Message Boards

Topic : 06/04 Too Big, Too Young

Number of Replies: 476
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 06:08:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/29/07) Obesity is a huge problem for adults in this country, but now it’s becoming an epidemic among young children. Barbra says her 3-year-old daughter started gaining weight at six months old and now weighs 80 pounds. Barbra and her aunt, Dana, are baffled by what they believe is a medical mystery because they say the little girl doesn't overeat. Dr. Phil brings in two medical experts to get to the bottom of this issue. Is Barbra contributing to her child's weight gain? Then, Tammy says she can’t change her family's eating habits. She's obese, her 11-year-old is 175 pounds and her 9-year-old is 136 pounds. Her sister, Debbie, says the boys portion sizes are too big and the family is just lazy. Can Dr. Phil get Tammy to stick to a nutrition plan? You won’t believe the surprise he has for her! Plus, Jessica says her mom, Angie, is blind to the health issues of her 351-pound sister, Jaleisa, who is only 15. Jessica says her mom never buys healthy food, and she fears her mom has Munchausen’s syndrome. Angie says she can’t monitor Jaleisa’s eating habits all day. Can Angie turn this situation around and save her daughter’s life, or is it too late? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 29, 2007, 12:47 pm CST

Fat Kids.... Parents to blame?

There are several reasons for overweight children in America, but 2 things must be addressed before any other changes will do any good at all.  First, these kids are starving to death, in spite of the fact that they are eating themselves into oblivion.  I'd wager that most if not all of these children are given a multivitamin on a regular basis.  Vitamins alone will only make the problem worse.  When the body is starving for absorbable nutrients, it will crave the minerals it needs to be able to metabolize the vitamins it has in abundance.  Thus, these kids and their parents will crave sweets, salt, ice, etc.  The condition is called pica, and is the body crying out for minerals.  Give those kids a good ionic mineral daily and watch them lose 20 pounds in a month with no other change at all.  Over time, they will lose their cravings for sweets, salt, ice, and anything else they're craving, and regain energy, a desire and craving for fruits, vegetables, and above all, water.  When one craves sweets, they're deficient in Chromium and Vanadium.  Crave salt?  Calcium deficiency!  Ice? You need iron..... and the list goes on and on.

Every vitamin needs a corresponding mineral for each to be absorbed.  They work synergistically.

It's really sad that they've all gone to traditional medicine to address their situations.  Doctors are great if you break a bone or get in a car crash and have to be put back together, but medicine is sorely lacking when it comes to chronic and degenerative diseases of the body.

November 29, 2007, 12:51 pm CST

To Get Kids Moving Try Nintendo Wii

Quote From: nicole82

OK, so a bag of oranges costs more then cookies, or ice cream. Pay the extra and give the kid an orange, instead of half a box of cookies. It's not only what food they eat, it's how much. Portion control for kids (and everyone) are way to big. I live in a part of the country where food (especally freash food) is at an all time high. I'm a stay at home mom, and my husband works, we're not starving, but we get streached, but no matter what, I make sure my kids have a good, healthy, meal in front of them. Dessert is the first thing to get cut. My and my husbands extra costs are the second. I know so many parents with over wieght kids who say the same thing as you " Healthy food is just to expensive" meanwhile, they don't go without thier cigerettes, "that they can't live without" or various other expendatures. It makes me want to scream! You can find healthy alturnatives without breaking the bank, if you're willing to buget. And you don't need to go to the gym to excersise, take your kid for a walk, or go outside with them. I have a very active 2 year old boy, and believe me. chaseing him around for an hour is more excercise then you could possibly get at the gym. The point is obesity is a danger to their health, You wouldn't give them a cigerette and a beer, because they want it, right? Why give them wieght problems, heart problems, diabeties, asthma, and so many more issues at such a young age?
For the overweight children who are couch potatoes or like to play video games Nintendo Wii will get them moving in the privacy of their own home.  My Mom who is 64 and my mother-in-law who is 79 also enjoy playing Wii.

November 29, 2007, 12:52 pm CST

Isn't it obvious?

It is abundantly clear to me, and should be to everyone else that behind every fat child, is one or two fat parents or guardians.  Now to some this may seem rash and unfounded, but look at EVERY single case on this show.  Every mom was HUGE!  In my personal life, I don't discriminate based on size of someone, but I do think every child deserves a right to grow up in the healthiest environment possible, within reason.  Obviously, not every mother or father can afford a gym membership or have time to work out with their kids.  But we CAN control what they eat.  Find me ONE parent who is a gym buff or personal trainer that also has a fat child.  Bet ya my savings account noone could.  And it was just brought up that letting your child become that fat could be grounds to call CPS.  And I agree it should be!  I believe there should be a standard for obesity set by age of childern under 16 and if any child exceeds that weight, their child should be taken away for such time as to get them into acceptable shape and on the right path, because staying in that environment could literally KILL THEM, similar to being in a crack house.

November 29, 2007, 12:53 pm CST

won't somebody think of the children

I am sorry if this sounds totally off, but how I'm seeing this show is a little different than some might be.  I totally and uterally agree that all these parents need to do is start buying healthy things etc etc. However, all I can think about is how these children/ teenagers are on here and now all over the world they are going to be known as the big people on Dr.Phil. Some of you may not agree, but I totally feel for these kids.

November 29, 2007, 12:53 pm CST

The Way We Raise Our Children

This is an every growing problem with children and adults.  I always hear parents say, "they won't eat that" or "they will only eat..."  That is a cop out and load of bologna.  It is "EASIER"  for parents to give their children whatever they want and allows the parent to not feel as guilty when they are stuffing their own faces with unhealthy foods.  I know from experience with my own two children that they will eat what is provided for them.  We allow the boys to have one treat a day and that is if they have eaten a good breakfast and lunch and also have behaved in a manor that they deserve one.  Of course on holidays there are some exceptions.  Our boys are 3 and 6 years of age and they both will ask if they are eating something new, "Is this good for me?"  We started when they were able to eat baby foods, giving them everything, even if we did not like things we allow them to make their own decision.  There are not many things that our boys won't eat.  If it is something they don't like, they have to have a "no thank you"  helping.  The "treats" that are allowed are kept in an out of site out of mind and out of reach place.  Snacks are fruits and healthy things.  When applying these things with the kids we ourselves have to eat the same way.  This is a family thing.  We can't stuff our faces with unhealthy foods and then tell the kids no.  I cook all the time.  We do eat out some, but it is a special treat to do so.  I hope that soon this cycle can slow down and that Americans can eventually shake this bad rep for being an unhealthy and obese country.  Thanks for reading!

November 29, 2007, 1:22 pm CST

Good Show

I'm glad that Dr. Phil is covering this issue.  My five-year-old first came to us through foster care when he was 18 months old.  He was very much overweight and accustomed to drinking whole milk and eating Happy Meals.  (In fact, before he was even talking, he could recognize the McDonald's arches and he'd get excited and start waving his pudgy little arms around ~ he's a smart kid!)

Now he drinks soy milk and eats veggie chicken nuggets, but it's still a battle.  He has a history of respiratory problems (caused by, I think, exposure to marijuana smoke before he was born and immediately after his birth, thanks to his biomom).  This has made it difficult for him to run hard and play hard sometimes, however, his condition has improved so much ~ he can do a lot more now.   When he was smaller, there were many spring days when I so wanted to bring him to the park so that he could run and jump and play, but I had to keep him inside with the air filter because he was wheezing and the pollen count was high.  When he was suffering from the asthma, I wanted so bad to placate him with a sucker or a chocolate chip cookie, and, sometimes I did but a lot of times I didn't either.  (I'd try to find other alternatives like attention or Hot Wheels cars ~ this kid probably has way too many Hot Wheels cars and little army men.)

He hasn't really lost weight, but he's 'grown into his weight' just like the doctor said on the show today.  He's still a little overweight, but not anything like before, and I struggle with guilt over not giving him the things he wants to eat.  Still, I know I'm doing the right thing. Watching today's show helped reinforce that fact.  In fact, I need to take more initiative to better control his eating and keep him active.  It's like I feel guilty for denying him his favorite foods and guilty for letting him have too much food at the same time.

Did Dr. Phil recommend any good books on this subject?  (I'm only halfway through the show ~ I T-voed it, so he might still recommend something.

November 29, 2007, 1:23 pm CST

give me a break

Quote From: messenger2

my heart is breaking because of all the anger thrust at the parent of these beautiful little people.It is as if the public would like to put these parents to death or inprison them but may I offer another suggestion before the public hanging begins?Dr.Phil mentioned three things that contribute to this issue(as it seems to be more of a problem for the public then the individual)and one of these is the environment.If this includes the families income level then may I say this is one of the very first reason we as the public should look.Have you ever taken stock of the differences in prices between food that is good for you and the ones that aren't?Right now in the grocery stores you can choose between pasta that has omega3 and fiber in it that for 1.69 you can get 8oz.s or you can get 2 pounds of the regular elbow macaroni for 1.50.You can get a 4 pound bag of fresh oranges for 5.00 or you can get 3 two pound boxes of orange flavored cookies or better yet 2 half gallons of orange flavored ice cream.You can get a 2 pound bag of fresh salad mix(nothing special)for 4 dollars or 10 cans of veggies.Yogurt is at it's best 10 for 5.00.What I am trying to say is that if you are on a fixed budget like a disability check and you are getting no help from the other one responsible for bringing these little people into this world and you can get no help from your immediate family because well they simply don't care or they are partly responsible for your disability then pls explain to me how you can stretch out a bag of oranges for a month or an 8 oz. box of pasta for 2 weeks?Can I make a suggestion pls?How about instead of all these dr.s getting together to sell a book or two,why not put together an affordable punch of groceries to put on the selves with Orpah's personal trainer(you know the one she did the first eat right book with)stamp of approval?Also why not make access to fitness gyms alot more affordable even to the place of actually waving the fees for families with disadvantages such as listed above and not waiting to be approached by t.v shows that will give you public acknowledgement for your thoughtful heartfelt reach?Also how about making products like total fitness gym pieces and treadmills alot more affordable with ways to set up payments without having a credit card?Would this put some of the responsibility on the public and take some of the focus or witchhunt off of the parents or parent?Also if you are going to take the step to call for the separation of the family through child services(cause we all know they do nothing to protect)then the one making the call should be partly responsible for the financial support of making this child better especially if the call is about their eating habits!May God bless you and keep you in all you do!
beans and rice are cheap and make a complete protein invest in a pressure cooker and dinner is on the table in no time.  It is cheap to feed kids good nutritional meals. It is the lazy parents who won't give up bad habits to do it they would rather stuff their kids faces with junk food.  Obesity is everywhere   not just in the  poor that's a stereotype.  Vegetables are great snacks for kids and cheaper then a candy bar,

November 29, 2007, 1:24 pm CST

they will keep getting fatter

When a 6 year old little girl is sneaking food at night, the answer is not to restrict food even more.  A child needs to learn how to recognize when they are hungry and when they are not.  All diets do, even Dr. Phil's, is make people fatter.  The child may lose weight, but I guarantee that every pound will come back. It happens time and time again. 

too big too young

I really feel for these people. The anger from the last daughter with the 15 year old over weight sister is so sad. and the mothers unwillingness to take responsability, it's just real sad that we live in a world where if you deny enough we convince our selves it's the truth when in fact we are fooling nobody. My heart hurts for these families. America needs an awakening and not just about our obesity.

Parents missing COMMON sense

This show astounds me. It is truly amazing how indenial these parent are. Clearly these toddlers didn't wake up one morning and were 80-100+ pounds. The mothers are so worried about be criticized that they are missing the key role and responsibilities they have, and that is keeping their children safe. The first mother said that she is with her daughter at all times and knows exactly what her daughter eats and knows that she exercises. I'm not sure what kind of exercise they do.......but clearly if they were exercising or following a concise nutritional plan the toddlers, and their MOTHERS wouldn't be over weight. Mothers, set a good example for your children to follow, stop blaming your faults on a disease that does not exist, quit feeling sorry for yourself, and take actions now and get HEALTHY!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last