Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 6, 2008, 3:33 pm CST

Diabulimia

I seriously don't want to pass judgment because I don't walk in the shoes of either the mother or teenage girl that was on the show.  I do have to ask though why the mother is allowing this child to kill herself.  It the child was suicidal through other means than I feel certain the mother would do whatever it takes to prevent the act from occurring.  Therefore, can someone please help me understand why this woman doesn't control the child's insulin shots herself?  We have a parent and we have a child, yes a child.  It seems to me that since the child can't make responsible decisions, than the medical condition needs to be controlled by the parents.   How hard would it be to administer the shots to the girl? 

There are millions of diabetics walking around that control their diet, take their insulin and who aren't overweight.   

Dr. Phil said early on that he wanted to bring common sense back this year - immediate intervention seems to be of common sense here - control the freakin' shots yourself parents.  On-going intervention comes after you get the girl stabilized. 

On another note, I cannot imagine what it must be like to be the parent of a child that openly admits they would rather be dead than be fat.  That kind of thinking is directly in line with her youth; lack of experience, knowledge and maturity.  She (the child) needs to imagine her parents standing over her grave; better yet, let the child help plan her own funeral - that might be a shocking enough experience to draw some reality into this young girl's mind. 

January 6, 2008, 4:07 pm CST

Must not be a regular viewer

Quote From: fromthesquare

When Dr. Phil acted as if the mother was wrong to want to keep her home I was a bit shocked too.  For a family to pay rent somewhere costs as much as some mortgages- especially if they bought before the housing market soared.  What is this woman supposed to tell the rest of her family?  Wouldn't that add to the guilt and bad feelings that Kaytee already has?  Keep the house mom.  Kaytee needs a roof over her head too!!

We all know that Dr. Phil will provide the treatments available to this young girl, once they research the treatments and find out what can be offered - he said he would do it, so he will.  With that said, quite frankly, I am appalled at your comments about Dr. Phil and it "being easy for him to say" because of his financial standing, ie., not having to worry about money.  You clearly cannot be a regular follower of this show or you would know that Dr. Phil comes from a very humble background and he went through periods of sacrifices and having nothing himself.  He beat the odds of coming from a dysfunctional background to become who he is today - and he has dedicated his life to helping folks and so what if he got rich doing it - it isn't like he stepped on people or hurt others to get where he is - and if you would read Robin's book you would know that Dr.Phil, before he was "Dr. Phil" made incredible sacrifices to get where he is - so I think to make comments about his fame and fortune as if he wouldn't know what sacrifice is seems unfair and ridiculous.  I bet if someone were to say to Dr. Phil that in order to save your family from whatever, it would cost him his fame and fortune, his house, everything, without hesitation he would give everything up for the sake of saving his family. 

People like Dr. Phil need to be applauded more than riduiculed.  If it wasn't for him, a lot more people would be in worst circumstances than they are.  He and others like Oprah use their celebrity to make a difference - and thank God that they do - if only more would follow.

Yes, the child needs a roof over her head - but in the end it won't matter if she is dead.  She'll be six feet under with dirt over her head.  I'm certain at that point the parents if given a choice to give up their home or have their daughter alive, they would give up their home.  Dr. Phil's point wasn't to run out and sell the house, rather it was more about, "do whatever it takes, and do it "until".   

January 6, 2008, 5:22 pm CST

I Agree With This But...

Quote From: faithegood

We all know that Dr. Phil will provide the treatments available to this young girl, once they research the treatments and find out what can be offered - he said he would do it, so he will.  With that said, quite frankly, I am appalled at your comments about Dr. Phil and it "being easy for him to say" because of his financial standing, ie., not having to worry about money.  You clearly cannot be a regular follower of this show or you would know that Dr. Phil comes from a very humble background and he went through periods of sacrifices and having nothing himself.  He beat the odds of coming from a dysfunctional background to become who he is today - and he has dedicated his life to helping folks and so what if he got rich doing it - it isn't like he stepped on people or hurt others to get where he is - and if you would read Robin's book you would know that Dr.Phil, before he was "Dr. Phil" made incredible sacrifices to get where he is - so I think to make comments about his fame and fortune as if he wouldn't know what sacrifice is seems unfair and ridiculous.  I bet if someone were to say to Dr. Phil that in order to save your family from whatever, it would cost him his fame and fortune, his house, everything, without hesitation he would give everything up for the sake of saving his family. 

People like Dr. Phil need to be applauded more than riduiculed.  If it wasn't for him, a lot more people would be in worst circumstances than they are.  He and others like Oprah use their celebrity to make a difference - and thank God that they do - if only more would follow.

Yes, the child needs a roof over her head - but in the end it won't matter if she is dead.  She'll be six feet under with dirt over her head.  I'm certain at that point the parents if given a choice to give up their home or have their daughter alive, they would give up their home.  Dr. Phil's point wasn't to run out and sell the house, rather it was more about, "do whatever it takes, and do it "until".   

I agree with all of this but I would add that bringing your child on international television to get her help is "doing whatever it takes."  My point was that the family is still going to have to pay rent somewhere.  Selling your house is great but moving is expensive, rent is expensive. 

I hope Dr. Phil does help this girl.  That is the only reason that I could think of that this mother would go on the show.  Not for financial advice.

January 6, 2008, 5:46 pm CST

diabulimia

My sister has had type 1 diabetes since age 5. She is in her late 20's now and has lost a significant amount of weight lately. We have been having problems with her for years with rudeness, narcisism, temper tantrums (even in her late 20's), and various other personality/social behaviors. Are complete irrationability, anger, rage, and temper tantrums associated with diabulimia at all? She's had a couple of surgeries that she mentioned occured last summer but when we asked about them were told it was "none of our damn business". Since she is an adult and we dont have access to her medical records is there anything we can do to get her medical attention or medically "committed"?

January 6, 2008, 6:14 pm CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Quote From: fromthesquare

I agree with all of this but I would add that bringing your child on international television to get her help is "doing whatever it takes."  My point was that the family is still going to have to pay rent somewhere.  Selling your house is great but moving is expensive, rent is expensive. 

I hope Dr. Phil does help this girl.  That is the only reason that I could think of that this mother would go on the show.  Not for financial advice.

I couldn't agree with you more.  This girl's life is definitely on the line, but SHE is the one who needs to realize that.  I don't think selling the house to get her treatment would be a smart move.  I think they should keep trying therapy (maybe switch therapists?  I would try and find someone who specialized in addiction) and hope and pray that Kaytee comes to her senses soon and finds something worth living for other than a size 2 jean.

January 6, 2008, 6:27 pm CST

Diabulimia aka slow suicide

As with other eating disorders, its not just about being skinny.  The whole point of  doing such destructive behaviors is because you just don't care.  Dying is a perk when you're caught up in this. So when people throw things in your face like dialyses, amputation, or people telling you that your parents will have to look over your dead body....well, it doesn't sound all that bad. As sick as this sounds, all those comments only make me want to do the destructive behavior more, to speed things along. To answer another question someone asked me in an email, I don't know how NOT to think about  being fat.

January 7, 2008, 4:32 am CST

I can relate to what you're saying.

Quote From: kerahless

I'll be 27 soon. I suppose I've had this 'diabulima' for years now. I was hospitalized numerous times, even sent to the state mental hospital because I refused to care for my diabetes. Nothing has changed. The obsession is always there.  There is no one out there to help with this. Insurance couldn't give a crap and family gives up. Doctors write you off as stubborn and stupid. My last straw was when my Endocronologist threw my medical file in my face. I also have been diagnosed with severe rheumatoid arthritis. My Orthopedic surgeon believed that my extremely high blood sugar levels sped up the process of my hip bones deteriorating. I've had both sides replaced, two total hip replacements. That was about 4 years ago. Why don't I stop? Couldn't tell you. All for the stupid reason of not getting fatter than what I already am. I'm sorry to every diabetic out there that has to deal with this. If you are thinking of trying this, don't. No one that is doing this diabulimia crap can convey the amount of physical suffering and mental torture it brings with it.
I have a brother-in-law who has been having seizures for around 10 years. Just last Thursday and Friday he had 2 bad ones. Then on Sat. the doctors think he had a mini-stroke. His problem is that he is an alchoholic. He was a drinker before he started having seizures. Of course he has been told "no alchohol" from the very beginning. He has continued to drink and continued to have seizures. There's no way to know if not drinking would make a difference because he has never stopped. He has lied to the doctors from the beginning, telling them he doesn't drink. One group of doctors has already dropped him because they figured out that he DOES drink. He lies to the ones he currently sees. I'm sure some of them must know differently. There are bound to be emergency situations where he shows up at the ER with alchohol in his blood. There is no talking to him about this because all it does is make him angry. Unless he does something criminal there is no way to force him to get treatment. From the beginning he has had all kinds of tests done to try and find out why he has seizures. They have never found any concrete reason.

January 7, 2008, 11:05 am CST

Been there done that

Quote From: housewife52

I have a brother-in-law who has been having seizures for around 10 years. Just last Thursday and Friday he had 2 bad ones. Then on Sat. the doctors think he had a mini-stroke. His problem is that he is an alchoholic. He was a drinker before he started having seizures. Of course he has been told "no alchohol" from the very beginning. He has continued to drink and continued to have seizures. There's no way to know if not drinking would make a difference because he has never stopped. He has lied to the doctors from the beginning, telling them he doesn't drink. One group of doctors has already dropped him because they figured out that he DOES drink. He lies to the ones he currently sees. I'm sure some of them must know differently. There are bound to be emergency situations where he shows up at the ER with alchohol in his blood. There is no talking to him about this because all it does is make him angry. Unless he does something criminal there is no way to force him to get treatment. From the beginning he has had all kinds of tests done to try and find out why he has seizures. They have never found any concrete reason.

I hope this helps because I was there.  I am not a doctor nor do I want to claim myself as one but I think I can help.  I have been a diabetic survivor for 53 years and I have been through hell early in my life.  I am doing better now and have stayed out of the hospital for 30 years.  If you want my help my email is souad4@aol.com.  I can only tell you what has helped me and yelling a a diabetic is not the answer.  Its going to be tough but in the long run you will have the ability to live with the disease and be thin.  It all has the balance you need but I haven't got enough space to explain all that I want to..  I hope I can help.

Eileen

January 7, 2008, 1:15 pm CST

Really Shocking

What are these teenagers thinking!  I can't believe that they just smile about what they do and they are bored.  Like Dr. Phil said "READ A BOOK".  Or get a job or do volunteer themselves...Maybe help others not to do these trends.  I have 2 young children growing up in this society where people think they are invisible to everyday situations.  I don't know where they come up with these trends.  Maybe teenagers need to write a handbook to teach us parents a little about life....since we don't get one when our children our born.  If my children were putting themselves in danger I would surely inform them, something visible, what the outcome could be. 

January 8, 2008, 8:08 am CST

Diabulimia

Since the girls with diabulimia are convinced that they are going to die from this they should be made to plan their own funerals so their families won't have to.  It could be a wake up call for them.

Have a doctor tell them what it will be like as their organs fail, then have the girls pick out the casket, what they will be buried in, write the obituary and pick out the burial plot.   

Their families shouldn't have to do all of this for them.

First | Prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | Next | Last