Message Boards

Topic : 12/19 Parents’ Ultimate Test: Dealing with Autism

Number of Replies: 290
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 13, 2007, 05:12:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The ultimate test for any parent is loving a child who is difficult, sometimes frightening, to the whole family. It’s a test parents of autistic children are put to daily. Ten-year-old Luz throws screaming tantrums, barks like a dog, and tells his mother, Sara, that he plans to kill her. Sara has long felt despair at Luz’s out-of-control behavior, yet she was shocked when a doctor diagnosed him with autism. Go inside the daily life of this family, see Luz’s wild behavior caught on tape, and learn why Sara’s main coping mechanisms might be putting her at risk. Then, a member of Dr. Phil’s own staff achieved miraculous results for her autistic child and her whole family through an intense program. Could a similar treatment work for Luz? Plus, what causes autism? Several recent media reports and high-profile parents such as Jenny McCarthy have pointed the finger at vaccinations. Is there a link? Child care expert and pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears weighs in. Then, imagine having a crime committed against you, but not having a voice or any way to tell someone you’d been wronged. Some mothers in Las Vegas say that’s exactly what happened when a teacher allegedly abused their autistic children, and they’ve filed a lawsuit. Hear them recount the painful details of the alleged abuse. What are their chances of winning in court? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 15, 2007, 3:00 pm CST

12/19 Parents’ Ultimate Test: Dealing with Autism

Quote From: ramair

Just found out my husband's great-grandson is autistic. The show ought to be a valuable resource.
My grand-daughter is now 4 years old and in a special class at school with children with various disabilities. When she was about 18 months old she was evaluated and the family was told that she is autistic. She had been saying several words, was dancing and  singing . At 18 months she began talking , but in her own language and the other things she had been doing also declined. She tries so hard to talk and is so pleased when we understand her. She also repeats what we say to her, but we're trying to work with her so that she will be able to answer and not echo us so much. Her parents bought a video for her which teaches a little bit of sign language, it has helped a bit. The dificult thing for her is that sometimes she will go from about 8:00- about 3:00 in the morning singing or talking and laughing. Also potty training is one of her biggest challenges,sometimes yes and at times no. We are not at all anxious to medicate her because we feel that there are better alternatives. In the last six months two psychologists who again evaluated her said that they don't think that she is autistic, though she has several symptoms. They said that she is very affectionate and cooperative which they claim is not common with autistic children, however we do know that there are different types of autism. Thanks from the grand-mother of the little girl who has never forgotten how to say "HIIII" to everyone and as she rides in the car. Thanks Dr. Phil. I think you and your wife are so sweet.

December 15, 2007, 5:35 pm CST

Kids are Kids

I feel that even the intro for this segment is promoting false negative stereotypes. All children are difficult, this is not unique to autism.  Most children have tantrums and scream, there "may" be some children with autism who have more frequent tantrums and and who scream more, however, that is because they are using it as a means to communicate that their needs are not being met, or they are being overwhelmed. The percentage of people who are violent is exactly the same for people "with" as for those "without" disabilities, there is no reason to promote false misperceptions and heighten people's unfounded fears of those who are different in some characteristic.

It is not typical of people with autism to threaten to kill someone, any more then if you would find some other child of minority, be it race, religion, gender, hair color, weight or whatever, it should not be implied that because one child acts a certain way, every child with the same "label" is going to do the same things. People with autism can do wonderful things, and can contribute immensely to others and society. When is the Dr. Phil show going to show contributions by people with disabilities and start promoting acceptance instead of sensationalizing false negative stereotypes that make it harder for people with disabilities to be welcomed and embraced in their communities?

December 15, 2007, 6:00 pm CST

Quote From: yarncrazy

Having an adult daughter with Asperger's is difficult.  Many psych docs do not believe Asperger's exists.  They also don't believe it can be found in adults.  Well, it can.  I also have Asperger's and I am 56 years old.  No wonder I was the "odd one"!  Now, my daughter struggles with a world that does not accept autism.  After all, autistic people sit on the floor and rock or bang their heads against the wall.  I think autism is genetic.  What I find difficult is all of a sudden 1 out of 150 children are autistic.  If 1 out of 150 children are being found to be autistic today, what about all the children who are autistic and never diagnosed?  And, how will our nation accept these children when they become adults.  My daughter is loving, giving, a nurturer.  Can she get a job?  No.  I do not want her to lie and say she doesn't have Asperger's but when she tells them, she is turned down for the job.  Her greatest challenge area is communication.  It always has been.  When she worked at our local cinema, she was fired because she misinterpreted what her supervisor wanted her to do.  That was in January 2006.  She still hasn't found work.  She has been declared  disabled and receives assistance but we supplement her income.  She lives at home.  I worry about the future.  We have no family to assist her and she doesn't qualify for adult services.  So what happens to her when my husband and I are gone?  A researcher made the comment recently that "we know that  you don't adjust your underwear in public.  People with autism don't think that way."  How true!  It's that little bit that's missing - that little bit that ruins their lives.  Meltdowns?  She still has them.  Meds?  Yes, she takes them.  What she takes helps take the "edge off".  So . . . what do we do with our children when they become adults?  Can they marry?  Can they have children?  Can they hold jobs?  I don't have any answers and I need to know.  I want my daughter to be self-sufficient.  She isn't quite there yet.  She may never be.  She will always need a little help as a reminder or a push.  Who's going to give it when I'm gone??
I also was very concerned when I read the title & lead-in... I have Aspergers also & I am hoping that that part of the Autism spectrum is also covered. It's very hard for me to tell people I have autism. When I do they just look at me like "Duh" I have to explain that there's different levels & spectrums of the disorder & that NO I'm not the rainman I don't have to get my underwaer on thursday from K-Mart but I do have some idiosyncrasies that result from this. Autism is a genetic disease, it runs rampant through our family. I am just learning about a diagnosis that was made on me over 38 yrs ago, I had the luxury of being born & raised in a military home for the first few years, where a great deal of the doctors were from Europe & already had knowledge of this disorder (Aspperger's), but my mother being young couldn't handle the diagnosis & dumped me off with my grandmother & never told anyone til i started to do my family history. I found a bunch of cousins on the internet & we were in our group chatting back & forth & one of the cousins started getting irritated with me then another told her to shut up & leave me alone cause she knew I had autism, well i got mighty mad at the cousin who was trying to defend me, but she started to explain everything that I do which is exactly like about 30 people in our close immediate family so I started to research it myself, when I told me mom I thought that's what was wrong with me she exploded on me & said she didn't ever want to hear that s**t again & I was just fine & didn't act like the other retards in our family. So she knew my whole life but I had to wait to find out. I was in MENSA when I was little, I can not memorize a phone book, can't even remember where I put my keys, I rock when I get upset, I don't like being touched, but I have to touch everything, can only wear certain clothes, I talk funny sometimes get some things mixed up to the point I stutter when i'm trying to say things. I have 4 children 3 verified with Aspergers which I probably wouldn't have had had I known about my family history but they are wonderful functioning incredible human beings. I was very violent as a child/teen because I was beaten into coma's by an angry step-father but now I'm doing fine, I've never been violent with my children. I will continue to "adjust my underwaer in public" because that's who I am. I've learned to deal with it, & now that I know what my problem is I can deal with all of it easier. I don't take meds but I probably should... my meltdowns are less frequent now that I know what's causing them but I have the luxury of having a wonderful husband who shields me from alot of lifes irritants, if they could replicate him we'd have all the problems for autistic women solved but we can't. I have found people to be very curious & very understanding when I tell them, mostly they want to know what "it feels like", which is good for me because it pulls the focus off of whatever was stressing me out so bad that I had to declare it to a complete stranger, & gives me time to reload my guns so to speak. I thin the new Asperger's diagnosis is the replacing the ADD/ADHD diagnosis & those 2 things are very different. Which is very dangerous. We live in Washington who has an autism center & they diagnosed me as an adult & my teens & one adult child. They have support groups for us, for parents & a great website. Again I hope that all of the spectrums of this disorder are covered here bacasue I don't want someone running from me because they think I'm going to pound on them. Have you ever had your daughter think of volunteering with a school program for autistic kids? No one else is going to understand them like we do! There was a lady at the store with 3 autistic kids, 2 were very severe, she was freaking out & the kids were running around flapping there arms screaming & I found the middle point of the worst one, sat down in the middle of the floor in his circle & waited for him to run by & made an airplane noise finally he stopped & sat next to me & started making the same noise, then I stood up went to his mom's cart held on to it, the other 2 fell in line & we walked out to her car. She asked me how I did that, I told her I was autistic too & that he obviously got overloaded & was trying to drown out the sound of all the people but especially the cash register & that he just needed another focal point. She said it was okay for me to do it but she didn't think she could Huh? I said lady if your kid was bleeding in public you would put a band-aid on him & give him the care that he needed wouldn't you she said of course well this is him bleeding. Her & I are friends now she has my number & isn't afraid to use it! LOL! Also have your daughter try janitorial work, I do that when my health permits, no people around I do what I have to, & it's consistent work

December 15, 2007, 8:46 pm CST

Adults with autism

I would rather see a show about resourses for adults with autism then more stuff for kids. There is already a bountiful database for children with the disorder. Seems like as soon as you get past puberty you're pretty much left to fend for yourself.

I'm 22 years old. I was diagnosed with aspergers when I was 10. Learning how to drive was a nightmare, and I'm still scared to. Where was help for coping with that? Or even better, learning how to deal with romance in your life? I searched far and wide to try and find out why I feel nothing of the sort for a guy friend of mine. (more complicated than that.) and my search was fruitless. Come on Dr.Phil, you can take some time to help those who are basiclly left behind.

...About the teachers abusing autistic kids...Been there, done that. Damaged for life.

December 16, 2007, 8:01 am CST

I Have Aspberger's Syndrome!

Quote From: lt9tsilver

I would rather see a show about resourses for adults with autism then more stuff for kids. There is already a bountiful database for children with the disorder. Seems like as soon as you get past puberty you're pretty much left to fend for yourself.

I'm 22 years old. I was diagnosed with aspergers when I was 10. Learning how to drive was a nightmare, and I'm still scared to. Where was help for coping with that? Or even better, learning how to deal with romance in your life? I searched far and wide to try and find out why I feel nothing of the sort for a guy friend of mine. (more complicated than that.) and my search was fruitless. Come on Dr.Phil, you can take some time to help those who are basiclly left behind.

...About the teachers abusing autistic kids...Been there, done that. Damaged for life.

I have Aspberger's Syndrome.  I'm 21 years old and I am getting ready for college next year.  Right now I am taking a college prep class.  I was great to hear about someone else with this disorder.  Thanks!

December 16, 2007, 9:22 am CST

Great

I am glad to hear that you are all doing a show on children with Autism. I have a son that is autistic and know the battles and heartache that comes along with it. It took me along time to realize that I wasn't the victim that this just didn't happen to him but it happen to our family and I had to fight for him. When I came to grips with that my whole world changed. So anyone fighting this battle also don't give up and have faith cause it does get easier.

December 16, 2007, 10:19 am CST

I am concerned because it sounds like yet again we are going to show a severe case of a child with Autism. Yet again allowing the public school system to say this is why we  are restraining & locking children in seclusion rooms. The public school system's are abusing children on the Autism Spectrum and getting away with it.

December 16, 2007, 12:09 pm CST

Thimerasol

It makes me so angry that it took years for vaccines with mercury preservatives in them to be used up. We trust the drug companies to do no harm.  They, however, would never step up to the plate and recall the offending vaccine that parents were clamoring were making their kids autisitc.  Timerasol is not in new single dose vaccines but they were never recalled or removed from the pediatricians offices.  Most of the supply has now been used up (on our kids.)

I am sick and tired of hearing how mercury in vaccines has nothing to do with autism.  My son stopped talking after receiving a cluster of shots including the MMR- So do all the studies you want they don't mean anything to me.  No one asked me when the drug companies did their studies. 

When we found lead in toys there was a just and wise response.  Recall the contaminated toys.  Test your children's toys.  Heavy metals of any kind and in any amount are damaging to developing brain cells and neuron connections. 

When it was found that the same preservative, Thimerasol, was in contact lens solution there was an outcry and boycott of thimerasol containing solutions and it was removed. 

Parents ask your pediatrician if the vaccines your child will be receiving has thimerasol.  If their stock of vaccine still contains this toxin ask them to order preservative free vaccine. 

December 16, 2007, 2:51 pm CST

Autism

Hi Dr.Phil, I have a 10 year old daughter who has a form of Autism. There are times that I find myshelf getting mad when I ask her to do  her chores. If you have any tips I would be happy to try them on her. My husband and I have hear from her teacher that she is a very good kid. Thank you for doing a show on Autism.

December 16, 2007, 4:57 pm CST

I cannot watch this show...

As I have a child, and one might say "He's cured!" and in many ways he is a poster child for early intervention and alternative therapy...

and trust me, I give back to the community ten fold.

But, the experts will say there is NO correlation btw the shots and the ism...

But those of us who lost a child, who was Neuro-typical, to this epidemic...we know differently.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last