Message Boards

Topic : 08/15 Ask Dr. Phil and Robin

Number of Replies: 166
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 06:09:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/30/07) It's Ask Dr. Phil and Robin Day! From a Dancing with the Stars hunk to a reformed wild child, they answer all kinds of questions. First up, Derren says he's allergic to his girlfriend, Ana. Every time they see each other, he breaks out in hives, gets itchy eyes and suffers migraines. Is breaking up their only solution? Next, 25 million people watched Abercrombie & Fitch model, Albert Reed, cha cha his way to the top on Dancing with the Stars. How is he coping with his newfound fame? Then, partying all night on the beach, girls, drinking ... This kind of spring break may be the biggest dream for a teenage boy, but it's a mother's worst fear. Penny says no way is her 17-year-old son going on a spring break trip. Her husband says what's the big deal? What do Dr. Phil and Robin think? And, Kristin says her wild days are long gone, but the four tattoos she embellished her body with are a constant reminder of her past. How can she accept what she calls her "tramp stamp" and move forward? Plus, go behind the scenes and learn how Dr. Phil is produced, and it caused a sensation on YouTube, now don't miss the mom anthem performed for the first time live on TV! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 30, 2007, 8:55 pm CST

About the staff member with an Inoperable Tumor

Sorry, forgot to add the website for Radio-Surgery at UCLA that I mentioned in the previous message which is :               http://neurosun.medsch.ucla.edu/Programs/Radiosurgery/Radiosurgery_Intro.html

Again good luck and wish her all the best.   Dennis Boyle

November 30, 2007, 9:58 pm CST

Spring Break

I am so relieved to read through the posts here and find that I am not the only one who feels that Dr. Phil and Robin were completely off-base in advising that a 17-year-old be allowed to go on a Spring Break trip to a party spot in Texas. When and why did this spring break thing  become a rite of passage, especially for high school students?? To me it seems like it would be a huge clue that a child is not mature enough to merit that much 'rope' if their idea of fun is that kind of 'vacation'. 

I resented the McGraw's insinuation that not allowing a child to go on a spring break trip of this type is equivelent to sheltering them from real life experiences and is a lack of trust on the parent's part.

There are much more appropriate and healthy ways of allowing high school age children plenty of 'rope', life experience and freedom. 

My husband and I have raised our son with lots of love, encouragement, guidance, trust and respect. We have never viewed him as a possesion of ours, but as a precious gift that has been entrusted to us to raise to be a good. decent, happy human being. In preparation for his college and adult life, we gave him plenty of freedom to make his own choices and experience the consequences. When he  made good ones, which he mostly did, we let him know we were proud and pleased. On the occasions he made poor ones, he knew it before we did, told us, and learned from it , with our support and understanding.

While he was in High School, there were plenty of kids that were going on these type of Spring Break trips.Cripes, there are plenty of kids in his family (cousins and steps) that are into  this party lifestyle and it's condoned and/or encouraged by their parents. It's just never appealed to our son. He has plans and goals for his life, and being a drunken fool, if just for 2 weeks each spring, don't fit into them.

One of my proudest moments was a couple years ago, at my son's High School graduation party. One of his uncles arrived already drunk and loud. Before long, his half-brothers and sister were in the same shape and began loudly challenging my son to drink. They tried to embarrass him into it, offering him rather large sums of money, which they were probably drunk enough to have given him, if he had. Without being outwardly rude to them, my son  took their jibes and taunts in stride, with a little smirk on his face that showed his true opinion of their behavior. Later, another young relative, with a history of substance abuse problems told me that he had been about to 'fall off the wagon' but seeing how my son was able to stand up to such pressure gave him the strength to stay straight.

I've rambled on long enough, but I am still very disappointed with Dr. Phil and Robin's take on this one!

November 30, 2007, 10:21 pm CST

flthomcat --you are so right

Quote From: flthomcat

Apparently the Natalie Holloway story of a young women who had CHAPERONES and still ended up drinking (underage) and dead is not enough for American parents.

A teen will survive not going away to a distant place to drink, party, act wild and swim. S/he is welcome to go when s/he's paying her own way and on her own. But until that time, it is the duty of the parents NOT TO BE FRIENDS with their children, but to use their brains and do what is best for their teens.

You may have survived your stupid years (I did, too), but knowing what I know, I am WELL AWARE that I was LUCKY (just as you were). Not everyone gets lucky. I have LEARNED from my careless, dangerous behavior and I will not GAMBLE with the life of my child. As adults, that's our JOB to learn from our own mistakes and help manage our teens lives better (so they can fly when they're adults on their own).

Why not give a kid a loaded gun? It's not your child's actions that should worry parents when these kids are on "spring break." It's the behavior and actions of OTHERS that you (or your teen) cannot control when they are on "spring break." There are too many DANGEROUS variables.

If my child wants to be STUPID and take huge risks when she's on her own, so be it. There is nothing I can do about it. But UNTIL THAT TIME, it's up to me to be a responsible parent, not a friend.

Nobody will die from not going on spring break. It's not a right of passage. It's a costly and often dangerous gamble with a teen's life. Parents can be creative by planning vacations and taking along their child's friend/s. They can give them space alone by a pool, allow them to eat alone in the hotel restaurant, etc. There doesn't need to be full privacy, drugs, alcohol and sex. THAT is not what spring break should be about, but sadly that is what it has become.

Smarten up parents. Be a parent, not a friend!

I agree with you 100%. I usually agree with Dr Phil, but not today.

November 30, 2007, 10:34 pm CST

Hypnotherapy will also work!!!

Quote From: angelarasheed

I'm a holistic healer that specializes in allergy eliminations, and it is possible to be allergic to other people...husbands, wives, even your own children!  Like pet allergies, people can be allergic to the proteins in other people's hair and skin cells.  IT IS possible to teach your body to tolerate the proteins it's allergic to by stimulating specific accupuncture points, so there is a way to "eliminate" allergies and there is hope for everyone out there that is allergic to other people (and pets, and foods, and pollens, etc.)!!
Find a good hypnotherapist to take care of his problem

November 30, 2007, 11:56 pm CST

many like you

Quote From: tarzansmama

You're not alone, Lab1012.  I'm in the same boat as you.  I count all my calories every day, allowing only 1100-1300 per day, weight all my food portions, jog/speed walk 2 miles per day, do crunches on my exercise ball, work all night at a factory where I walk around all night (another 2 miles), have cut way down on sugar/refined foods; nothing!  If it doesn't get any better in January I'm going to the doctor to have my thyroid checked.  If that's not it then I don't know what.

Dr.Phil and staff did not do thier home work on this or just did not care about facts that many people go threw many doctors and tests before thier tests show Cushings or other health problems that lead to wieght gain.

People that have finly been told by doctors that they have Cushins and other illnesses have written Dr.Phil and Oprah begging them to make people aware, but they both refuse. How ironic that Oprah got a health problem that leads to wieght gain!

Now I know for some it is over eating. Is there a physical reason they over eat or crave sweets?

How long was that young girl in the hospital? A  2 pound loss could be a diffarent scale, a diffarent person reading scale, diffarent clothes that day or the scale just not reading right. I have never seen a electronic scale that reads the same for same person even with in a few seconds.

I have medicare insurance, the doctors refuse to do tests even when it is very obvious they need to be done. All they want to do is injections and surgery, it must be the only way they get what they want in pay. A doctor friend told me it is called "tuition-is-due" syndrome (med school is not cheep)

December 1, 2007, 12:04 am CST

To The Spring Break Family

In reading the message boards, many of us still agree with Mom.  As a better alternative to Spring Break, perhaps you could take a nice family trip during that time - like a  one week cruise to Alaska or a tour of Canada or Mexico or somewhere your family hasn't already been?

Joy to you!

December 1, 2007, 12:18 am CST

why

Quote From: russelfan2006

I loved what You and Robin did for Nicole today Dr.Phil.It was touching to me and a very kind and sweet thing you did for Nicole.Very Nice!

why did you have to show off what you were doing? (What does God say about that?)

What do you think all the people watching who are in that condision or worse think?

December 1, 2007, 12:20 am CST

ditto

Quote From: frillyfroo

Great idea.
ditto

December 1, 2007, 12:26 am CST

exactly!

Quote From: frillyfroo

I agree with you - the costumes, body movements are very unholy.

The costumes have got worse every show! ( I do not watch it I see all the commercials)

And why is tv allowing breasts to be shown on so many shows and commercials? There are laws against it.

If people like Dr.Phil who claim to be Christians steped up and stood against it what would happen?

December 1, 2007, 12:41 am CST

trashy tattoos?

Quote From: kristindetrow

Thank you for your words, and in many ways I agree with you. As I said in a previous post, my main reason for originally writing to the Dr. Phil show was not really all about my tattoos, but I am so thankful for his help. (I actually had my first laser treatment today, and although it is painful I am looking forward to being rid of them!) I am at a place now where I am ready to share with the people who know me now who I was then, I am ok with that. However, my three year old boys sometimes point to them and ask if it is a boo-boo. I really dont want them to see Mommy's trashy tattoos. It is important to me that they see me not as perfect, Lord knows that is a lie, but as a role model. I would never judge anyone else but I feel better about them being gone. I will discuss my past with my sons when they are older and show them how God can do ANYTHING!

I do agree that our pasts, no matter how ugly, are useful to reach those who need God's love, and tattoos or not, I want to make a difference in the lives of others. Writing is how I feel called to do that now.

Are you now judging others for what you have done yourself? I saw 2 of them and did not think trashy what exactly are they pictures of?

What is it about tatoos that you think are trashy?

Do your children not ask the same thing about your moles, freckels, etc. Are you going to have everything not "perfect "removed from your body?

If you would have said anything about what the children thought sooner, I would have thought that was your real reason. What are you going to tell them about the scars from the removal?

Your responses were really good until this.

If you really want to make a diffarence, trust and obey God, not self, Dr.Phil, fellings that do not line up with Gods word, or any other worldly things.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last