Message Boards

Topic : 06/04 Too Big, Too Young

Number of Replies: 476
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 06:08:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/29/07) Obesity is a huge problem for adults in this country, but now it’s becoming an epidemic among young children. Barbra says her 3-year-old daughter started gaining weight at six months old and now weighs 80 pounds. Barbra and her aunt, Dana, are baffled by what they believe is a medical mystery because they say the little girl doesn't overeat. Dr. Phil brings in two medical experts to get to the bottom of this issue. Is Barbra contributing to her child's weight gain? Then, Tammy says she can’t change her family's eating habits. She's obese, her 11-year-old is 175 pounds and her 9-year-old is 136 pounds. Her sister, Debbie, says the boys portion sizes are too big and the family is just lazy. Can Dr. Phil get Tammy to stick to a nutrition plan? You won’t believe the surprise he has for her! Plus, Jessica says her mom, Angie, is blind to the health issues of her 351-pound sister, Jaleisa, who is only 15. Jessica says her mom never buys healthy food, and she fears her mom has Munchausen’s syndrome. Angie says she can’t monitor Jaleisa’s eating habits all day. Can Angie turn this situation around and save her daughter’s life, or is it too late? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 9, 2008, 1:02 pm CST

Refresh your browser to see your new post :)

Quote From: archiesmum

im called sarah i lived in UK . and moved here 3 yrs ago i am the mum 0of archie . who has MOMO syndrome. he is the only one in UK and USA who has it .. its life limited with no cure .. plzzzzz ppl do a search on www.info.com  type in momo syndrome or even the title archie the 84lb baby .. he was featured on both discovery health and TLC.. my son too was accused of over eating . and it took 2 yrs me going to every doctor . i even went to brazil to meet a family of a girl who had it.. everything from leptin dis order to prader willie .....
You will probably miss your new posts if you don't refresh your screen, leading to multiple reposts of the same message. See if this doesn't help next time :) and thanks for adding to the discussion. If you come back again. please let us know how Archie is doing now and since the program on Discovery Health :). Thanks!

November 9, 2008, 7:35 pm CST

Little Archie

im called sarah i lived in UK . and moved here 3 yrs ago i am the mum 0of archie . who has MOMO syndrome. he is the only one in UK and USA who has it .. its life limited with no cure .. plzzzzz ppl do a search on www.info.com  type in momo syndrome or even the title archie the 84lb baby .. he was featured on both discovery health and TLC.. my son too was accused of over eating . and it took 2 yrs me going to every doctor . i even went to brazil to meet a family of a girl who had it.. everything from leptin dis order to prader willie .....
Please, has Archie been tested for Cushing's Syndrome, or Cushing's Disease? His symptoms match Cushing's and it is also a very rare disease. I wanted to make sure it has been ruled out. The blood tests are pretty simple but often never tested. Cushing's is the over production of Cortisol or ACTH. Usually caused by a brain tumor on the pituitary gland (Cushing's Disease), or a tumor on the adrenal gland, and often exposure to corticosteroids, topical or otherwise. You'd be surprised how many creams and medication contain them. MOMO sounds like a BS term for not being able to diagnose the real problem. Keep searching, don't give up! Please let me know if you learn anything new! Best of luck to you and little Archie.

December 13, 2008, 8:06 pm CST

06/04 Too Big, Too Young

yes he was , and u know what i'm overweight too .. and yes i was even  looked into by the UK social services for over feeding archie ... luckily i never gave in and searched and shouted and made appointments even went to brazil ....for a doctor to tell me he had MOMO syndrome ... ok i have a diagnosis now , what does it mean nothing really they will not research MOMO . because it is so rare and archie does not warrant the funds it needs .. i was told this by a Top UK genetist <SP  it means archie will make a terrific football player :P. it means he is life limited,  so basically  search listen and do !!!  anyone can contact me at  pudgentazz@hotmail.com or do a search for either MOMO syndrome or archie the 84lb baby xxx
Hi Sarah,               My name is Mike. I live in NY with my wife and triplet 5 year old girls. I saw your case on TV and your posts on the show. Seeing your case reminded me of a local case similar to your own. They called him baby Zack and he lived in Goshen NY, Zack was 3 feet tall and 68 pounds at 18 months old. This was in 1996 and I haven't heard anything since then. He was in the media spotlight until they didn't need him anymore, so I really haven't heard a thing since, but I wanted to just let you know about his case, if you really wanted to I'm sure that you could speak with his parents to find out what the diagnoses was with his health. I'm including a link for a 'NY Daily News' article that talks about his case.  If you want to speak with his parents and can't find any information on getting a hold of them I'm offering my services in speaking with the right people to find them. (I can just speak with the police in that town). So let me know if you get this, mti14@yahoo.com.      Thank You and all the best of luck with your sons health.  Mike. http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/1996/08/13/1996-08-13_big_baby_a_growing_concern_t.html

January 18, 2009, 1:41 pm CST

How is Archie Today?

This programme has angered me.. purely the title of the show..im called sarah i am the mum of archie thompson who has appeared on the discovery channel and TLC , the title of the show was archie the 84lb baby .. He is the only person to date who has been diagnosed with momo syndrome in the UK .. i now live in oklahoma usa. and archie is life limited and there is no cure for this syndrome. I have even been to brazil, to meet with a family of a 17 yr old girl with the same syndrome. i got my diagnosis purely through going to every doctor possible . and dr phil beales. from a top london childrens hospital took him under his wing he has been tested for everything from prader willi to soto's syndrome.. for anyone wanting more info . plz go to www.info.com  and do a search on either Momo syndrome . or Archie Thompson.. and yes ppl thought archie was being overfed by me . and i was spoke to like dr phil is speaking to these parents alot .. now hopefully after seeing the docu on archie the doctors believed me . ok im rambling i have so much more to say .. but would be here typing for a year ...

sarah.. Archies Mum 

March 11, 2009, 8:08 pm CDT

With hope

My child Archie was featured on several programmes, discovery health, TLC. channel 5 in the UK .. yes we are british, now here in states  finally after i went to brazil , he was diagnosed with MOMO syndrome,, not  OVER EATING.. he is life limited,  he has a normal diet . he is now 6 , doctors said he wouldnt live past 2 what these mums have to do if they think something is wrong is push push push till you get where you are satisfied. below are several links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOMO_syndrome

Confirmed cases

Archie Thompson was born in 2002 in Icklesham, England and weighed 8 lb 4 oz (3740 g). By 15 months his weight had increased to 4 stone (56 lb; 25 kg) and by 24 months it was up to 6 stone (84 pounds; 38 kg). The condition placed a large strain on his heart and lungs. The Thompson family were featured in a documentary for Five first shown on 3 October 2004.  

Danielli Furton, from São Paulo, Brazil, is one of the oldest surviving sufferers of MOMO syndrome. At age 17 she was featured in the Archie Thompson documentary as his mother traveled to visit her. Furton attended school as normal, though her physical and mental conditions prevented her from progressing as well as the other students.  

Three other cases have been diagnosed, one in Italy, a second in Brazil [1.  

http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/misc/archiethompson.html  

if i can give any one any advise plz contact me at.. pudgentazz@hotmail.com

I just wanted to write to you to say I think Archie is a special little boy. I hope the best for you and him. I have watched the documentary about Archie a couple times now, and kept wondering how he was doing, they have ever  given any updates. I was happy to see on this website  that he is now 6. His red curly hair and happy disposition make him a real cutie-pie. I hope your whole family is doing well.

March 13, 2009, 12:07 pm CDT

New to this board!

My name is Beth and I'm the mom to Brayden.  Bades is 2 years and 8 months old.  He weights 50 lbs and has a close resemblance to Archie.  We were watching Discovery Channel the other night and my middle son said "Mom, that little boy looks like Brayden".  I called my sister, cousin and mom to have them turn on the channel and they couldn't believe the closeness.  I hope Archie is doing well and hope to hear from his mum on his progress.

First | Prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | Next Page | Last Page