Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Number of Replies: 129
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:24 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's that time of year where we all take a long, hard look at our lives to see what's not working for us. Dr. Phil's guests say they desperately need to change unhealthy lifestyles or they might not make it to another year. Jill weighs 375 pounds and says she's afraid she'll die if she doesn't drop 210 pounds. Her friend, Cathi, says Jill is a miserable person, and she needs to stop making daily trips to McDonald's. Will Jill be able to put down the Big Mac and pick up some healthier eating habits? Dr. Phil has a drastic plan that will help her get on the right track. Then, Pam vows to quit smoking in 2008 but claims her husband, Eric, is one of the reasons she can't kick her 22-year addiction. Pam says she can't resist the urge to light up when he does. Will a recently discovered tumor be enough to make Pam kick the butts? And, Nyasha and Simone claim their sister, Victoria, has a toxic personality, and they're giving her an ultimatum: Get your act together or get gone! They say she curses, steals from relatives and starts fist fights with them in front of her kids. What's behind Victoria's bad behavior, and will she be able to change her angry ways before she alienates her family? Share your own New Year's resolutions and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 30, 2007, 8:54 pm CST

01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Quote From: pinkcadillac08

For the young lady who weighs 375, my only question is this:  Do you believe you are worth more than a Big Mac?  Do you LOVE yourself enough to stop driving to a restaurant who is only interested in taking your hard-earned money and has no vested interest in your health.  McDonald's menus is the biggest joke on the planet.

Is it easy?  No.  If it was easy, everyone would be thin.

I feel your pain, but I also have realized that I am worth more than a $3.00 hamburger. I cannot wait to lose the 120 pounds that keeps me from realizing MY DREAMS and MY GOALS.  I began exercising at home with a couple of 5 lb hand weights, walking around the block in the morning after I take my daughter to the bus stop, and doing simple muscle building exercises in the comfort of my own home.  There are no gym memberships in my budget this year.

I know you can do this.  Buy yourself something pretty today; a new dress, a new top, some jewelry, even a purse.  Love yourself enough to become the woman you know you deserve to be.  You are a Child of the Most High God; let Him help you!

With love & Belief,

Gina

I work at Wendy's.  Two days ago, a rotund mother waddled up to our counter.  She had brought her kids in for dinner.  I made the mistake of asking if the oldest boy wanted a kid's meal.  That's a small hamburger, a few fries, and a small drink--enough for any 10-year-old.  It was his mother who became  indignant.  "He needs a Baconator combo, super sized."

I ordered it because it is not my place to argue with people. 

They are responsible for their own choices.

Be patient with your weight loss program.  Since you didn't gain 120 pounds all in one day, you aren't going to lose it all in one day, either.  It'll take as loooooong as it's gonna take.  I'm glad to hear you are beginning a exercise program--gym membership or not.  (I watch Daily Workout with Denise Austin on Lifetime)     

December 31, 2007, 9:27 am CST

Quote From: hockeymom4ever

I hope that Pam and everyone else smoking meets or experiences a cancer patient and or their care giver. I don't think that until they see the pure devastation of what smoking does will they realize how important it is to stop this harmful habit. Go to a cancer clinic and you will see the true reality (for most) of what is to come if you don't quit. It is a horrible and painful way to die. People say they would die for their family but would they LIVE for them???
 Before I met her, my SIL Judy was a heavy smoker. Until, visiting someone in the hospital, she had to walk past a ward full of men dying from smoking-caused cancer. She dumped her last pack of cigarettes onto the parking lot and stomped them to pieces.

December 31, 2007, 10:40 am CST

Loving Yourself

Quote From: pinkcadillac08

For the young lady who weighs 375, my only question is this:  Do you believe you are worth more than a Big Mac?  Do you LOVE yourself enough to stop driving to a restaurant who is only interested in taking your hard-earned money and has no vested interest in your health.  McDonald's menus is the biggest joke on the planet.

Is it easy?  No.  If it was easy, everyone would be thin.

I feel your pain, but I also have realized that I am worth more than a $3.00 hamburger. I cannot wait to lose the 120 pounds that keeps me from realizing MY DREAMS and MY GOALS.  I began exercising at home with a couple of 5 lb hand weights, walking around the block in the morning after I take my daughter to the bus stop, and doing simple muscle building exercises in the comfort of my own home.  There are no gym memberships in my budget this year.

I know you can do this.  Buy yourself something pretty today; a new dress, a new top, some jewelry, even a purse.  Love yourself enough to become the woman you know you deserve to be.  You are a Child of the Most High God; let Him help you!

With love & Belief,

Gina

I agree with the comment above.  I suffer from that syndrome.  I am back at my highest weight again.

I do carry my weight well, so for me I often fool people.  But the walking can do wonders.  Just get out an walk.  Make sure you drink lots of water each day and keep going.  One of my tricks is to brush your teeth when you think you want junk food.  It will detour you from eating something bad.  It works for me.

I agree with the buying pretty things.  You want to look pretty and feel pretty.  Junk food makes you feel gross and does not digest well. 

Good luck.

December 31, 2007, 10:53 am CST

Hello Out There!!!!!!

I come from a family of smokers and drinkers.  This is insane.  This past year my grandmother and my uncle have had a heart attack and this being my grandmothers second, she did just fine.  My other uncle had his quintuple bypass 2 years ago and is still drinking, and another aunt is still smoking.  I have another aunt who is trying to quit smoking, and one aunt who is still smoking.  There is yet another uncle who quit smothing but still drinks, and we all struggle with the cholesteral and blood pressure issues.  I also have some other relatives with a new baby who think it is ok to smoke in the house with a newborn.  Not.  I really wish people would get it through their thick heads that when god gives you a wake up call and tells you that you need to stop look and listen, your body is not in the best conditions ( and you need to make some changes) - ie heart bypass surgery, go ahead and put down the cigarettes....and the drinks.  He is giving you a second chance.  I haved friends who drink too much also and one who suffers from diabetes and continues to drink excessively.  This causes him severe depression. 

I am watching my family everyday on borrowed time.  I do not smoke, have high blood pressure, nor take cholesterol meds, and I only drink a little socially.  I do have alcoholics in my family and it kills me to watch them treat their bodies the way they do.  They do not know how they are hurting the ones around them.

Make some new years resolutions y'all...it is not too late.

December 31, 2007, 6:44 pm CST

Quote From: purple82

I'm sorry that it has taken something as serious as a health crisis for this woman to realize that she needs to quit smoking.  When are smokers going to realize that this is a dangerous and potentially deadly habit?  I've never smoked.  I used to live with a smoker.  I don't get the whole "smoking thing".  I don't buy into the story that it's an addiction...no, sorry.  I've seen friends who smoke just stop cold turkey so I know that anyone can do it.

I hope this is a wake up call for others.

As a smoker myself let me clue you in on a couple of things,

Firstly Nicotine is as addictive as cocaine, and your friends that jus quit "cold turkey" I would BET they were closet smokers for a good long time after, please its like saying Drug Addicts aren't addicted (though I agree these are addictions of CHOICE if you chose NOT to do it in the first place, then you DO NOT become addicted ), like a drug addict, a closet smoker can and will HIDE their addiction from even the people who live with them, and become quite good at it, ever wonder how a Meth Addicted Mom can hide it from their spouses and kids ? Same idea.

Look you chose NO to smoke, that's great, really, but I am NOT a criminal (cigrettes are still legal ) nor am I the greatest  contributor to Global Warming or air Pollution, and yes despite what you might think, Nicotine is an ADDICTIVE DRUG, both physical and psychological, the people who say they have quit with NO DT's from this are LIARS or damn good actors (worthy of Academy Awards I daresay ) Most of us who have tried and failed or succeeded will tell you the same thing, that's why the aids are popular, they take the edge off, would you suggest a coke addict just QUIT "cold turkey ".

Its like anything else, if you haven't experienced it for yourself, you cannot KNOW, and you know what if you use that attitude with your friends, they will NOT tell you the truth of how they are feeling at that moment.

We do get that it isn't good for us, we know that, just as an alcoholic KNOWS that drinking could KILL them or a Drug Addict knows their addiction could KILL them, we know it.

You've already kicked us out of society, you've already stigmatized and ostrasized us, be happy with that, and if we chose to continue then just be happy we are not in your space.

January 1, 2008, 6:19 am CST

I hear you.

Quote From: shadycat1

As a smoker myself let me clue you in on a couple of things,

Firstly Nicotine is as addictive as cocaine, and your friends that jus quit "cold turkey" I would BET they were closet smokers for a good long time after, please its like saying Drug Addicts aren't addicted (though I agree these are addictions of CHOICE if you chose NOT to do it in the first place, then you DO NOT become addicted ), like a drug addict, a closet smoker can and will HIDE their addiction from even the people who live with them, and become quite good at it, ever wonder how a Meth Addicted Mom can hide it from their spouses and kids ? Same idea.

Look you chose NO to smoke, that's great, really, but I am NOT a criminal (cigrettes are still legal ) nor am I the greatest  contributor to Global Warming or air Pollution, and yes despite what you might think, Nicotine is an ADDICTIVE DRUG, both physical and psychological, the people who say they have quit with NO DT's from this are LIARS or damn good actors (worthy of Academy Awards I daresay ) Most of us who have tried and failed or succeeded will tell you the same thing, that's why the aids are popular, they take the edge off, would you suggest a coke addict just QUIT "cold turkey ".

Its like anything else, if you haven't experienced it for yourself, you cannot KNOW, and you know what if you use that attitude with your friends, they will NOT tell you the truth of how they are feeling at that moment.

We do get that it isn't good for us, we know that, just as an alcoholic KNOWS that drinking could KILL them or a Drug Addict knows their addiction could KILL them, we know it.

You've already kicked us out of society, you've already stigmatized and ostrasized us, be happy with that, and if we chose to continue then just be happy we are not in your space.

First off, I started smoking at age 46. I am now 53. I know, it sounds crazy. Well, before I began to inhale, I too, thought that smokers could just lay those cigarettes now and move on. I now know differently. It is an addiction. Most of the people I know who have quit, say they quit cold turkey. They all say it's the best way. My doctor has tried to talk me into trying Chantix, one of the newest medications to help stop smoking. But, you have to already have the mind set to be determined to quit. When I try to cut down, all I can think about is when I can have my next cigarette. I know it's bad for me. It feels like a mental thing, more than a physical thing. Even though it's frowned upon, my whole family smokes. Both of our parents died from cancer. We know better. It's just a hard thing to kick. And it's a terribly expensive habit to have.

January 1, 2008, 2:10 pm CST

Smoking is probably the worst habit to pick up (the worst legal habit anyway).  I tried it in high school and I didn't like it, so I quit.  My parent's both smoked for years.  My dad quit cold turkey a long time ago, but my mom refuses to quit.  My grandmother died from lung cancer, and my other grandmother has emphasema from second hand smoke.  She never smoked herself.  My mom started buying cigarettes for my little brother when he was 16.  When he was 17, a doctor told him he needed to quit because his lungs were s*%!, which is really sad.  He is now 19 and still chain smokes.  My aunt buys cigarettes for my 15 year old cousin.  I work at McDonald's, which is a non smoking restaurant, but people still come through the drive through and blow their smoke in my face.  Thankfully that will end now because our state is now smoke free as of today.  What bothers me the most is the people who have absolutely no regard for the children who cannot say, "please don't smoke around me, I don't like it".  Most of the people in my family smoke, and none of them have a problem blowing their smoke into the faces of my children, who are 3 and 5.  I do not have a problem with people who choose to smoke, my problem is with the ones who do it with no consideration for others.  I believe that everyone should quit for their health, but that's not going to happen.  We all know it is bad for our health, and many people who want to quit can't because it is an addiction.  But there are many people also who just do not want to quit.  All we can really do is hope that they decide it's not worth their health before it is too late, and ask them not to smoke around those of us who don't want to breathe the smoke.  Good luck to all of those trying to quit!

January 1, 2008, 9:49 pm CST

I am 47 and overweight

I am a 47 wife and grandmother I am overweight  I dont smoke or drink but I tend to really over eat   I want to loose weight this year But  I havent told my family I know they would support me in this decission for the girls (19-22-24)  are always telling me they are worried about me... I weigh over 300 lbs and find it hard to walk.. I  have sleep apenia (probelly spelled wrong) and use a cpap mechine..I want too loose weight for my self and my family I dont know the diffence in a starch or  anything like that so what would be the best way to go about this I have cut back already..I talked to my dr and he said  I needed to see a dietician But with no insurance you just cant  go and do all that..My sister weighed over 300 as well and had lap band done and is now about 125  but I dont know about all that she looks really old from it and she is younger than I am...so where do I start  Debbie

January 2, 2008, 6:09 am CST

I'M LOSING MY PATIENCE!

My husband and I have been married for 25 years. We have two healthy, smart grown up children.

Our 24 year old son finished college and got his doctorate degree in Pharmacy. He married a wonderful girl this past May.

Our 21 year old daughter began college right out of HS and moved out on her own last year. This past August, she moved back in our home. She was diagnosed at the age of 16 with Bipolar Disorder. She has quit college and is working part time. When she moved back home, we gave her 2 options, eithre pay $50 a week for room and board, or help with chores. She opted to help with chores. Well, neeedless to say, she has not kept her end of the bargain. She goes out drinking with her friends, and I have found out she has been drinking alone in her room. She has admitted to me she has tried cocaine 2 times, but swears she does not do it now. She has a stack of bills rubber banned not even opened sitting here and all her bills are in collections. My husband and I made her a deal when she started college that IF she finished and got her degree, we would pay for her entire schooling, but if she did not finish and dropped out, the bills were hers. We are in a great deal of college debt for her because she said her college bills are OURS. Our son is paying for his bills from college. She always says "I'm sorry I'm not as smart as my brother", and we always assure her she is not in any competition with him, nor do we expect her to out-do her brother, but rather be herself.She is very disrespectful, self-centered, irresponsible and unappreciative to my husband and me. We hate to kick her out of the house because we fear because of her Bipolar disorder she will harm herself. I have tried talking calmly to her about things and her  snotty reply is "DON'T WORRY ABOT IT! I'M 21!" I feel like I am going to one day lose my cool here with her. I have even prayed to God and told him, "People say you do not give us more then we can handle. Well, I am putting my life in your hands and I ask for guidance and support"

January 2, 2008, 6:44 am CST

Don't smoke!

I smoked for 26 years and quit a year and a half ago - just before I was diagnosed for the second time with mouth cancer.  After having a 10 hour surgery where they removed most of the left inside of my mouth and replaced it with part of my arm, I spent 2 weeks on a ventilator and 6 more weeks at home to "recover".  There is no real recovery - quality of life is never the same again!  I was the absolute smoker - I never thought I'd be able to quit.  The chance of my surviving another 5 to 10 years is marginal - evethough I no longer smoke.  If you don't smoke - please don't start.  If you do smoke - do everything you can to quit.  I may never see my grandkids and my youngest is still in high school.  quitting is the hardest thing you'll ever do - but it's the best thing you'll ever do.  You won't be an outcast anymore, your house, car and clothes smell better and after the initial "shock" of quitting you feel better.  We all know not to start - I was a respiratory therapist and that's when I started smoking....

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last