Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Number of Replies: 129
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:24 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's that time of year where we all take a long, hard look at our lives to see what's not working for us. Dr. Phil's guests say they desperately need to change unhealthy lifestyles or they might not make it to another year. Jill weighs 375 pounds and says she's afraid she'll die if she doesn't drop 210 pounds. Her friend, Cathi, says Jill is a miserable person, and she needs to stop making daily trips to McDonald's. Will Jill be able to put down the Big Mac and pick up some healthier eating habits? Dr. Phil has a drastic plan that will help her get on the right track. Then, Pam vows to quit smoking in 2008 but claims her husband, Eric, is one of the reasons she can't kick her 22-year addiction. Pam says she can't resist the urge to light up when he does. Will a recently discovered tumor be enough to make Pam kick the butts? And, Nyasha and Simone claim their sister, Victoria, has a toxic personality, and they're giving her an ultimatum: Get your act together or get gone! They say she curses, steals from relatives and starts fist fights with them in front of her kids. What's behind Victoria's bad behavior, and will she be able to change her angry ways before she alienates her family? Share your own New Year's resolutions and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 5, 2008, 8:05 am CST

Giving up McD's

I understand the draw of fast foods since I have always had poor eating habits. As of April 2007 I have successfully given up on McD's in particular and almost all fast food joints since then. No, willpower had nothing to do with it. I visited a local McD's one day at lunch, I halved the burger because I always check for undercooked meats which this one was still rather pink inside. I took it back to the counter and asked for another. This burger was also undercooked...I never got to see the inside because when I lifted the bun I could see a thin "worm" sticking out from the patty and moviing around! The meat had been undercooked and held at an inadequate temperature long enough to grow this! This was shown to the manager on duty who pulled out the "worm" and flung it to the floor!

It's very gross but should stand as a warning and possibbly a deterant to fast foods...

January 5, 2008, 8:04 pm CST

Losing weight for the new Year

I knew I couldnt lose weight by myself and that's why my doctor here recommended this wieght loss program in that was started by another doctor a few years ago and it help me a great deal. Since being on the program I have lost 51 pounds since march of 07. My starting weight was 348 lbs and my current weight is 296 lbs. If you are really serious about losing the weight then you have desire and ASK YOURSELF WHY DO I WANT TO LOSE THE WEIGHT. My reason for losing the weight is because I want to live longer and have a healthier happy life, before my reason for losing the weight was to get a girlfriend but that was the wrong mind framed I had in my head. Anyone that I date would have to accept me for the person I am on the outside.

January 6, 2008, 5:10 am CST

It's the franchise

Quote From: destrelan

I understand the draw of fast foods since I have always had poor eating habits. As of April 2007 I have successfully given up on McD's in particular and almost all fast food joints since then. No, willpower had nothing to do with it. I visited a local McD's one day at lunch, I halved the burger because I always check for undercooked meats which this one was still rather pink inside. I took it back to the counter and asked for another. This burger was also undercooked...I never got to see the inside because when I lifted the bun I could see a thin "worm" sticking out from the patty and moviing around! The meat had been undercooked and held at an inadequate temperature long enough to grow this! This was shown to the manager on duty who pulled out the "worm" and flung it to the floor!

It's very gross but should stand as a warning and possibbly a deterant to fast foods...

I hope you contacted the company and let them know about it. The thing about a company like McDonalds is that got something like 10,000 retaurants in 40 countries.  Sometimes franchising is a b*tch.  Especially when a company grows too fast or when each unit is independantly owned and operated.

I live in California, and over here we started hearing about Krispy Kreme back around 2000 and were waiting for some stores to open up out here.   When one did open in my neighborhood it lasted maybe 4 years before closing.  

More than once they had operational problems.   The last time I went was on a holiday the year it closed.   It should have been a busy time for them.  But they had equipment problems and couldn't make the original glazed domuts.  Those are too sweet for me, so I got what I wanted and drove away.  But I lingered in the parking lot maybe 15 minutes to watch car after car behind me turn away when they learned that the store had run out of their #1 donut.  The store was closed a few months later.  

I have also had problems with my local Pizza Hut.  Three times last fall I called to order only to find out that  they had run out of the advertized specials like the Dippin Strips or the P'Zone.

If these big corporations are going to eat up all the little stores, they need to deliver.  I for one am happy the little mom and pop donut shop in my neighborhood is back on top.

January 6, 2008, 9:32 am CST

thanks mini!

I quit once before for more then 5 years.  [ Don't ask me why I started smoking again. I had a reason -- as stupid as it was.]  The point is -- I know I can quit.  I know the drill and know I will be successful.  First rule: Never play head-games with yourself.  2. Never repeat past -- stupid mistakes.  3.  Every day -- will present about 100 excuses to start smoking again.  3. Don't go backwards.  4  Everyday down this road for the next 90 to 120 days will need your attention and full-determiation not to smoke. This is a process of retraining your brain  and mind and retaining your body and changing your life-style and thinking. Lastly -- This is your own hell and your personal battle.  There are no short-cuts or magic pills or enough lies to tell yourself or anyone else -- to justify lighting another damn cigerette in your life!

Yes  this is very unpleasant experience and you feel like crap!  So what?  No one every died from kicking the smoking habit. About 500,000 die smoking and cancer -- every year!  Just what do you want to die from and how?  I hope,  I have quit soon enough to die from old age and natural causes. Only time will tell.  I am living my life one-day-at-a-time.  And right now -- it's going a bit slower then that.  Each day without smoking is one day closer to getting this monkey off my back -- for the rest of my life.  I don't want to repeat any of these past 30 days -- as long as I live!

Whew...I needed that! Im on day 6, and its getting a bit easier.

I think when Im struggling, Ill come back here to re-read your part that says, " So what? No one ever died from kicking the smoking habit."

LOL...puts it back into perspective for me. Thanks.

January 6, 2008, 11:31 am CST

You can do it Jill!

Jill- Just over 5 yrs ago, I weighed  300 pounds. Today I weigh around 165. Although I am still trying to drop another 20 pounds I feel like I finally have my life back. I can't believe the change in my life not only physically but emotiionally as well. I have been able to acheive many more goals because now I know that I CAN be the change in my life that I want and need. You can do it! It isn't easy but the benefit is well worth it!

January 7, 2008, 4:35 am CST

So sorry

Quote From: girlspirit

It must be even more challenging to quit when others around you are smoking... Even worse than someone eating junk food in front of you when they know you are trying to lose weight, because your craving is chemical as well. I understand how loved ones can sabotage your efforts. If you are successful, it only emphasizes their own shortcomings. It's selfish, cruel, and disrespectful not to encourage a family member in their goal of being healthier. It's too bad we can't support our loved ones and work on ourselves together. In my own home, I hear, "It's my only joy in life" or "I'm stressed." A long list of pathetic excuses for not being a little more self-disciplined. Bad habits can always be replaced with good ones, like the poster above who sings and walks. Good for her! We need to surround ourselves with positive role models who can inspire us and act as mentors. It's always easier to have a friend who has been there, or is going through it with you.

You had my sympathy until you said, "You have to die sometime, and sometimes it is better sooner than later." REALLY? I'll try not to be too angry, and remind myself that you must be severely depressed to make such a comment. Otherwise... I can't imagine you would say something so insensitive to someone who just lost their mother. She was not ready to die. Would you like to trade places with her?

Do you have children? People who love you? If so, that is a horribly selfish attitude! I would bet anything that when your time does come, you will not want to die either. You'd be surprised at the fight people have in them to stay alive.

Did anything from my previous post sink in? DYING FROM LUNG CANCER IS A HORRIBLE AND PAINFUL DEATH whether it happens "sooner or later." Maybe you would prefer to just lose part of your mouth or throat, like someone else did. How depressing would life be then, having to talk through a trach tube??? Shame on you!

I am so sorry if I offended you in any way. I am truly sorry about your mother. I havent been there yet but am close. My father is dying also.  Yes I am very depressed but it was still a very insensitive comment to make. Sometimes we say stuff on the spur of the moment without really thinking of the consenquences or who our stupid comments may hurt.

I never meant to offend you in any way.

January 7, 2008, 10:31 am CST

smoking addiction

Quote From: purple82

I'm sorry that it has taken something as serious as a health crisis for this woman to realize that she needs to quit smoking.  When are smokers going to realize that this is a dangerous and potentially deadly habit?  I've never smoked.  I used to live with a smoker.  I don't get the whole "smoking thing".  I don't buy into the story that it's an addiction...no, sorry.  I've seen friends who smoke just stop cold turkey so I know that anyone can do it.

I hope this is a wake up call for others.

It is quite obvious that you have never smoked.  It IS an addiction.  It is an addiction that is just as difficult to stop as heroin.  I recently quit smoking after 40+ years.  I couldn't have done it without the help of a new drug.  A smoker doesn't KNOW they are addicted.  My brain told me I NEEDED a cigarette.  I didn't just want one, it was a serious NEED.   Smoking is not a choice once the person has become addicted.  Those friends of yours didn't just stop cold turkey.  It was a very difficult thing they did.  Please don't judge smokers as stupid or ignorant because that don't quit.  If you have never smoked, you don't have a clue what a quitter goes through.  I've been smoke free now for 7 months and I know that I will forever be fighting the habit and the addiction. 

January 9, 2008, 8:12 am CST

in process of quitting

I am in the process of quitting smoking and it is very hard, today is my 7th day.  I just wanted to say that I was a bit disappointed in Dr. Phil on this subject I got the feeling from watching the show that he did not think it was that difficult to quit.  Quitting smoking is just as hard as stopping drugs and drinking.  I was hoping Dr. Phil would have been a little more helpful.

January 9, 2008, 5:02 pm CST

Still Keeping on

Dear jill,

You really did inspire me to get started getting healthy. So, i am continuing my one day at a time. i have successfully done exercise of some sort every day that i had planned to. I really am excited about it being different this time. One foot in front of the other......I am rooting for you!

newme2008 

January 10, 2008, 3:30 am CST

Your not alone

Dear Jill,

I am a 32year old single mother of two,  I rec. Dr Phil every day but don't get to watch them for a few days most of the time. Its 4:00am here and i just watched your part of the show and I thought i need more sleep thought i was seeing myself on the show.  I am 310lb and on June 15 2006 was the first day i tryed to stop my addiction to Mc Donald's I am happy to say i made it till Dec. 23 2007 before i give in and eat it again and have since had it three times when i stopped i was calling it my fix i was like you hiding it and eating as fast as i could i would go throw drive throw and didn't even have to give my full order and the girls know what i wanted it got to the point i was imaging the dink going into my body like a iv like i need it to live i was hiding it from my family i would pay cash so there was no recored of it i would park at the sports arena I know know one would ever look for me there and trow the trash out and go home and eat a full meal with my family so they didn't know i was eating there i would say at least 10 times a week my mom would say you eat there every day i would argue with her and she would change to sorry you sometimes eat there two times a day.

When i stopped i would like to say i lost and felt better but i end up changing to DQ and A&W and pizza KFC in the last few weeks I give up telling myself i am no better off then when i started I am just spending more money because it cost less to eat at McDonald's the first time i felt sick to my stumic when i had it the second time i told my self will you fucked up already so my pay more to eat some place else and today when i had i had been craving it for days and it was back to the same old feeling i had a Big Mac meal up sized , a mc chicken with bacon add  a value bacon cheese Burger and sweet and sour sauce for my fries and MC Chicken sauce added to my fries and BCB.  It was just like before  and like you i have Dr Phil's book in my dresser i think it is the one that has my bra's that don't fit me anymore so most days i don't wear one.  I am ashamed to go to my kids school,  At work my legs kill me i feel like i cant more another inc when i get home i am tired all the time I also have Borderline personalty disorder so i am always down on myself my depression gets very bad and I wounder all the time what kind of mother i am to my children living this life style but like you I know i can not do it alone I am happy to know there is someone out there getting help my family sat me down and Had me watch super size me thinking i may stop at the end of the show i got up and went to McDonald's .

Dr Phil You are a wonderful person and I am so glad you help people in need there is so few people that care for others in there time of need now days god bless you for helping Jill  .....Jill best of luck to you in your journey ...PS sorry about the spelling

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last