Message Boards

Topic : 12/03 Shocking Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 204
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:39:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s no surprise that teens engage in reckless activities, but kids today are doing much more than sneaking a drink of alcohol. The newest trends can be deadly for your kids -- from street racing to car surfing. Dominic, 18, is obsessed with illegal street racing, and his friend, Justin, boasts that he’s driven 147 mph on the highway! Dominic’s mother, Susan, fears for his safety, but doesn’t know how to control him. Can Dr. Phil get the boys to put on the brakes? Then, 17-year-old Trais was street racing when he accidentally killed a wheelchair-bound mother of two in front of her children. Don’t miss his strong message for Dominic and Justin. And, meet a mom who worries that her 13-year-old daughter spends more time in a virtual online world than in the real one. Can Dr. Phil help the girl return to reality? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 30, 2007, 2:11 pm CST

interesting

will wait eagerly to see this one. we've had afew deaths due to street racing in our city too.

November 30, 2007, 9:02 pm CST

Street Racing

Without even seeing the episode yet, I have thoughts to share.  I think illegal street racing with teens is a very bad thing.  It’s bad enough the U.S. has enough deaths with teens driving “normally”.  I dated a guy when I was 17 who liked the “art” of street racing and even though he wasn’t actively participating in it when I was dating him, it did in fact make me rather uneasy especially when he wasn’t doing it simply because he totaled his car because of it.  And I actually remember saying to him, “well I guess you learned a valuable lesson that day, huh” and his response was something on the lines of, “yea I shouldn’t race stupid people” (in theory the other racer ran into him) either way I thought he was “not so smart” for thinking that, because one could easily say that he was stupid to be racing in the first place!  Back when I was in high school I didn’t go to my local high school, I actually went to a magnet school and my mother one day actually made a comment about, if nothing else she was relieved that I wasn’t attending my zoned school because of the death rate there.  I’d say at least once a year there was a death of a high schooler that was cause of a car accident at their fault, because they either were going too fast or racing another student to or from school.

I think America should have stricter laws when it comes to teen drivers and regulate as well as enforce them better.  In other countries when it comes to driving they have a “graduating system” where as time goes by teens get more privileges such as: driving at night and driving with others, etc.  We at least in some states have a degree of that, but I think we need a greater degree of it.  When I say the following I don’t mean directly regarding teens, but sometimes driving seems more like another job then anything, because you have to stay aware of your surrounding and react quickly not to get hit.  I have been almost rear-ended more than once and was saved simply by me seeing the tailgater and letting my foot off the break allowing me roll forward enough to not get hit.

December 1, 2007, 6:16 am CST

Not just in large cities, it's everywhere!

It was so very strange that I saw this 'teaser' on Friday.

I had just found out last week that my son is a sponsor of one of these clubs.

They will argue that it's just a club for car shows and mets at drag race strips but that is so wrong.

At the site n a s t y r a c i n g. n e t when you register you can read the forum and there are challenges with others all over the place.

Also if they know you personally you can email the adim of the site and get a passcode to get to the part of the fourm where the real Street Racing info is.

The admin of this site is a guy who owns a local Pizza shop.  If you look at the other 'sponsor's website you can see he has a car lot loaded with muscle cars for these kids!

I am so angry about this and the disregard for people and their families.

My son is not a kid, or so he would like to tell me when I challenge him on some things he does, and I usually get 'it's none of your business'!

Someone needs to make it 'their' business!!

December 1, 2007, 6:22 am CST

2 Fast 2 Furious!

It's not always "teens"

It's everywhere and it's as deadly as any drug.

I can't wait to see this show!

December 1, 2007, 8:16 am CST

street racing

hi I can't wait to see this  on Monday

Because this is happening every where I can't wait to hear what Dr. Phil has to say about this

see you on Monday at 4;00 pm

December 1, 2007, 10:25 am CST

Dumb

This reminds of what happened with Hulk Hogan's son. His son did this same thing and now his son's friend is permantly in a coma. Hogan's son has been charged and may end up in jail. These kinds of things need to be halted before anymore innocent lives are destroyed.

December 1, 2007, 11:38 am CST

Common sense is missing

Something that teens today just don't get is that driving is not a right, it's a privilege.  If it were my child, I would do whatever it took to stop the behavior.  First, I would take the license away and it that didn't work,

I would simply notify motor vehicle and have them suspend the license.  Remember, not just one life hangs in the balance, it could be many lives.  Think of how something like this impacts the whole family,

a multitude of friends, and sometimes entire communities.  My son's best friend was speeding over a country road and rolled his vehicle many times.  Four lives were changed forever.  The officer who responded to the call tried to reassure one of the occupants that she would be okey as he looked down at her exposed brain.  They had to collect the pieces of the driver.  It was horrific! 

I attended the funeral with my son.  There were over 400 of his classmates there.  I hope that I never have

to do that again.  And that is why I would take any measure necessary to prevent something like that from happening.

I know this is terribly graphic, but experience makes us passionate about addressing the problem.

December 1, 2007, 1:49 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Phil Shocking Teen Trends. Street Racing in USA Are you kidding me? I donot like that.at all. See---

You on Monday December 03rd, 2007. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------

December 1, 2007, 2:14 pm CST

I can empathize

As a teen I did race a couple times - one on one - not the "street racing" thing and won every time.

Later when not much older drove my car from Detroit to Kalamazoo at 140mph to just see if I can do it.

After My first marriage I made a visitation to my daughter in Rapid City SD (from Farmington hills MI) by driving 120mph the entire distance only making "pit stops" for gas.  It was invigorating and comfortable.

It certainly kept me awake and alert!  Now, older, I think I would not do it again.

December 1, 2007, 4:24 pm CST

I know dominic:)

dr phil you pick the dumbest replesentatives for street racing its funny but only sucky cars go 100 i know dominic personally is car is slow i raced him in my crappy truck and beat him i cant wait for this on monday dude and put it on myspace and you tube 100 is nothin

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last