Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Number of Replies: 129
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:24 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's that time of year where we all take a long, hard look at our lives to see what's not working for us. Dr. Phil's guests say they desperately need to change unhealthy lifestyles or they might not make it to another year. Jill weighs 375 pounds and says she's afraid she'll die if she doesn't drop 210 pounds. Her friend, Cathi, says Jill is a miserable person, and she needs to stop making daily trips to McDonald's. Will Jill be able to put down the Big Mac and pick up some healthier eating habits? Dr. Phil has a drastic plan that will help her get on the right track. Then, Pam vows to quit smoking in 2008 but claims her husband, Eric, is one of the reasons she can't kick her 22-year addiction. Pam says she can't resist the urge to light up when he does. Will a recently discovered tumor be enough to make Pam kick the butts? And, Nyasha and Simone claim their sister, Victoria, has a toxic personality, and they're giving her an ultimatum: Get your act together or get gone! They say she curses, steals from relatives and starts fist fights with them in front of her kids. What's behind Victoria's bad behavior, and will she be able to change her angry ways before she alienates her family? Share your own New Year's resolutions and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 3, 2008, 10:06 am CST

Hey again!

Quote From: edanddeb98

i will do that thank  you 

Debbie, Hi! I know that might not be the site for you. You can always look around for something else. If you want to read DrP's book about weight, it might be at the library. I haven't read any of his books, no reason ,except I haven't gotten around to it yet. Just try to take this ONE day at a time. Hang in there. I agree that it would be better to find a plan to change your lifestyle, instead of just trying some kind of a diet that may not be good in the long run. That site I found appeared to have advice about the nutritional aspect and that kind of thing. For me, time goes by fast. I know it's easy for me to say ,just take it a day at a time. There's so much more to that than just the words.Try not to get bogged down in the fact that you want to change the way you eat and maybe excercise. Is there some place you can walk? I have found that's a very good thing to do, it makes me feel better physically and emotionally when I walk regularly. Is there a buddy who might come with you. Or even a pet. If not just resolve to walk by yourself. I have done it. I know you have a long-term goal of loosing the weight. Also, set some goals from one day to the next. Write them down. As time goes by, I have found that just setting goals from one day to the next helps me get to the long term goal. Today, for example, decide exactly what you want ot accomplish tomorrow and write it down. When you get up in the morning, look at your list and do those things, if you don't get anything else done.  Then tomorrow set some goals for the next day. For me , it might be something as simple as bathing the dog or cleaning out the birdcage or even writing a letter that I have been meaning to write. And DO try to get the walking in if at all possible. Debbie, I so believe that you can do this.

Now for me, I also want to quit smoking. I smoke a pack a day. I am resolving right here and now that I WANT to do this. It is 1:00 p.m EST. I have an almost full pack and an unopened pack. I am destroying them right now! I AM DETERMINED DEBBY! I AM GOING TO DO THIS. I AM STRONGER THAN MY ADDICTION! 

O.K., now I am going to take my own advice and go for a walk. I CAN LIVE WITHOUT CIGARETTES! I AM STRONG ENOUGH TO DO THIS! 

It has now been four minutes. 

O.K. I just went in there and tore all those cigarettes in half and threw them in the trash where they belong.

January 3rd, 2008 1:00p.m. EST, I WILL ACCOMPLISH THIS. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF BEING SICK AND TIRED OF SMOKING!

January 3, 2008, 10:46 am CST

01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Quote From: purple82

I'm sorry that it has taken something as serious as a health crisis for this woman to realize that she needs to quit smoking.  When are smokers going to realize that this is a dangerous and potentially deadly habit?  I've never smoked.  I used to live with a smoker.  I don't get the whole "smoking thing".  I don't buy into the story that it's an addiction...no, sorry.  I've seen friends who smoke just stop cold turkey so I know that anyone can do it.

I hope this is a wake up call for others.

~~laughing~~ Ummm, smokers "DO" realize that they are participating in a dangerous and potentially deadly activity.

You personally dont have to buy into the FACT that nicotine is an addictive substance, and it takes very little of the substance to have you hooked.

Yes, people do stop cold turkey (Im on day 3 of cold turkey) but that doesnt mean they dont suffer from withdrawl.

Quite frankly, I dont even trust myself out in public today. Im so irritated and anxious that Im afraid I'd rip someones head off.

Sleep......forget it. Tonight I think I will try a sleeping pill. The last 3 days have been hell, and in total Ive had about 3 hours sleep.

But for anyone else reading, the hold that nicotine addiction has on you lessens everyday. Everyday gets a little bit easier. There are TONS of resources on the web to help you.

Good luck, and please wish me luck too. 3 days without a smoke, Im proud of myself.

January 3, 2008, 11:10 am CST

SMOKING!

I  quit smoking as of 1 month ago. No pills - no patches -- zip.  I have smoked most of my adult life.  I am chewing-gum -- the ordinary kind.  Yes,  I needed a replacement "oral fixation crutch!"  I got lucky!  How lucky?  I got the Flu a month ago!  The really big and bad Flu.  Nearly caughed myself into a coma -- Flu. It took 3 rounds of anitbiotics to get me well. [ And yes -- I had my Flu shot in September.]  This bug was so bad -- I thought  I would die.  I ran a temp of over 103 for 3 days.  I could not  smoke.  Impossible!!  The thought ran through my head -- "Do you want to die chocking to death and drowing in your own mucus?"  No way.  A horrible image.  However -- not far from the damn truth if I don't stop smoking. 

This vius keep me so sick for nearly three weeks....on antibiotics.  I realized -- as I began to feel better -- how great it was to finally breath without  caughing!  Also -- realized I had completely withdrawn from the physical dependency of nictotine.  What a hell of a bonus!  I have no desires or craving.  All gone?

Then my brain recovered from this no smoking deprevation -- and said --  Now what this no smoking about dumby? How about a hot cup of coffee and smoke?  How about a glass a wine and smoke?  How about smoking after dinner and after sex ?  And talking on the phone and smoking and working and smoking and -- thinking about smoking?  And just-down right Smoking -- Dumby?  How about a big fat crisis and no smoking??  Is this gum-crewing idea going work?

I am here to report -- to everyone whose ever been addicted to anything including tobacco -- this is a bitch of an addition to deal with.  And Yes -- this chewing gum thing is working for me!  I am now a sugerless chewing-gum--Junkie.  Do I care? NO!  The rest of this battle is Pure WILL POWER...EVERY DAMN MINUTE OR HOUR OR DAY.  Here is the deal:  You have want to quit smoking so damn bad --  that you're so damn scared to take another drag in your life.  Sounds too "dramatic?"  You bet YOUR LIFE!

I have a carton and half of Salem's in my pantry.  I have lighters all of over the house.  My husband smokes -- but smokes out-doors the day I quit.  I don't need to hide anything from myself or have my picture in 7-11's telling them "do not sell cigerettes to this woman!"  Are you kidding me, Dr. Phil?  That is totally stupid.

I quit once before for more then 5 years.  [ Don't ask me why I started smoking again. I had a reason -- as stupid as it was.]  The point is -- I know I can quit.  I know the drill and know I will be successful.  First rule: Never play head-games with yourself.  2. Never repeat past -- stupid mistakes.  3.  Every day -- will present about 100 excuses to start smoking again.  3. Don't go backwards.  4  Everyday down this road for the next 90 to 120 days will need your attention and full-determiation not to smoke. This is a process of retraining your brain  and mind and retaining your body and changing your life-style and thinking. Lastly -- This is your own hell and your personal battle.  There are no short-cuts or magic pills or enough lies to tell yourself or anyone else -- to justify lighting another damn cigerette in your life!

Yes  this is very unpleasant experience and you feel like crap!  So what?  No one every died from kicking the smoking habit. About 500,000 die smoking and cancer -- every year!  Just what do you want to die from and how?  I hope,  I have quit soon enough to die from old age and natural causes. Only time will tell.  I am living my life one-day-at-a-time.  And right now -- it's going a bit slower then that.  Each day without smoking is one day closer to getting this monkey off my back -- for the rest of my life.  I don't want to repeat any of these past 30 days -- as long as I live!

If you want to stop smoking but really "don't want to give up that pleasure...etc., then you're not convienced or ready to stop smoking.  You have to be both intellectually ready to stop as well physically and mentally read to stop smoking -- for yourself!

About 20 years ago a very good girlfriend of mine -- suddenly developed lung cancer and died within about two months of this news.   The "sudden part" is questionable.  In any event -- she was much older then myself and had smoked all her adult life.  Her parents died of lung cancer. [ This fact didn't provide her with any modivation to stop smoking.]  The last day I saw her alive -- she was smoking and so was her husband.  She died about a week later.  Despite this fact -- her death from lung cancer didn't stop me from smoking.  And if all the scare tactices in the world will never stop an addict of any type from killing themselves -- slowly  or in a hurry.  The fact is -- in order to kick any bad habit -- the person themselves have to reach that sole and selfish decision alone and then walk-the-walk themselves -- every damn step.

Yes -- Pam you're addicted.  What smoker isn't? You're no more of an addict then me or anyone else.  That is an excuse.  You're not ready to quit.  You're whinning about wanting to quit on national television.  And blaming your husband?  Grow-up and get serious!  Kicking the smoking habit isn't for cry-babies or whimps or "I what try quiting but really don't want to stop" -- Jerks!  Or my family wants me to stop smoking and I'm going to try for them...B.S. excuses.  I tired all those reasons and tactics -- doesn't work for any duration.

Lastly,  I am not into personal torture.  In other words - I will not torture myself -- day in and day out with kicking this habit -- only to fail and find my weakest moment and the best excuse to start smoking again. That isn't a good plan.  Yesterday,  I was with my 84 year old mother when her doctor's discovered she has cancer of the stomach.   I thought -- "I can't get through this crisis without smoking.  I am going home to lit up!"   WOW!  I  just had the worst news of my life -- and this is the most likely excuse I can give myself to lit up!

I got home -- cried for hours.  I chewed up a full-pack of gum!  I didn't let the devil win this round.  This gave me power.

January 3, 2008, 11:52 am CST

You can quit smoking

In 2003 my mom was diagnosed with COPD/Emphesma after a life of smoking. She was in her mid 70's at the time. The doctor had her going to pulmanary rehab to try & quit which she did. It wasn't easy especially after my dad died 2 months later on Christmas Day from lung cancer. We all thought mom would start up again, but much to our suprise & happieness she didn't. The damage to her health cannot be reversed but has been slowed down. If you want it bad enough you can do it. I wish you all the best.  I only wish I could get my 30 yr old son to quit but he isn't ready yet. Neither my husband or I smoke. He smoked 2 pks/day before I met him & just decided to quit one day & threw his cigarettes away. As I said it won't be easy but it can be done.

January 3, 2008, 1:06 pm CST

Chantix

Quote From: jfabian

Hi,

I would like to know where did you get Chantix for $45.00?  Here in Maryland, it's going to be over $200.00 prescription.  I would like to get this for my daughters? It's way too expensive for them to pay for it.  I can't afford it.    

Thank you very much. 

I live in North Carolina and I had Blue Cross ins. so my co-pay was only 45 dollars.

Good luck and I hope you find a cheaper way to get it because it really does work.

January 3, 2008, 1:13 pm CST

Attitudes

Quote From: moms_losing_it

I was releived to say the least to read messages posted from others about this problem and that I am not alone.  Her and I had a big argument last week because God forbid, *I* went in HER ROOM, which is a total pigsty, to empty her garbage can. She saw that I had moved things around in her room, which consists of dirty clothes, clean clothes, and dirty underwear. I told her to clean the pigsty up. She went off like you can not believe telling me its HER ROOM and I am NOT ALLOWED in there. I said, this is MY HOUSE. Her response was,"This is DADS HOUSE". I told her last time I looked my name was on the house, too. She then began punching her thighs numerous times SCREAMING at me "I HATE WHEN YOU DO THIS!" I told her she should leave the house NOW because she was out of control. She was walking out the door and said, "I'm NOT coming back", and slammed the door. I then locked the outside door which she has no key to. She then came back after riding around the block. She was on the front porch ringing the doorbell because she could not get in. She was SCREAMING,"i need to get some of my things". I did not open the door. She then began to call from her cell phone and I did not answer the phone. She came BACK to the house trying to PRY the outside door open. I picked up the phone and told her she had one minute to get the HELL off my porch or I was going to call the police. She then yelled "F*** YOU" and took off in her car again. She began calling and calling and calling the house which I did not answer. After about 25 times, I picked up the phone and she said SHE would get the police there to get her things if I did not let her in to get them. I told her I would unlock the door and her and I were going to have it out. She came in and I read her off like you would not believe. She did pay room and board last week, and did a few chores. She then said,"Why do I have to do chores if I am paying to live here?" I said because you keep telling me you are 21, step up to bat and ACT like it; you should want to help me out with chores seeing as how I have herniated, bulging discs in my back and can not DO a lot of what I used to do. I also told her I CHOSE to have her, which means like it or not you are STUCK with ME as your MOTHER; I do not EXPECT respect, I DEMAND IT". She has not gone out in a few days now, just stays home and reads books...good sign? I also told her the next time she cusses at me, I will knock her teeth out of her mouth, regardless of her age.She has been behaving, but it's only been a week. If she slips up again, she is OUT THE DOOR.

I am so sorry about what happened between you and you daughter. She sounds so much like my child it is eerie. Any time I tell her to do something she cusses and carries on and there are so many times I just get so sick of hearing her mouth.  She has many mood swings and you never know what mood she will be in from one minute to the next. I have a Dr. Phil diary called Lonely and broke if you would like to read it sometime. It has a lot of details of what I deal with on a daily basis with these girls.

January 3, 2008, 2:08 pm CST

Thank you.

Quote From: uglyiest

I live in North Carolina and I had Blue Cross ins. so my co-pay was only 45 dollars.

Good luck and I hope you find a cheaper way to get it because it really does work.

Hi,

Thank you for the information.  My daugther has United Health Care through the state, and I can't believe her insurance will not pay for it.  Something that works, the insurance companies want to turn her and others down.  She has to pay for it herself. 

Take care,

God Bless.

January 3, 2008, 2:09 pm CST

Quote From: kristyg34

I come from a family of smokers and drinkers.  This is insane.  This past year my grandmother and my uncle have had a heart attack and this being my grandmothers second, she did just fine.  My other uncle had his quintuple bypass 2 years ago and is still drinking, and another aunt is still smoking.  I have another aunt who is trying to quit smoking, and one aunt who is still smoking.  There is yet another uncle who quit smothing but still drinks, and we all struggle with the cholesteral and blood pressure issues.  I also have some other relatives with a new baby who think it is ok to smoke in the house with a newborn.  Not.  I really wish people would get it through their thick heads that when god gives you a wake up call and tells you that you need to stop look and listen, your body is not in the best conditions ( and you need to make some changes) - ie heart bypass surgery, go ahead and put down the cigarettes....and the drinks.  He is giving you a second chance.  I haved friends who drink too much also and one who suffers from diabetes and continues to drink excessively.  This causes him severe depression. 

I am watching my family everyday on borrowed time.  I do not smoke, have high blood pressure, nor take cholesterol meds, and I only drink a little socially.  I do have alcoholics in my family and it kills me to watch them treat their bodies the way they do.  They do not know how they are hurting the ones around them.

Make some new years resolutions y'all...it is not too late.

There's no telling how many parents, such as your relatives, are killing their babies with their second-hand smoke. Second-hand smoke has recently been found to be the leading cause of SIDS. And, it isn't only smoke from buring cigarettes that's harmful to infants. Even those who leave the room, or go outside, to smoke, expose infants to the residue that's left in their hair, and on their clothes. Have you ever been in a non-smoking environment, and a smoker comes in? I have. And, the stench has gagged me so badly, I've often had to leave. Can you imagine what it does to an infant?

January 3, 2008, 2:11 pm CST

Quote From: uglyiest

So, you're happy with North Carolina Blue Cross? My husband and I have some land up there. And, planning to build a cabin after he retires.

January 3, 2008, 2:15 pm CST

Quote From: derevna33

I work at Wendy's.  Two days ago, a rotund mother waddled up to our counter.  She had brought her kids in for dinner.  I made the mistake of asking if the oldest boy wanted a kid's meal.  That's a small hamburger, a few fries, and a small drink--enough for any 10-year-old.  It was his mother who became  indignant.  "He needs a Baconator combo, super sized."

I ordered it because it is not my place to argue with people. 

They are responsible for their own choices.

Be patient with your weight loss program.  Since you didn't gain 120 pounds all in one day, you aren't going to lose it all in one day, either.  It'll take as loooooong as it's gonna take.  I'm glad to hear you are beginning a exercise program--gym membership or not.  (I watch Daily Workout with Denise Austin on Lifetime)     

Maybe next time that mother comes in, you should turn the placemat over. So the sound nutritional suggestions are facing up.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last