Message Boards

Topic : News, Politics and Current Events

Number of Replies: 10264
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 05:18:57 pm
Author : pennylane_78
Please join us on the new News, Politics and Current Events message board: Click here

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 9, 2007, 11:55 am CST

News, Politics and Current Events

Quote From: loretta24

A very bad joke and not at all amusing in my opinion.

As to WWII reparations, Israel and W. Germany reached an agreement which called for payment to Israel as they handled the relocation of 1/2 million European Jewish people.  Helped pay for infrastructure in the new Jewish state.   In the 1990s some settlements were also reached with those who had property stolen by Nazis.  Not sure that there is enough money on this planet to repay what was done during WWII.

The problem that I see with slave reparations is the amount of time that has past and who should pay.  Should my family be exempt because I am a descendant of a soldier who fought and died fighting for the North?  Should Southerners pay more?  As someone else mentioned where does it end?  Should the South pay me because my ancestor was a POW who died in a Southern prison?  That does not make sense to me but it might to someone else. 

Slavery was a disgusting, horrible part of our nations past.  We have many things in our closet that we should be ashamed of such as the Japanese interment camps during WWII, the American Indian Removal (Trail of Tears).  What we really should do is learn from our mistakes and also not make petty jokes about slavery and welfare.

Again I am sorry I do not know what I was thinking. I am not a racist that guy that had posted the message had wrote back to me and was getting on my nerves, it was also late when I posted it and again I am sorry. I cannot say I am sorry enough. I admit it was wrong.

December 9, 2007, 12:02 pm CST

Quote From: loretta24

A very bad joke and not at all amusing in my opinion.

As to WWII reparations, Israel and W. Germany reached an agreement which called for payment to Israel as they handled the relocation of 1/2 million European Jewish people.  Helped pay for infrastructure in the new Jewish state.   In the 1990s some settlements were also reached with those who had property stolen by Nazis.  Not sure that there is enough money on this planet to repay what was done during WWII.

The problem that I see with slave reparations is the amount of time that has past and who should pay.  Should my family be exempt because I am a descendant of a soldier who fought and died fighting for the North?  Should Southerners pay more?  As someone else mentioned where does it end?  Should the South pay me because my ancestor was a POW who died in a Southern prison?  That does not make sense to me but it might to someone else. 

Slavery was a disgusting, horrible part of our nations past.  We have many things in our closet that we should be ashamed of such as the Japanese interment camps during WWII, the American Indian Removal (Trail of Tears).  What we really should do is learn from our mistakes and also not make petty jokes about slavery and welfare.

About slavery it was not just our country that did it. Slavery was something that had gone on for a very long time. What most people do not know is that the Muslims started the slave trade and not only blakcs were slaves. What is sad is that I think the US was one of the last ones to abolish it. That I am ashamed of. We can not change the past just learn from it.  About paying them reparation money. I think the person who first posted the message was talking about why couldn't we pay them right after it was over, at laeast I hope that was what he was meaning. Owning another human being is horrible but I honestly do not think that most slaves were mistreated and that they were better here than in their own countries where they were being killed off. How they became slaves was some tribes took over other tribe's land and most of the time they killed off the tribe that they were conquering but in some cases they decided to sell the people instead of killing them.

It is a very touchy subject. Again I am so sorry I posted that horrible joke. I usually am not like that all.

December 9, 2007, 12:39 pm CST

Quote From: moodymitzy

About slavery it was not just our country that did it. Slavery was something that had gone on for a very long time. What most people do not know is that the Muslims started the slave trade and not only blakcs were slaves. What is sad is that I think the US was one of the last ones to abolish it. That I am ashamed of. We can not change the past just learn from it.  About paying them reparation money. I think the person who first posted the message was talking about why couldn't we pay them right after it was over, at laeast I hope that was what he was meaning. Owning another human being is horrible but I honestly do not think that most slaves were mistreated and that they were better here than in their own countries where they were being killed off. How they became slaves was some tribes took over other tribe's land and most of the time they killed off the tribe that they were conquering but in some cases they decided to sell the people instead of killing them.

It is a very touchy subject. Again I am so sorry I posted that horrible joke. I usually am not like that all.

HI Mitzy!!!

You know I think that eating crow * admitting a mistake*...

is an admirable thing...

You've IMO apologised enough...end of story.   : )

<3

Fredi

December 9, 2007, 1:11 pm CST

Quote From: fredastare

HI Mitzy!!!

You know I think that eating crow * admitting a mistake*...

is an admirable thing...

You've IMO apologised enough...end of story.   : )

<3

Fredi

Thanks I just still feel bad about it.

Where I work we all make jokes like that and just about everyone I work with is black so they do not take it personally. When I had made the post I just gotten off work and still kind of had that mentalitity, They all know that I would not be serious and friends who know each other can make certain jokes but to anyone else it would seem really mean and racist.

I am done babbling now.

December 9, 2007, 2:43 pm CST

I also did not say all slave owners treated their slaves good. It is horrible that black people had to go through so much to get where they are today. I am thankful for the ones that faught for equal rights. I most likely have some black in me. We can all be thankful that everyone has equal rights. We all have the right to an education,to work and live decent lives. Wether or not some people choose to is another question.

i did say that is was a shame that America was one of the last countries to abolish slavery. I was also trying to say that not only America had slaves, and that it is not just a black thing. I belive that America treated the Native Americans far worse than any other race.

I am done with this subject. No matter what I say someone will try to twist my words around to make me look like a racist.

Look I honestly do not mean to come across as a racist. I am not I have many friends that black and of other different races and religions. I admitted that the joke was bad and I should not have said it.

As for the welfare thing. i was just trying to say that yes logicly yes there are more white people on welfare than there are black because the US as a whole has more whites than any other race. In some places where there are more blacks than whites or about even there is going to be more of an equal number of them on welfare. It does not matter. Welfare is desgnied to help those who need it. Some may take advantage but that is not a racial thing.

From what I got from Sugar's post was that black people are poor because they were brought up that way because of the prejudices in the past. I do not belive that.

I have to get ready for work so i will talk to you all later.

December 9, 2007, 11:31 pm CST

"When you say, "the slaves were treated well"....I don't think you had any idea of how they were treated.  I think somebody told you they were treated well.....and they were better off...and so you simply took it as fact and repeated it.   I am sure you never read in any history book that the slaves were better off coming here as slaves and were treated relatively well."

Ok half die on the way here or they all die in their own country, besides they are still doing that over there in Africa. I still believe that there were more slaves than you think that were treated well. I'm not saying that slavery was right, but there were more slaves that were treated decently, besides being slaves in the first place, than you think. The reason the negative treatment of slaves has thought to be more commonplace is that in representing the time of slavery, historically speaking, as a lesson you want to bring to the forefront everything that was wrong about it and the mistreatment of slaves. Meaning beatings, lashings, handicapping, starving, ets. As a lesson to other peoples and generations as time went by it would not be as convincing an argument to try to get slavery abolished other places if you the story went that most slave owners treated their slaves well. You want to bring to the forefront everything negative as possible about something you are trying to get rid of. You want to shine a light, if you will, on all the horrors of such a thing. Yes there were a lot of slave owners who severely mistreat their slaves, but they were NOT in the majority. In fact after Lincoln was killed and the carpetbaggers started in on the south and it got more and more expensive because of new taxes leveed on the south for former plantation owners to manage their land, most of the former slave owners who were able to keep their land were the ones who had not mistreated their slaves because many of their slaves came back to work for them. In return for this most of those former masters allowed their slaves to work for part of their land and eventually many of them owned their own parsels of land that they worked for because much of the land that was given to them by the government was later taken away and given to northern settlers. Most all of the slave owners who had mistreated their slaves lost all their land and had to seek their future some other way because they had lost most of their labor force and it was definitely not returning. Some of those who had been owned by an abusive master went to work for some other former slave owner that they knew had treated their slaves decently. In this way many of those who had treated their slaves well came out with an even greater labor force afterwards as was even able to buy up some of the land that had to be sold by some of the more abusive slave owners. A lot of this is in history books but not most that only skim over most of history and tell the parts that everyone knows already; try a few college history texts. Also a lot of this knowledge comes by word of mouth since until the late nineties both sets of my husbands great grandparents were still alive (born between 1900 and 1920) and had knowledge of all the goings on of those times from their parents and grandparents. They weren't slave owners and neither were their parents; most of his ancestors came over on a boat and were very mistreated in their own right. But the tales of Irish immigrants is another story. My  husband likes history and books but has always said there isn't anything like hearing it from someone who was there.

Ok half die on the way here or they all die in their own country

Mitzy,

How do you know this?  Fact or conjecture?

Really your fist sentence feels very cold...as though slave traders did people a favour?

If I lived back then, I think I'd preferred given you assumed choice to DIE in my OWN county with my family.

Yup, that's what I am pretty sure I would have chosen for myself...

<3

Fredi

December 10, 2007, 12:49 am CST

Sug,

I think you've backed yourself into a corner...

I asked how or why you stated that perhaps one's suffering differs from another's....

then you try and turn this around on me?

and you compare that to the invasion, slaughter (men women and children) and stealing of land of the Native Americans.....it is equal abhorrent abuse of humankind by a power.

If you think one is worse then the other......then say so and we'll discuss it.

I did not say nor suggest this Sugar....YOU and Mitzy did!!!

Who's turnig what around I think?

Twas YOU that said the *maybe equal*.....I asked about that...now suddenly you are saying I'm NOT being understanding of the two evils?

I GET totally GET that all are abhorrent....

I have the feeling that Sug, you will never dine with me or others if the menu is Crow de jour....you went from saying maybe not equal to ....TOTALLY equal....

???

I've dined plenty and can admit an err...

chair is available at my table care to join?

<3

Fredi

Sorry,

this line is from my heart....not a quote I inadvertently bolded my own thoughts...

then you try and turn this around on me?

Sorry again for any confusion.....over that...

K, I'm REALLY going to try and hit the hay stack again....

<3

Fredi

December 10, 2007, 10:00 am CST

Oh no Sugar,

I have to literally run...I would like to respond, yet apparantly you aren't going to read from me.   : (

I'm sorry if I've injured your feelings...truly I am.

I *mis-read* your meaning, and YES I totally missed Mitzy's comment as well...

after I read Mitzy's comment I asked her about it...

Oh well...

Again, I'm sorry, I hate that I have to leave right now.  

<3

Fredi

December 10, 2007, 10:01 am CST

Oh no Sugar,

I have to literally run...I would like to respond, yet apparantly you aren't going to read from me.   : (

I'm sorry if I've injured your feelings...truly I am.

I *mis-read* your meaning, and YES I totally missed Mitzy's comment as well...

after I read Mitzy's comment I asked her about it...

Oh well...

Again, I'm sorry, I hate that I have to leave right now.  

<3

Fredi

P.S.

I like you very much Sugar....very much.

December 10, 2007, 6:40 pm CST

Both major political parties are attempting to penalize several states (FL among them) for holding their primaries "too early," ie, before Feb. 5. The penalty is that the delegates from those states (or some proportion of them, in the case of the Republicans) will not be permitted to be seated at the national conventions. I admit, I'm not real happy at the thought of my vote not "really" counting.

The Florida Dems sued the national party, claiming that such an action disenfranchises voters in those "naughty" states. The suit was dismissed on grounds that the national parties get to make the rules, and the states are supposed to abide by them.

So much of this revolves around the idea, however outmoded, that the Iowa caucuses & the NH primary are "supposed" to be first. To me, this tradition has NEVER made sense, and it's time for it to end. Or, as some pundits have suggested, this will really mark the beginning of the end of the whole business of political party conventions --?

Maybe??

Prof

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last