Message Boards

Topic : 12/18 Dangerous Daughters

Number of Replies: 130
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 13, 2007, 05:11:08 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Little girls are often the apple of their parents' eye, but what happens when these sweet, innocent daughters grow up to become dangerous young women? Dr. Phil's guests say their daughters are on destructive paths to nowhere. Krista, 22, was a beauty queen who went from wearing a tiara to walking the streets. She will beg, borrow and steal to get money to support her drug habit. She says if she doesn't get help, she will die, but you won't believe what happened after the Dr. Phil cameras left her house! Her mother, Janet, says after two overdoses and four trips to rehab, the family is beginning to lose hope that Krista can be saved. Find out what Dr. Phil tells Krista she must do in order to turn her life around. Then, Beverly and Gil's 26-year-old daughter, Barbara, brutally attacked Gil with a hammer while he slept. Why do they believe Barbara's ex-girlfriend, Corrina, is to blame for the attack? They say Barbara showed no signs of violence before the beating, but did they miss the warnings? Corrina says she has no idea what made Barbara snap, and she wants to clear her name. Barbara's sister and brother weigh in. Why do they also say Corrina is responsible? And, hear what Barbara has to say from behind bars.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 19, 2007, 7:46 am CST

An extra chromosome

Quote From: derevna33

Addiction is called a disease because recovering requires planning and dedication.  People are actually ill while in withdrawal, and they need medical care.  I believe you are right for accepting the awful fact that you had a major character flaw, and you tackled your problem singlehandedly.  That means you have True Grit.  (A lot more than most people have) 

Hi - if you do some research you will find that it has been found through multiple and reliable studies that addicts / alcoholics have an additional chromosome than non-addictive people.  In AA we believe it is a disease of the body, mind and spirit.  I have also learned, since being a recovered alcoholic myself for the past 12 years that there are some substantial differences between alkies and non-alkies. Social drinkers do not like it when they get a buzz that makes them feel whoozie and they stop at that point.  Alkies love it!  We drink to purposely get as whoozie as possible - the bigger the buzz  - the better! Non - alcoholics get tired when they have a few drinks since alcohol works as a depressant in non alcoholic people. Alcoholics in the early years of drinking get loaded with energy and are ready to party till the end of the night once we start drinking. These are difinately physical / mental responses that have nothing to do with character defect.  We are born with this and whether or not we decide to continue drinking once we realize we react this way, is our choice. If we do continue - it is a progressive situation that gets worse and more out of control as years pass.  Alcoholism tricks us into believing we are in control because some of us can drink one six pack over six months but if a person is an acoholic - there will be those time when we only intend to drink one or two and end up drunk after many more drinks.   It has nothing to do with how often we drink nor how much - it is about what happens to us when we do drink.  Not that we will get in trouble every time we drink or feel remorse every time we drink but drinking does cause problems or has caused problems in our lives - even though we did not want it to - after we started drinking - it was not up to us at times as to what would happen .   Sobriety is MUCH more than not drinking - it is living with a sound mind and high standard of character.  All of the truly sober people I know have VERY positive attitudes and are extremely grateful - even when times are tough and our intent is to educate and share our experiences to help people who many need it.   By your negative and angry attitude it does not seem like you are a very happy, joyous and free person.  By doing the 12 steps and sticking with the program many of us can truly live with happiness and joy.   Just this past year, my father died, my 18 year old nephew died of a ruptured appendix and my 45 year old sister in law died of breast cancer. I am a single parent of two, working three jobs and I have diabeties, a thyroid condition and several other illnesses that require daily maintenance but I still LOVE life - without drugs or alcohol and inspite of any of this - I am so thrilled with my life that I often am in awe of everything.   THIS is what true sobriety brings.   Anyone who does the steps and experiences the inner transformation - the spiritual awakening - that is promised in the 12th step - can have this   OR you can continue to try to control your drinking yourself and stay angry with a very negative and ugly disposition that doesn't help anyone including yourself.   My hopes are that you will put your ego aside and give AA a try - their way - not yours - why not? what have you got to lose?  By doing so, you have a wonderful life waiting for you!

December 19, 2007, 8:03 am CST

Beauty-Queen's mom

There is a problem with that mom!

Ive been around the block with addiction....I divorced a man after 10 years of marriage due to addiction issues.

Healthy people in recovery DO NOT take addictive medicines, prescribed or otherwise. They do not walk around with prescriptions in their purse, available for their addicted daughters to steal.

I would bet dollars to donuts that the mom is still dealing with addiction issues.

December 19, 2007, 8:15 am CST

12/18 Dangerous Daughters

Quote From: secondchapter

Those tears were not fake. Janet's highly emotional. Always has been. She was an emotional wreck with her daughter's antics.

How do YOU know she's addicted to prescription meds? Do you hear what you've said in your post about someone you don' t even KNOW? You saw her for approximately 45 minutes. You have 1) recommended rehab 2) diagnosed addiction 3) assumed her crying wasn't real 4) assumed she was "all about herself" 5) decided she is not clean and sober.

Wow. Do you predict lottery numbers too?

If an addict is taking prescription meds everyday (and more than one type was mentioned on the show) then she DOES have an issue.

Read the statistics. Talk to recovering addicts and ask them how often they take addictive prescription meds.

My ex-husband, who is 5 years clean cant/wont take anything addictive. Once you have crossed that line and become addicted to a substance, then you also deal with the very real problem of cross-addiction. Not just drugs/alcohol...but behaviour too. Gambling, sex addiction, shopping compulsions. All of it poses a problem and something they need to be on guard about for the rest of their lives.

My ex had wisdom teeth out a few years ago and spoke with his sponsor, his doctor and his counsellor about pain relief. Know what they ALL suggested? Not prescription drugs! Meditation, relaxation tecniques, lots of ice and sucking it up till it was over.

"I" only saw that mother for a few minutes too, and in that time I tell you what I know "for sure".

She IS NOT clean and sober. The definition of clean and sober does not include taking addictive medications.

She IS an addict....and not one of us on here needs to "diagnose" that. She is a self-admitted addict. A self- addmitted addict who continues to self-medicate with addictive prescription drugs.

December 19, 2007, 8:28 am CST

So Sad!

I was saddened watching this because during my career in law enforcement, I saw so many young girls and boys, as well as adults who fell victim to drug abuse.  I saw girls that turned to crack, heroin, meth, and pimps as a means to escape whatever pain they were experiencing.  Some of them were infected with HIV, while others had hepatitis and possibly other venereal diseases.  It broke my heart. 

I hope that Krista turns her life around.  Dr. Phil, thank you for helping this girl.  There are so many more young girls and boys like her.  It's one more life saved.  You've entrusted her with the best and my hope is that she will put in the work and time to better herself.

As far as Barbara's mother and father, stop making excuses for your daughter's bad behavior.  You know very well that her anger issues go way back.  Stop blaming Corrina!  Corrina don't feel guilty over this.  It's better for you to stay away from this family because Barbara is "their little girl" and it appears that they would've forgiven their little girl if she had succeeded in killing Gil.  Give me a break!  I wish your father had defended you or you had said something to fight back at Barbara's parents.  Corrina, I wish you had defended yourself, but maybe you were feeling so awful that you were speechless.  Consider yourself lucky that Barbara didn't smack you repeatedly with that hammer.  She belongs in prison and needs some serious therapy before being released into society. 

December 19, 2007, 10:59 am CST

Quote From: mommajulie

If an addict is taking prescription meds everyday (and more than one type was mentioned on the show) then she DOES have an issue.

Read the statistics. Talk to recovering addicts and ask them how often they take addictive prescription meds.

My ex-husband, who is 5 years clean cant/wont take anything addictive. Once you have crossed that line and become addicted to a substance, then you also deal with the very real problem of cross-addiction. Not just drugs/alcohol...but behaviour too. Gambling, sex addiction, shopping compulsions. All of it poses a problem and something they need to be on guard about for the rest of their lives.

My ex had wisdom teeth out a few years ago and spoke with his sponsor, his doctor and his counsellor about pain relief. Know what they ALL suggested? Not prescription drugs! Meditation, relaxation tecniques, lots of ice and sucking it up till it was over.

"I" only saw that mother for a few minutes too, and in that time I tell you what I know "for sure".

She IS NOT clean and sober. The definition of clean and sober does not include taking addictive medications.

She IS an addict....and not one of us on here needs to "diagnose" that. She is a self-admitted addict. A self- addmitted addict who continues to self-medicate with addictive prescription drugs.

I appreciate your thoughts. It was not said in a bashing or judgmental tone. Yes, Janet is an addict. She will always be an addict, just like me. I agree that a recovering addict is in dangerous territory when it comes to addictive medication. Nevertheless, in my opinion there’s a difference between “self-medicating and taking as directed. A wise sponsee of mine once told me that if she takes something beyond the explicit directions on the bottle, it is abuse. I agree. I will still defend Janet concerning her prescriptions because I have known her for far too long and there is not a secret between us. There’s no alcohol, no one’s getting high, she had been to some Alanon meetings before the show, and she truly, truly works on herself everyday. Is she perfect? Hell no. In addition, she’s the first to admit it. She’s eccentric and dramatic, and no one can make me laugh as hard as she does - and it’s all done clean and sober. Janet (like me) has her flaws, but IMO she is NOT “getting high” and she has not failed her daughter. Many members of AA and NA frown upon legitimate medication. While I completely understand why some prescriptions are frowned upon, I also think it’s tragic that someone with a legitimate disorder like depression or bipolar disorder would compromise the quality of their life because they were “against” taking any medication. In the end, it all comes down to the individual being completely honest with themself.

December 19, 2007, 2:35 pm CST

Krista

I just want to say thank you to Dr. Phil for helping Krista. She was my roommate at a sober living that we both lived at this last year. We were extremely close when she was "doing the deal" and it broke my heart to watch her continue to do what she was doing. She really deserves a shot at this thing. I stayed sober since that time and currently am coming up on 16 months. I just pray that she starts to feel even a fraction of the peace that I have inside. So once again, thank you Dr. Phil...

December 19, 2007, 2:38 pm CST

Krista

Krista is a troubled struggling young girl. My prayers are with her. I want to know what is up with the

Mom?!! She said she is in recovery..bull !!  I have been in recovery for 5 years and i know that people

that live the program don't have doctors giving them narcotic prescriptions to take "as prescribed" or not.

Anyone can find a doctor that will co-sign their B S and give them a prescription. My sister-in-law died

3 weeks afer her 40th birthday because a doctor believed her tales of woe. And she always said she only took them "as  prescribed " She is just as dead as any heroin junkie that has died from "too much"

DR. Phil I am supprised you missed it. That Mother should be in rehab also, and far away from her daughter for as long as it takes.                     Judy  in Palm Desert, CA

n

December 19, 2007, 6:29 pm CST

Don't know till your there!

Wow,

I watched the show last night and NO matter what Dr. Phil is Great!

I sat there and thought I was watching my life with my daughter.

Last year on July 4th, I was arrested trying to stop my daughter from running away with a boyfriend on drugs.... the police told me she's 18 let her go. LET HER GO??? Wait a minute I spent my WHOLE life protecting my 2 kids and making sure they were safe. Now I know somethings dangerous for her and I am to let her go...... And they wonder why kids that hit 18 do what they want and end up dead. I was told well at 17 and before you could do what you want but not at 18?

I was raised stricked, so I compromised and was tough but not tough??? Div. mom, trying to protect her kids maybe to much??
Anyway, after I was release from jail all hell broke loose, I found out my daughter was doing Meth. Prescription drugs everything but a needle??? And she never went and hung out?? At school. My Baby Girl was having sex, at school outside??? Smoking meth. in the bathroom, taking my prescription meds. anything and was normal when she got home or a great actress.

My kids are my life and lastnights show hit home for me, I understand how the mom feels, but I don't get her being on prescription meds. I had to stop taking my anxiety meds. and deal with anxiety and my pain meds. and deal with a  torn rotator cuff, Just because no matter where I would hide them or lock them up my daughter would get them.

We went to a Dr. and my daughter is on antidepressants and we have 3 good weeks and then she does something......

She's been in and out of mental health and counceling but if you don't have the money, like someone said on here the HELP is limited.

We always blame ourselfs what did I do for them to not care or to ruin their life???

I don't know the answers and have no clue what to do anymore, I am so worn out and tired and feel like everyday something is going to happen..........

Wish I knew what would make her stop??

Love my kids more than the World.........

December 19, 2007, 7:42 pm CST

THIS SHOW WAS SO MOVING..I AM A MEMBER OF A 12 STEP GROUP AND KRISTA IS JUST AS REAL AS ANY OF US...I WISH HER ALL THE BEST AND HOPE YOU UPDATE US ON HER PROGRESS...

December 19, 2007, 11:57 pm CST

Yes

Quote From: mommajulie

There is a problem with that mom!

Ive been around the block with addiction....I divorced a man after 10 years of marriage due to addiction issues.

Healthy people in recovery DO NOT take addictive medicines, prescribed or otherwise. They do not walk around with prescriptions in their purse, available for their addicted daughters to steal.

I would bet dollars to donuts that the mom is still dealing with addiction issues.

The whole time that I was watching the mother and daughter it was apparent that the daughter was under the influence but it seemed to me that Dr. Phil should have looked a little closer at the mother.  She was slurring her words while crying in a raspy drunk's voice.  She was very over the top.  Maybe the mom needs a little more than Al Anon can offer. 

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last