Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Number of Replies: 129
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:24 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's that time of year where we all take a long, hard look at our lives to see what's not working for us. Dr. Phil's guests say they desperately need to change unhealthy lifestyles or they might not make it to another year. Jill weighs 375 pounds and says she's afraid she'll die if she doesn't drop 210 pounds. Her friend, Cathi, says Jill is a miserable person, and she needs to stop making daily trips to McDonald's. Will Jill be able to put down the Big Mac and pick up some healthier eating habits? Dr. Phil has a drastic plan that will help her get on the right track. Then, Pam vows to quit smoking in 2008 but claims her husband, Eric, is one of the reasons she can't kick her 22-year addiction. Pam says she can't resist the urge to light up when he does. Will a recently discovered tumor be enough to make Pam kick the butts? And, Nyasha and Simone claim their sister, Victoria, has a toxic personality, and they're giving her an ultimatum: Get your act together or get gone! They say she curses, steals from relatives and starts fist fights with them in front of her kids. What's behind Victoria's bad behavior, and will she be able to change her angry ways before she alienates her family? Share your own New Year's resolutions and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 2, 2008, 1:25 pm CST

Holy Smokes!

Quote From: survivedca

I smoked for 26 years and quit a year and a half ago - just before I was diagnosed for the second time with mouth cancer.  After having a 10 hour surgery where they removed most of the left inside of my mouth and replaced it with part of my arm, I spent 2 weeks on a ventilator and 6 more weeks at home to "recover".  There is no real recovery - quality of life is never the same again!  I was the absolute smoker - I never thought I'd be able to quit.  The chance of my surviving another 5 to 10 years is marginal - evethough I no longer smoke.  If you don't smoke - please don't start.  If you do smoke - do everything you can to quit.  I may never see my grandkids and my youngest is still in high school.  quitting is the hardest thing you'll ever do - but it's the best thing you'll ever do.  You won't be an outcast anymore, your house, car and clothes smell better and after the initial "shock" of quitting you feel better.  We all know not to start - I was a respiratory therapist and that's when I started smoking....

Your message has made me stop and think. I am sitting here smoking a Marboro Mild as I type. Thank you for posting this. I do not think about resolutions only on Jan.1, I think about resolving to do things different all throughout the year. My Dr. has tried to get me to take Chantix to help me stop smoking. He even called in the prescription when I told him I didn't think I have the mind-set to stop smoking. You see, I have resolved to stop several times. Threw away the cigs. The longest I went was 20 days. Dr.P told the lady that the first 7-8 days would be hard. For me the first 20 days were hard. After that I gave up and felt like I couldn't do it. Even now sitting here, I feel weak, I don't think I REALLY want to stop.  I could just kick myself for ever starting. Believe it or not I was 46 years old before I STARTED smoking. I am now 53. Again, thank you for your post. Best of luck with your continuing "recovery" 

January 2, 2008, 1:46 pm CST

Start Reading

Quote From: edanddeb98

I am a 47 wife and grandmother I am overweight  I dont smoke or drink but I tend to really over eat   I want to loose weight this year But  I havent told my family I know they would support me in this decission for the girls (19-22-24)  are always telling me they are worried about me... I weigh over 300 lbs and find it hard to walk.. I  have sleep apenia (probelly spelled wrong) and use a cpap mechine..I want too loose weight for my self and my family I dont know the diffence in a starch or  anything like that so what would be the best way to go about this I have cut back already..I talked to my dr and he said  I needed to see a dietician But with no insurance you just cant  go and do all that..My sister weighed over 300 as well and had lap band done and is now about 125  but I dont know about all that she looks really old from it and she is younger than I am...so where do I start  Debbie
One place to start is to read the every package before it goes in your food cart.  If the fat content is half or more than the amount of the calories per serving put it back on the shelf.  And watch the serving size.  If the serving size says 3 cookies & the package contains 6 then you have to double the calories & the fat content if you are planning to eat the 6 instead of the 3.  The same goes for high sodium foods.  High sodium can cause water retention.  Any kind of pasta will elevate the sugar in your blood so moderation is the key word for pasta.  Starches such as potatoes, rice, bread should be eaten in moderation without anything added to them.  Eat all you want of vegetables either frozen or fresh and dried beans are a great source of protein & fiber.  You will be surprised how many different dishes you can make from turkey & chicken.  I substitute them for ground beef or pork & you cannot tell the difference.  And don't forget to drink water instead of sodas.  I hope this little bit of information has helped.  Good luck & keep smiling because you have a beautiful smile.  I am a grandma of 7 & I have to cook for a husband that has to be on a low fat, low sodium diet & it still has to be good enough so I can please everyone that comes to dinner.     

January 2, 2008, 1:48 pm CST

Losing weight in not easy. It's a lifestyle change not a diet!!!

Dr. Phil is 100% completely, totally, to a T correct when he talks about weight loss, or losing weight. If its 20 pounds or 200 pounds the lifestyle changes that are required are the same for everyone.

The BIGGEST mistake people make/so is that 'They need to go on a diet'. ANY person who says that will automatically be setting themselves up for failure for many, many reason. First off a DIET is typically for a SET period of time, and during every minute of that time people who diet are miserable, irritable, grumpy, counting the minutes, wanting FAST results. = FAILURE.

You don't diet. You change your LIFE, your LIFESTYLE to a better way of eating, a more positive means of making your body burn calories, exercising, working out. Don't get scared by the term 'WORKING OUT or EXERCISING' because when it truely comes down to it, and I will personally guarntee ANYONE on this website, the Dr. Phil show or anyone in the US or Canada... This is how it breaks down. 70% Eating Habits and 30% Exercising/Working Out/doing something that helps (taking stairs instead of elevator/parking farther away from the door/walking aroung your neighbourhood for 20-30-45 minutes).

I know it works cause I do it, I live it and some of my best/closest friends who do it and even train other people to do it, and those same friends who professionally compete in natural bodybuilding/sports competitions and continually win in their weightclasses, obviously know what they are doing and I can guarntee it works, cause I did it also. Just to see what I could accomplish I did stay super strict all the time and did get down to less then 5% bodyfat while keeping alot/all my muscle mass is definately making a statement. All I did was eat properly 6 days/week, and have a 'cheat' meal/day the other day, and workout 5 days week for 1hr or 1hr @ 15 min...

It actually gets easier at time goes by, infact you start to like it, love it and can't stop it cause the results make you happier and happier...other people notice you get happier still! you feel better, look better, etc, etc...

NEVER DIET! You will be miserable and in the end gain more weight then you ever will lose. Instead make some lifestyle changes. Eat better, eat properly, and stick to it. Get mad at yourself, pump yourself up, get madder at yourself, tell yourself your won't fail, you will show them all! Failure is not an option....

Remember 70% Diet/Eating Habits and 30% Exercising/Working Out.

I suppose IF it came down to it and if someone wasn't able to workout/train/exercise you would STILL get results by simply eating better but they will not come as fast or as well.

January 2, 2008, 1:53 pm CST

Re: Chantix.

Quote From: uglyiest

I too took Chantix and it is great to help you quit smoking but once I was through the 12 weeks I was right back to smoking. So for 45 dollars a month it is not worth it because once the drug is out of your system you are right back to smoking. I am not the only one that has taken this drug and as soon as the 12 weeks are up are right back to smoking.

Congratulations on your success.  I am very happy that you were able to quit and I truly hope you never pick up a cigarette again. There are a lot of people that do quit when they take the chantix unfortunately I wasnt one of them but I am thinking of trying the Chantix again.

Hi,

I would like to know where did you get Chantix for $45.00?  Here in Maryland, it's going to be over $200.00 prescription.  I would like to get this for my daughters? It's way too expensive for them to pay for it.  I can't afford it.    

Thank you very much. 

January 2, 2008, 2:00 pm CST

BOTH my parents QUIT smoking almost 25 yrs ago!

Ive have asked my Mom and Dad many, many times just to see what they said about why they quit smoking, how they did it and how hard was it to stop...

Keep in mind BOTH my mom and dad are in their very late 50's now and have quit smoking for almost 25 yrs now.

They BOTH did it the OLD fashion way! COLD TURKEY! Keep in mind that my parents owned their own business, their own Hotel Business that's open 24/7 if and when needed. The only help was hired help to clean some of the rooms. My mom/dad did all the rest, and trust me from growing up at the business. There was a TON of work to do every, damn single day!  All the books/finances/registerations/bookings/cleaning the rooms/laundry/phones/anything that needed work/hottub/pool/etc/etc. and it was always packed because of the area with Oil and Gas Pipelines/Plants and the Ski Hills/Hockey, etc, etc, etc.... So there was NEVER and I mean EVER a day off!!

My mom said that it was very, very hard on her. Mainly because she was super sick for MONTHS! and not to scare anybody but yes, my mom said her stomach was a mess for months after she quit. She never, ever smoked again, after she quit. Even when the customers would come into the Office and be smoking or ask for a smoke or offer a smoke. The bad part was the illness/sickness for about 4 months... But she said she slept whenever she could and she also said eating alot of Yogurt helped with her stomach problems. Not sure if it was the bacteria in the yogurt or what... My mom said she would sit and think and say "Why should I let this little thing control MY LIFE...How can something so small have such control over her life.." and she stopped and never looked back. My dads story is pretty much the same BUT he didnt have quite the same stomach problems...

The key is that you MUST be MENTALLY STRONG/MENTALLY READY to quit... If your not 100% determined, 100% ready and 100% willing to SUFFER and SUCK IT  UP... Then you will FAIL!

It's that easy, if you want to do it you will, if not you will simply fail....same goes for losing weight..

January 2, 2008, 2:12 pm CST

What does Jill do all day?

I beleive a big reason alot of people are fat and overweight is because they have nothing to do all day. Either they are simply lazy and don't work or they choose not to work. So when people are bored they look for things to do, so why not eat for something to do?? It's true it happens! People eat because they are bored! because they have nothing to do....

Jill get a JOB? why not WORK? Get some structure in your day? find something to do so you can't think about food all the time, or just so you dont eat JUST for something to do! If your bored, don't have a job, don't have a job, you will simply eat to kill some time..

Jill is overweight because its the easy thing to do. Food doesn't say NO, food doesn't label you!!!!!

Jill is in a BIIIIIIIIG (no pun intended) hole.... She loves to eat, she eats just for something to do, she eats the absolute worst foods, I'll promise you she is depressed, lonely, sad, etc, etc. Im sure FOOD makes JILL happy, FOOD satisfies JILL even if only for a brief few moments.....

Jill is addicted to food for a wide variety of reasons. (She's bored, she does not work, so eating is doing something, food makes her less depressed, etc I could go on and on and on.) the signs are clear and visible.......

Jill needs MAJOR help, and thats assuming she even really wants to lose the 200+ pounds she added in what was it?? 1 YEAR!

Some people on here might say Im being hard on Jill but the reality is, and we can all see, shes harder on herself then any of us can ever be.. I don't know why she's laughing while shes up on stage. This is not a joke. Infact the only joke her, and Jill knows this, is the jokes the people who see her out in public make at her and Im sure does not like them....

But then again HOW can someone gain 200+ pounds in 1 year?? WOW! I mean that is a massive amount of weight for a woman to gain, let alone a man.....

January 2, 2008, 2:19 pm CST

Relatives are DYING and DEAD from smoking.

Quote From: jfabian

I'm not a smoker.  I hate them, and always will.  Both of my parents smoked, but my Father did stop.  He stopped cold turkey.  I was happy he did.  My Mother is still smoking.  And so does my grown adult daughters.  I warned them, and showed them the grossest pictures what can happen to them, but it doesn't phase them.  They keep right on smoking.  It's just not the nicotine in the cigarette, it's the other horrible chemicals that are in cigarettes.  Read the ingredients, all of it's poison.  You'll want to put those horrible things down. 

1.  Ammonia-House hold cleaner;

2.  Angelica root extract-Known to cause cancer in animals;

3.  Arsenic-Used in Rat Poisons;

4.  Benzene-Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber;

5.  Butane-Gas; used in lighter fluid;

6.  Carbon monoxide-Poisonous gas;

7.  Cadmium-Used in batteries;

8.  Cyanide-Deadly poison;

9.  DDT-A banned insecticide;

10. Ethyl Furoate-Causes liver damage in animals;

11. Lead-Poisonous in high doses,

12. Formaldehyde - Used to preserve dead specimens;

13. Methoprene - Insecticide;

14. Megastigmatrienone - Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice;

15. Maltitol - Sweetener for diabetics;

16. Naphthalene - Ingredient in mothballs;

17. Methyl isocyanate - Its  accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984; and

18. Polonium - Cancer causing radioactive element.  Now do you want to keep putting this horrible poison in your precious lungs?  All you smokers, do your self a favor, QUIT SMOKING!!!!  IT'S NOT WORTH PUTTING THIS POISON INTO YOUR OWN PRECIOUS LUNGS!!!!  STOP BURNING YOUR MONEY, AND PUT YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY WHERE IT REALLY COUNTS!!!!  YOUR FAMILY, FOOD, HOUSE, CAR, EDUCATION, CLOTHES, AND VACATION!!!!   

I also wanted to add, my Uncle on my Mother's side, her eldest brother smoked for years, of course he quit, but he's laying in his bed at home dying with emphysema, with an oxygen tank helping him to breathe.  He can't do the things he used to do.  He just lays his in bed now. 

My Uncle on my Father's side his brother, died from cancer by smoking those horrible cigarettes.  It wasn't a pretty picture to see him laying in the hospital bed with a tube down his throat to breathe.  He died Sept 10, 2001.   

So don't think your invincible, you keep on smoking and it's not going to be a pretty picture for your loved ones to see you in your bed trying to catch your breath with a oxygen tank at your bed side, or in the hospital with tubes in your throat to keep you alive.

January 2, 2008, 2:20 pm CST

Jill - go rent the movie SUPER SIZE ME!

I didnt post this in my last msg about Jill but yea go rent that movie about a man who eat at McDonalds for only 30 days! and see what it does to his body! The weight he gains, the FAT he gains, the increase in his bodyfat %, the deterioting health functions.

Jill - Also you need to stop sitting around the house all day. Get up and do something! Get off your BIG butt as 'Dr.Phil would say". and get a job or go to the damn gym! go for a walk, go get a hobby!

Jill - Why are you eating so much? What are you trying to medicate? What pain/pains are you trying to supress by eating garbage????

Jill once Dr. Phil gets ahold of you your life is GONNA CHANGE BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG TIME! and you won't like it, off the start im sure, who knows maybe not at all but Dr.Phil will be watching you like a HAWK!

If Dr. Phil and his professionals can't help you, no one will... But also if comes down to you as well.... Do you want this or not? When you get up in the morning, when you look into the mirror ask yourself.."How do you truely feel?. Are you really happy? or sad? Do you truely want a real happy life again?" So whats it gonna be????

Pain is temporary, Pride is forever! (words to live by. By me!)

January 2, 2008, 2:28 pm CST

I quit smoking with Dr. Phil

Three years ago Dr. Phil did a show on New Years Resolutions.  I had (half-heatedly) decided that 2005 would be the year that I might quit smoking.  Oh, I was a real non-believer and I truly believed that I wouldn't make it.  I had all kinds of traps that would insure failure and I could happily go back to being a smoker again.  Well, until I saw that show on January  9, 2005.  The advise he gave that worked for me was to log onto the American Lung Associations Freedom from Smoking quit smoking web site.  I thought to myself, "Oh goodie!  I haven't a clue how someone can quit smoking using a web site.  Sounds like a great way to fail and to insure my smoking habit."

The reality is, the site works!  I quit.  I didn't do it alone.  I found that I did have reasons to quit.  The accountability was through the friends that I meet on the FFS site.  I helped them to stay quit and they helped me to stay quit.  It works.  For anyone that is interested the site is www.lungusa.org.

Dr. Phil, thanks for pointing me to FFS.  I quit smoking.  Oh, I also have made some really strong friendships that I know will pass the test of time.

I have been quit for 2 Years, 10 Months, 3 Weeks, 1 hour, 54 minutes and 30 seconds (1,057 days). I have saved $4,303.88 by not smoking 17,970 cigarettes. I have savved 2 Months, 3 Days, 9 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/9/2005 2:15 PM

January 2, 2008, 2:34 pm CST

I quit smoking with Dr. Phil

Three years ago Dr. Phil did a show on New Years Resolutions.  I had (half-heatedly) decided that 2005 would be the year that I might quit smoking.  Oh, I was a real non-believer and I truly believed that I wouldn't make it.  I had all kinds of traps that would insure failure and I could happily go back to being a smoker again.  Well, until I saw that show on January  9, 2005.  The advise he gave that worked for me was to log onto the American Lung Associations Freedom from Smoking quit smoking web site.  I thought to myself, "Oh goodie!  I haven't a clue how someone can quit smoking using a web site.  Sounds like a great way to fail and to insure my smoking habit."

The reality is, the site works!  I quit.  I didn't do it alone.  I found that I did have reasons to quit.  The accountability was through the friends that I meet on the FFS site.  I helped them to stay quit and they helped me to stay quit.  It works.  For anyone that is interested the site is www.lungusa.org.

Dr. Phil, thanks for pointing me to FFS.  I quit smoking.  Oh, I also have made some really strong friendships that I know will pass the test of time.

I have been quit for 2 Years, 10 Months, 3 Weeks, 1 hour, 54 minutes and 30 seconds (1,057 days). I have saved $4,303.88 by not smoking 17,970 cigarettes. I have savved 2 Months, 3 Days, 9 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/9/2005 2:15 PM

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last