Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Number of Replies: 129
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:24 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's that time of year where we all take a long, hard look at our lives to see what's not working for us. Dr. Phil's guests say they desperately need to change unhealthy lifestyles or they might not make it to another year. Jill weighs 375 pounds and says she's afraid she'll die if she doesn't drop 210 pounds. Her friend, Cathi, says Jill is a miserable person, and she needs to stop making daily trips to McDonald's. Will Jill be able to put down the Big Mac and pick up some healthier eating habits? Dr. Phil has a drastic plan that will help her get on the right track. Then, Pam vows to quit smoking in 2008 but claims her husband, Eric, is one of the reasons she can't kick her 22-year addiction. Pam says she can't resist the urge to light up when he does. Will a recently discovered tumor be enough to make Pam kick the butts? And, Nyasha and Simone claim their sister, Victoria, has a toxic personality, and they're giving her an ultimatum: Get your act together or get gone! They say she curses, steals from relatives and starts fist fights with them in front of her kids. What's behind Victoria's bad behavior, and will she be able to change her angry ways before she alienates her family? Share your own New Year's resolutions and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 4, 2008, 4:23 am CST

good morning Debbie from Julie B

Quote From: edanddeb98

I  am overweight as well and I know when people get on my case it make me want to go eat.. I too hope Jill will make  progress with her weight  I watched the show again today and I feel Jill  really is ashamed of her weight  but cant seem to get her self under control  But then again who am i to talk I have the same weekenss.. Jill is a pretty lady  i hope the best for her..Jill if you read this  I am wishing the best for you in 2008  ... Debbie InFl

Good morning Debbie

Yes, people certainly aren't being helpful (to put it mildly!!) when they nag or make comments about your weight. Again, I wonder what it is in people that makes them rude enough to comment about someone's appearance.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest to lose weight. YOU CAN DO IT!!! I, myself,  would like to knock off some pounds.  While I am nowhere near what Jill weighs, I understand how hard it is to get started. I too have done stress eating. A slight from someone could send me hurtling back to feeling like my shy, awkward sixth grade self, left out of birthday parties and picked on by classmates. While this is a very very outdated image of myself ( I haven't been shy or awkward for years and have many friends) I guess there are still unresolved feelings that surface.    Sometimes food has been the antidote for these feelings, as well as a comfort after an disagreement with someone.  I am working on learning to face  these things head on, rather than getting a temporary, and not very healthy reprieve from food.

Hope your weather is warmer so you can get out for your walk.  Up here in the northeast it is 19 degrees, so any exercise activity  will have to be indoors.  Have a greeat day!

Julie

January 4, 2008, 4:24 am CST

Excuses

Quote From: girlspirit

I wonder how much you spend on cigarettes in a month.

I could be wrong, but I got the feeling that the smoker on the show wasn't ready to quit because she had her excuses. Weight gain is another popular one. Many smokers are already overweight because they have addictive personalities to begin with. Ten more pounds probably won't make a big difference in their health.

Is your life worth $45 a month? If you have children, I'm betting they would say it is and wouldn't mind chipping in. It sure beats paying for hospital bills and a funeral. Please keep trying. Do whatever it takes to stay healthy for those who love you.

Best of luck to you, mingjade, mommajulie and others.

I always have lots of excuses for not quitting, like all the stress I am under (you have no idea how much), I have no willpower and no support system. When I tried before all the adults in the house smoked and they refused not to smoke when I was in the room. They could care less if I quit, especially my hubby who was always offering me cigerattes.

Anyway, you have to die sometime and sometimes it is better sooner than later.

January 4, 2008, 5:23 am CST

Happy Friday Jill

Dear Jill,

maybe i have figured out how to use the message boards. most of it seems beyond me, but we will see. I just wanted to encourage you to take another step forward on your new plan. i believe there is truth in the

'one day at a time' thought process. When Dr. Phil said you were just overwhelmed and didn't in your heart think you could do it, i believe that is true for many of us. I struggle with my thought process constantly of having the 'can do ' attitude versus the 'no way can i ever do that attitude. so, for today, i am going to have a can do attitude.  Having long term goals, and reaching them by having short term goals frequently has got to be part of the success formula. I encourage you and i both to take just one more step today to reach our long term goals by successfully reaching our one day short term goal for today.  

i know you can do it,

newme2008

January 4, 2008, 1:19 pm CST

I am going crazy!

Quote From: edanddeb98

now i am gona go for that walk tomorrow  I live in florida and we are 2 miles for a park we have a boardwalk that got 5 miles one way It is marked every 1/4 mile and has benches along the way in case you need to sit  Its fenced in around the walkway  because of all the water bit there are opening when you can swim as well.... I am gona go tomorrow and walk some  I tried before but it hurt so bad in my sholders and im not sure why  They have security  on the board walk there and   they drive golf carts so if something happens they can get you back to the begenning.. Its really nice  but  it was 23 here today  Yes in Fl so I didnt even open the front door till my hubby came home from work...but I will bundle up and go tomorrow...  Now as for you   did u smoke any today.. I know its hard I use to smoke as well but I stoped when I cought my children (when they were younger) taking my cig   they always  was on me for smelling like a ash try and now they all smoke  go figure..i foung gum helped alot . Debbie

Debbie, I am pretty much nuts with not smoking! I started this at 1:00 yesterday and by 4:00 I was ready for a cigarette. I hung in there. It is cold here too, but I kept going outside and walking around an d trying to think about something else.  I like to sing and I have been singing every song I ever heard. Inside, I have kept putting cds in and singing along with them. Truthfully I am ready to pull out all of my hair. It feels more like a mental thing than a physical thing.  Yesterday, I made myself a list. At the top is: Do not smoke a cigarette. This, along with other things to accomplish. At first I was thinking that all I would put on the list was,Do not smoke a cigarette. Then I thought, I've got to try to get my mind on other things. Today I have not thought of much else. I could go out right now and drive to the store and get some cigarettes but I REFUSE to do so. The last time I tried to quit was about 2 1/2 years ago. It lasted 20 days. This is soooooo hard, but I have to believe it is not impossible. Others have done it. It is nerve racking. I am trying not to let myself convince myself that I can't do this. I'm feel like I'm at the end of my rope, but I felt like this yesterday too, and I made it too today. I feel like someone is scraping thier fingernails on a blackboard. I'M DETERMINED TO MAKE IT THROUGH TO TOMORROW. I am totally loosing my mind, but I felt like this yesterday too. My husband smokes but he never buys more than 2 packs at a time and he doesn't leave them here at the house. He doesn't smoke nearly as much as I was. WAS is the key word! Lord help me. I already chew gum, so I have that on hand. I have gone back and read the messages about people dying of cancer and the one lady had to have part of the inside of her mouth removed. It's not that I've never heard these things before, but I have to keep reminding myself that I'm doing this for a reason. Because right now I'm thinking "WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF! I am utterly miserable. Period.

Debbie I have gone on and on about me(and could KEEP on going on and on) but how are you doing? How hard was it for you to stop smoking? Well, I am going to keep trying as long as I can.

January 4, 2008, 3:03 pm CST

01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Quote From: housewife52

Debbie, I am pretty much nuts with not smoking! I started this at 1:00 yesterday and by 4:00 I was ready for a cigarette. I hung in there. It is cold here too, but I kept going outside and walking around an d trying to think about something else.  I like to sing and I have been singing every song I ever heard. Inside, I have kept putting cds in and singing along with them. Truthfully I am ready to pull out all of my hair. It feels more like a mental thing than a physical thing.  Yesterday, I made myself a list. At the top is: Do not smoke a cigarette. This, along with other things to accomplish. At first I was thinking that all I would put on the list was,Do not smoke a cigarette. Then I thought, I've got to try to get my mind on other things. Today I have not thought of much else. I could go out right now and drive to the store and get some cigarettes but I REFUSE to do so. The last time I tried to quit was about 2 1/2 years ago. It lasted 20 days. This is soooooo hard, but I have to believe it is not impossible. Others have done it. It is nerve racking. I am trying not to let myself convince myself that I can't do this. I'm feel like I'm at the end of my rope, but I felt like this yesterday too, and I made it too today. I feel like someone is scraping thier fingernails on a blackboard. I'M DETERMINED TO MAKE IT THROUGH TO TOMORROW. I am totally loosing my mind, but I felt like this yesterday too. My husband smokes but he never buys more than 2 packs at a time and he doesn't leave them here at the house. He doesn't smoke nearly as much as I was. WAS is the key word! Lord help me. I already chew gum, so I have that on hand. I have gone back and read the messages about people dying of cancer and the one lady had to have part of the inside of her mouth removed. It's not that I've never heard these things before, but I have to keep reminding myself that I'm doing this for a reason. Because right now I'm thinking "WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF! I am utterly miserable. Period.

Debbie I have gone on and on about me(and could KEEP on going on and on) but how are you doing? How hard was it for you to stop smoking? Well, I am going to keep trying as long as I can.

Hi... I'm new to this board, but thought I'd throw in my two cents here because I was a pack or more a day smoker for almost nine years and had quit many times.  I finally had success and thought I'd pass on what I did that has worked for me for the past four months and counting!!!

Believe it or not, I read a book.  I know... I honestly didn't think it would work, but I heard about it during an interview on Letterman (Ashton Kutcher read it and said he hadn't smoked for a year since reading it).  I thought it was total bull and didn't buy the book for over a year after I heard about it.  Then after several tries using the patch, the gum, cold turkey method, etc. I thought I'd just buy the book and try it.  It costs less than a weeks worth of cigarettes, right?

Anyway... the book is called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr.  Just try it.  I'm telling you... I didn't have withdrawal pangs, I didn't gain weight, no shaking hands, no mood swings.  It was the best feeling in the world.  It is the first time I quit and didn't feel like I had lost my best friend.

So anyway... I just thought I'd offer that suggestion to you.   

January 4, 2008, 3:54 pm CST

Message for Jill

I am going through exactly what Jill is going through. I did weigh 336 lbs at my highest weight. That is when I experienced severe chest pain. I saw my doctor and went through many tests including an angiogram. The end result was that I was diagnosed with Diabetes and I have 4 blockages in my heart. I immediately changed my diet, stopped eating fast food and started to do everything my doctor told me to do. My doctor sees me every three months and he is very happy with my progress. I have lost 50 pounds since September. Whenever it gets hard for me, I just remember what that chest pain felt like and that keeps me in check. I would love to contact Jill. We could be a good support system for eachother. Thanks, Mar.

January 4, 2008, 4:03 pm CST

Quit Making Excuses

Quote From: uglyiest

I always have lots of excuses for not quitting, like all the stress I am under (you have no idea how much), I have no willpower and no support system. When I tried before all the adults in the house smoked and they refused not to smoke when I was in the room. They could care less if I quit, especially my hubby who was always offering me cigerattes.

As a nurse I have been at the bedside of 90 year old patients who are dying and would like more time.  I have learned in this profession that you are never really ready to die.  It is just another one of your excuses. Be happy- I'd rather die sooner than later is rather depressing, huh?

January 4, 2008, 8:35 pm CST

Insensitive!

Quote From: uglyiest

It must be even more challenging to quit when others around you are smoking... Even worse than someone eating junk food in front of you when they know you are trying to lose weight, because your craving is chemical as well. I understand how loved ones can sabotage your efforts. If you are successful, it only emphasizes their own shortcomings. It's selfish, cruel, and disrespectful not to encourage a family member in their goal of being healthier. It's too bad we can't support our loved ones and work on ourselves together. In my own home, I hear, "It's my only joy in life" or "I'm stressed." A long list of pathetic excuses for not being a little more self-disciplined. Bad habits can always be replaced with good ones, like the poster above who sings and walks. Good for her! We need to surround ourselves with positive role models who can inspire us and act as mentors. It's always easier to have a friend who has been there, or is going through it with you.

You had my sympathy until you said, "You have to die sometime, and sometimes it is better sooner than later." REALLY? I'll try not to be too angry, and remind myself that you must be severely depressed to make such a comment. Otherwise... I can't imagine you would say something so insensitive to someone who just lost their mother. She was not ready to die. Would you like to trade places with her?

Do you have children? People who love you? If so, that is a horribly selfish attitude! I would bet anything that when your time does come, you will not want to die either. You'd be surprised at the fight people have in them to stay alive.

Did anything from my previous post sink in? DYING FROM LUNG CANCER IS A HORRIBLE AND PAINFUL DEATH ~ whether it happens "sooner or later." Maybe you would prefer to just lose part of your mouth or throat, like someone else did. How depressing would life be then, having to talk through a trach tube??? Shame on you!

January 4, 2008, 8:56 pm CST

housewife52

Quote From: housewife52

Your post brought tears to my eyes. It's refreshing to see someone trying so hard, pushing through the withdrawals, and not making excuses. I can tell YOU are going to succeed because you respect yourself enough, and you are READY.

I love how you're talking through it. Good job! You're doing GREAT and should be so proud of yourself. Keep going! As you said, others have done it, and you can too. You WILL!

January 5, 2008, 7:53 am CST

Everyone can quit smoking

My husband and I had been smokers for quite sometime. This summer someone reccomended us the book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking", by Allen Carr.  We didn't think we'd ever get around to reading a book, but eventually we did.  The book worked wonders for us! It described why we THINK we need to smoke, and how we can change our mindset completly.  This book saved our lives, and we reccomend it to any smoker! We had our last ciggarette while reading the last chapter of the book, on Aug 28, 2007. To this day we are still smoke free, and have absolutly NO desire to want another ciggarette!

Please read this book, what do you have to lose?  If it doesn't work for you, well, at least you gave it a shot.

Carrie D.

"The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" By Allen Carr

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last