habits!May God bless you and keep you in all you do!

November 29, 2007, 8:25 am CST

11/29 Too Big, Too Young

My daughter is over weight,this show was a eye opening for me,more like a stab at my heart...both her father and I are over weight and I know it is up to me to take control of our situation and do something about it.It will not be easy I realize that but for the sake of my daughters health I have to try,that is my responsibility as her mother.Time to take control os the situation and get moving..thanks Dr.Phil.

November 29, 2007, 10:46 am CST

HAVE YOU DID A GOOGLE SEARCH ON DARK CHOCOLATE

Quote From: messenger2

my heart is breaking because of all the anger thrust at the parent of these beautiful little people.It is as if the public would like to put these parents to death or inprison them but may I offer another suggestion before the public hanging begins?Dr.Phil mentioned three things that contribute to this issue(as it seems to be more of a problem for the public then the individual)and one of these is the environment.If this includes the families income level then may I say this is one of the very first reason we as the public should look.Have you ever taken stock of the differences in prices between food that is good for you and the ones that aren't?Right now in the grocery stores you can choose between pasta that has omega3 and fiber in it that for 1.69 you can get 8oz.s or you can get 2 pounds of the regular elbow macaroni for 1.50.You can get a 4 pound bag of fresh oranges for 5.00 or you can get 3 two pound boxes of orange flavored cookies or better yet 2 half gallons of orange flavored ice cream.You can get a 2 pound bag of fresh salad mix(nothing special)for 4 dollars or 10 cans of veggies.Yogurt is at it's best 10 for 5.00.What I am trying to say is that if you are on a fixed budget like a disability check and you are getting no help from the other one responsible for bringing these little people into this world and you can get no help from your immediate family because well they simply don't care or they are partly responsible for your disability then pls explain to me how you can stretch out a bag of oranges for a month or an 8 oz. box of pasta for 2 weeks?Can I make a suggestion pls?How about instead of all these dr.s getting together to sell a book or two,why not put together an affordable punch of groceries to put on the selves with Orpah's personal trainer(you know the one she did the first eat right book with)stamp of approval?Also why not make access to fitness gyms alot more affordable even to the place of actually waving the fees for families with disadvantages such as listed above and not waiting to be approached by t.v shows that will give you public acknowledgement for your thoughtful heartfelt reach?Also how about making products like total fitness gym pieces and treadmills alot more affordable with ways to set up payments without having a credit card?Would this put some of the responsibility on the public and take some of the focus or witchhunt off of the parents or parent?Also if you are going to take the step to call for the separation of the family through child services(cause we all know they do nothing to protect)then the one making the call should be partly responsible for the financial support of making this child better especially if the call is about their eating habits!May God bless you and keep you in all you do!
 Have you found out just how much dark healthy chocolate is helping people?
Just go to dark chocolate antioxidants.  Do you know what O.R.A.C. value is?
For your health you should find out.  What is the difference in cold pressed and alkaised cocoa?
Why do you need this?  check out Scientific Today Chocolate Health?  It is so wonderful that the research proves this type of product is a one of a kind.   Weight loss, sense of well being, caticins and epicaticans, flainols....!  XOCAI is the product.   www.mydrchocolate.com, www.familydarkhealthychocolate.com
Thanks
NR

November 29, 2007, 11:58 am CST

Parents are to blame!

Quote From: messenger2

OK, so a bag of oranges costs more then cookies, or ice cream. Pay the extra and give the kid an orange, instead of half a box of cookies. It's not only what food they eat, it's how much. Portion control for kids (and everyone) are way to big. I live in a part of the country where food (especally freash food) is at an all time high. I'm a stay at home mom, and my husband works, we're not starving, but we get streached, but no matter what, I make sure my kids have a good, healthy, meal in front of them. Dessert is the first thing to get cut. My and my husbands extra costs are the second. I know so many parents with over wieght kids who say the same thing as you " Healthy food is just to expensive" meanwhile, they don't go without thier cigerettes, "that they can't live without" or various other expendatures. It makes me want to scream! You can find healthy alturnatives without breaking the bank, if you're willing to buget. And you don't need to go to the gym to excersise, take your kid for a walk, or go outside with them. I have a very active 2 year old boy, and believe me. chaseing him around for an hour is more excercise then you could possibly get at the gym. The point is obesity is a danger to their health, You wouldn't give them a cigerette and a beer, because they want it, right? Why give them wieght problems, heart problems, diabeties, asthma, and so many more issues at such a young age?

November 29, 2007, 12:14 pm CST

who's ill

In watching the mother with the obese 3-year-old, the first thing that comes to mind is Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy - not sure if I spelt that correctly. But it's when a mother or father makes a child ill so the parent can get the attention. Cause this Mom is sure getting a lot of attention. And both she and her aunt were angry at Dr. Phil for giving them the same answer as others have. I hope someone steps in and helps that child!

November 29, 2007, 12:45 pm CST

I need help

I'm the mother of an overweight 9 year old girl.  Aside from locking the kitchen cabinets, it's truly hard to keep a child from eating. Even if you have healthy foods in the house, I cannot follow her around the house making sure she doesn't put any food in her mouth.  I've tried to call several psycologist because not only do I feel she needs help, I feel the rest of the family needs help but one didn't take our insurance, another didn't deal with children, another didn't deal with childhood weight issues and another didn't even bother to call me back.  I also went to the local hospital where they were starting up a program geared towards overweight children, but without $3000.00 + I could not sign her up.  Of course my insurance wouldn't cover the program, they would rather pay for problems that arise due to her weight than to help her lose it.

November 29, 2007, 12:46 pm CST

Living with eating disorder

Everyday we live with the challenge of having a son with an eating disorder that would easily lead to severe obesity if not managed. He is 9 and I knew from an young age that something was not normal, that he had some sort of eating disorder but nothing was found in blood, genetics, etc. We were lectured about empty calories, junk food, portion size, exercise. Fortunately, I have some nutrition background, but even with general healthy eating and an active lifestyle, he was steadily gaining. We even asked that friends and family not feed him. At restaurants he would try to take food off other tables. He was obsessed with food. We’d finish supper and 10 minutes later, he’d ask for more food. He eat 6 bananas or 8 yogurts that he stole from cupboard.

Finally, this year, I came across a genetic disorder that he was not previous tested for and he was tested even though it was thought that he did not meet the characteristics. He was positive for Angelman Syndrome with Prader-Willi characteristics.

Now we know he does have an eating/weight disorder characteristic of obsession with food, insatiable appetite, low metabolic rate (meaning he will gain weight on less calories), and low muscle tone. We were referred to a dietician who put him on a diet in which we measure, weigh and record all food, serve him specific food groups and portions, at specific times of the day. The goal is to maintain his weight so he can grow into ‘normal’ weight. It is working... for 5 months he has not gained.

But even with our already fairly healthy lifestyle, help from a dietician, and support from family and friends, it is not easy at all. We can’t keep any junk food or sweets in the house, not even crackers or bread. The cupboard is locked as he will sneak food, I hide the enticing foods (V-8, bananas, and raisins LOL), we have to leave parties early if food is out, the school has to get permission from us to feed him anything, holidays are stressful with all the extra food, my husband hides his own food (cereal, bread) LOL, and most difficult is the frequent anger and behaviours when told ‘no’ to food (and we have to say no ALOT).

Many people do not have knowledge of nutrition (understandably) and I empathize with families who may be predisposed to obesity and do not have the guidance and counselling that is necessary. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be for them to just turn things around.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last