Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 5, 2008, 9:36 am CST

Great Kid

Quote From: fromthesquare

Your son sounds like a great kid.  I can see that you are proud of his accomplishments.  It would be a real loss to your family and society to lose a precious person like your son for the sake of an adrenaline rush.

Yes, he is a great kid and so are all the other boys on the show. It is hard raising boys when they like to do crazy things. We have four sons and they all have done crazy things at one time or another i.e.; like jumping off high cliffs into water, riding go-karts, jumping their bikes off of ramps, sledding in the snow etc. Most of the time, over the years, they have asked us before they do these things and we help them make the decision based on what type of a calculated risk it is. If it was always up to just me, I think I would say no just about every time, but my husband sees things from a man's point of view and I am glad because my son's probably would have turned out to be scared little weaklings if it were not for him.

We also do "acceptable" things that are adrenaline rushes like water-ski and river rafting. Everything has some kind of risk to it. My oldest son is 23 and the youngest 14 and we have only gone to the ER six times. We went to the ER  with a broken arm from riding a bike on a flat road in the neighborhood, four sets of stitches from one hitting his head on the fireplace when he was 2, running through the garage and tripping and hitting his mouth on a stool, by standing on a baseball bat that was on the ground and it rolled and caused him to fall and hit his chin and the last time was one boy cut his finger while opening a can of soup! The 6th and final time we went to the ER was last summer when one of them  jumped into a creek from a dock and hit his foot on a rock and we thought he broke his foot, but it was not broken. That is it! We are not a wild and crazy family. All of these accidents were from doing normal activities.

We do not want any of our sons to get hurt ever. Everything they do has a risk. One of my biggest fears is them out there driving with all the crazy drivers and road rage. My oldest son was recently on the local news because he was driving down the freeway when a 2X4 was kicked up by a semi-truck in front of him and it flew right into my son's windshield and was embedded there and it shattered all the glass!  I pray over them constantly and we believe in the power of prayer!

My son mattress surfed one day and we told him we do not want him to do it anymore. I doubt any of the boys will because they have no field to do it in anymore anyway. Their biggest rush was being with their friends and actually figuring out how to engineer the whole thing. I do believe they were pretty safe out there, but there is a chance that something could go wrong and because a car is involved it could be seriously wrong.  I was very proud of all them for wearing helmets and using a spotter, and they made those safe choices without any parent being there.

Thank you for your concern, and I agree, it would be a real loss to any family or community to lose any child from any type of tragedy, especially a crazy alternative sport.

January 5, 2008, 10:11 am CST

?

I didn't even know diabulimia existed.

January 5, 2008, 4:30 pm CST

I Can't Say ANYTHING!!

Quote From: graysmom

Yes, he is a great kid and so are all the other boys on the show. It is hard raising boys when they like to do crazy things. We have four sons and they all have done crazy things at one time or another i.e.; like jumping off high cliffs into water, riding go-karts, jumping their bikes off of ramps, sledding in the snow etc. Most of the time, over the years, they have asked us before they do these things and we help them make the decision based on what type of a calculated risk it is. If it was always up to just me, I think I would say no just about every time, but my husband sees things from a man's point of view and I am glad because my son's probably would have turned out to be scared little weaklings if it were not for him.

We also do "acceptable" things that are adrenaline rushes like water-ski and river rafting. Everything has some kind of risk to it. My oldest son is 23 and the youngest 14 and we have only gone to the ER six times. We went to the ER  with a broken arm from riding a bike on a flat road in the neighborhood, four sets of stitches from one hitting his head on the fireplace when he was 2, running through the garage and tripping and hitting his mouth on a stool, by standing on a baseball bat that was on the ground and it rolled and caused him to fall and hit his chin and the last time was one boy cut his finger while opening a can of soup! The 6th and final time we went to the ER was last summer when one of them  jumped into a creek from a dock and hit his foot on a rock and we thought he broke his foot, but it was not broken. That is it! We are not a wild and crazy family. All of these accidents were from doing normal activities.

We do not want any of our sons to get hurt ever. Everything they do has a risk. One of my biggest fears is them out there driving with all the crazy drivers and road rage. My oldest son was recently on the local news because he was driving down the freeway when a 2X4 was kicked up by a semi-truck in front of him and it flew right into my son's windshield and was embedded there and it shattered all the glass!  I pray over them constantly and we believe in the power of prayer!

My son mattress surfed one day and we told him we do not want him to do it anymore. I doubt any of the boys will because they have no field to do it in anymore anyway. Their biggest rush was being with their friends and actually figuring out how to engineer the whole thing. I do believe they were pretty safe out there, but there is a chance that something could go wrong and because a car is involved it could be seriously wrong.  I was very proud of all them for wearing helmets and using a spotter, and they made those safe choices without any parent being there.

Thank you for your concern, and I agree, it would be a real loss to any family or community to lose any child from any type of tragedy, especially a crazy alternative sport.

You are not going to believe this- My 15 year old son broke his wrist snowboarding today!  I got the call shortly after writing the above message.  It was his first outing of the season with his ski club.  He did a 360 off a ski ramp.  Believe me-  I know how these boys are.

He is so proud of his break.  He says, "I landed it mom!!  Then I lost my balance."   Even though he "landed it"  his wrist is still in a cast right now.

Best of Luck to you and yours.  I know that me and mine need it!  LOL!

January 5, 2008, 5:19 pm CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Quote From: l8bloomer

The Diabetic 16 year-old who refuses to take her insulin BROKE MY HEART.  I've read a few posts where people are wondering where the Mother is, but I felt the Mother was doing everything in her power to help her daughter.  Taking her to therapy didn't help, outpatient rehab didn't help and the only other option left for her was to SELL HER HOUSE to pay the lofty $40k fee for inpatient help  (segue - doesn't Dr. Phil usually help with this kind of stuff?  Why didn't he offer any "resources" for these girls?).  I thought it was callous, the way Dr. Phil told the Mother to do "whatever it took" and there were "no guarantees" her daughter would get better.  What kind of cockamamie advice was THAT?!  So she is supposed to lose her house and everything else JUST IN CASE her daughter chooses to get better?  Was he NOT sitting on the same stage?  The daughter has ZERO hope, ZERO motivation to get better and ZERO effort would be made on her part no matter WHERE she goes.  She needs help emotionally and mentally before she's going to be able to tackle this one and if she can't help herself - her Mother has NO SHOT.
Dr. Phil did state that he was going to help them get all the research that he can to help these women out.  Unfortunatly it is going to be up to them to make this right for themselves.  I am a type 1 diabetic and have been one for 20 years now, since I was a child.  I have gone through the teenage years with this disease and I never once thought of doing this to myself, especially knowing the outcome.  Any diabetic knows not taking your insulin will make you so sick and will make you lose weight.  It's just not worth it.  I would rather stay a little overweight which I am and continue to live a life raising my two children. That should be an easy decision for anyone.  I don't even understand how these two females live day to day feeling the way a diabetic feels with high blood sugar levels.  I know once my blood sugar hits 300, I start vomiting, am light headed, cranky, dehydrated, and have no energy at all not to mention having to urinate every 15 minutes, blurry vision, and kidney pain.   I don't understand how a mother can even do this to her children because I know that there is no way possible that she even has energy to keep up with them feeling the way you feel with high blood sugar. It's crazy to think that a diabetic risk their life to have a child and then are so willing to take their life away from these children to be skinny.  Crazy huh?  I feel very bad for the both of them and watching the show I just wish that there was something I can do to help.  But as I stated before they have to fix them for themselves.  I hope it all works out for both of them,  and always know to be skinny is not worth your life...... Life is to precioius and already too short.   Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

January 5, 2008, 6:06 pm CST

That's too bad

Quote From: fromthesquare

You are not going to believe this- My 15 year old son broke his wrist snowboarding today!  I got the call shortly after writing the above message.  It was his first outing of the season with his ski club.  He did a 360 off a ski ramp.  Believe me-  I know how these boys are.

He is so proud of his break.  He says, "I landed it mom!!  Then I lost my balance."   Even though he "landed it"  his wrist is still in a cast right now.

Best of Luck to you and yours.  I know that me and mine need it!  LOL!

I am so sorry. Thankfully it was not worse. Thank you for sharing your story too! You sound like a very nice person and a concerned mom.

Take care.

January 5, 2008, 9:33 pm CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Quote From: twalsh341

As can be seen in many things there are right, and wrong ways to do things. I two guys shown on todays show self-branding were doing it wrong.

I have very clear reasons for my choice, and well aware of the risks (which were researched for weeks).

I am a pagan, more accurately a Solitary Nordic Wiccan. Now as I became more serious about my spirituality, and knowing the misconceptions and outlook of some who would call us "goth" or "satanists" and "heathens". I made a choice to indelibly mark my hand with three dots which represent the Goddess.

The act of branding was the real goal, I endured pain to show my strength and devotion to my beliefs. The mark left is a reminder of my devotion, and to show other how strongly I feel.

Done out of boredom or to show up another is dumb, however some do it for other reasons, none of which are to be mocked or ridiculed.

As a solitary Celtic Wiccan, I agree with you completely.  I have a Celtic pent tattoo for the same reason.  Blessed be!

January 6, 2008, 12:19 am CST

diabulemics

Quote From: smjohnson

Dr. Phil did state that he was going to help them get all the research that he can to help these women out.  Unfortunatly it is going to be up to them to make this right for themselves.  I am a type 1 diabetic and have been one for 20 years now, since I was a child.  I have gone through the teenage years with this disease and I never once thought of doing this to myself, especially knowing the outcome.  Any diabetic knows not taking your insulin will make you so sick and will make you lose weight.  It's just not worth it.  I would rather stay a little overweight which I am and continue to live a life raising my two children. That should be an easy decision for anyone.  I don't even understand how these two females live day to day feeling the way a diabetic feels with high blood sugar levels.  I know once my blood sugar hits 300, I start vomiting, am light headed, cranky, dehydrated, and have no energy at all not to mention having to urinate every 15 minutes, blurry vision, and kidney pain.   I don't understand how a mother can even do this to her children because I know that there is no way possible that she even has energy to keep up with them feeling the way you feel with high blood sugar. It's crazy to think that a diabetic risk their life to have a child and then are so willing to take their life away from these children to be skinny.  Crazy huh?  I feel very bad for the both of them and watching the show I just wish that there was something I can do to help.  But as I stated before they have to fix them for themselves.  I hope it all works out for both of them,  and always know to be skinny is not worth your life...... Life is to precioius and already too short.   Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
i think the first person who criticized dr. phil didn't wait for a commercial.  he said he would do all he could to research for help for these young women.  and i don't think he was calloused.  you can not change a self destrucitve pattern unless you want to.  regardless of any thing the mother does.  i was a cutter.  i enjoyed doing it- i had control....that was after i had anorexia.  i was put in the hospital for the anorexia so i changed one bad behavior for one that is not so readily seen.  i have been in therapy for years and it wasn't   until i formed a bond with my last therapist after 14 years.  2 years ago she said that we had vested all this time for me  that if i did cut it was like cutting her.  hey if it takes guilt use it!!!!  she was right.  many nights i called her crying and upset and she had to talk me down.  to go against eveything we worked  for  would be like spitting in her face.  if i couldn't do it formyself i could do it for her.   so after the pattern was broke and we substituted it for a healthy habit i am real proud of what we have accomplished.  sometimes i still feel the urge but swallow it down and turn to my  new coping skills

January 6, 2008, 12:29 am CST

ketoacidosis- slow suicide

Quote From: classybecca

I didn't even know diabulimia existed.

as a nurse  i feel if someone can turn the teenager around she might have a fighting chance- the older you get with high glucose levels you  destroy your organs, circulation, kidneys, eyesight .  the young woman may have done too  much damage already and she really wants the help.  the teenager looked like britney spears caught  in some act.  just thought it was damn cute.  see how she feels when she is hooked to a dialysis machine much of the day and 3 x a week or she can't to to drive.  they are throwing there body into a state of destruction.  the atkins diet does this as all you eat is meat- and then you have to buy ketosticks to make sure you are not into problems with your kidneys, that is also why they tell you to drink as much water as you can on this diet- it can also destroy the kidneys by ketones.    i didn't know it existed either but it shows how intelligent our kids are today and also how stupid without guidance. 

January 6, 2008, 2:13 am CST

Diabulimia

I'll be 27 soon. I suppose I've had this 'diabulima' for years now. I was hospitalized numerous times, even sent to the state mental hospital because I refused to care for my diabetes. Nothing has changed. The obsession is always there.  There is no one out there to help with this. Insurance couldn't give a crap and family gives up. Doctors write you off as stubborn and stupid. My last straw was when my Endocronologist threw my medical file in my face. I also have been diagnosed with severe rheumatoid arthritis. My Orthopedic surgeon believed that my extremely high blood sugar levels sped up the process of my hip bones deteriorating. I've had both sides replaced, two total hip replacements. That was about 4 years ago. Why don't I stop? Couldn't tell you. All for the stupid reason of not getting fatter than what I already am. I'm sorry to every diabetic out there that has to deal with this. If you are thinking of trying this, don't. No one that is doing this diabulimia crap can convey the amount of physical suffering and mental torture it brings with it.

January 6, 2008, 9:36 am CST

Mattress Surfing and you!

I sincerely hope Dr. Phil reads this post...

Has Dr. Phil ever surfed in the ocean, say on the coast of TX growing up? Allowed his son to go fishing using sharp hooks, or to play basketball or football, sports where injuries occur very frequently?

I think what these kids are doing is no more dangerous than any of these things. Skateboarding, Bicycling, Skiing are all just as dangerous. The ONLY thing I would recommend for these kids and thier mattress surfing is to wear some Motocross safety gear... Torso protection, long sleeves, gloves, etc.

Other than that, you kids should go for it. You have made this "sport" as safe as you can without wearing more protective gear. And for the design of your mattress sled,  make sure your rig has a curved nose, like a sled, to help reduce the chance of endovers.

Good luck and have fun!!!

First | Prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | Next | Last