Message Boards

Topic : 12/18 Dangerous Daughters

Number of Replies: 130
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 13, 2007, 05:11:08 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Little girls are often the apple of their parents' eye, but what happens when these sweet, innocent daughters grow up to become dangerous young women? Dr. Phil's guests say their daughters are on destructive paths to nowhere. Krista, 22, was a beauty queen who went from wearing a tiara to walking the streets. She will beg, borrow and steal to get money to support her drug habit. She says if she doesn't get help, she will die, but you won't believe what happened after the Dr. Phil cameras left her house! Her mother, Janet, says after two overdoses and four trips to rehab, the family is beginning to lose hope that Krista can be saved. Find out what Dr. Phil tells Krista she must do in order to turn her life around. Then, Beverly and Gil's 26-year-old daughter, Barbara, brutally attacked Gil with a hammer while he slept. Why do they believe Barbara's ex-girlfriend, Corrina, is to blame for the attack? They say Barbara showed no signs of violence before the beating, but did they miss the warnings? Corrina says she has no idea what made Barbara snap, and she wants to clear her name. Barbara's sister and brother weigh in. Why do they also say Corrina is responsible? And, hear what Barbara has to say from behind bars.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 18, 2007, 11:43 pm CST

12/18 Dangerous Daughters

Quote From: cantbe

I gotta agree with you on that one.  Wow.

i agree the mother was as high as the daughter was it was unreal

December 18, 2007, 11:48 pm CST

Not trying to judge

Quote From: secondchapter

I have responded individually to some posts that blatently spew lies. This will be my last post.

Janet and I met in one of the 12-step programs in 1987. She has been my dearest friend ever since. She is the godmother of my sons. I was there when her youngest daughter was born. We have done theatre together to benefit the 12-step programs. She was there when I was depressed. She has been a rock throughout my divorce and new life as a single parent.

When the roads aren't covered with ice and snow, we spend a Saturday or Sunday together. We take out dogs to the dog beach. We go to garage sales. We go to Starbucks. We watch Tim Gunn's Guide to Style together. Her husband gets carry-out from the pita place. They grill outside. We swim, we laugh, we talk.

The woman shown on the Dr. Phil show was an exhausted mother at the end of her rope. The woman shown on the Dr. Phil show was the real deal. The tears were real and her appearance was haggard because of the stress shes been living with off and on with Krista.

The accusations that she was "high" and "out of it" are unbelievable. I met Janet in sobriety and I know her no other way. There's never been alcohol in their fridge. I've never seen her drink. If she appears "out of it" it's because she happens to be a very emotional woman. Anyone who knows her personally can attest to that. She does have a dramatic flair. But the accusations in some of the posts are completely unfounded and unfair.

Janet goes to Alanon and other 12-step meetings. She works so hard at overcoming her own negative tapes. She has not neglected her daughter. If she was a failure as a mother her other daughters would also be screwed up.

She went on the show to save her daughter's life. This wasn't about being a beauty queen, or a mother who failed. Janet knew going into this there was risk of blacklash. Television is two-dimensional. The producers were at their house for days. You saw what they wanted you to see. Here's what's critical - KRISTA GOT HELP. Dr. Phil talked to her and used his resources to get her into a treatment center. THAT'S why Janet went on the show.

I didn't know there were so many qualified inventory takers out there.

Peace.

First off, Janet said she did NOT go to alanon, but said she would when Dr Phil suggested it.  Also for a recovering addict she seemed kind of clueless keeping her prescriptions where her daughter could get them.  It seemed like she was on a lot of prescription drugs, and I hope she is being closely monitored because it is very easy to self medicate.

December 18, 2007, 11:58 pm CST

I have to agree...

Quote From: drumbum

I am so sick and tired of doctors and their diseases for everything. Drug abuse is not a disease, it is a life style. people on drugs or booze were not sitting a home one day and the drug or booze disease came calling. Addiction is a character flaw and i am really tired of people putting a sickness label on it. I started drinking and smoking when I was 12 or 13 and had committed myself to a pretty serious cocaine habit by the age of 28 or so. That was a flaw in my character, not a disease. Only when I decided to change that flaw did I kick the drugs, 15 years ago. At the age of 50, I haven't had a cigarette in almost 10 years and I might drink a case of beer in 6 months. So tell me, I took no cure,I attended no AL-ANON , no narcotics anonymous, I was not sent away to some glitzy rehab centre. No, I realized that i had a flaw in my character and I changed it myself  !!!!!!  This little brat with her addictions, needs to look at herself from the outside to see what kind of person she has become, and when she really sees and sees what she is doing to everyone around her, only then will she be ready to change her character and stop thinking only about themselves. That is most of problems with people on this show, they don't think of anyone other than themselves. We boomer's have raised a bunch of weak minded, socially retarded and morally devoid offspring, and we ask ourselves where did it all go wrong. Well people we went wrong and we taught our kids to be wrong, and we look too much to people like Dr. Phil to fix us, we don't need the Dr Phil's of the world, we need only look to ourselves to fix ourselves. PERIOD !!!! 
Even though I know we will both get bashed by the bleeding heart liberals.  A diesase is something you don't have a choice in,  nobody chooses to get cancer, diabetes, etc.  An addict chooses to take that pill, smoke that joint, stick that needle in her arm.  Until you choose to quit, you can go through "rehab" a million times and it just isn't going to work.  You have to make the choice to stop using, and stop giving addicts and alcholics a pass in society.  Stop making allowances for them and start making them responsible for their actions.

December 19, 2007, 2:35 am CST

Blocked memories and behaviors

I am in no way defending the actions of the daughter who beat her father with a hammer, that was horrible. I would however, like to suggest the possibility of her inability to explain her actions.  Her past violence as a younger child and an alleged concern about inappropriate behavior with her Dad and daughter makes me wonder if there isn't trauma in her background that she is unaware of and the concern about her own daughter perhaps triggered some disconneced memories and became the catalyst for her actions which were then dissociated. I hope while she is in prison and upon her release she gets the psychological help she needs and that this subject is explored for her sake and for the sake of her own child.

December 19, 2007, 3:27 am CST

Quote From: nnjgirl

I work in a prison, I see those behaviors ALL DAY LONG. tell me whattconditions your buddy takes adderal for. Janet is an emotional "wreck" & was giving an award winning performance. Oh, by the way, how many packs of cigarettes does she smoke a day?
Actually you don't have a clue.Get over yourself.

December 19, 2007, 4:55 am CST

deja vue

This former beauty queen sounds so much like my sister. She too will do anything to get drugs including selling herself. She has done this for years and even had a child from prostituting herself. I am raising that beautiful child who is now almost 12 and a straight A honor student.

My brother is also a druggie.

I agree that the mother also seemed high as a kite on the show. Not only does the daughter need serious help but so does the mother and I hope they both get the help before it is too late.

And on the one who attacked the father, there were many warning signs during her childhood that the parents chose to ignore and now they want to blame anybody but themselves and their daughter.

December 19, 2007, 6:31 am CST

Why not me???????

Well I really can't believe I'm writing this but what the heck. I watch your show today Dangerous Daughters and would like to know Dr.Phil why you went threw with the first one.(Cri). When she showed up high I would of told her to get out cause there are enough of us out there that would of the to have what you offer her. And I would promise you this I wouldn't show up HIGH , for  one    reason respect for you .I really hate this I am 48 years old and at the age of 12 my sister threw me in a van with 5 guys and her and  showed me the way to do it. From then i have use almost everything but favor  was coke for most of the time and went to meth to get of the crack and so proud of myself cause i don't do crack anymore but still meth.I have been to hell and back and tried  treatment center but i only last 3 weeks and did detox for 2 weeks and then i thought if i help t6he RCMP (Royal Canadian Mountain Police) and that is a joke.I have done everything from working the street to being really good at fraud and everything in between.But you see to get into treatment up here they cost alot of money and I don't have it. The govt ones have a waiting list 3month long. Now for the topper I come from a well off family that  I know that loves me but the one time I ask to borrow s500.00 to go to treatment my mother said NO. they HAVE NEVER HELP0 ME OUT WITH TREATMENT .I watch the show with my mother is a part time drunk since my father die 12 years ago. I told her at the end that she won't make it cause i could tell, i been there. There is so much more but you are a smart man why did you go threw with her, I believe you knew inside to.  But i have to say after what you said  about her being still the age when she started I am so scared to be straight  cause i have been high my whole life except for month here and there and I LOVE BE8NG STRAIGHT but as you know anything can happen and if you don't have the right tools to deal with thing your right back to the start.

December 19, 2007, 6:40 am CST

Janet's best friend

Quote From: secondchapter

I have responded individually to some posts that blatently spew lies. This will be my last post.

Janet and I met in one of the 12-step programs in 1987. She has been my dearest friend ever since. She is the godmother of my sons. I was there when her youngest daughter was born. We have done theatre together to benefit the 12-step programs. She was there when I was depressed. She has been a rock throughout my divorce and new life as a single parent.

When the roads aren't covered with ice and snow, we spend a Saturday or Sunday together. We take out dogs to the dog beach. We go to garage sales. We go to Starbucks. We watch Tim Gunn's Guide to Style together. Her husband gets carry-out from the pita place. They grill outside. We swim, we laugh, we talk.

The woman shown on the Dr. Phil show was an exhausted mother at the end of her rope. The woman shown on the Dr. Phil show was the real deal. The tears were real and her appearance was haggard because of the stress shes been living with off and on with Krista.

The accusations that she was "high" and "out of it" are unbelievable. I met Janet in sobriety and I know her no other way. There's never been alcohol in their fridge. I've never seen her drink. If she appears "out of it" it's because she happens to be a very emotional woman. Anyone who knows her personally can attest to that. She does have a dramatic flair. But the accusations in some of the posts are completely unfounded and unfair.

Janet goes to Alanon and other 12-step meetings. She works so hard at overcoming her own negative tapes. She has not neglected her daughter. If she was a failure as a mother her other daughters would also be screwed up.

She went on the show to save her daughter's life. This wasn't about being a beauty queen, or a mother who failed. Janet knew going into this there was risk of blacklash. Television is two-dimensional. The producers were at their house for days. You saw what they wanted you to see. Here's what's critical - KRISTA GOT HELP. Dr. Phil talked to her and used his resources to get her into a treatment center. THAT'S why Janet went on the show.

I didn't know there were so many qualified inventory takers out there.

Peace.

Way to go beat friend. There are too many people that bashed the mother when the real reason was to get help for her kid. If Janet is struggling with an addication at least she has tried to conquer it.People are so quick to judge. The show was about her kid not her. The others need to ask themselves how would they act if it was their kid. Keep being there for Janet, she will need to lean on you more than ever now. I wish her luck in the upcoming stress she has to go through.

December 19, 2007, 6:48 am CST

Mom has problems too

That mother is the cause of the daughters problems. I don't know why it wasn't addressed on the show. Why is she running around with all those drugs in her purse. HELLO! Recovering people do not do that! She either has the wrong doctors or I don't know something. She needs Dr. Phils help more than her daughter because it seems to me that her daughter is addressing her problem(for now) but the mother is using the daughters problem to take the heat off hers. I would like to see another show on those two.

December 19, 2007, 7:08 am CST

Quote From: drumbum

I am so sick and tired of doctors and their diseases for everything. Drug abuse is not a disease, it is a life style. people on drugs or booze were not sitting a home one day and the drug or booze disease came calling. Addiction is a character flaw and i am really tired of people putting a sickness label on it. I started drinking and smoking when I was 12 or 13 and had committed myself to a pretty serious cocaine habit by the age of 28 or so. That was a flaw in my character, not a disease. Only when I decided to change that flaw did I kick the drugs, 15 years ago. At the age of 50, I haven't had a cigarette in almost 10 years and I might drink a case of beer in 6 months. So tell me, I took no cure,I attended no AL-ANON , no narcotics anonymous, I was not sent away to some glitzy rehab centre. No, I realized that i had a flaw in my character and I changed it myself  !!!!!!  This little brat with her addictions, needs to look at herself from the outside to see what kind of person she has become, and when she really sees and sees what she is doing to everyone around her, only then will she be ready to change her character and stop thinking only about themselves. That is most of problems with people on this show, they don't think of anyone other than themselves. We boomer's have raised a bunch of weak minded, socially retarded and morally devoid offspring, and we ask ourselves where did it all go wrong. Well people we went wrong and we taught our kids to be wrong, and we look too much to people like Dr. Phil to fix us, we don't need the Dr Phil's of the world, we need only look to ourselves to fix ourselves. PERIOD !!!! 

Addiction is called a disease because recovering requires planning and dedication.  People are actually ill while in withdrawal, and they need medical care.  I believe you are right for accepting the awful fact that you had a major character flaw, and you tackled your problem singlehandedly.  That means you have True Grit.  (A lot more than most people have) 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last