Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Number of Replies: 129
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:24 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's that time of year where we all take a long, hard look at our lives to see what's not working for us. Dr. Phil's guests say they desperately need to change unhealthy lifestyles or they might not make it to another year. Jill weighs 375 pounds and says she's afraid she'll die if she doesn't drop 210 pounds. Her friend, Cathi, says Jill is a miserable person, and she needs to stop making daily trips to McDonald's. Will Jill be able to put down the Big Mac and pick up some healthier eating habits? Dr. Phil has a drastic plan that will help her get on the right track. Then, Pam vows to quit smoking in 2008 but claims her husband, Eric, is one of the reasons she can't kick her 22-year addiction. Pam says she can't resist the urge to light up when he does. Will a recently discovered tumor be enough to make Pam kick the butts? And, Nyasha and Simone claim their sister, Victoria, has a toxic personality, and they're giving her an ultimatum: Get your act together or get gone! They say she curses, steals from relatives and starts fist fights with them in front of her kids. What's behind Victoria's bad behavior, and will she be able to change her angry ways before she alienates her family? Share your own New Year's resolutions and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 3, 2008, 6:55 am CST

I'm a chantix success story!!

Quote From: margeu

I had been smoking since I was 19 and I am now 67. Please tell Pam to ask her doctor about the medication Chantix.  I had tried the patch, gum, zyban. group hypnosis and private hypnosis.  I developed asthma when I was 39, and was on a nebulizer 4 times a day.  As soon as I was done doing a treatment, I would light up.  I was smoking almost 2 packs a day. I had heard about Chantix from a couple of friends who had quit by using it and they were heavy smokers. I got a prescription for it, along with 3 renewals for a total of a possible 12 weeks.  I started using the pills and within a week, I went from 2 packs to 3 cigarettes. Within 9 days, I was smoke free. All with no cravings what so ever.  I am now 10 months smoke free and can't believe how easy it was with Chantix.  I never needed 12 weeks. I only used the starter kit which is 3 weeks and then 2 weeks of the next month's renewal.  My husband also quit  in October and he only needed the starter kit. I'm sure Pam can make it with the help of Chantixsince Chantix blocks the absorbsion of the nicotine.

I too only needed to take chantix for a very short time and I am almost 5 months smoke free, and after smoking for 13+ years breathing feels great.  here's the glitch, please talk to your doctors before taking this medication.  it will affect your moods.  you can become dependant on the chantix.  the chantix can cause depression.  it took about 3 months to feel like my normal self again after going off the pills.  My experience and my bottom line, chantix will help you quit smoking, be prepared for a bit of time to become a crazy mean moody person, talk to your family so this mood change won't suprise them and you can have the support you need.

January 3, 2008, 7:47 am CST

chantix can really work, and turn you into a mean person

Just sharing my own experience, a word to the wise....

Chantix can be a very helpful drug to make you quit smoking, first you start taking the pill, and on the 8th day of taking the pill will be your quit day, and after taking the pill for the first seven days, by your quit day you really won't even want a smoke. and then after continuing the medication for a few more weeks I was finished smoking for good. so that works great.  here is the catch... for  the first couple days you may have a tummy ache, (not so bad).  but when I stoped taking the chantix, I had some horrible mood swings, depression I hadn't experenced since high school (not good).  Please people talk to your doctors, make them tell you all the side effects.  that way if you have any of these nasty problems your family can be forwarned, so they don't disown you for being nasty, mean person.  and don't be scared, now after a few months I'm smoke free(it does take a bit of will power after your off the meds)the side effects are all gone, I'm smoke-free and feelin good.    Moral of the story, inform yourself, prepare yourself, and dont get hooked on chantix, its no better to trade cigs for pills.

January 3, 2008, 8:11 am CST

AMEN!!!

Quote From: connerchristy

Its not by my might Its not by my own power but by My Spirit says the Lord

January 3, 2008, 8:28 am CST

looking weight

Quote From: housewife52

Debbie, Hi! Howyadoin'? I went to dogpile.com and typed in "nutritional weight loss diets" and they had some sites and I think this one, www.foodfit.com looked promising. Go there and see what you think about it. I thought it looked like it had some good information. Hang in there and I wish you the best in 2008.
i will do that thank  you 

January 3, 2008, 8:29 am CST

Guilty Pleasures

I don't think that Dr. Phil has ever heard the term "guilty pleasures."  It is the secret rewards that we save for the end of a long day.  He was so hard on the overweight guest for eating in secret.  That is the guilt part.  I will occasionally stash a candy bar for a late night fix.  If I ate it out in the open I would have my husband asking me why I was "eating that garbage."  And my kids would be clamoring at my feet. 

Any way, this guest already has the guilt.  I don't think that she needed any more of it from Dr. Phil.  That guest needs to realize that she is a worthwhile person who does not deserve to be poisoned by the food that she eats.

January 3, 2008, 8:30 am CST

rayleen

Quote From: rayleen5

I am 5ft 4 and I weigh 420 pounds. My resolution is to lose weight. I am an emotional eater and I am extremly worried that I will fail. My husband bought me my exercise bike and weights so now it is up to me. I could really use an allie. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers.

Rayleen

we should do this togather I need to loose as well  I dont have a excersise bike  but i try and walk around our trailor several times a day   Debbie In Fl

January 3, 2008, 8:42 am CST

shmigelz

Quote From: shmigelz

I didnt post this in my last msg about Jill but yea go rent that movie about a man who eat at McDonalds for only 30 days! and see what it does to his body! The weight he gains, the FAT he gains, the increase in his bodyfat %, the deterioting health functions.

Jill - Also you need to stop sitting around the house all day. Get up and do something! Get off your BIG butt as 'Dr.Phil would say". and get a job or go to the damn gym! go for a walk, go get a hobby!

Jill - Why are you eating so much? What are you trying to medicate? What pain/pains are you trying to supress by eating garbage????

Jill once Dr. Phil gets ahold of you your life is GONNA CHANGE BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG TIME! and you won't like it, off the start im sure, who knows maybe not at all but Dr.Phil will be watching you like a HAWK!

If Dr. Phil and his professionals can't help you, no one will... But also if comes down to you as well.... Do you want this or not? When you get up in the morning, when you look into the mirror ask yourself.."How do you truely feel?. Are you really happy? or sad? Do you truely want a real happy life again?" So whats it gonna be????

Pain is temporary, Pride is forever! (words to live by. By me!)

I think you are hard on people..Have you ever ben big? is it really nessasary to put people down? Did u know that just makes it worse  ? Sometimes people just need someone to listen and not to talk crap about them .. you should make a new year resoultation to be kind and not so judgeing...you could be a help to someone but it sure wont be overweight people  

January 3, 2008, 8:45 am CST

01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Quote From: grandmax7

One place to start is to read the every package before it goes in your food cart.  If the fat content is half or more than the amount of the calories per serving put it back on the shelf.  And watch the serving size.  If the serving size says 3 cookies & the package contains 6 then you have to double the calories & the fat content if you are planning to eat the 6 instead of the 3.  The same goes for high sodium foods.  High sodium can cause water retention.  Any kind of pasta will elevate the sugar in your blood so moderation is the key word for pasta.  Starches such as potatoes, rice, bread should be eaten in moderation without anything added to them.  Eat all you want of vegetables either frozen or fresh and dried beans are a great source of protein & fiber.  You will be surprised how many different dishes you can make from turkey & chicken.  I substitute them for ground beef or pork & you cannot tell the difference.  And don't forget to drink water instead of sodas.  I hope this little bit of information has helped.  Good luck & keep smiling because you have a beautiful smile.  I am a grandma of 7 & I have to cook for a husband that has to be on a low fat, low sodium diet & it still has to be good enough so I can please everyone that comes to dinner.     
thank you very much I will start doing that  Debbie In Fl

January 3, 2008, 9:13 am CST

to Debbie

Quote From: edanddeb98

I think you are hard on people..Have you ever ben big? is it really nessasary to put people down? Did u know that just makes it worse  ? Sometimes people just need someone to listen and not to talk crap about them .. you should make a new year resoultation to be kind and not so judgeing...you could be a help to someone but it sure wont be overweight people  

Hi Debbie

I agree with what you are saying here.  I responded to that same poster that I do not feel that getting a job is the answer for Jill.  Jill's reasons for overeating go much deeper than boredom, and she needs to explore and work on whatever is giving her the pain. 

I did not address the issue with that poster that she was very very harsh on Jill (like you did), but that thought certainly crossed my mind as I read her message.  There is no excuse at all for putting someone down.  And, yes, that only exacerbates the problem.  Kindness and encouragement would be so much more helpful.  My impression was that there may have been some envy on the part of that poster that Jill stays home rather than works.  I wish Jill only the best in her quest to lose the weight.

Julie B

January 3, 2008, 9:38 am CST

Victoria's anger

Dear guests on Wednesday's Dr. Phil Show:

Dr. Phil presented some actual issues that I can really relate with. They are anger, smoking and overeating. I'll start in the opposite order of what was presented on the show.

1) Anger- This has been my nemesis throughout my life. A couple of years ago, I got this under

control when I abandoned my biological family for life. As a result, I have become a lot

calmer and more good-natured than I was in my past.

I hope that Victoria can get her emotions under control so that she won't get kicked out

of her own family. Victoria seems like a very pleasant person and I would hate to see her

anger be her downfall. Please use the resources that Dr. Phil provides so that you can

be at more peace with yourself. It will really make a difference in how you feel about life.

2) Smoking- Even though I vowed never to smoke, that's exactly what I did in order to deal with

stress. However, I needed to kick the habit in order to resume my athletic itinerary

that included running and cycling. Pam needs to quit just for survival. Pam, I

recommend that you contact the smokers' helpline. They are listed in the phone

book. They really helped me to quit. I hope that you follow a similar path. Good luck.

3) Over Eating- Food is a temptation that can not be easily ignored. I often turn a blind eye to

cholestorol and indulge in treats that I really should avoid. Even though I weigh

slightly less than 200 pounds, I am prone to caving in and gain a littlle weight

as a result of nothing more than failing to control my impulses. I thank God

that I only have a slight bulge and am not morbidly obese.

Jill, Dr. Phil is right. His plan for you won't be easy because you have a long way to

go to get yourself back to a healthy weight. As tough as it will be, please stay the course

because the health benefits and how you view yourself will surpass all the agony. I wish

you the best in your pursuit to shed the pounds.

Well, those are my comments for today. I hope that all of Dr. Phil's guests can stick to the no nonsense

resolutions and become much happier in the process.

Yours Truly,

Fred.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last