Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 No Kidding New Year's Resolutions

Number of Replies: 129
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:24 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's that time of year where we all take a long, hard look at our lives to see what's not working for us. Dr. Phil's guests say they desperately need to change unhealthy lifestyles or they might not make it to another year. Jill weighs 375 pounds and says she's afraid she'll die if she doesn't drop 210 pounds. Her friend, Cathi, says Jill is a miserable person, and she needs to stop making daily trips to McDonald's. Will Jill be able to put down the Big Mac and pick up some healthier eating habits? Dr. Phil has a drastic plan that will help her get on the right track. Then, Pam vows to quit smoking in 2008 but claims her husband, Eric, is one of the reasons she can't kick her 22-year addiction. Pam says she can't resist the urge to light up when he does. Will a recently discovered tumor be enough to make Pam kick the butts? And, Nyasha and Simone claim their sister, Victoria, has a toxic personality, and they're giving her an ultimatum: Get your act together or get gone! They say she curses, steals from relatives and starts fist fights with them in front of her kids. What's behind Victoria's bad behavior, and will she be able to change her angry ways before she alienates her family? Share your own New Year's resolutions and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 10, 2008, 7:20 am CST

If I can do it so can you.

Jill,

My motto is " Nothing tastes as good as weight loss feels."

Last year I made up my mind to do something for myself and stop complaining how bad I was feeling about myself. I joined LA Weightloss to help me loss weight.

I was 190 lbs and could not seem to loose any weight even though I was trying to., I thought!!

After a year I have managed to lose 40 lbs. It was slow but consistent.

LA Weightloss helped me realize that it is a mind set and ultimately I am responsible for me and it is all about attitude, portion control and making the right food choices. I did not eliminate any of the food groups

I lost about a pound a week and now I am now finished losing weight and LA Weightloss is helping me get stabilized so I can maintain my weight.

This changed my life, I am 53 years old and have had weight issues all of my life. I have lost and gained more weight than I care to think about using diet herbs, pills and all of the fad diets out there.

Jill, I want to encourage you to stay with the program and be consistent. It took you a while to put on the weight so it will take time to take it off but as Dr. Phil stated to you it is not a quick fix it will come off one bit at a time but soon you will find out that those little bits will add up to major pounds.

My biggest reward was buying my first  "little black dress" for a dinner I am going to .

January 10, 2008, 9:08 am CST

Abuse and Weight Loss

Dr. Phil,

Last night, I awoke in the middle of your "Keeping Resolutions" show. Your first guest was a woman who was 375 lbs., and your treatment of her was appalling. Over the years, I have seen you do many positive things with people, but I strongly disagree to your treatment of obesity. Yes, you have written 7 step books with success, but to suggest that a woman's photo be taped up, so she will be refused Mc Donald's and humiliated simulaneously is disgraceful. A person with a serious food addiction will find another Mc Donald's to frequent. Humiliation has never been a successful healing tool.

I seem to remember that you said that your sisters have weight issues.  Would you like their pictures plastered up in fast food establishments? Don't you know that people with lifelong or enlongated battles with weight are continuously abused, for people believe they have license to abuse one who is overweight.?  Eating disorders are treated differently. In your many shows regarding anorexia, I have never heard you suggest to paste  an anorexic person's picture up, for public humiliation. As we all know, skinny is fashionable. For the most part,  as you pointed out, obese people are self medicating, and their problems are deep rooted. They are not doing this because they"Like" it, but they found a way to armor they emotional and psychological issues.  There are a plethora of reasons;it could be poor self esteem, victims of abuse, no affection or no love.  None of these reasons deserve abusive commentary or actions.No matter what the cause, abusing them does not remediate the problem. Yes, you may embarrass and brow beat them to temporary success, but this is a harmful bandaid solution.  I didn't notice you suggesting to the woman with the smoking problem that her photo be taped on cigarette machines or venues that sell cigarettes.

As you have probably deducted, I am a person with an obesity problem. It has been my problem all my life. People use all kinds of excuses to abuse, but obesity should not give one a license to abuse. Speaking from a perspective of  being an obese person, support and positive reinforcement gives one meaningful feedback; this is the fuel that can provide positive life eating changes. Continued degradation does not. Most of us, with weight problems, realize the medical danger, but the emotional pain seems to take precedent. I'm hopeful you will take my heartfelt words as food for thought because you are using your medical license to abuse people; this is unacceptable in a world where human quality should take priority.

With Respect,

Kathryn Forestal

January 11, 2008, 5:16 am CST

request for jill

Dear Jill,

If you have a chance to start posting yourself to let us know how you are doing, that would be awesome. i hope you are being successful at getting started. I have been exercising for almost 1 week. on a regular basis. yeah for me. of course, no  weight loss, but i am praying and hoping for that to happen. Please let us know. I am having to ake my 'seal of success' as my activity not my result right now. thanks for going on the show and being an inspriation.

newme2008

January 15, 2008, 6:32 am CST

still keeping my resolution

dear Jill,

i hope you are being successful at all you are doing in changing your life. I am still continuing with my

resolution despite the fact that  have had ZERO weight loss. I have pretty much kept up my schedule of elliptical every other day and 'the firm' every other day. i am now able to get through about 40% of the firm.

i looking for successful weight loss and look forward to feeling better. i hope you are also.

newme2008

January 21, 2008, 5:00 am CST

no kidding, still keeping my resolution

dear jill,

I hope you are gettting your life in order. I am watching the dr phil show you were on and i would like to know how you are doing. i am still keeping my resolution. i have been exercising fatithfully. TWICE I have missed my days but i did double exercise the next day so that the same amount of calories were burned per week. I am watching what i am eating, but, after 2.5 weeks now or maybe three, i have not lost one pound. that is disappointing. i am reminding myself daily that it is the activity and commitment, not the results. i am praying that any day now, my weight will start to move. i can do about 65% of my'the firm' work out now. i DO feel better when i exercise.

newme2008

January 23, 2008, 4:39 pm CST

enough already!

I am not a fan of New Year's resolutions. If you're going to make a change, YOU CAN DO IT ANY TIME OF THE YEAR, WHY WAIT UNTIL JAN 1st?

New Year's resolutions sound so fake, insecure, and forced. It's a waste of time and they are always

negative.

February 9, 2008, 1:40 pm CST

WE QUIT

Quote From: connerchristy

Thanks for the encouraging success story I hope I can have the same one with my husband 11 years from now. I remember when I started i said to myself  "I wont ever say Ive smoked more than 10 years" Now I have passed it by a few years and dont want to say "another day let alone a year". 

christy

Your story was the icing we needed on top

Me and my husband quit smoking January 6, 2008

We want to say in 20 years that we quit 20 years ago

We chew on the nicorette when we crave one

Thats ok though

no more stinky clothes and breath

I have more time with my daughter

more money  more self esteem

less worry about my health

and if Im gonna run out of cigs tonight ................                         Christy

February 9, 2008, 1:46 pm CST

WE QUIT

Jill,

If u can get to the message board about the show on quiting smoking please get that great encouragement.

Mike & I quit Jan 6, 2008 we chew nicorette sometime but I have a jaw problem so I dont chew much

I pray ur husband quits with u its the best thing u both can do for each other PLUS

Youll have more money, more self esteem more time and less worry

PRAYING FOR YOU BOTH  Christy

February 9, 2008, 2:01 pm CST

PHOTOS POSTED AT WALMART NOT ANSWER

Quote From: regla7

Dr. Phil,

Last night, I awoke in the middle of your "Keeping Resolutions" show. Your first guest was a woman who was 375 lbs., and your treatment of her was appalling. Over the years, I have seen you do many positive things with people, but I strongly disagree to your treatment of obesity. Yes, you have written 7 step books with success, but to suggest that a woman's photo be taped up, so she will be refused Mc Donald's and humiliated simulaneously is disgraceful. A person with a serious food addiction will find another Mc Donald's to frequent. Humiliation has never been a successful healing tool.

I seem to remember that you said that your sisters have weight issues.  Would you like their pictures plastered up in fast food establishments? Don't you know that people with lifelong or enlongated battles with weight are continuously abused, for people believe they have license to abuse one who is overweight.?  Eating disorders are treated differently. In your many shows regarding anorexia, I have never heard you suggest to paste  an anorexic person's picture up, for public humiliation. As we all know, skinny is fashionable. For the most part,  as you pointed out, obese people are self medicating, and their problems are deep rooted. They are not doing this because they"Like" it, but they found a way to armor they emotional and psychological issues.  There are a plethora of reasons;it could be poor self esteem, victims of abuse, no affection or no love.  None of these reasons deserve abusive commentary or actions.No matter what the cause, abusing them does not remediate the problem. Yes, you may embarrass and brow beat them to temporary success, but this is a harmful bandaid solution.  I didn't notice you suggesting to the woman with the smoking problem that her photo be taped on cigarette machines or venues that sell cigarettes.

As you have probably deducted, I am a person with an obesity problem. It has been my problem all my life. People use all kinds of excuses to abuse, but obesity should not give one a license to abuse. Speaking from a perspective of  being an obese person, support and positive reinforcement gives one meaningful feedback; this is the fuel that can provide positive life eating changes. Continued degradation does not. Most of us, with weight problems, realize the medical danger, but the emotional pain seems to take precedent. I'm hopeful you will take my heartfelt words as food for thought because you are using your medical license to abuse people; this is unacceptable in a world where human quality should take priority.

With Respect,

Kathryn Forestal

I always felt a weird feeling inside when Dr Phil would say for the picture to be hung at the McDonalds.

I agree that it is more harm than good and that I would drive to get what I want to a different place.

I bet it doesnt work anyways and fear is not helpful. Being overweight is a real battle. You get tired of trying because of the slow process. But dont give up if you mess up 1 day or even 1 week u still have over 300 days in the year to get it right. I have a big like for chocolate I eat some every day. I think I could  do alot better if I cut out most of the chocolate.  And yes if you were wondering I would chew on ice if I werent worried about it hurting my teeth.  HA HA      Hope you all get that  what Im lacking    Christy

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next Page | Last Page