Message Boards

Topic : News, Politics and Current Events

Number of Replies: 10264
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 05:18:57 pm
Author : pennylane_78
Please join us on the new News, Politics and Current Events message board: Click here

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 7, 2007, 6:32 am CST

News, Politics and Current Events

Quote From: nscrchick

That is a good question.  One I have pondered.  I was always under the impression that the "morning after pill" was basically equivalent to an abortion.  In fact, I work in a hospital pharmacy and I have refused to take the "morning after pill" down to the ER.  I said I couldn't do it because I did not want to in any way shape or form be involved in the death of a baby. 

There is actually 2 different "after" pills.  There is the "morning after pill" (not available in this country legally) and "emergency contraception."  My pharmacist explained it this way:

The morning after pill will expell an embryo, will abort the baby.

The emergency contraception will prevent the fertilized egg from implanting in the uterine wall.  And it may be taken up to 3 days later.  They are actually birth control pills, just taken in a larger dose.

Don't know if this helps, but man it has raised some questions for me.  I have been on B.C.P. for 19 years.  And I am now in a serious dilemma.  To me it would seem that stopping a fertilized egg from implanting may be the same as killing it.  Oh God. Oh God.  Oh boy, I need to do some more research on this, if I have to live with the thought that I may have unknowingly  killed and unborn baby of mine...OH GOD

Yes, there ARE 2 different "after" pills, but I think you are confusing the 2 (and your pharmacist's explanation). Please re-read your 1st 2 paragraphs -- if the "morning after pill" were not available in this country, how could you be in a position to refuse to take it to the ER?.

In the USA. "Emergency contraception" and the "morning after pill" are generally used interchangeably. The mega-dose of hormones is, if administered within 72 h of unprotected intercourse, supposed to prevent implantation of a fertilized egg.

The French "abortion pill," RU-486, is a different drug & subject altogether. Despite study after study attesting to its safety when used correctly, it is still unavailable in this country legally, as far as I am aware.  

Prof

December 7, 2007, 11:10 am CST

Hey I FOUND it!!!

Woot hooo!   : )

I'm taking a break (I'm a very good boss to myself...LOL)  and will read back a bit on here....

<3

Fredi

December 7, 2007, 11:17 am CST

Quote From: profmaryann

And this field is about the most muddied it's been in a couple decades.

Is Utah an "open primary" (voters can vote in either primary, regardless of registration) state? FL is not, so I have to figure out whether I could "live" with Rudy or which other would be the least of the evils.

Prof

Hey Prof....or anyone that can answer my Q...

Does one have to *register* under a particular party in the US?

Just curious is all...

<3

Fredi

December 7, 2007, 11:20 am CST

Beyond jerk -- try Neanderthal. LOL I can only guess why you don't see him much.

You're right -- whoever the first female Prez is is gonna have to be one tough broad to get it.

Prof

True,

whoever it is has one hell of a pile of clean up on their hands tho....

It will be daunting,

I feel that this Presidential election is perhaps the MOST important one we will ever see.

<3

Fredi

December 7, 2007, 11:28 am CST

Quote From: fredastare

Hey Prof....or anyone that can answer my Q...

Does one have to *register* under a particular party in the US?

Just curious is all...

<3

Fredi

Depends on the state. In FL, one can register as Democrat, Republican, or Independent (meaning "no party affiliation"). I think in one of my earlier posts, I talked about "open" vs. "closed" primaries.

Glad you found the board, Fredi!

Now I need to tend to *my* housework!

Prof

December 8, 2007, 2:24 pm CST

This is a statement from another person. I am curious to find out what others think of it.

"Another thing the U.S. paid reparations to Jews that were but in concentraton camps by Germany and not them, but we have a problem with payng reparations for slavery"

December 8, 2007, 2:47 pm CST

Quote From: moodymitzy

This is a statement from another person. I am curious to find out what others think of it.

"Another thing the U.S. paid reparations to Jews that were but in concentraton camps by Germany and not them, but we have a problem with payng reparations for slavery"

Are you sure you have that quote correct? The first part of the statement doesn't seem to make any sense. I do remember hearing about reparations paid to the Japanese-Americans (& families) who were interned by the US Government during WWII, which brought on the query about slavery reparations.

Source, please? Newspaper article, network news story, the like?

Prof

December 9, 2007, 12:46 am CST

Are you sure you have that quote correct? The first part of the statement doesn't seem to make any sense. I do remember hearing about reparations paid to the Japanese-Americans (& families) who were interned by the US Government during WWII, which brought on the query about slavery reparations.

Source, please? Newspaper article, network news story, the like?

Prof

I posted this statement because I was not sure what to think of it myself. I like others have never heard of it.

My hubs said that we did help them but it would not have been called reparation. He said that we made Germany pay them.

As for the slavery thing. Well that is why we have welfare, just kidding bad joke.

December 9, 2007, 7:15 am CST

Quote From: moodymitzy

I posted this statement because I was not sure what to think of it myself. I like others have never heard of it.

My hubs said that we did help them but it would not have been called reparation. He said that we made Germany pay them.

As for the slavery thing. Well that is why we have welfare, just kidding bad joke.

A very bad joke and not at all amusing in my opinion.

As to WWII reparations, Israel and W. Germany reached an agreement which called for payment to Israel as they handled the relocation of 1/2 million European Jewish people.  Helped pay for infrastructure in the new Jewish state.   In the 1990s some settlements were also reached with those who had property stolen by Nazis.  Not sure that there is enough money on this planet to repay what was done during WWII.

The problem that I see with slave reparations is the amount of time that has past and who should pay.  Should my family be exempt because I am a descendant of a soldier who fought and died fighting for the North?  Should Southerners pay more?  As someone else mentioned where does it end?  Should the South pay me because my ancestor was a POW who died in a Southern prison?  That does not make sense to me but it might to someone else. 

Slavery was a disgusting, horrible part of our nations past.  We have many things in our closet that we should be ashamed of such as the Japanese interment camps during WWII, the American Indian Removal (Trail of Tears).  What we really should do is learn from our mistakes and also not make petty jokes about slavery and welfare.

December 9, 2007, 11:51 am CST

Quote From: loretta24

A very bad joke and not at all amusing in my opinion.

As to WWII reparations, Israel and W. Germany reached an agreement which called for payment to Israel as they handled the relocation of 1/2 million European Jewish people.  Helped pay for infrastructure in the new Jewish state.   In the 1990s some settlements were also reached with those who had property stolen by Nazis.  Not sure that there is enough money on this planet to repay what was done during WWII.

The problem that I see with slave reparations is the amount of time that has past and who should pay.  Should my family be exempt because I am a descendant of a soldier who fought and died fighting for the North?  Should Southerners pay more?  As someone else mentioned where does it end?  Should the South pay me because my ancestor was a POW who died in a Southern prison?  That does not make sense to me but it might to someone else. 

Slavery was a disgusting, horrible part of our nations past.  We have many things in our closet that we should be ashamed of such as the Japanese interment camps during WWII, the American Indian Removal (Trail of Tears).  What we really should do is learn from our mistakes and also not make petty jokes about slavery and welfare.

It was a really bad joke. I am sorry everyone that I said it.

Where I live there are just as many black people as there are white. There are more black people on welfare than there are white here iin a lot of the southern states.

It still did not make joke funny. I do not know why I said it. I am suppose to be loving and not sound prejudice.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last