Message Boards

Topic : 12/11 Plastic Surgery Nightmares

Number of Replies: 156
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 06, 2007, 03:08:11 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The recent tragic death of rap superstar Kanye West’s mother, Donda West, has put a spotlight on plastic surgery and the risks involved. Donda died one day after her tummy tuck and breast reduction procedures. Is her cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Jan Adams -- whose surgery center is housed in a strip mall, who isn’t board certified and who has a long list of malpractice suits against him -- to blame for her death? Joining the discussion is Senior Editor of People magazine, Galina Espinoza, who shares what Adams had to say shortly after Donda’s death, board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Andrew Ordon, and Dr. Adams’ uncle and former business partner, Dr. Pearlman Hicks. Plus, some of Adams’ former patients reveal what they say were horrific experiences under his knife: Jama says her full-body lift has left her disfigured, numb and unable to be intimate with her husband, Lori says Dr. Adams left a surgical sponge inside her after performing a breast surgery, and Rachel says she was left looking like she was sawed in half after her tummy tuck incision burst open four times. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 11, 2007, 2:58 pm CST

12/11 Plastic Surgery Nightmares

Maybe we should focus on why these women are willing to take out an extra mortgage on their home just to have plastic surgery. To do something so intrusive just to look pretty is so stupid, but putting yourself in debt to do it is absurd. I am tired of hearing people whine about their own uneducated decisions. If you talk to someone for ten minutes, show up at a strip mall, and let them cut you open, you really don't come out of it looking to smart. I put more thought into who gives my animals their shots.

December 11, 2007, 2:59 pm CST

i am confused

I live in Canada so much of the info on how to find a plastic surgeon doesn't apply in Canada but how does a Dr who is not board certified get on a show that tells you more about plastic surgery.  Why would they hire him to be on the show at all. I am shocked. I really have no idea how I would find a plastic surgeon in Canada.

December 11, 2007, 3:01 pm CST

As I live and breathe

Why would anyone go to a strip mall for surgery?  OK I buy glasses at the mall, but no one operates on me anywhere but in a hospital; isn't that common sense?

Dr. Adams is worried about HIPPA laws?  Geeze Louise.  He has some nerve.  Did I hear correctly, his uncle, Dr. Hicks sued him?  Why is Dr. Hicks claiming the race card; or as he put it "part of the problem."  I'm sorry Dr. Phil, maybe can you explain this to us.

I'm sorry to all these victims that are in pain with what Dr. Adams did to them.  Rachael and the rest of you ladies are very strong individuals.   

I am looking forward to Jay's show.  Thanks Dr. Phil and Dr. Ordon for your closing thoughts.  I'm gonna check out those questions, on this site, what to ask a doctor, if we need surgery.

Pearlhanna

December 11, 2007, 3:07 pm CST

Exactly

Quote From: hollymama

Maybe we should focus on why these women are willing to take out an extra mortgage on their home just to have plastic surgery. To do something so intrusive just to look pretty is so stupid, but putting yourself in debt to do it is absurd. I am tired of hearing people whine about their own uneducated decisions. If you talk to someone for ten minutes, show up at a strip mall, and let them cut you open, you really don't come out of it looking to smart. I put more thought into who gives my animals their shots.
You are so right!!

December 11, 2007, 3:10 pm CST

plastic surgery nightmares

I am not condoning the botch job surgeries Dr. Adams has performed -- it's reprehensible, actually -- but it seems to me that every one of these women were in such a rush to "be beautiful" at a cut-rate cost that they'd have let the local butcher do their surgeries if he could do it quick and affordably. Each one of them was in such haste to get these operations, they didn't even look too far into the doctor who was going to be performing the procedures on them. It's pretty telling about how little the woman with the bad tummy tuck knew about her doctor that in speaking about him on Dr. Phil, she called him ""John" instead of "Jan!" And the woman who had the full body procedure says she told her husband he should divorce her ... because she has SCARS????? Oh, please, ladies! I wouldn't go to a DENTIST I hadn't  thoroughly checked out, and if something seemed as fishy as this doctor's modus operandis, I'd be out the door faster than you could say "exit!" All of them were more interested in having the plastic surgery done than having it done by a reputable, researched doctor. You can't feel real sorry for people who rush head-long into something as major as plastic surgery with less contemplation than they'd devote to choosing a roast at the grocery store. When you make impulsive, slap-happy decisions, you end up stuck with the consequences of your folly. I don't feel sorry for any of them.

December 11, 2007, 3:19 pm CST

Agreed!

Amen to that!

December 11, 2007, 3:28 pm CST

Yeah but......

None of these women deserved this kind of treatment. This "Man" is a monster ! To laugh at someone, after doing what he did, is plain monstrous. I just hope our judicial system has the insight to put him away for a long time. At least 20 years would be justice where I sit. PJ

December 11, 2007, 3:29 pm CST

12/11 Plastic Surgery Nightmares

Quote From: r4sure97

There are plenty of plastic surgery horror stories.  Why is Dr. Phil (and the rest of the media) just focusing on Dr. Adams?  It seems to me that most people who get plastic surgery are just vain, and won't be happy unless they come out looking like Pamela Anderson. 

One woman on the show said that her implants were sagging, which means that she had already used another surgeon, and was not happy, so she called Dr. Adams.

What if Kanye's mom died from an overdose of her medicine, or a heart attack,  and not the surgery? This man's career is ruined because of the media.  I'm not saying that he's a good dr.  I don't know him, but I think that people deserve their day in court. 

How many people have died after surgery?  How many doctors have been dogged by the media for it? 

I agree with what you wrote!

December 11, 2007, 3:33 pm CST

IT'S SCARY

IT'S VERY SCARY BUSINESS,I've never had plastic surgery,Iam sure thinking about it in the future,I need to be very caution in what Doc I choose. I will definatley do my homework.

December 11, 2007, 3:35 pm CST

common sense was missing

Jama wanted a quick fix and she got it unfortunately she will be paying for it the rest of her life.  A woman who did not care to do research she closed her mind to what other doctors said not one shred of common sense. The second lady the only mistake she made was trusting that her doctor was sending her to a good plastic surgeon . Just because your doctor recommends them you still need to check them out. The third  lady omg I feel very very sorry for her. It is common for doctors to tell you if you've have scar tissue from  any previous surgery you are high risk most might not touch you  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last