Message Boards

Topic : 12/11 Plastic Surgery Nightmares

Number of Replies: 156
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 06, 2007, 03:08:11 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The recent tragic death of rap superstar Kanye West’s mother, Donda West, has put a spotlight on plastic surgery and the risks involved. Donda died one day after her tummy tuck and breast reduction procedures. Is her cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Jan Adams -- whose surgery center is housed in a strip mall, who isn’t board certified and who has a long list of malpractice suits against him -- to blame for her death? Joining the discussion is Senior Editor of People magazine, Galina Espinoza, who shares what Adams had to say shortly after Donda’s death, board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Andrew Ordon, and Dr. Adams’ uncle and former business partner, Dr. Pearlman Hicks. Plus, some of Adams’ former patients reveal what they say were horrific experiences under his knife: Jama says her full-body lift has left her disfigured, numb and unable to be intimate with her husband, Lori says Dr. Adams left a surgical sponge inside her after performing a breast surgery, and Rachel says she was left looking like she was sawed in half after her tummy tuck incision burst open four times. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 11, 2007, 12:14 pm CST

POOR KANYE'S MOM??

Ok first of all with all the money Kanye West makes his mother could have gone to ANY reputable surgeon  in Beverly Hills. But instead she chose to go to a hack who has horrible credentials and isn't certified because apparently she wanted to have all the surgery done quickly and not take the time to go to a  doctor to get checked out prior to going into surgery. She had gone to a surgeon in Beverly Hills prior that told her before he could perform the surgery she needed to go to a physician to make sure she was healthy (and had no prior problems -- heart etc) enough to endure the surgery. But of course she didn't want to wait and take his advice so she went to this guy who worked out of a mall. GIVE ME A BREAK. Honestly, I don't feel bad for anyone who has botched up plastic surgery, YOU KNOW THE RISKS, YOU KNOW THE SURGERY IS NOT NECESSARY AND YOU KNOW ITS IMPORTANT TO FIND SOMEONE WHO COMES HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND CERTIFIED. These are grown adults, not children. Every time you go under the knife for plastic surgery that is the risk you take and if your stupid enough to go to a guy in a strip mall (or go to someone you find in the yellow pages playing eeeny meeny miney mo) and think he's going to do a terrific job then I pity you. When you have to go in for any kind of surgery, you always have to do research on the doctor who will be preforming it, and that goes with EVERYTHING, not just plastic surgery. EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET A GRIP AND STOP TRYING TO GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING. If its price they are looking for and a better one then they need to go to Brazil, the plastic surgery capital of the world. I am done ranting, the bottom line is that Kanye's mom should have listened to the first plastic surgeon she went to. Never be in a rush for anything. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

December 11, 2007, 12:32 pm CST

Not an excuse, but...

There is not question that this man should not be practicing medicine.  He obviously doesn't care about his patients as people, only as income.

However, it seems some of these horrible incidences could have been prevented.  Some of these patients spoke to numerous other physicians who gave their honest opinion about how a surgery should be done, but they called around until they received the answer they wanted to hear.  IF you already spoke to a number of reputable doctors and got the same answer, why would you take 1 doctor's answer just because it was what you wanted to hear?  WOuldn't you cross verify that information?

The desperation in this country to look good has clouded people's minds.  If you were looking to be cured of something, you wouldn't take the one oddball answer from 1 doctor just because he said so.

Is it just me?

Jamie

December 11, 2007, 1:09 pm CST

Totally not right!!!!!!

I had a tummy tuck about 8 years ago. I disagree with the physicians on today show.......I had numerous sugeries on my belly starting with an appendix, which was opened up 3 times for infection, I then had double hernia's, I then had 3 babies, and was cut on my stomach for those. After the last baby, I actually have 4, but the 3rd was a normal vaginal delivery, but after the last baby, a year later I had a hysterectomy and a Tummy tuck done at the same time. Both my OB dr. and plastic surgeon were there. It was a very very painful operation, but I healed beautifully, no problems at all. You cannot even really see the incision at all. So yes I do not agree with the Dr.'s who said if you had previous abdominal surgery, chances are there will be a problem. That is BULL, my stomach looked like a map prior to my tummy tuck, and I had no issues at all.  I feel for everyone on the show today, my prayers are with you.

December 11, 2007, 1:12 pm CST

12/11 Plastic Surgery Nightmares

Quote From: marianparoo

I can understand wanting to to plastic surgery, it is a personal thing and I won't be judgemental with that.

I can understand not checking out credentials, not everybody knows how to do that (ask your local librarian about how to do that kind of thing, folks!).

But to go to a "surgeon" that operates out of a strip mall or, as I heard once on, I think, Larry King, a trailer park -- I mean, Hello, shouldn't that cause a few red lignts to flash?

No matter how brightly those lights are flashing, there's always a certain element of society who chooses to ignore them. Those who think they're getting a bargain. That's why I think Jama, Lori and Rachel bear some responsibility for their predicament.
Jama was told, by at least three plastic surgeons, that the amount of surgery she wanted should be done in at least two sessions. But, "wanting it over with" quickly, she chose a non-certified "surgeon" in a strip mall. Who, after a mere ten minute consult, did "everything" in one session, leaving her body a scarred mess.
Lori had already gotten a "boob job" elsewhere. That, like many, had gone bad. So, she turned to Adams for some "corrective" surgery. Who, not only made her breasts look even worse, but left a sponge in one of them. For almost seven years. It's a wonder it didn't kill her.
Then, there's Rachel. With the tummy tuck that burst open four times. Leaving her badly scarred. Guess where she got Adams' "credentials" as a plastic surgeon? Didn't she say it was some TV program he was on? I quess that, and "bargain" pricing, were the only "credentials" she cared about. 
Buyer beware, gals. You get what pay for.

December 11, 2007, 1:12 pm CST

i have a nightmare surgery story

I had breast reduction. I developed a HOLE, to which 6 feet of gauze had to placed in 2 times a day. I had a nurse come twice a day to change the guaze. Needless to say my breasts are not pretty and in fact they are ugly. I did go to a lawyer whose response was, I am sure you have a case, I am just not sure I want to be the lawyer who exposes a womans breasts in court. lol. I wouldn't have cared. I showed everyone. In fact I showed the lawyer. I live in Canada and it is not dont as often in the country.

December 11, 2007, 1:28 pm CST

Quote From: greenid

There is not question that this man should not be practicing medicine.  He obviously doesn't care about his patients as people, only as income.

However, it seems some of these horrible incidences could have been prevented.  Some of these patients spoke to numerous other physicians who gave their honest opinion about how a surgery should be done, but they called around until they received the answer they wanted to hear.  IF you already spoke to a number of reputable doctors and got the same answer, why would you take 1 doctor's answer just because it was what you wanted to hear?  WOuldn't you cross verify that information?

The desperation in this country to look good has clouded people's minds.  If you were looking to be cured of something, you wouldn't take the one oddball answer from 1 doctor just because he said so.

Is it just me?

Jamie

It isn't just you. They call it cosmetic surgery for a reason. It still involves anesthesia, scalpals, stitches and extended recovery time. Anything could go wrong. It ought to be done in a hospital equipped to deal with complications. Not in a strip mall.  Jama, who blew off everyone else's advice, in favor of the lone "surgeon" willing to do things her way, is responsible for her own predicament.

December 11, 2007, 1:35 pm CST

I'm just watching the Dr. Phil show about Dr. Adams.  It is apparent that Dr. Adams is not a reputable doctor.  It is also obvious to me that the peopl on the show complaining about him need to take some responsibility also.  Who would go to  a plastic surgeon that has an office in a strip mall and someone you have only seen prior to surgery.  Don' t get me wrong, these women don't deserve what happened to them but they need to take some responsibility also.

December 11, 2007, 1:40 pm CST

Quote From: rieder60

I had a tummy tuck about 8 years ago. I disagree with the physicians on today show.......I had numerous sugeries on my belly starting with an appendix, which was opened up 3 times for infection, I then had double hernia's, I then had 3 babies, and was cut on my stomach for those. After the last baby, I actually have 4, but the 3rd was a normal vaginal delivery, but after the last baby, a year later I had a hysterectomy and a Tummy tuck done at the same time. Both my OB dr. and plastic surgeon were there. It was a very very painful operation, but I healed beautifully, no problems at all. You cannot even really see the incision at all. So yes I do not agree with the Dr.'s who said if you had previous abdominal surgery, chances are there will be a problem. That is BULL, my stomach looked like a map prior to my tummy tuck, and I had no issues at all.  I feel for everyone on the show today, my prayers are with you.
 I thought "Dr" Adams, who refused to be on today's show, gave that excuse to Lori. But the doctor, who was on the show, refuted it.

December 11, 2007, 1:47 pm CST

Come on people, surgery leaves scars

I just watched the show, but I think it would have been nice for the doctors to explain surgery scars.  I had a c-section, and I have a scar from that and numbness.  But I think it is realistic to expect some type of scar after an incision.  I think television has glamorized plastic surgery, because they don't show the scars of "successful" procedures.  Just the end result, picture perfect photos.

I really feel sorry for the 3 guests, but they should accept some responsibility too.  The woman with the breast implants.  She was having problems from the implants which is why she was referred to Adams.  I would have sought a 3rd, 4th opinion and not found a surgical sponge 7 years later!  The lady who lost 200 pounds, as they said she needed revisions.  She has alot of extra skin. And the lady with the tummy tuck, she also was an unlikely candidate with the surgery she had as a child.

I hope this show will encourage people to do their research first!

December 11, 2007, 1:52 pm CST

Witchhunt

There are plenty of plastic surgery horror stories.  Why is Dr. Phil (and the rest of the media) just focusing on Dr. Adams?  It seems to me that most people who get plastic surgery are just vain, and won't be happy unless they come out looking like Pamela Anderson. 

One woman on the show said that her implants were sagging, which means that she had already used another surgeon, and was not happy, so she called Dr. Adams.

What if Kanye's mom died from an overdose of her medicine, or a heart attack,  and not the surgery? This man's career is ruined because of the media.  I'm not saying that he's a good dr.  I don't know him, but I think that people deserve their day in court. 

How many people have died after surgery?  How many doctors have been dogged by the media for it? 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last