Message Boards

Topic : 12/03 Shocking Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 204
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:39:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s no surprise that teens engage in reckless activities, but kids today are doing much more than sneaking a drink of alcohol. The newest trends can be deadly for your kids -- from street racing to car surfing. Dominic, 18, is obsessed with illegal street racing, and his friend, Justin, boasts that he’s driven 147 mph on the highway! Dominic’s mother, Susan, fears for his safety, but doesn’t know how to control him. Can Dr. Phil get the boys to put on the brakes? Then, 17-year-old Trais was street racing when he accidentally killed a wheelchair-bound mother of two in front of her children. Don’t miss his strong message for Dominic and Justin. And, meet a mom who worries that her 13-year-old daughter spends more time in a virtual online world than in the real one. Can Dr. Phil help the girl return to reality? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 9, 2008, 3:35 pm CST

Totally agree with you!

Quote From: tiffany_2007

Okay I don't think most parents understand how much control they actually have over there children. But can you really blame them, look at the world we live in, we tell children they don't have to listen to there parents. They can do as they please. OH NOT IN MY HOUSE. I was watching a part of The View a couple of weeks ago when they had Bill O'Reilly on the show. And one woman said "But you cant make your child go to chruch" Bill looked at her and said "Oh yes you can, you can make them go, you just cant make them believe". Its so true, you can make your children do alot of stuff, but you just cant and I don't want to control there thinking. Dont we make our children go to school? Dont we make our children do there homework? Make them do there chores? Make them take showers/baths everyday? Then why not take there computer away, make them GET OFF OF IT. If I walked into find my very young daughter on the computer all night, and it wasn't the first time, she would find the computer in the basement packed up. I would go as far as take all the computers out of the home, get myself a personal notebook, and make sure she didn't have access to it unless for homework, which she would have to do in front of me. I think the next generation of parents with teenagers, will be better at handling the internet and there teens. We grow up with the internet and we know what the problems are with it. My sister did have internet as a child or even a teen. He first time on the internet was when she was like in her mid 20's in fact that is when she got her first computer. Now she has a pre-teen and I know she is going to be clueless with what to stay away from. I however will  not be clueless when it when to this. 

I am in total agreement. My daughter would get on the computer after she was supposed to be in bed and we yanked the cord for quite a while.  We haven't had a problem since.  I think parents understand they have power over their children they just choose not to exercise it! 

I loved the O'Reilly remark!  He's great!

January 10, 2008, 7:40 pm CST

About the diabetic young girl...

Doc, I think you should have the young lady live her life as a blind person for a week.   Then maybe she can see what she has to look forward to.  One can never get an idea of how it is to live with a disability until you have walked a mile in some one else's shoes!  A sort of "scared straight" move toward understanding what she is heading for.  Also, insulin deprovation wont work forever!

April 17, 2008, 9:52 am CDT

WITHOUT CONSCIENCE - RECOGNIZING THE REMORSELESS

How do we recognize the remorseless? One of their chief characteristics is a kind of glow or charisma that makes sociopaths more charming or interesting than the other people around them.  They’re more spontaneous, more intense, more complex or even sexier than everyone else, making them tricky to identify and leaving us easily seduced.  Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight are: 

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward AND Why Is It Always About You?: The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss

Treating Personality Disorders in Children and Adolescents:  A Relational Approach by Efrain Bleiberg OR The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout OR Without Conscience:  The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us by Robert Hare

What Parents Need to Know About Sibling Abuse: Breaking the Cycle of Violence by Vernon Wiehe OR Understanding Family Violence: Treating and Preventing Partner, Child, Sibling and Elder Abuse by Vernon Wiehe

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm 

Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh OR Getting Help:  The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Self-Assessment and Treatment of Mental Health Problems by Jeffrey Wood

Fundamentally, sociopaths are different because they cannot love. Sociopaths learn early on to show fake emotion, but underneath they are indifferent to others’ suffering.  They live to dominate and thrive for the thrill to win.  We all almost certainly know at least one or more sociopaths already.

Hope it helps! 

October 27, 2008, 11:44 pm CDT

My marriage was Ruined

First | Prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | Next Page | Last Page