Message Boards

Topic : 12/19 Parents’ Ultimate Test: Dealing with Autism

Number of Replies: 290
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 13, 2007, 05:12:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The ultimate test for any parent is loving a child who is difficult, sometimes frightening, to the whole family. It’s a test parents of autistic children are put to daily. Ten-year-old Luz throws screaming tantrums, barks like a dog, and tells his mother, Sara, that he plans to kill her. Sara has long felt despair at Luz’s out-of-control behavior, yet she was shocked when a doctor diagnosed him with autism. Go inside the daily life of this family, see Luz’s wild behavior caught on tape, and learn why Sara’s main coping mechanisms might be putting her at risk. Then, a member of Dr. Phil’s own staff achieved miraculous results for her autistic child and her whole family through an intense program. Could a similar treatment work for Luz? Plus, what causes autism? Several recent media reports and high-profile parents such as Jenny McCarthy have pointed the finger at vaccinations. Is there a link? Child care expert and pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears weighs in. Then, imagine having a crime committed against you, but not having a voice or any way to tell someone you’d been wronged. Some mothers in Las Vegas say that’s exactly what happened when a teacher allegedly abused their autistic children, and they’ve filed a lawsuit. Hear them recount the painful details of the alleged abuse. What are their chances of winning in court? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 15, 2007, 11:37 am CST

12/19 Parents’ Ultimate Test: Dealing with Autism

Quote From: califlori

After reading this shows intro about the child's violent behavior, it  worries  me that many people will view others with autism as potentially violent and even fear them. Violence is unusual for a person with autism. It is not the norm but gets the most attention of course.
Since my son was diagnosed in March of 2000, I've been studying this disorder and hope that the show conveys to viewers that autism does NOT look the same on every person and each person with autism has a range of mild to severe behaviors that can arise.
Many behaviors come and go as the child explores his world around him, tries to assimilate into the environments we've created and tries to desensitize himself to what can be overwhelming environmental triggers due to heightened senses.
We need to have compassion because the population of people with autism has exploded since the 1990's and many many families have made significant progress with children who may have seemed unteachable to many.

This enormous and growing population of people WITH autism (NOT autistics - impolite term to many) will be all of our co-workers, neighbors, spouses, class mates and ultimately our greatest teachers in the next two decades and then beyond. 
Your future grandchildren and even future son-in-law may have autism.
Please honor and respect them and if you know of a relative, friend, school mate, or neighbor with autism, please do not be afraid of getting to know them better. They will develop more acceptable ways of expressing themselves by watching your example and thrive with attention. Just try to ignore the autistic behaviors and treat them like everyone else. It may take practice.
The child featured on the show can be helped a great deal if the parent has help, resources and does research. What has helped my son the most is nutrition and biomedical help such as determining trigger foods, allergens and ridding the body of toxic build ups of yeast, metals, preservatives. Also, five years completed of speech and occupational therapies. And most importantly, treating and interacting with him as we'd treat him if he was any other typical child. He is now age 10 and doing better than ever expected.

If you love somebody whose life has been touched by autism, THEY may not have enough time and energy to go on-line and research from thousands of websites to learn about all of the wonderful and varied approaches to helping their child or loved one with autism to thrive.
YOU can help by learning all you can, reading, printing info and sharing with them.
I hope this helps inform someone and I sincerely will answer any questions posed as I care very much about these kids and this topic. I will be back on-line after the holidays though.
Thank you for reading.

I am with you there on everything you wrote!!!!!!! My son Ryan was diagnosed with autism back in Oct 2003

i been fighting the school district cause they just put him down is worldly challenged, instead of autistic....

he has come so far from that time since first finding out what was wrong with him, i am thankful it is not as bad as in some cases his is mostly speech.....they recently changed his diagnoses to speech & language impairments. He has changed so much since i had another baby so he is not an only child & trys to help me out with his baby brother......

December 15, 2007, 11:38 am CST

Quote From: yoyoqn

Autism is caused by a series of DNA strands.  It is not contagious, it is not caused by MERCURY in VACCINATIONS.

It's in the DNA people.

I am autistic, my brother may well be autistic, my niece is autistic, my two daughters are autistic.

Autism runs in my family.

But that's not what people want to hear.

Instead we have crack pots touting that if we remove all of the mercury out of the system, there's no more autism.  These crack pots say it's a cure.

It's not a CURE people, it's a deatth sentence.  This 'treatment' as well as it's 'results' were shown on both TV, and in several news magazines as what it is ....... a death sentence to children. So, don't do this to your child. It didn't work for the little children who died, and it will not work for your child either.

The only thing that works is early intervention (depending on the severity of the autism).

And yes sometimes drugs such as straterra, and prozac can help.

Sometimes even going to a wheat free diet will help.  Although it did not help in my case or that of my children; I've seen it work for other children who's autism was actually more severe than that of my childrens'.

But remember people, there is no proof whatsoever that Autism is caused by the vaccinations that prevent so many diseases.  That is simply incorrect.

I have a beautiful 4 year old little boy who was diagnosed with autism when he was 2 years old.  I am an Occupational Therapy Practitioner (OTA) and noticed signs in him before his "official" diagnosis was made.  I immediately got him Early Intervention.  When it was time to start preschool, he started attending a wonderful school for children with special needs.  While there, he receives speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and feeding therapy.  I am also pleased to say that I work in that school (although not with him as that would be a conflict of interest), and he is a happy, healthy and energetic boy whom I would not trade for anything in the world.  Sean is my life and has the sweetest disposition you ever would wish to see on a child-except when it's time to go to the doctor!

Nancy Fox, OTA

December 15, 2007, 11:42 am CST

Autistic Children

I leave in Texas and I am a Severe Aide for an Autistic Room.  My children can be very violent at times.  I have been scratched, hair pulled, bitten numerous times, but some days our kids are great.  It does take a special person to be able to deal with an Autism child.  You can scream and holler because it would go in one ear and out the other.  My kids are very smart.  You just have to know how to handle them when they become violent.  They can get violent.  I know a couple of my good teacher friends have been seriously injured behind kids, but they are still in this field.  I love working with Autstic children and I would not change my job for the world. 

Ms. Jones

Texas

December 15, 2007, 12:26 pm CST

Teaching kids who have Autism

Hello all....
I don't post many messages on this site (or at all for this matter), but Autism is an important subject for me.  I have worked quite a bit with autistic children at a school that I taught at.  I just wanted to say, that no matter what, everyone needs to remember that a child with Autism also has a unique personality, likes and dislikes, and feelings like everyone else.  When working or living with a child who has Autism, just remember that little changes and progresses should be celebrated, the developmental levels of children with Autism should never be compared to those of a child without Autism.  Doing this makes it more difficult enjoy the little things that can add up to a big deal!

December 15, 2007, 12:34 pm CST

Autistic Children

My grandson is 14 months old, and his Mom freaked over the statistics of children contracting, or coming down with autism soon after getting their mmr's. In fact she is waiting awhile to get his next one done, and I agree with her. This sounds like an epidemic and I am very concerned about it. Something is not right here. Whether it is or isn't the mmr's, these poor babies are suffering for some reason. I'm really hoping there is some serious research going on into this problem. If anyone can help get to the bottom of this problem, it's Dr. Phil.

December 15, 2007, 12:46 pm CST

I am a mother to a son with Autism. I can tell you that he got it from vaccines. His own pediatrician knows this as well. His ped. no longer suggests anyone get vaccines because of his knowledge that it DOES cause Autism. His own grandson also has Autism. Both his grandson and my son were both given the same vaccines at the same dose with other vaccines as well which is what caused it.  Some vaccines contain higher levels of mercury than others so when you pair them all together and give  them to a child all at once ( my son received 5 shots at his 18 month check up) it will and it DOES cause Autism. Now I have read extensively on this topic and what I find to be absolutly STUPID is that they say it doesn't cause Autism but causes symptoms LIKE Autism. I am sorry but if it causes symptoms like Autism and it doesn't go away then YES IT DOES CAUSE AUTISM! I am sick and tired of people saying no it doesn't because it does! No one wants to admit that yes these vaccines cause it because they don't want to be wrong and they don't want to deal with getting sued. To the previous poster that said Autism runs in the family etc etc. No it doesn't. Its NOT in your genes! Its a random thing caused by various things and vaccines is one of them. No one in my family or my husbands family has anything remotely close to Autism for my son to get it he got it from the vaccines. He went from talking up a storm to 4 months after his vaccines slowly not talking at all and finally ended up speechless till last year! I have went to many many meetings to meet other parents who have the exact same problem and the exact same thing happen to their children and we all have the same stories. They put tons of preservatives in vaccines now compared to when I was growing up and its these preservatives that is causing Autism. That is why there is such a rise in Autism cases! WHy is it so hard to believe? Sure you parents out there don't want to be guilty of injecting your children with harmful things but to come out and say no you dont' think its caused from vaccines is just plain ignorence. This subject really bothers me because I was lied to about what was really in the vaccines I allowed them to give my son. Had I been told the truth I would have never allowed him to get those vaccines. Ever since he was diagnosed with Autism none of our children get vaccines anymore. They have been very healthy since quitting vaccines. When they were getting vaccinated they were sick constantly and in and out of the hospital for various illnesses. Look at people who get the stupid flu shot! They get the vaccines and END UP SICKER than a dog and probably sicker than if they just chanced it and gotten the flu on their own without the vaccines! So if its not vaccines then how do you explain that? I have done my homework on this issue, I just wish everyone else would too so we can stop hearing all this nonsense saying that it doesn't cause Autism!

December 15, 2007, 1:13 pm CST

autism

I am an educational speech pathologist and I work with many children with autism in the schools. Children with autism have a language and communication disorder. They need information presented to them in a way that their brains can process. It is very effective to use their cognitive levels of functioning (often sensory motor and preoperational) and their language levels to determine what information they need. Using social stories helps them to see themselves in situations with others. I call what we do social stories but it is not the same as what most people understand. We draw cartoons about their actions, feelings, thoughts and add the other people around them. For this child portrayed in the picture... remember this child is acting out for more than one reason. But most often these kids act out from anxiety. We give the behavior a judgment or emotional label rather than describing it and looking for what the child needs. For these children we make a lot of assumptions and we infer for them instead of finding out what is going on in them. We "helicopter" information and directions to them as if they have all the back ground information needed to process that and go with it. They crave routine and structure and do very well with it. They NEED writing and visuals neurologically and if you want to really get to them, verbal or not, these are extremely successful. Many ideas involve techniques that are behaviorally oriented so you will get rote behaviors but you are not going to get increased language so you will get inflexible behaviors. and no internal change. My nephew was screaming because they just put him in the car to go shopping. They used all verbal explanations and he only screamed more. So I took a piece of paper and I drew out what we were doing and where we were going. He calmed down and was excited about going in the car. That is just an example of what people can do with children who have such a need for information (they all do but these kids can't picture what is coming next from what we say and do so no wonder they have problems.) If you really want some very very good information about working with children with autism.. look at the book just written called "Learning with a Visual brain in an Auditory World" but Ellyn Arwood and Carole Kaulitz. They are truly experts and make tremendous difference in the lives of these kids and their families. I could go on forever because I teach classes but basically this is the gist.. they need to write and draw.. movement from their own system.. even if it is hand over hand to get it because neurologically that gives them the most information processed best. It really works.

December 15, 2007, 1:59 pm CST

ASD is a spectrum disorder for a reason - all are not exactly alike.

Quote From: yoyoqn

Autism is caused by a series of DNA strands.  It is not contagious, it is not caused by MERCURY in VACCINATIONS.

It's in the DNA people.

I am autistic, my brother may well be autistic, my niece is autistic, my two daughters are autistic.

Autism runs in my family.

But that's not what people want to hear.

Instead we have crack pots touting that if we remove all of the mercury out of the system, there's no more autism.  These crack pots say it's a cure.

It's not a CURE people, it's a deatth sentence.  This 'treatment' as well as it's 'results' were shown on both TV, and in several news magazines as what it is ....... a death sentence to children. So, don't do this to your child. It didn't work for the little children who died, and it will not work for your child either.

The only thing that works is early intervention (depending on the severity of the autism).

And yes sometimes drugs such as straterra, and prozac can help.

Sometimes even going to a wheat free diet will help.  Although it did not help in my case or that of my children; I've seen it work for other children who's autism was actually more severe than that of my childrens'.

But remember people, there is no proof whatsoever that Autism is caused by the vaccinations that prevent so many diseases.  That is simply incorrect.

Maybe you're too close to the subject to offer such blanket answers.  Autism is a spectrum disorder, that means that by definition, each diagnosed child/adult is different.  And as far as evidence for mercury poisoning goes - it's everywhere.  We're advised to removed mercury fillings from our teeth, not to eat tuna that has been exposed to mercury, so why would we think that injecting 1,000 times the recognized safe levels of mercury into our infants and babies, would somehow be safe.  There is also tons of anectdoctal evidence from parents, siting dramatic changes in their babies after receiving these mercury laced vaccines.  But I suppose you don't want to hear from us parents.  The ones who have to endure the heartbreak of watching our babies disappear.  Try going to Dr. Neubrander's website for a little more enlightenment. 

Finally a note on 'the cure'.  I've been on this journey with my son for over 8 years.  (diagnosed at 2).  I am not so naive to believe that he will be cured.  However, I will go to the grave trying to make his live better, and preparing him to have a life with purpose, joy and most important - an abundant of people who love him and are loved in return by him. 

So please stop speaking of things that you are so ill informed.  We parents (mainly moms) have studied, researched, explored and experienced much more than you have in regard to autism.  We're the ones who have spent countless hours in consultation and research, digesting material written for researchers with Ph.D's, and observing/responding to our children's every need and gift.  We do it because there is nothing else to do, if we want the best for them.  We certainly can't wait for the educators and physicians.  We've organized ourselves into support groups, schools, advocacy groups and treatment options.  We've shared our findings with others in our neighborhoods, schools and on line with parents around the globe.  I've learned more from my fellow parents than I have with all the doctors combined. 

Are vaccines the only culprit?  That's yet to be confirmed, but until we have a thorough and completely unbiased study - we never will.  I do know this - even if we do prove without a doubt that it was the vaccines - either because of mercury and Thimersol, or because we've used a one size suits all approach to administering them.  Regardless - our pharmacuetical giants are now protected due to the ill conceived Eli Lilly clause of our Patriot Act, which offers them immunity.  Thank you George Bush.  So if all these parents are wrong - come out of hiding and prove it to us.  We can take it, we've taken worse.  Just make sure that the studies are free  from the long arms of the pharmacueitical companies. 

Sorry to ramble, but this is a passion of mine. 

December 15, 2007, 2:17 pm CST

Single Parent of a child with Autism.

I am a single parent of a 17 yr old beautiful girl with multiple disabilities, autism being one of them in addition to mild cerebral palsy, epilepsy and sensory intergration problems, saying it is difficult is a understatment, I wish there was more attention given to single parents as well who love there child and try to the best of there abilities to help there children live up to there greatest potential. As I tell my daughter  Chanell often, I just love you, that's all !

Arlene

December 15, 2007, 2:25 pm CST

Cooking fetuses

Quote From: califlori

After reading this shows intro about the child's violent behavior, it  worries  me that many people will view others with autism as potentially violent and even fear them. Violence is unusual for a person with autism. It is not the norm but gets the most attention of course.
Since my son was diagnosed in March of 2000, I've been studying this disorder and hope that the show conveys to viewers that autism does NOT look the same on every person and each person with autism has a range of mild to severe behaviors that can arise.
Many behaviors come and go as the child explores his world around him, tries to assimilate into the environments we've created and tries to desensitize himself to what can be overwhelming environmental triggers due to heightened senses.
We need to have compassion because the population of people with autism has exploded since the 1990's and many many families have made significant progress with children who may have seemed unteachable to many.

This enormous and growing population of people WITH autism (NOT autistics - impolite term to many) will be all of our co-workers, neighbors, spouses, class mates and ultimately our greatest teachers in the next two decades and then beyond. 
Your future grandchildren and even future son-in-law may have autism.
Please honor and respect them and if you know of a relative, friend, school mate, or neighbor with autism, please do not be afraid of getting to know them better. They will develop more acceptable ways of expressing themselves by watching your example and thrive with attention. Just try to ignore the autistic behaviors and treat them like everyone else. It may take practice.
The child featured on the show can be helped a great deal if the parent has help, resources and does research. What has helped my son the most is nutrition and biomedical help such as determining trigger foods, allergens and ridding the body of toxic build ups of yeast, metals, preservatives. Also, five years completed of speech and occupational therapies. And most importantly, treating and interacting with him as we'd treat him if he was any other typical child. He is now age 10 and doing better than ever expected.

If you love somebody whose life has been touched by autism, THEY may not have enough time and energy to go on-line and research from thousands of websites to learn about all of the wonderful and varied approaches to helping their child or loved one with autism to thrive.
YOU can help by learning all you can, reading, printing info and sharing with them.
I hope this helps inform someone and I sincerely will answer any questions posed as I care very much about these kids and this topic. I will be back on-line after the holidays though.
Thank you for reading.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_1709159.htm]
This article describes the effect of ultrasound on fetal rats.

Fetal brains are watery mucuos like organs.

Ultrasound is done to let impatient parents know the sex and "what their baby looks like."

They are also done to protect physicians from malpractice.

Ultrasound is radio waves that bounce off the hard and soft tissue of the fetus to create

an image.  We've only done ultrasounds routinely in the past 20 years.

Vaccinations have been around much longer.

As far as mercury goes, there has been mercury in the environment since we began burning

coal for power plants and industry and heating.  Probably far less today than 50 years ago.

I'm much more interested in prevention that treatment. 

It would be interesting to ask parents of autistic children if they had ultrasound.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last