Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 29, 2007, 5:59 am CST

Just not sure about this

I really have trouble understanding this.  I just don't know how these things get started.  I have two teenagers and they are not perfect, but I cannot imagine them even trying anything like this.  Are parents really not aware or do they just think it is no big deal?

December 29, 2007, 10:40 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor New Of Phil Shocking The Trend Year. That really takes a cakes Doctor Phil but I have never heard-

of it in my life. See you on Thursday Janurary 03rd, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------

December 29, 2007, 11:25 am CST

Teens Are Not Immortal

Yers, teens think they can do anything "for fun" and not get hurt. They do not seem to have the remotest possibility or idea of death at their age. Tragically, that's what a friend of mine thought in high school. He was riding in the back of a truck, playing around with the other guys and accidentally fell to the ground. He awoke from the short loss of consciousness only to make it to his home then collapsed on the floor DEAD. Nobody knows what  'esactly happened but the result was the same...numerous family, friends and the whole school in total shock that he died at just 15. Do these kids really know what they leave behind? Years of grief for the loved ones.  Agony. Questions as to "why",? Hindsight is 20/20 as they say but those who die or are  severely maimed do not have the luxury of being able to use this option to go back and correct this.

How about a mandatory trip to a morgue  with a follow up to a funeral home to see up close and personal what they face. It's called """reality"""! I would approve of this before any got licenses to drive or reached high school as a required 'wake up call. It could save lives! Thanks for letting me share. I experienced this 33 years ago and it is still so clear, how distraught the family was and how empty such a useless death could have been prevented.                       Sincerely, Cynthia Laughlin

December 29, 2007, 11:52 am CST

LOOKS LIKE FUTURE TROUBLE!

IT SEEMS DR. PHIL THESE TEENAGE BOYS ARE TRYING THEIR TEEN BRAVERY, THE WORLD IS ONLY HOPING THE PARENTS WILL KEY ON THIS BEFORE FUTURE TROUBLE GOES IN EFFECT!

IT WOULD BE MORE POSITIVE FOR THE PARENTS TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN THEIR DAILY LIVES. IN GOD WE TRUST. LATER DR.PHIL.

December 29, 2007, 3:10 pm CST

Hold on!

Hold on, and Let me tell ya's how this ride "might" work...40yrs Later!

I first ran away from home at age 13, to put this in perspective I am almost 41 now~

MY FAMILY, well.  Nobody identified that I had a mental Illness called "Borderline Personality Disorder"...WHY?  Because ..."us" BPD sufferers, LOOK, AND SEEM NORMAL...what is going on inside us with regards to our "FEELINGS" is far from "NORMAL"...BE VERY CAREFUL WITH YOUR"troubled kids" MIGHT...be more going on than you realize!

December 29, 2007, 3:16 pm CST

Hold on!

Have another look at your children!

There can be more to it!  Myself...I indulged in "negative and bad behaviours" ...from a very young age!

Have them checked out!  I ran from home and started "ACTING OUT" at age 13...they didn't diagnose me correctly...to put this in perspective, I am now almost 41yrs old.  I was only recently diagnosed with BPD(Borderline Personality Disorder) and NOW looking back, it was my mental Illness that caused my "ways"...So check on these kids!

December 30, 2007, 5:43 am CST

Cars- Lethal weapons

Ten and half weeks ago my 17 yo daughter allegedly stepped out of vehicle travelling at 40mph. I say allegedly as the only witness was the 16 yo driver of her car, her ex boyfriend. They had been arguing apparently. The police are stil investigating as they are not convinced by his explanation. They say there are too many unanswered questions. My daughter had horrific head injuries and after 2 weeks in a coma astounded medical staff by coming around and talking. She has made a miraculous recovery so far and has now been discharged home to continue with her rehab, whilst awaiting further surgery to replace a portion of her skull which was removed to relieve pressure in her brain. She will have some degree of permanent brain damage all in the frontal lobe. Thankfully not to great we have been told. She will eventually make very good recovery.Particularly if she continues with her counselling and rehabilitation and doesnt go back to this boy who lives on the "edge" and his similar friends.

The police told us of "roof surfing", where kids lie on the roof of a car whilst it's driving at speed. Our daughter said she has never done this however we dont know as she has no memeory of the accident. She has memory deficits and will probably never recover these. Her short term memory is also affected.

We are a normal family with 4 children. My husband and I are both professionals and our children attend good schools. We have put every effort into raising our children to have respect and love for themselves and others. We have set in place boudaries and consequences. We have given them time and attention.

So what happened? Was it a temporary lapse of judgement? Was it an accident? We wil probably never know, the ex boyfriend is only interrested in making himself look good.

Meanwhile every day we pray our daughter will continue to grow stronger both physically, mentally and emotionally.

December 31, 2007, 9:38 am CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Another dangerous trend among young people is trunking. When there are one or two more passengers than seat-belts, the "extras" ride in the closed trunk. But, even when the driver is being careful, accidents can happen. In a rear-end collision, those in the trunk can get seriously injured, if not killed. I've even heard of the trunk popping open, the passenger being ejected, and run over by a passing motorist.

December 31, 2007, 3:52 pm CST

Dangerous Trends

Girls are engaging in dangerous trends, as well.  Teenagers have not changed over the years they live for today without any fear or regard for tomorrow.  I have 3 beautiful daughters and they are not perfect and not criminals.  They usually get straight "A" report cards and attend school regularly.  However, they also occasionally sneak out of the house to meet up with other kids from school at the park.  This is very dangerous and we have set our alarm not to keep burglars out, but our daughters in.  I really do not know the big attraction to sitting in the park at midnight during the week, but some kids walk completely across town to meet up with my daughters.  Then on day 2 of high school one young man convinced my daughter and her group of friends that due to the clothing and kind of music they listen they must be EMO.  He also convinced them they must cut themselves.  We ended up in ER for 6 hours when he demonstrated on my daughters arm.  This phase has passed as quickly as it started for a new one "RAVE."  My daughters are good kids, but they are kids and want to be doing what all the other kids are doing.  This is a big problem and I am so behind the times that I do not understand this new wave of dangerous trill seeking.  I take parent classes and my daughter to counseling, but this has not helped to a large extent.  I am now a little more informed, but have no answers.

December 31, 2007, 10:24 pm CST

I didn't have all the answers either.(Still don't)

Quote From: cmurray936

Girls are engaging in dangerous trends, as well.  Teenagers have not changed over the years they live for today without any fear or regard for tomorrow.  I have 3 beautiful daughters and they are not perfect and not criminals.  They usually get straight "A" report cards and attend school regularly.  However, they also occasionally sneak out of the house to meet up with other kids from school at the park.  This is very dangerous and we have set our alarm not to keep burglars out, but our daughters in.  I really do not know the big attraction to sitting in the park at midnight during the week, but some kids walk completely across town to meet up with my daughters.  Then on day 2 of high school one young man convinced my daughter and her group of friends that due to the clothing and kind of music they listen they must be EMO.  He also convinced them they must cut themselves.  We ended up in ER for 6 hours when he demonstrated on my daughters arm.  This phase has passed as quickly as it started for a new one "RAVE."  My daughters are good kids, but they are kids and want to be doing what all the other kids are doing.  This is a big problem and I am so behind the times that I do not understand this new wave of dangerous trill seeking.  I take parent classes and my daughter to counseling, but this has not helped to a large extent.  I am now a little more informed, but have no answers.

It's tough raising kids period.(Even with all the joys that come with it.) When they become teenagers it's a whole new ballgame. We managed to get ours through pretty much unscathed. I so agree with what you said about teenagers living for today without any fear or regard for tomorrow. And you know, sometimes that's not such a bad thing. Sometimes as a 53 year old , I wish I could stop worrying so much, you know what I mean? But, with the kids on the show, as with your daughters, it can get pretty dangerous and sometimes life threatening. I guess the only thing to do is hang in there and do the best we can and take it a day at a time. Be involved, be pro-active. Don't give up on them.

I've read about how young people back in the day used to swallow goldfish.(Maybe in the 30's?) I guess that seemed pretty risque back then. Pretty tame compared to nowadays,huh?

Hang in there.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last