Message Boards

Topic : 12/12 Christmas Chaos

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 06, 2007, 03:13:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
'Tis the season to be jolly, but some households are filled with more coal than candy. First up, Jose thinks Christmas is too commercialized and hates Christmas trees, lights and holiday parties. His wife, Tammy, says he’s just a cheapskate, and says one year he gave her a stuffed animal that he found in the dumpster! Can Dr. Phil get Jose to change his “bah humbug” ways? Then, since Gary's mother died, he tries to bring his father, Albert, and siblings together, but says gossip and jealousy keep them apart. His sisters, Wrajean and Cheryl, complain that Albert idolizes Gary’s wife and treats her better than his own daughters. The last time the family got together for the holidays was in 2002. Can they gather ‘round the Christmas tree this year? And, for the fourth straight year, Dr. Phil and Robin host Christmas in Washington to help celebrate the true holiday spirit! See special performances by R&B superstar Ne-Yo, country crooner Alan Jackson, pop star Katherine McPhee and High School Musical’s Vanessa Hudgens'. Christmas in Washington airs Wednesday, December 12 at 10 p.m. EST/PST exclusively on TNT! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 12, 2007, 1:46 pm CST

Can we make Christmas Christian?

I could not help but to comment on this subject, because I too agree with the guest today that Christmas is a pagan holiday. The date of Dec. 25 was chosen by the Church of Rome in the 4th century which is the date that was dedicated to the Sun god.   As regards the Christmas tree, in previous times evergreens were regarded as having magical powers.  If you research, as I did, the origin of other Christmas related traditions, such as lights, mistletoe, and gift-giving you will find that none of these were ever associated with Christianity.  And what about the fact that the date of Jesus' birth is nowhere in the scriptures?  Only the birth of Jesus was celebrated in the bible, and never is there any mention of continuing to celebrate his birthday. For those who say God doesn't care if these traditions are rooted in paganism, 2 Corinthians 6:14 states in part "what fellowship does righteousness  have with unrighteousness and light with darkness?"  And 1Cor. 10:21, " you cannot drink the cup of the Lord and of devils, you cannot be partakers of the Lord's table and the table of devils (or demons)."

So would God approve of the fact that we claim to observe the most holy birth of his son Jesus on the same day that was previously observed by pagan worshippers?  We can say Christmas is just fun, the lights and decorations are pretty, it's been observed for hundreds of years but as Matt. 15:6 says, in part" you make the commandment of God of no effect by your traditions."  I guess we each need to decide for ourself.

We can still give gifts at any time of the year to our friends and loved ones, just because we want to, not because the calendar says to.  So today's guest husband can delight his wife with a gift from the heart and say "just because I love you.

December 12, 2007, 1:50 pm CST

OMG!!! DONT BE A SCROOGE!!

OMG this is unbelievable.... what a dork LOL!!  obviously he dont care about his wife... xmas is for family and show the meaning of " LOVE"   and to get something outta tha garbage is just rediclous, he needs 2 come to his senses!! 

~ Merry Xmas Everyone~   from my family To Yours!  :)

December 12, 2007, 1:58 pm CST

12/12 Christmas Chaos

I wish there is some way that family members can get along on Christmas. Even wars between nations are put on hold during Christmas. There must be a way how to control family chaos.

Everyone should lower their expectation, that is one of the reasons why anger charged atmosphere in the house on Holiday's creates so much pain and bad memories for us.

December 12, 2007, 2:15 pm CST

Sad

My boyfriend is almost the same way. This year he bought himself his gift $250 and most of the kids in the family gifts but then freaked out on me b/c I wanted to get some groceries. We don't have enough money for food until next friday and I am sure like every other year I won't get a gift or even any words to make me smile on christmas.

December 12, 2007, 2:19 pm CST

Christmas chaos

OMG ..... is this my ex husband I used to call him my dumpster diver lol I am laughing so hard I think i am going to cry.   This is just freaking unbelievable What an Idiot!!!

December 12, 2007, 2:21 pm CST

12/12 Christmas Chaos

December 12, 2007, 2:26 pm CST

christmas apart

I  know the loss of both my Mother and my Husband and though both made Christmas a sad time for me I either stayed away from people or stayed until the pain of memories made the happiness go away and then I left to be by myself and deal with my feelings.  I do feel for both the Father and the Daughters but losing my husband, Billy, was worse than losing my Mother and I never thought I would say that statement but that is why I am writing this today.

With parents you always have the knowledge that you might out live them but with a spouse you always think you will grow old together when you get married, void any divorce, so when you loose the love of your life earlier then you planned your world STOPS and you want to leave it, no matter who is there with you, including your family, because there's a big hole that just can't be filled, no matter who tries, it just doesn't work, not when your grieving, we don't think, feelor care.  Grief has to be worked through and without a partner it becomes a test of strength and time so I can say to the Daughters stop and overcome you hurt feelings, be kind and forgiving of your Father and maybe you can heal before you never have the chance.

I hope you never have to walk in your Fathers shoes, I have and I can tell you, the walk is very LONG .... but life does go on and the sun does shine again and laughter makes you smile and family is there again and so is the love you have always wanted.      

December 12, 2007, 2:26 pm CST

12/12 Christmas Chaos

That  Jose is a hypocrite. God doesn't want him to do this.

Bate and switch, that how he married that Christian woman.  

He should have been up front there will be Christian holidays disrespecting and birthday disrespecting, he would have her foot in his ass.

Is that's why they say cheep Jew???..... He gives Jews bad name!....

December 12, 2007, 2:27 pm CST

Disagree with advice to family

When my mother died I went to my father looking for the feedback I was used to getting from my mother. I didn't get it. I was confused, somewhat hurt, and disapointed. I believe the family disagrement stems from the daughters not getting their feedback from their father that they got from their mother who was obviously the nuturer of the family. Their mother was the central character in their Christmas and all her belongongs do not have the same meaning to their father as they do to the girls. The father, son, daughter-in-law, and most importantly the daughters need to understand their needs and who gave it to them. I have enjoyed the show and have gained some important insights from Dr. Phil and guests. This is the first time I have diagreed with the advice. You are batting a very high percentage.

George Freeman

Grand Forks, ND

December 12, 2007, 2:30 pm CST

Material Christmas

Christmas is becoming very materialistic! I don't buy gifts anymore. What I do

is give to the needy. Living on the East coast, the weather here  is cold, snowy

and there are people who can't afford clothes on there back never less have

presents. I believe Christmas is about giving of yourself to others. Our environment

is deteriorating and the last thing we need is more wrapping paper in the garbage.

Let's gather the family and give to others and  count our blessing because we're

all one paycheck away from being where these people are.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last