Message Boards

Topic : 12/03 Shocking Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 204
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:39:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s no surprise that teens engage in reckless activities, but kids today are doing much more than sneaking a drink of alcohol. The newest trends can be deadly for your kids -- from street racing to car surfing. Dominic, 18, is obsessed with illegal street racing, and his friend, Justin, boasts that he’s driven 147 mph on the highway! Dominic’s mother, Susan, fears for his safety, but doesn’t know how to control him. Can Dr. Phil get the boys to put on the brakes? Then, 17-year-old Trais was street racing when he accidentally killed a wheelchair-bound mother of two in front of her children. Don’t miss his strong message for Dominic and Justin. And, meet a mom who worries that her 13-year-old daughter spends more time in a virtual online world than in the real one. Can Dr. Phil help the girl return to reality? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 1, 2007, 4:33 pm CST

Shocking Teen Trends

Finally Dr. Phil you're talking about an issue that's important, and one that hopefully you

can influence to change laws for young drivers that abuse the privilege.  Please use your

thirty plus years of experience to lobby for a change and give your audience the tools

needed to do so in their state where they reside.  The teens of today are killing themselves

and others around them and it's a trend that's spiraling out of control.  Stop the drama on

your show and give us the tools needed to avoid future deaths. Thank you.

December 1, 2007, 5:59 pm CST

Shocking Teen Trends

I am so sad over the fact all of these kids are drag racing. Our town just lost a young man yesterday.  He was a great kid. On the honor roll since elementary school. His family is now suffering the consequences...broken hearts that will never heal.

December 1, 2007, 7:04 pm CST

No car / No license / No problems!!

#1.  If that 18 year old future vehicular murderer is still in high school then get rid of the car.  If the car is in the parents name then you have the legal right and moral duty to get rid of it.  He is obviously overly extremely immature and could learn some manners from the local kindergarten class.

#2.  Most states have a law that allows parents to revoke their childs drivers license.  In Colorado, all you have to do is take the license and a letter signed by you saying that you want your minors license revoked until the age of 18 (adulthood).  This relieves you from all the civil liabilities of your dangerous juvenile driver.

#3  Parents:  GROW A BACKBONE!!  Your immature and dangerous child driver does not have the right to drive.  IT IS A PRIVILAGE THAT MUST BE EARNED!!!

December 1, 2007, 7:58 pm CST

What are you thinking?

Quote From: adeadpoet123

dr phil you pick the dumbest replesentatives for street racing its funny but only sucky cars go 100 i know dominic personally is car is slow i raced him in my crappy truck and beat him i cant wait for this on monday dude and put it on myspace and you tube 100 is nothin
I hope you are just joking. Your user name is a little eerie. When you do watch Monday I hope Dr. Phil shows the reality of what happens to you kids that race. We lost a 17 yr. old yesterday in our city. I know he and the other boy were just having fun but they lost control and he flipped several times. Now his family has to pay. They will have broken hearts forever because of a needless accident. Please stop racing before you kill or hurt yourself and those you love or kill someone else and hurt their loved ones. Racing is soooo selfish!

December 1, 2007, 10:39 pm CST

ridiculous

This is absolutly ridiculous! I'm one of Dominic's best friends and I saw this coming from the moment he drove his car till he got it impounded!! I've only ridden with him once and that was before he got his license. It was me, him, and his mom. And boy, did he drive like a maniac. His mom told him to slow down at almost every block including the freeway. I've never ridden a car with him ever since......

But the point i'm trying to say is, he made this decision and he really screwed it up for himself. And i'm glad he learned his lesson and so did Justin. They're still good friends of mine, and i'm glad they're still alive to pay the price.

December 2, 2007, 3:11 am CST

hi

It's not good .
 Bad habit

December 2, 2007, 6:49 am CST

Street racing

I lost a loved one due to 2 kids racing on Christmas Eve about 10 years or so ago; she was the Mother of 2 grown boys whom were traveling in the car behind her with her brother  in as well, so their Mother and sister was broadsided during the morning hours on Christmas eve, on her way to work, and her sons and a brother in the car directly behind her on their way to work, as usual! The kids ran a red light while drag racing, and she was hit and killed instantly! yes street racing should be stopped, those kids were not killed but a lovely wonderful woman that was a joy to be around was killed when her broken ribs punctured her heart; she died in her sons and brother's arms before any ambulance could arrive, sadly this continues, and these kids continue to murder the innocent among us with their; "we are just street racing"

December 2, 2007, 9:06 am CST

Kids and cars

Ok, I want to know whwre kids are getting the resourses that allow them to have cars in the first place?

If its a parents car.....they should not be allowed access to the keys. If it is their own car, how did they get it? Did a parent buy it? Co-sign a loan?

Cars CAN be moving weapons of mass destruction. Driving is a privledge, not a right. If my teen has shown in other areas of her life that she is responsible, then maybe she has earned the privledge of driving my car......with limits and boundaries.

If she has shown that she is irresponsible in other areas of her life.....what makes me think driving a car will be any different? Under no circumstances would she be allowed to drive my vehicle.

December 2, 2007, 9:33 am CST

What were they watching as children?

I live in Australia & have found that this is happening here as well.  Anything for utube will be done. 

But for Teens to be addicted to Illegal Street Racing is starting to get towards handing your soul over to the Devil.  If a Teen wants to do this sort of thing, then what were they allowed to do/watch  when they were kids. 
Did Dad boast about how fast he could go, show his kid,( whilst in the car), how much fun it is to feel the car shake at such speeds?   Whoop & holler as if they won a victory?!!! 
What were these Teens doing as they were growing up in their childhood?  What sort of Dare Games did they play against each other?  
Did the parents know where they were at every moment?  Not to the extent of having a thumb over them, but being responsible about where & what their kids were doing or would do.   Kids will only go so far if their Games are not monitored or the Adults see the Game as amusement. 
Yes, I do have Kids & yes, I do monitor their every move. 
No, they don't always like it, but it's either  my Husband & I take responsibility for what we allow our Kids to do, or the Police will.   We either let them go & cause havoc and let the Police, Ambulance & Fire fighters to chastise them, or worse pick up the pieces. 
My 3 Kids are 14, 13 & 12.   My 14 yr old is my Step-Son.  I married a Fire Fighter who has told us many gruesome stories of what he has to pick up.   Every time all 3 Emergency Departments are together at the crash site, their comments always are "Where are the Parents?"  "Why are they out at this time of the night?"
We do allow the Kids to dare each other, but as my Husband tells the Kids, "don't let your confidence outgrow your fear".   Yes, Kids need competition against each other, it helps them to grow with confidence, but the Parents need to watch what sort of competitions they are getting into.   As they get into these competitions, the parent needs to tell the Kids what the dangers are. 
As Kids grow into Teens, they need to be taught to take responsibilities for their actions.   But at the same time, the Teens need to remember that their actions will affect the Parent/s.  They have to think about how their Parent/s  will feel if anything bad happened to them. 
If the Teen is 18 & won't stop this sort of behavior, then it may be time to tell him to leave.   You do have rules they need to follow,  it is your house.  If they do not want that then they need to get their own house to make their own rules.  Yes you will still worry about them, but If they need to make their own rules & continue to act irresponsibly, then it might be time for you as the Parent to let go.

December 2, 2007, 9:33 am CST

12/03 Shocking Teen Trends

being a recovering 'teen trend terror' myself, I can understand how easy it is to get sucked in to a fast-paced world. (so to speak.) Group mentality is a dangerous thing and one can tend to drop all morals, beliefs, and fail to see retribution for actions...

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last