Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Number of Replies: 129
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:24 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's that time of year where we all take a long, hard look at our lives to see what's not working for us. Dr. Phil's guests say they desperately need to change unhealthy lifestyles or they might not make it to another year. Jill weighs 375 pounds and says she's afraid she'll die if she doesn't drop 210 pounds. Her friend, Cathi, says Jill is a miserable person, and she needs to stop making daily trips to McDonald's. Will Jill be able to put down the Big Mac and pick up some healthier eating habits? Dr. Phil has a drastic plan that will help her get on the right track. Then, Pam vows to quit smoking in 2008 but claims her husband, Eric, is one of the reasons she can't kick her 22-year addiction. Pam says she can't resist the urge to light up when he does. Will a recently discovered tumor be enough to make Pam kick the butts? And, Nyasha and Simone claim their sister, Victoria, has a toxic personality, and they're giving her an ultimatum: Get your act together or get gone! They say she curses, steals from relatives and starts fist fights with them in front of her kids. What's behind Victoria's bad behavior, and will she be able to change her angry ways before she alienates her family? Share your own New Year's resolutions and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 2, 2008, 7:41 am CST

For Jill

Dear Jill,

I am also starting out this year to lose weight and get healthy. I need to lose between 55 and 65 pounds. I  also sneak candy sometimes and have never been able to stick to a plan or a diet or exercise program. I even paid for a personal trainor once a week for about 4-6 months. It ended up being a waste of money because i would either cancel my appointment (even though i had to pay for it anyway) or i wouldn't work out any other time during the week. It was like going to school and getting an 'F' because i didn't complete my work. I will check in on your progress often. I have never been on the message boards before and am not sure how it works, but i hope to keep in touch with you and be encouraged myself.

newme2008

January 2, 2008, 8:20 am CST

Hmmm

As far as losing wieght goes people need to lay off the fast food and junk food. Also try to exercise to get in shape. I myself have issues with my wieght and try not to get crazy about junk food and I try not to eat too many fast foods either. Smoking can be real bad I used to smoke but have not in 7 and a half years. I have seen what smoking can do to people firsthand. My grandpa died from it. My granny is now dying from it too as well. If you can find a way to get help to stop that I recommend it. It might save your life.

January 2, 2008, 12:35 pm CST

Quit Smoking. Ingredients in cigarettes.

Quote From: housewife52

First off, I started smoking at age 46. I am now 53. I know, it sounds crazy. Well, before I began to inhale, I too, thought that smokers could just lay those cigarettes now and move on. I now know differently. It is an addiction. Most of the people I know who have quit, say they quit cold turkey. They all say it's the best way. My doctor has tried to talk me into trying Chantix, one of the newest medications to help stop smoking. But, you have to already have the mind set to be determined to quit. When I try to cut down, all I can think about is when I can have my next cigarette. I know it's bad for me. It feels like a mental thing, more than a physical thing. Even though it's frowned upon, my whole family smokes. Both of our parents died from cancer. We know better. It's just a hard thing to kick. And it's a terribly expensive habit to have.

I'm not a smoker.  I hate them, and always will.  Both of my parents smoked, but my Father did stop.  He stopped cold turkey.  I was happy he did.  My Mother is still smoking.  And so does my grown adult daughters.  I warned them, and showed them the grossest pictures what can happen to them, but it doesn't phase them.  They keep right on smoking.  It's just not the nicotine in the cigarette, it's the other horrible chemicals that are in cigarettes.  Read the ingredients, all of it's poison.  You'll want to put those horrible things down. 

1.  Ammonia-House hold cleaner;

2.  Angelica root extract-Known to cause cancer in animals;

3.  Arsenic-Used in Rat Poisons;

4.  Benzene-Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber;

5.  Butane-Gas; used in lighter fluid;

6.  Carbon monoxide-Poisonous gas;

7.  Cadmium-Used in batteries;

8.  Cyanide-Deadly poison;

9.  DDT-A banned insecticide;

10. Ethyl Furoate-Causes liver damage in animals;

11. Lead-Poisonous in high doses,

12. Formaldehyde - Used to preserve dead specimens;

13. Methoprene - Insecticide;

14. Megastigmatrienone - Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice;

15. Maltitol - Sweetener for diabetics;

16. Naphthalene - Ingredient in mothballs;

17. Methyl isocyanate - Its  accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984; and

18. Polonium - Cancer causing radioactive element.  Now do you want to keep putting this horrible poison in your precious lungs?  All you smokers, do your self a favor, QUIT SMOKING!!!!  IT'S NOT WORTH PUTTING THIS POISON INTO YOUR OWN PRECIOUS LUNGS!!!!  STOP BURNING YOUR MONEY, AND PUT YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY WHERE IT REALLY COUNTS!!!!  YOUR FAMILY, FOOD, HOUSE, CAR, EDUCATION, CLOTHES, AND VACATION!!!!   

January 2, 2008, 12:41 pm CST

Disagree

Will power DOES exist. I am an ex 2-1/2 pack a day smoker that decided that I was going to quit. I didn’t TRY to quit, I decided I was GOING to quit. To me that is willpower. I don’t believe in patches or gum or anything else. To me if Dr Phil helps this lady as well as the over weight lady it’s no different than gum or a patch. 14 years later I have no problem with smoking or smokers and never have since that special day because I relied on myself to do it. Dr Phil is great and knows a lot of stuff but he only knows addition from a book. I have kicked one and another is on the way thanks to “will power” he says doesn’t exist or work.

January 2, 2008, 12:57 pm CST

Stop Smoking

I,too, was a smoker forever.  I have now been smoke free for 11 months.  I used Chantix and it was wonderful.  Please have your guest try it.  44% quit using it, and it is pretty much pain free.  I have never done a message board, but am really passionate about sharing my quit story.

January 2, 2008, 1:01 pm CST

Stop Smoking

Just wanted to tell a little story about the consequences of not quitting.

In January 2006, my boyfriend of 18 years and I went to Mexico to visit one of his brothers, Robert, who retired and moved there. Charlie was 63. He had smoked since teen years...long time. He always thought he was invincable. He actually thought a heart attack would get him.

Shortly after returning from Mexico, he began to feel bad just walking around. His joints hurt going up and down stairs. We attributed it to his age and change of jobs. He had been a printer for 34 years, then moved to a "white collar" job in the offices. After several printing companies closed for which he was a salesman, he made a move to be a carpenter at a local hospital. He really loved what he was doing. He had less stress in this new vocation. So we just thought because of his age, going up and down ladders was taking a toll on him.

We also thought that maybe he picked up a bug of some sort since being out of the country. He went to the doctor. Had a chest x-ray on April 7, was diagnosed on May 3 with Stage 4 lung cancer...inoperable and incurable, by May 26 he was in the hospital with pnemonia, had a heart attack on Wednesday (5/31), put on a respirator, and died on June 2. The only thing I can thank God about is that it was quick. A little too quick. He didn't get his finances in order. We weren't married, so I was out in the cold.

What Dr. Phil said to the one guest was absolutely true, that one way or the other you will quit smoking...either on your own where you are in control, or God will make the choice for you.

I hope you pass this on to the lady and husband who were your guests and still seemed ambivalent about their quitting.

January 2, 2008, 1:10 pm CST

Hey Debbie!

Quote From: edanddeb98

I am a 47 wife and grandmother I am overweight  I dont smoke or drink but I tend to really over eat   I want to loose weight this year But  I havent told my family I know they would support me in this decission for the girls (19-22-24)  are always telling me they are worried about me... I weigh over 300 lbs and find it hard to walk.. I  have sleep apenia (probelly spelled wrong) and use a cpap mechine..I want too loose weight for my self and my family I dont know the diffence in a starch or  anything like that so what would be the best way to go about this I have cut back already..I talked to my dr and he said  I needed to see a dietician But with no insurance you just cant  go and do all that..My sister weighed over 300 as well and had lap band done and is now about 125  but I dont know about all that she looks really old from it and she is younger than I am...so where do I start  Debbie
Debbie, Hi! Howyadoin'? I went to dogpile.com and typed in "nutritional weight loss diets" and they had some sites and I think this one, www.foodfit.com looked promising. Go there and see what you think about it. I thought it looked like it had some good information. Hang in there and I wish you the best in 2008.

January 2, 2008, 1:12 pm CST

Daughter has Bi-polar also

Quote From: moms_losing_it

My husband and I have been married for 25 years. We have two healthy, smart grown up children.

Our 24 year old son finished college and got his doctorate degree in Pharmacy. He married a wonderful girl this past May.

Our 21 year old daughter began college right out of HS and moved out on her own last year. This past August, she moved back in our home. She was diagnosed at the age of 16 with Bipolar Disorder. She has quit college and is working part time. When she moved back home, we gave her 2 options, eithre pay $50 a week for room and board, or help with chores. She opted to help with chores. Well, neeedless to say, she has not kept her end of the bargain. She goes out drinking with her friends, and I have found out she has been drinking alone in her room. She has admitted to me she has tried cocaine 2 times, but swears she does not do it now. She has a stack of bills rubber banned not even opened sitting here and all her bills are in collections. My husband and I made her a deal when she started college that IF she finished and got her degree, we would pay for her entire schooling, but if she did not finish and dropped out, the bills were hers. We are in a great deal of college debt for her because she said her college bills are OURS. Our son is paying for his bills from college. She always says "I'm sorry I'm not as smart as my brother", and we always assure her she is not in any competition with him, nor do we expect her to out-do her brother, but rather be herself.She is very disrespectful, self-centered, irresponsible and unappreciative to my husband and me. We hate to kick her out of the house because we fear because of her Bipolar disorder she will harm herself. I have tried talking calmly to her about things and her  snotty reply is "DON'T WORRY ABOT IT! I'M 21!" I feel like I am going to one day lose my cool here with her. I have even prayed to God and told him, "People say you do not give us more then we can handle. Well, I am putting my life in your hands and I ask for guidance and support"

My daughter is 27 and was just diagnosed with Bi-polar also. She was cutting on herself a lot. She doesnt do it as much as she did. She also lives at home with me and I cannot get her to do much of anything. She doesnt pay anything and refuses to do work around the house. When confronted she says she didnt know what to do because I didnt tell her. That is so frustrating because at 27 she dang well knows how to clean and cook and all that. She is just totally lazy.  My younger daughter ( who has 3 kids) also lives with us. She was diagnosed with Anxiety disorder and something else, plus she has fibromylgia and chronic migranes. When asked why she hasnt done anything around the house it is always an excuse also like I was too tired or my head hurt. I work every day and beleive me I have enough problems of my own both physically and mentally. I too am terrified of just throwing these girls out because I do not know what will happen to them, on the other hand maybe they would grow up and learn to do things for themselves.

It is like being between a rock and a hard place.

My daughters are also rude and snotty when I try to talk to them.

January 2, 2008, 1:15 pm CST

Smoking

I too tried to quit smoking and with the new drug Chantix I almost made it. My husband wasnt very supportive. Our bedroom is very tiny and he likes to go in there and smoke and have a dr. pepper before he goes to sleep and he refused to not smoke around me. My daughters didnt help any either. I know how hard it is to quit. I have been there and tried to quit. Quitting is easy it is staying quit that is impossible.

January 2, 2008, 1:22 pm CST

Chantix

Quote From: turtle55

I,too, was a smoker forever.  I have now been smoke free for 11 months.  I used Chantix and it was wonderful.  Please have your guest try it.  44% quit using it, and it is pretty much pain free.  I have never done a message board, but am really passionate about sharing my quit story.

I too took Chantix and it is great to help you quit smoking but once I was through the 12 weeks I was right back to smoking. So for 45 dollars a month it is not worth it because once the drug is out of your system you are right back to smoking. I am not the only one that has taken this drug and as soon as the 12 weeks are up are right back to smoking.

Congratulations on your success.  I am very happy that you were able to quit and I truly hope you never pick up a cigarette again. There are a lot of people that do quit when they take the chantix unfortunately I wasnt one of them but I am thinking of trying the Chantix again.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last