Message Boards

Topic : 12/11 Plastic Surgery Nightmares

Number of Replies: 156
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 06, 2007, 03:08:11 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The recent tragic death of rap superstar Kanye West’s mother, Donda West, has put a spotlight on plastic surgery and the risks involved. Donda died one day after her tummy tuck and breast reduction procedures. Is her cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Jan Adams -- whose surgery center is housed in a strip mall, who isn’t board certified and who has a long list of malpractice suits against him -- to blame for her death? Joining the discussion is Senior Editor of People magazine, Galina Espinoza, who shares what Adams had to say shortly after Donda’s death, board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Andrew Ordon, and Dr. Adams’ uncle and former business partner, Dr. Pearlman Hicks. Plus, some of Adams’ former patients reveal what they say were horrific experiences under his knife: Jama says her full-body lift has left her disfigured, numb and unable to be intimate with her husband, Lori says Dr. Adams left a surgical sponge inside her after performing a breast surgery, and Rachel says she was left looking like she was sawed in half after her tummy tuck incision burst open four times. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 26, 2007, 2:38 pm CST

Correction

Quote From: christab

You do make a lot of good points and I certainly can see where you're coming from.  I agree with a lot of your post.

I guess I just feel that, say if I was going to have some elective surgery done, I would first make sure I was not getting the "doctor with a bargin".  I feel quality service/product is always going to cost more than a not so good job.  That is why you have to go to a guy that is going to charge a lot of money.  There is a better chance that the procedure will go well.  That's what I meant when I said that folks shouldn't have anything done if they can't afford too, cause to have it done right is gonna cost a lot of money.

I agree with you on the "butcher" thing and I do feel sorry for the woman who were hurt.  But I feel like we have to look out for ourselves and not make it possible for these doctors to do this to us.  Especially, if having the surgery is not life threatening,

I am not sure how much that woman with the lower body lift was charged by Dr Adams, but I think my mom's cost somewhere around $50,000 at least.  I'm not sure exactly, but I know what she was charged was normal for that procedure. So, that's all I am trying to say is if the woman paid a subsantially less amount, that might be a red flag.  Plus, you can't cut corners with this stuff.  The woman wanted to have to much done at once.  That is to much for the body to take.

My moms surgery was actually around $10,000..not $50, 000, I called her and asked.  But even so, I am curious.  In CA ,how much does a really good lower body lift cost?  And how much did that first guest pay Dr Adams for her lower body lift?

December 26, 2007, 7:46 pm CST

Thank You For Understanding

My moms surgery was actually around $10,000..not $50, 000, I called her and asked.  But even so, I am curious.  In CA ,how much does a really good lower body lift cost?  And how much did that first guest pay Dr Adams for her lower body lift?

I'm appauled at what doctors get away with.  And how victims are 'lured' by promises of good outcome without the high price.

I don't know how much the victims' surgury costs, and I really don't care.  It shouldn't be a case of 'how much you can pay'.

December 27, 2007, 12:52 am CST

The Doctors are the educated ones

You do make a lot of good points and I certainly can see where you're coming from.  I agree with a lot of your post.

I guess I just feel that, say if I was going to have some elective surgery done, I would first make sure I was not getting the "doctor with a bargin".  I feel quality service/product is always going to cost more than a not so good job.  That is why you have to go to a guy that is going to charge a lot of money.  There is a better chance that the procedure will go well.  That's what I meant when I said that folks shouldn't have anything done if they can't afford too, cause to have it done right is gonna cost a lot of money.

I agree with you on the "butcher" thing and I do feel sorry for the woman who were hurt.  But I feel like we have to look out for ourselves and not make it possible for these doctors to do this to us.  Especially, if having the surgery is not life threatening,

I am not sure how much that woman with the lower body lift was charged by Dr Adams, but I think my mom's cost somewhere around $50,000 at least.  I'm not sure exactly, but I know what she was charged was normal for that procedure. So, that's all I am trying to say is if the woman paid a subsantially less amount, that might be a red flag.  Plus, you can't cut corners with this stuff.  The woman wanted to have to much done at once.  That is to much for the body to take.

To add to my previous post, the doctors are supposed to be the educated ones, who knows what's best in whatever it is they specialize in.

Patients most often do not understand medical terms, and think the 'doctor knows best'.  We put our trust in the medical profession, because we have been 'groomed' to trust them.  We've even been belittled for 'assuming' we know what's best for our own bodies and health, and belittled for questioning the 'experts'....after all, we're just lowly human beings without the medical degrees....of course, they know best....so we think.

There are ligitimate doctors with a heart, that make surguries available to the lower income patients who couldn't ordinarily afford the expense.  But as the 'market' grows, so does the malpractice.  The malpractice suits in the medical field are growing, not because of 'frivoulous' concerns, but because they have been preyed upon and butchered and left with scars that will last a lifetime.

The 'doctor with a bargain' could be a legitamate doctor who actually has a heart for those who cannot afford the expense ordinarilly.  The tragedy is that certain doctors take advantage of the underprivilieged.  To me, this is the worst kind of malpractice, because not only do they take advantange of them, they also blame them.

December 27, 2007, 11:50 pm CST

If you will look at your post...

Quote From: beckyknapp

If you will look again at my post, you will see that I never ONCE said "they deserve what they got." I SAID people who make foolish decisions and dash madly into something as serious as plastic surgery HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE CONSEQUENCES of their OWN bad choices/decisions. I think every one of these women  should find a REPUTABLE surgeon to repair  Dr. Adams' messes ...  but without  doing  the homework  they should have done in the first place (a 10-minute "consult" before a 10-hour surgery .... hellllllo, anybody home????), they made a bad choice in going to a STRIP MALL, with NO after-care to speak of, to have plastic surgery. Does that sound even RATIONAL to you???? It doesn't to me!

I am not saying it was rational, they made a poor choice, yes. I am not debating that. So you going off in a rant about rational choices is irrellevant to what I posted.

You said, quote, "You can't feel real sorry for people who rush head-long into something as major as plastic ...... I don't feel sorry for any of them."

Hmmm, how were you not being insensitive then?

You DID insinuate that they deserve it because they didn't check into it better; just because you didn't use the exact word "deserve" doesn't mean it was not implied. Understand people make bad choices, this doesn't mean they deserve to be disfigured.

Obviously they made a poor choice for something that was a major deal. However, I still feel sorry for them, unlike you. I don't think it is their fault. We are all ignorant at one point or another, (including you, I'm sure). What if you went bungee jumping tomorrow and got into a horrible accident. If you get disfigured from the accident should we not feel any compasion for you? After all we all know that bungee accidents can happen.....and you DID willingly get into the straps. Stupid choice? I know this isn't the same as plastic, but can't you understand the insensitivity of your comments? Can you not see how you were insinuating that these ladies deserved what they got for being so ignorant?

Just because somebody makes a bad choice, doesn't mean they don't deserve a little compasion.

December 28, 2007, 8:07 am CST

Maybe it is insensitive but....

Quote From: alanna_vezeau

I am not saying it was rational, they made a poor choice, yes. I am not debating that. So you going off in a rant about rational choices is irrellevant to what I posted.

You said, quote, "You can't feel real sorry for people who rush head-long into something as major as plastic ...... I don't feel sorry for any of them."

Hmmm, how were you not being insensitive then?

You DID insinuate that they deserve it because they didn't check into it better; just because you didn't use the exact word "deserve" doesn't mean it was not implied. Understand people make bad choices, this doesn't mean they deserve to be disfigured.

Obviously they made a poor choice for something that was a major deal. However, I still feel sorry for them, unlike you. I don't think it is their fault. We are all ignorant at one point or another, (including you, I'm sure). What if you went bungee jumping tomorrow and got into a horrible accident. If you get disfigured from the accident should we not feel any compasion for you? After all we all know that bungee accidents can happen.....and you DID willingly get into the straps. Stupid choice? I know this isn't the same as plastic, but can't you understand the insensitivity of your comments? Can you not see how you were insinuating that these ladies deserved what they got for being so ignorant?

Just because somebody makes a bad choice, doesn't mean they don't deserve a little compasion.

There is no other way to look at it.  On some level I feel sorry for those patients as people who are now disfigured.  But honestly, how vain that broad was who had to have her breasts enlarged and then it didn't go right. 

It is not that we are heartless people but....dang!!!  That boob job did not need to be done.  Kind of serves her vain @ss right.  Boob jobs are crazy as it is.

December 31, 2007, 12:23 am CST

i have to agree here

There is no other way to look at it.  On some level I feel sorry for those patients as people who are now disfigured.  But honestly, how vain that broad was who had to have her breasts enlarged and then it didn't go right. 

It is not that we are heartless people but....dang!!!  That boob job did not need to be done.  Kind of serves her vain @ss right.  Boob jobs are crazy as it is.

to me its just nuts to go under the knife in the name of vanity. Okay maybe if you have huge ears and you get laughed at daily or a huge nose and i mean huge, why would you go through the pain and the possibilty of infection and or death?  Its plain nutso! People are so obsessed with the way they look these days. Come on people there are more important things to worry about. We are at war here and you are worried about your boobs not being plump enough? Geez!

First | Prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next Page | Last Page