Message Boards

Topic : News, Politics and Current Events

Number of Replies: 10264
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 05:18:57 pm
Author : pennylane_78
Please join us on the new News, Politics and Current Events message board: Click here

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 10, 2007, 11:18 pm CST

News, Politics and Current Events

Quote From: fredastare

Ok half die on the way here or they all die in their own country

Mitzy,

How do you know this?  Fact or conjecture?

Really your fist sentence feels very cold...as though slave traders did people a favour?

If I lived back then, I think I'd preferred given you assumed choice to DIE in my OWN county with my family.

Yup, that's what I am pretty sure I would have chosen for myself...

<3

Fredi

I know it was a little cold. It is true though that in some parts of Africa when one tribe conquered another they either killed them all or made them slaves. It is also true that Africans sold other Africans in the slave trade. Also it is true that the Europeans came and kidnapped people. All of these things happened. One of my biggest points to some people are is, you can not just blame the white people for what happened.

To Sugar

No I did not get any of that post from a website. Most of it came from college history books, the history channel and other books.

December 11, 2007, 11:55 am CST

Quote From: moodymitzy

You are right the whole thing is and was horrible. I bet we are all glad its over.

About anyone that might think I am a racist. I have in the past couple years have had racist tendancies. I was not always like this.I had dated guys of different races and have friends of different racies, I always got mad at people for being prejudice towards people.  Being in this small town has changed me. When we moved here I have never been around so many racist and rude black people. It has started to wear on me. Then last night talking to a co-worker who is blakc had explained some things. He said that this town is very racist from both sides. Most everyone knows each other and grew up together. He said that the white people will be nice to their faces but talk really bad behind their backs. So most of the black people here know this so they tend to be racist towards white people. I move here expecting to be treated fairly and all I get is rudeness and disrespect from most black people. Now I am not saying all of them.

If you a white person goes to any fast food place that is run mostly by black people you as the customer will be treated with disrespect.  I have been in the customer service industry for a long time and it really bothers me that people act like that towards the customers. The place I work at now is run by mostly black people. Over half of them do not know how to treat any customer. So it has really started to wear on me. I do try to treat everyone with respect and ask fo rthe same. I do not automaticly think that just because someone is black that they are bad. I try to go by each person. Really the only race well religion that i have been prejudice towards is the Muslims. I used to thik that they were all bad until I did some research and admitted to being wrong about them.

Mitzy...I'm glad you can acknowledge that you have racist tendencies.

Here's the question...are you satisfied with yourself having racist tendencies?  Or is this something you'd like to overcome?

Marie <3

December 11, 2007, 11:55 am CST

Penny...I love the new board!

Marie <3

December 11, 2007, 12:34 pm CST

Quote From: _marie_

Mitzy...I'm glad you can acknowledge that you have racist tendencies.

Here's the question...are you satisfied with yourself having racist tendencies?  Or is this something you'd like to overcome?

Marie <3

It is something I am working on. I hate it I was not always like this. I know that in no way all black people are disrespectful so I just keep telling myself just look at the persona s an individual. What I have learned is that in many cases people go by the majority of what is around them. Right now the majority of black people in this town are lower class and can be racist but not all are like that. If I was surrounded by a bunch of racist white people I would eventually start thinking bad about white people.

I think what everyone needs to know is that just because the majority in the area where you are act a certain way does not mean that the whole race is like that.

December 11, 2007, 3:16 pm CST

Quote From: moodymitzy

It is something I am working on. I hate it I was not always like this. I know that in no way all black people are disrespectful so I just keep telling myself just look at the persona s an individual. What I have learned is that in many cases people go by the majority of what is around them. Right now the majority of black people in this town are lower class and can be racist but not all are like that. If I was surrounded by a bunch of racist white people I would eventually start thinking bad about white people.

I think what everyone needs to know is that just because the majority in the area where you are act a certain way does not mean that the whole race is like that.

Well...I'm glad you're working on it...that's great.

Take care, Mitzy.

Marie <3

December 12, 2007, 12:30 pm CST

Quote From: profmaryann

I know. Yeccch.

BTW, a lot of REPUBLICANS are sickened by this shameless pandering to the "My God can beat up your God" and "ALL our laws should reflect OUR traditions and mores" crowd. Yecch again.

Prof

I have to admit that I have not been keeping up with politics lately. All I know is that Hilary Clinton wants to be president and so does Obama. I heard something about Hilary going back and forth on her views about the war. It is so hard to pick one person to vote for when they all lie about something.

December 28, 2007, 7:21 am CST

Pakistan

Benazir Bhutto is dead. My first reaction when I read the first reports about 24 hours ago was, "Oh, s**t!" 

Now what happens?

Prof

January 3, 2008, 2:10 pm CST

Quote From: loretta24

I predict that a whole bunch of pesky politicians will have annoyed the innocent Iowans enough where they will head to the caucus and scream "GO THE F@### TO NEW HAMPSHIRE!!!".

Okay seriously now, I personally am sick of the whole Iowa/New Hampshire thing.  Nothing against Iowa and New Hampshire but why do they get to have such a large voice in the outcome of the presidential primary.  Maybe I am a bit cranky about it because a Senator from my state, who I voted for and who is supposed to represent me and up until he moved to Iowa (temporarily) I thought was doing a good job, is missing lots of votes and seems to have forgotten about us pesky constituents back home.

I am more concerned about the Republican results than I am the Democrats.  My big hot button issues are keeping and getting religion out of politics.  I have no beef with anyone individuals religious beliefs until they start to insert them into our government (and as long as no one is harmed).  We currently have a president who has gone to war because "God told him to".   We need to get someone in the White House that remembers what the part about "religious freedom" means.

I would love to see a campaign where no one mentions their religion, no one asks about their religion and the issues that are truly important to the wellness of our country are addressed in an intelligent manner.  Things like poverty, education, infrastructure, security, foreign policy.  Now I will quote John Lennon..."you may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.  I hope someday you'll join me and the world can live as one."

So back to Iowa, I hope anyone but Huckabee wins the Republican nod and I'm pretty luke warm on all the Democrats.  I'm still hoping that Bloomberg or Gore will jump on a horse named Independent and give them all a run for their money (quite literally!).

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and that you like to discuss news and politics. 

I totally agree with you...although, Huckabee winning the Republican nom may not be a bad thing...I think he is too extreme for even many die hard conservatives...at least I hope so....if he could somehow win the presidency, that would make it WAY easier for my hubby to convince me to pack up and move to Ireland!! LOL!

January 3, 2008, 4:49 pm CST

Quote From: julie1418

I totally agree with you...although, Huckabee winning the Republican nom may not be a bad thing...I think he is too extreme for even many die hard conservatives...at least I hope so....if he could somehow win the presidency, that would make it WAY easier for my hubby to convince me to pack up and move to Ireland!! LOL!

That is what I thought about GWB, the second election especially.  I just read something on MSNBC about how 40% of the Iowans going to caucus are evangelicals.  Must say I am more than a bit concerned about Huckabee.  I'm watching the evangelicals because imo Bush won the last election because of them and the gay marriage/constitutional amendment crap. 

I think Romney would be the next in line and many evangelicals are leery of him because he is a Mormon and (gasp) from that liberal hot bed of New England.  They even allow gay marriage where he is from(the horrors) (dripping sarcasm by the way).  Guiliani, well first he is from New York and he is divorced and he cheated on his wife and he is pro choice and he is pro gun control and he is......  Don't know much about Fred Thompson other than I end up watching Law and Order with my hubby.

Funny after the last election I was thinking that Canada might be a nice place to live.

January 3, 2008, 6:09 pm CST

Quote From: loretta24

That is what I thought about GWB, the second election especially.  I just read something on MSNBC about how 40% of the Iowans going to caucus are evangelicals.  Must say I am more than a bit concerned about Huckabee.  I'm watching the evangelicals because imo Bush won the last election because of them and the gay marriage/constitutional amendment crap. 

I think Romney would be the next in line and many evangelicals are leery of him because he is a Mormon and (gasp) from that liberal hot bed of New England.  They even allow gay marriage where he is from(the horrors) (dripping sarcasm by the way).  Guiliani, well first he is from New York and he is divorced and he cheated on his wife and he is pro choice and he is pro gun control and he is......  Don't know much about Fred Thompson other than I end up watching Law and Order with my hubby.

Funny after the last election I was thinking that Canada might be a nice place to live.

Yeah...maybe I should be more concerned. I remember after W was elected the SECOND time, the British newspaper had a headline like "how could 60 million Americans be SO stupid?" That is exactly how I felt. I love how they sneered at Kerry's intellectualism as if that is a BAD quality to have in a leader!! Ugh!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last