Message Boards

Topic : 12/11 Plastic Surgery Nightmares

Number of Replies: 156
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 06, 2007, 03:08:11 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The recent tragic death of rap superstar Kanye West’s mother, Donda West, has put a spotlight on plastic surgery and the risks involved. Donda died one day after her tummy tuck and breast reduction procedures. Is her cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Jan Adams -- whose surgery center is housed in a strip mall, who isn’t board certified and who has a long list of malpractice suits against him -- to blame for her death? Joining the discussion is Senior Editor of People magazine, Galina Espinoza, who shares what Adams had to say shortly after Donda’s death, board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Andrew Ordon, and Dr. Adams’ uncle and former business partner, Dr. Pearlman Hicks. Plus, some of Adams’ former patients reveal what they say were horrific experiences under his knife: Jama says her full-body lift has left her disfigured, numb and unable to be intimate with her husband, Lori says Dr. Adams left a surgical sponge inside her after performing a breast surgery, and Rachel says she was left looking like she was sawed in half after her tummy tuck incision burst open four times. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 11, 2007, 1:58 pm CST

BAD PLASTIC SURGERY

HI DR PHIL,

WELL, I FEEL REALLY BAD ABOUT YOUR GUESTS UNFORTUNATE EXPERIENCES WITH THEIR PLASTIC SURGERY.  DR ADAMS SHOULD BE HUNG OUT TO DRY!!!  HOWEVER, I HAD A FACELIFT 1 1/2 YRS AGO AND IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE.  I BELIEVE THAT IS BECAUSE I WENT TO 6 DIFFERENT DRS FOR CONSULTS, SPENT 2 YRS RESEARCHING THE PROCESS, CHECKED ALL CREDENTIALS ON THE DRS I SAW AND DID NOT GET IN A HURRY TO PROCEED.  I DID ALOT OF SOUL SEARCHING.   I MADE SURE THAT I HAD REALISTIC EXPECTIONS, DISCUSSED IN GREAT DETAIL WITH MY HUSBAND AND OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS.  I ALSO SEARCHED WITHIN MYSELF ASKED MYSELF IF I WANTED THIS FOR THE RIGHT REASONS.  THEN,  I FOUND THE DR I FELT COMFORTABLE WITH, CHECKED HIM OUT, MADE A LIST OF QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE GOING INTO SURGERY.  THESE WOMEN DID NOT DO ANY OF THESE THINGS.  WHILE IT IS TERRIBLY UNFORTUNATE THAT THEY FEEL THEY HAVE SUFFERED, I DO NOT BELIEVE THEY DID THEIR HOMEWORK.  THIS IS YOUR BODY AND FACE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!  AND ABOVE ALL, YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE REALISTIC EXPECTIONS AND KNOW THAT PLASTIC SURGERY WILL NOT CHANGE AN UNHAPPY LIFE.  IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY BEFORE YOU WON'T BE HAPPY AFTER NO MATTER WHAT.  MY FACELIFT WAS NOT PAINFUL AND I STILL LOOK MY AGE, JUST RESTED AND THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT AND SHOULD EXPECT FROM ANY PLASTIC SURGERY.  IF YOU GO INTO IT WITH THAT ATTITUDE YOU WILL BE HAPPY.

THANK YOU AND I HOPE PEOPLE WILL REALIZE THAT THEY HAVE TO CARRY SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN HEALTH.

PEGGI HARRINGTON

December 11, 2007, 1:59 pm CST

Judgemental:

We don't know the full stories and to sit in judgment against others who unfortunately chose a Dr who botched their surgeries is unfair. It sounds to me they checked out their source as best as they could under the circumstances believing the Dr was a reputable plastic surgeon no matter where he did his surgery as long as it was a certified clinic for out-patient surgery. As far as Kanye's mother, she also choose to go to this Dr and to be criticized as if to say, oh it's too bad for her, she could have gone anywhere. Well that's right she could have, but she chose Dr. Adams. Fortunately for the rest of todays guests they can get revisions that will repair the scars they have.

December 11, 2007, 2:04 pm CST

Sorry

Quote From: adamsam

I didn't see the show today, but i'm really interested in this story about Michael Funk who supposedly was butchered by Dr. Gunter who did a revision rhinoplasty on his nose.  Did the story air today?

The story has some holes, so it's hard to say who's at fault as Dr. Gunter is a very good surgeon.  Michael's nose apparently rotted out.  There's some photos here (not for the squeamish):

http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=3816

Also, they were talking about it on the makemeheal messageboards that it is supposed to be part of today's plastic surgery nightmares show on Dr. Phil:

http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/viewtopic.php?t=65868

Did this story air, as I wanted to see what Michael's nose looks like after having revision surgery.

The show was only about Dr. Adams.  They didn't mention the Dr. Gunter.

December 11, 2007, 2:14 pm CST

Exactly!!!

Quote From: ramair

It isn't just you. They call it cosmetic surgery for a reason. It still involves anesthesia, scalpals, stitches and extended recovery time. Anything could go wrong. It ought to be done in a hospital equipped to deal with complications. Not in a strip mall.  Jama, who blew off everyone else's advice, in favor of the lone "surgeon" willing to do things her way, is responsible for her own predicament.

To whomever replied to Jamie...........

December 11, 2007, 2:19 pm CST

Plastic Surgery

As I was watching the show today on plastic surgery nightmares and the situation over Dr Adams I found myself getting a little frustrated. First off I want to say that I really feel for these women who have had bad experiences with plastic surgery. I had surgery in march of this year so I know a little about the whole thing.

What I wanted to say is Why don't people follow their gut instincts??? It is 2007 and with all the publicity that plastic surgery gets these days you would think that people would be extremely thorough and cautious before letting someone cut them.  In reference to the first lady on the show why would you let someone actually cut you open after only a 10 minute conversation and no pre op consult?? If you were that strapped for time and money than maybe you should not being having plastic surgery. After all you get what you pay for.

As for the other ladies, they mentioned that he was rude, arrogant, condescending, etc, then why let him operate on you? If you do not click with your surgeon then do not let him do the procedure. There are plenty of good surgeons out there and with a little "shopping" around you can find one that fits well with you and your needs. For me personally, if I felt my surgeon was condescending or rude in any way, he would not have operated on me. Also, I would not have surgery in an outpatient setting that was part of a strip mall. It just looks shady. I'm not against having surgery at a non hospital site because mine was at a surgery center separate from the hospital but I was also told that if any complications arose I would be transported to the hospital associated with the center. It was much like what you see on Dr.90210 (if you are familiar with that show).

Surgery, especially for cosmetic reasons, is very risky and should be very well researched even if that means several consultations with several surgeons, it is not something to take lightly. We are talking about our lives and the reason most people have plastic surgery is to improve their appearance and having a botched surgery or terrible scars is not what we are looking for so wouldn't taking the extra time to find someone highly qualified to operate on you be worth it?  Now I know that there are no guarantees and even with an excellent surgeon complications can still happen, but that can be reduced by taking your time and being thorough. One other reason to do your research, you are paying for everything on your own with no aid from insurance and did you know that some insurance companies will not pay for after affects/complications from plastic surgery even after it is done?  Plastic surgery should not come with coupons. Come on people, do some research.

December 11, 2007, 2:23 pm CST

Today's Show

My heart certainly goes out to today's guests.It's alos a wake-up call about the dangers of plastic surgery if it isn't done by a board certified surgeon who has access to a hospital in case the unthinkable might happen.I am all for cosmetic surgery but I would certainly do plenty of research and I would ask a lot of questions and really know enough to make an informed choice in selecting a surgeon.

December 11, 2007, 2:36 pm CST

Blind Faith

For the posters who are hard on the victims of these botched surgeries I would say that hindsight is 20/20. People look up to doctors.  We expect them to be truthful when they say that they can perform a procedure.  We expect them to be concerned with our concerns and not laugh or belittle us.  I am a nurse and I would not risk my license working at an office that sends a patient to a hotel after a 10 hour operation. 

We can learn from these unfortunate cases but we should not condemn them.  They trusted.  All of us have been guilty of that.  There are a few pieces of advice that I would give someone looking for a plastic surgeon.

1.  Ask your primary care MD for a referral to someone he trusts.  Doctors are well aware of the reputation of other doctors.

2.  Just because a doctor is on TV or newspaper advertising does not make him a good surgeon- it just means he made a commercial.

3.  Insist on a pre-op visit.  Most surgeons would not even consider NOT having one.

4.  Be sure that he is board certified.  The brochure may say "We have board certified MD's" but you need to ask your surgeon if he is 1 of them.

5.  Ask how many of these procedures he has done.  How long has he been a board certified plastic surgeon?  Insist on experience. 

6.  The cost of the procedure, while important, is not important enough to risk your life.

I am sure that others can offer more advice but that is a start.  My heart goes out to the victims in this show. I hope that you find healing.

December 11, 2007, 2:43 pm CST

Justice for Dr. Adams

We should go back to the " tar and feather" justice system. He needs to be tarred and feathered and sent to Iraq to work there. See what they do when he pulls this stuff. PJ

December 11, 2007, 2:54 pm CST

What type of Board Certification?

I would like to remind people that all doctors must be board certified.  The question you need to ask is whether this doctor is board certified in plastic surgery.  They may very well be board certified as a general surgeon, but not a plastic surgeon.  Also, ask if you can speak to former patients who have had the procedure you are wanting to have.  Personally, I had wonderful results with plastic surgery and would do it again in a second!

December 11, 2007, 2:55 pm CST

It's Unfortunate But...

You have to do your research. If you can't afford to go through the proper procedures for a surgey then you shouldn't do it. NEVER TAKE SHORTCUTS WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR HEALTH. That goes quadruple for something as demanding as a full body lift. Ten minutes is not enough time for consultation about a surgery unless it's absolutely necessary. You wouldn't buy a car after talking to a salesman for ten minutes. And talking to the office staff does not replace talking to the physician.

Never think someone is reputable b/c they are on TV. You wouldn't go to a car dealership and buy a car just b/c you saw the TV commercial.

I have never heard of an implant being partially covered by muscle. My eyebrows would have been raised. I would have turned around when I see I'm having surgery in a strip mall. That's just me. There will almays be more $$$, but there will never be another me.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last