Message Boards

Topic : News, Politics and Current Events

Number of Replies: 10264
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 05:18:57 pm
Author : pennylane_78
Please join us on the new News, Politics and Current Events message board: Click here

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 1, 2008, 8:01 am CST

News, Politics and Current Events

Quote From: baeiouy

Let's say that you are a USC and your spouse is not.  Your child is born overseas.  Your child is automatically a USC if you can prove certain things, such as being in the US for a certain amount of times.

If both parents are USC and child born aboard, child automatically becomes USC.

One parent USC and one parent not.  There is a law actually dealing with this.  If the people are not married it lands who has custody of the child.  If the non-USC, then the child is out of luck.  Of course that can change as long as it is done by a certain birthdate and yes if they people are not married, they have to prove DNA in order to get the child citizenship.  I have done cases like this before.

These are already covered in the law.  Everything that you are talking about. 

Okay but what happens if a female, who is in the country illegally, gives birth in the US to a baby and then claims that the father is a USC?  Does the mother get deported?  Is the baby a citizen?  If she is unmarried and needs DNA who pays for the testing, the government or the mother?

I admit that I am not aware of many of our immigration laws but I am interested in learning.  It has never been an issue in my family as the overwhelming majority showed up here before US citizenship existed.

February 1, 2008, 8:14 am CST

Quote From: loretta24

Okay but what happens if a female, who is in the country illegally, gives birth in the US to a baby and then claims that the father is a USC?  Does the mother get deported?  Is the baby a citizen?  If she is unmarried and needs DNA who pays for the testing, the government or the mother?

I admit that I am not aware of many of our immigration laws but I am interested in learning.  It has never been an issue in my family as the overwhelming majority showed up here before US citizenship existed.

If someone sneaks across the board and gives birth, why should that child be a citizen?  We are the only country that still allows that.

If the mother claims that the father is a USC, the father has to show proof and all proof is on the person.  DNA is out-of pocket of that person.  This is how it already is.  We are just enforcing the laws that are on the books.

All I want is people jumping on a plane 9 months pregnant to give birth in the US.  Do you have any idea how many times that happens, too many to count.  Of course once she goes into labor, that child is going to be a citizen and pretty much that person is going to be living in the US forever because of that.

The problem is she is going to be illegal until her USC child becomes 21 and then she/he can petition for her.  That means who is paying for that illegal person to be in the US, or yes everyone else that lives here.  Not to mention who footed the bill for the hospital stay.

Say for example, you and your husband are traveling for sometime and you give birth in your child in Japan.  Your child is not a Japanese Citizen, all he/she is a person that was born in Japan, that is it. 

Why does the mother and USC child have to stay in the US?  No one is saying that she has to leave her child here?  She is more the welcome to take that child back to where ever she lives?  People that are illegal know how to play the game.  We arent talking about the brightest and the best, because if we were they would have come legally.  We are talking about people that are pretty much the peasants of that country.  That would have no problem breaking laws. 

You should see the stats of the amount of illegals that WE, USC, are paying for that are in jail and prison it is sickening.

It is a privilege to live in the US not a right.

February 1, 2008, 10:01 am CST

If someone sneaks across the board and gives birth, why should that child be a citizen?  We are the only country that still allows that.

If the mother claims that the father is a USC, the father has to show proof and all proof is on the person.  DNA is out-of pocket of that person.  This is how it already is.  We are just enforcing the laws that are on the books.

All I want is people jumping on a plane 9 months pregnant to give birth in the US.  Do you have any idea how many times that happens, too many to count.  Of course once she goes into labor, that child is going to be a citizen and pretty much that person is going to be living in the US forever because of that.

The problem is she is going to be illegal until her USC child becomes 21 and then she/he can petition for her.  That means who is paying for that illegal person to be in the US, or yes everyone else that lives here.  Not to mention who footed the bill for the hospital stay.

Say for example, you and your husband are traveling for sometime and you give birth in your child in Japan.  Your child is not a Japanese Citizen, all he/she is a person that was born in Japan, that is it. 

Why does the mother and USC child have to stay in the US?  No one is saying that she has to leave her child here?  She is more the welcome to take that child back to where ever she lives?  People that are illegal know how to play the game.  We arent talking about the brightest and the best, because if we were they would have come legally.  We are talking about people that are pretty much the peasants of that country.  That would have no problem breaking laws. 

You should see the stats of the amount of illegals that WE, USC, are paying for that are in jail and prison it is sickening.

It is a privilege to live in the US not a right.

agree that a child born to a mother who sneaks across the border should not be automatically considered a USC.  I am curious as to what is actually happening now, do we deport mothers who are here illegally with a USC baby because of the current law and a father who is a USC? 

Regarding people getting on planes to give birth in the US, I thought that in order to fly during the last month of pregnancy the airlines required a doctor's not.  Do the airlines rely on the individual to be honest or do they not question an obviously pregnant women? 

Regarding the amount of illegals in our prisons, it would seem to me that they should be deported instead.  Does that not occur now?  Why would we not deport an illegal alien who has broken the law further?

I agree it is a privilege to live here and be a USC, one that I have never taken lightly.  I will say that I feel very fortunate to have had ancestors that did the hard work for me.

February 1, 2008, 10:33 am CST

agree that a child born to a mother who sneaks across the border should not be automatically considered a USC.  I am curious as to what is actually happening now, do we deport mothers who are here illegally with a USC baby because of the current law and a father who is a USC? 

Regarding people getting on planes to give birth in the US, I thought that in order to fly during the last month of pregnancy the airlines required a doctor's not.  Do the airlines rely on the individual to be honest or do they not question an obviously pregnant women? 

Regarding the amount of illegals in our prisons, it would seem to me that they should be deported instead.  Does that not occur now?  Why would we not deport an illegal alien who has broken the law further?

I agree it is a privilege to live here and be a USC, one that I have never taken lightly.  I will say that I feel very fortunate to have had ancestors that did the hard work for me.

No once  you have a child that is a USC both parents are free to stay here, even if both are illegal.  That is why they are called anchor babies.

It is up to the airlines to question people, but we have all been at airports, it is crazy busy now.  Also, I would think it is harder now to see if someone is actually pregnant and not just overweight.

Nope they first serve their time and then they are deported, that is if the country that they are from will take them back.  That is another thing that is hard to do.  A number of countries wont allow the people to come back into their own country.  What then?  We (USCs) still pay for them.

I am only 3rd generation US, but both of my great-grandparents worked their butt off here, learned the language, educated their children etc.  When they came over we had no problem breaking up familes, if you didnt pass the physical, no bad so sad, you are back on the boat.

Now we have waivers for everything, AIDS, waiver, any kind of serious illness, waiver.  Why do you think active TB is back in the country.  You can thank the illegals for that one.  Just to name one disease that is back in our country.

February 1, 2008, 12:13 pm CST

No once  you have a child that is a USC both parents are free to stay here, even if both are illegal.  That is why they are called anchor babies.

It is up to the airlines to question people, but we have all been at airports, it is crazy busy now.  Also, I would think it is harder now to see if someone is actually pregnant and not just overweight.

Nope they first serve their time and then they are deported, that is if the country that they are from will take them back.  That is another thing that is hard to do.  A number of countries wont allow the people to come back into their own country.  What then?  We (USCs) still pay for them.

I am only 3rd generation US, but both of my great-grandparents worked their butt off here, learned the language, educated their children etc.  When they came over we had no problem breaking up familes, if you didnt pass the physical, no bad so sad, you are back on the boat.

Now we have waivers for everything, AIDS, waiver, any kind of serious illness, waiver.  Why do you think active TB is back in the country.  You can thank the illegals for that one.  Just to name one disease that is back in our country.

Wow, I did not realize that illegal parents can stay.  Okay so how do we fix this obvious loophole?  How do we best keep this from happening?

What is the deal with them first serving the time here?  What is the justification for that?  What countries don't take them back?

My ancestors I am sure worked their butts off, more so than I could imagine I am sure.  I am lucky enough to have relatives who have done the work of tracing the family tree.  Both sides of my family came back in 1621, no language barrier, just lots of work .

Thank you for the info, it does not get much attention here.

February 4, 2008, 11:09 am CST

Wow, I did not realize that illegal parents can stay.  Okay so how do we fix this obvious loophole?  How do we best keep this from happening?

What is the deal with them first serving the time here?  What is the justification for that?  What countries don't take them back?

My ancestors I am sure worked their butts off, more so than I could imagine I am sure.  I am lucky enough to have relatives who have done the work of tracing the family tree.  Both sides of my family came back in 1621, no language barrier, just lots of work .

Thank you for the info, it does not get much attention here.

Why do you think we all of a sudden have 15 million illegals here?  This is what I was talking about changing the Constitution.  Which I guess is in the works right now.  People are getting ticked off that people from all over the world just come to the US and just stay.  Once again these are not the best of those countries, we are getting the lower class people.

Well one thing is that police can not ask if you are legal or not, this is one thing that needs to change.  I am sure it they want the people to serve their time.  I dont know.  There are a number of countries.  I will have to find you a list.  I dont know them off the top of my head.

I am tired of people that come here and expect that everyone changes for them.  I dont know it just bothers me.

February 5, 2008, 4:51 am CST

Don

February 5, 2008, 4:53 am CST

Don't forget to vote!

If you live in one of the super duper Tuesday states remember to vote!  After much research and deliberation I finally am ready to vote.  Now let's see if my precious little vote can help Obama win!

February 5, 2008, 8:45 am CST

What is everyones view on Universal Health Care?  Do you agree or disagree?  How would you change it from other countries (all are going bankrupt)?  Who would actually get the Health Care, such as only people that legally in the US, people that pay taxes etc?

February 5, 2008, 12:07 pm CST

I have been looking at stats from Canada and it is scary that people actually want it.  They always say universal health care is wonderful as long as you arent sick.

I am sure if we get it, there would be tons of bars on things, what we can and can not eat etc.

Here are a few stats that I have found from the Canada Health Care compared to the US.

The surival rate for Breast Cancer in Canada is 30% in the US it is 70%.

The surival rate of Prosate Cancer in Canada is 15% in the US is 50%.

The average wait to get an MRI is about 6 months to a year in Canada in the US it is days.

The average wait to get any type of surgery dealing with replacements, such as hip, knee etc you are looking at 18 months to 2 years in Canada in the US 3 months to 6 months.

Not to mention that Canada has agreements with Bording states that they can fly in and take people to the hospital.  The Seattle hospitals are looking at 60-100 women a month flying in from Vancouver because they can not take care of them.  Not to mention that in Canada the have really no doctors from the country anymore, they actually have to be imported.

Scary if you ask me.

Hi is it Beverly?

I'm just thinking that as your username is B....*vowel*.....

Well, I'm not sure where you got you stats, but speaking as a Can*eh*dian I will tell you that although Universal Health Care is not perfect....it really isn't as scary as you may believe.

The wait times have been reduced significantly.  As far as requiring certain tests and or surgery's it basically works up here like a triage situation.  Those most in dire need go directly to the front of the line so to speak.

I must say, it's a huge relief knowing that no matter what, no matter how much money I've got in the bank, or what sort of added insurance I don't have to worry about anyone in my household creating a financial burden if medical treatment is required.

Big brow wipe....LOL!

Here's a few stat's from Wikipedia....

I have to take off for the afternoon yet will be back either later this evening or tomorrow and answer any Q's anyone may have.

The Canadian health care system is often compared to the US system. The US system spends the most in the world per capita, and was ranked 37th in the world by the World Health Organization in 2000, while Canada's health system was ranked 30th. The WHO ranking has been criticized by some for its choice of ranking criteria and statistical methods, and the WHO is currently revising its methodology and withholding new rankings until the issues are addressed.[47][48]

Canada spent approximately 9.8% of GDP on health care in 2005, almost one percentage point higher than the average of 9.0% in OECD countries.[28] According to the Canadian Institute for Health Information, spending is expected to reach $160 billion, or 10.6% of GDP, in 2007.[49] This translates to $4,867 per person.

Most health statistics in Canada are at or above the G7 average.[50] Direct comparisons of health statistics across nations is complex. The OECD collects comparative statistics, and has published brief country profiles.[51]

Country Life expectancy Infant mortality rate Physicians per 1000 people Nurses per 1000 people Per capita expenditure on health (USD) Healthcare costs as a percent of GDP % of government revenue spent on health % of health costs paid by government Australia 80.5 5.0 2.47 9.71 2,519 9.5 17.7 67.5 Canada 80.5 5.0 2.14 9.95 2,669 9.9 16.7 69.9 France 79.5 4.0 3.37 7.24 2,981 10.1 14.2 76.3 Germany 80.0 4.0 3.37 9.72 3,204 11.1 17.6 78.2 Japan 82.5 3.0 1.98 7.79 2,662 7.9 16.8 81.0 Sweden 80.5 3.0 3.28 10.24 3,149 9.4 13.6 85.2 UK 79.5 5.0 2.30 12.12 2,428 8.0 15.8 85.7 US 77.5 6.0 2.56 9.37 5,711 15.2 18.5 44.6

If you ask me, that life expectancy differential is rather *scary*.

UHC......like I said isn't so terrible, sure there are aspects that need to be addressed, yet it's a wonderful feeling knowing that we won't have to mortgage our home in order to provide health care for anyone in the family.    : )

Have a great day all,

<3

Fredi

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last