Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 21, 2008, 8:51 am CST

I needed to write this as a diabetic

I was diagnosed when I was 14 with diabetes.  I had a rapid weight loss the summer prior with more than 30 punds in one month. i did not find about the diabetes for over 8 months after that.I did not understand diabetes, but I tried what is known as diabulimia a year later while I was in college. I was skinny but I was so miserable with constantly being tired all the time. I lost out on a lot of things by doing this.  My grades slipped rapidly. Kaytee needs to be comfortable with being who she is and being a diabetic.  It is only a death sentence if you let it.  You are not the diabetes,but being diabetic is a part of you. Do not let it rule your life.  There are not enough people who are taking insulin shots who will come out in the open and be proud of what they are.  I educate someone everyday to my condition, because a lot of people I speak to know someone who is a type 2 diabetic and not a type 1. I am 40 years old now and I have an insulin pump.  I tell my employers that I am a diabetic so they know to tell someone if I am unable to. i test my sugars because I have to. My family doesn't like needles after all this time, but if they want me to live then they need to get used to it after 27 years of dealing with it. It is my life to deal with not theirs, and if Kaytee  needs someone, I  am here.

Candace

January 21, 2008, 3:50 pm CST

wow

Can't believe teens are that crazy to put there life in danger!!  They need Jesus! Praying for them

March 3, 2008, 9:28 pm CST

DIABULIMIA IS REAL

KAYTEES STORY BOUGHT BACK SO MANY MEMORIES. I'M FROM AUSTRALIA SO I HAVE ONLY JUST SEEN THE SHOW WHERE KAYTEE WAS A GUEST, BUT IT REMINDED ME OF MY TEEN YEARS.  HAVING STRUGGLED WITH DIABETES FOR 23 YEARS, IT HAS JUST BEEN IN THE PAST 7 YEARS THAT I HAVE REALISED THAT YES ALL THOSE COMPLICATIONS THAT THEY TALK ABOUT CAN HAPPEN TO ME. I WAS DIAGNOSED AT 11 AND THEN AT AGE 16 AFTER BATTLING WITH WEIGHT GAIN FOR 5 YEARS I DISCOVERED, WHILE A PATIENT IN HOSPITAL AFTER A EPISODE OF DKA ON A SPECIAL KIDS DIABETIC WARD, THAT I COULD CONTROL MY WEIGHT BY REDUCING OR OMITTING MY INSULIN DOSE. WOW WAS THAT THE START OF A DOWNWARD SPIRAL.  OVER THE PERIOD OF 3 YEARS MY WEIGHT DROPPED DRAMATICALLY, BUT LITTLE DID I REALISE THE DAMAGE I WAS DOING TO MY BODY. I NEVER HAD MUCH FAMILY SUPPORT WHEN IT CAME TO MY DIABETES, BUT SUPPORT FINALLY CAME WHEN AT 19 I MET MY NOW FIANCE WHO MADE ME REALISE THAT THERE WAS A LOT TO LIVE FOR & I DIDN'T NEED TO BE A STICK FIGURE TO DO IT. TODAY I AM HAPPY TO SAY THAT MY WEIGHT IS ONE OF MY LAST WORRIES.IAM FINALLY HAPPY WITH TEH SIZE OF MY BODY. MY BLOOD SUGARS ARE IN REASONABLE CONTROL. I DO HAVE SOME COMPLICATIONS. DURING MY FIRST PREGNANCY I BATTLES WITH A SERIOUS FOOT ULCER AND INFECTION, WHICH ALMOST LED TO THE AMPUTATION OF MY LEFT LEG. MY KIDNEYS AREN'T IN THE BEST FORM, BUT IF I KEEP ON THE PATH THAT I AM ON NOW THE DOCTORS THINK THEY WILL IMPROVE. I HAVE AN EXTREMELY HEALTHY 5 YEAR OLD BOY WHO I WORSHIP AND AM CURRENTLY PREGNANT WITH MY SECOND CHILD.  OVERALL MY KIDS ARE WHAT HAS MADE ME REALISE I HAVE TO LOOK AFTER MYSELF. THEY NEED THEIR MUM AND I NEED THEM.  I WOULD LOVE A CHANCE TO LET KAYTEE KNOW THAT SHE IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND THAT THERE ARE ALOT OF DIABETICS OUT THERE THAT ARE GOING THROUGH SIMILAR THINGS THAT SHE IS & THAT THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL. THE PROFESSIONALS SAY THAT DIABETES CAN AFFECT THE WHOLE BODY, BUT FROM EXPERIENCE IT ALSO AFFECTS THE MIND ASWELL. BE STRONG KAYTEE, IT WILL GET BETTER. TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE THE JOURNEY WITH DIABETES IS A LONG ONE, WITH LOTS OF SPEED HUMPS AND POT HOLES ALONG THAT ROAD. BUT THE JOURNEY ALONG THE WAY CAN LEAD YOU TO SOME OF THE MOST UNEXPECTED AND LIFE CHANGING PLACES.

April 1, 2008, 3:56 pm CDT

Idea to help with

Quote From: btrflybeetle

Just because it is easy for one person, does not make it easy for the next. For these girls, it seems this is more of a control issue and an eating disorder. I have also had juvenile diabetes for over 10 years. This was a trend that I found out about through the best diabetic camp in Texas when I was 17 and I actually did this horrible trend for about a year. When I turned 18, my doctors put me on an insulin pump shortly after my rapid weight loss and then I blew up and got up to about 250 pounds...at this point, I was only taking insulin to keep me alive...I didn't take the insulin to level my sugars for what I ate. I still struggle with this and have a LOT of problems with it. I'd like to get pregnant with my husband, but that requires getting my blood sugars under control. It isn't as easy as you believe. I'm very well educated about juvenile diabetes and want to be healthy, but I remember how it felt to be 250 pounds...I remember having trouble breathing when going up the stairs and having high blood pressure. I'd do anything not to be that heavy. And the Drs have no answers. They say you do as everyone else to lose weight...that you should excercise and diet...I worked with a personal trainer for over 6 months and didn't lose a pound..even when I ate properly! With some people, it is surviving...either you control blood sugars and be morbidly obese or you keep them a little high and do what you can. The doctors don't realize that juvenile diabetics have a hard time losing wieght...the metabolism just is not the same. I presented this to my doctor...I was very upset when he got onto me a few months ago for having a hemglobin of 9.0..I tried to explain to him my fear of going above 250 pounds..when I am at 230 now. The goal is to get pregnant. If I control my sugars correctly, by the time I am pregnant, I will most likely be over 300 pounds..already being high risk, why would I do that? Doctors don't listen and what is worse, they have no idea about this diabulemia. For some, it is not just an eating disorder...there are no answers for juvenile diabetics...the professionals pretend to have answers and have nothing to help you....

Any responses are welcome...am I the only one having trouble with this issue?

I know this is kinda of old, but I came across it and had an idea for some of the people in here.

I have been body building for several years now, and have found a great nutritionist, Chuck Rudolph. You can find one of his main books @ www.scivationbooks.com. it's called GAME OVER VOL.3
The Final Showtime Cut Diet You'll Ever Need!

Now the book is designed for people wanting to get into stage condition for body building, but in the intro of the book Chuck writes that most of his ideas for creating this diet was based on diabetics, due to keeping insulin levels/ blood sugar at consistant #s. There are lower carb days, with carb loads to help prevent Ketoacidosis. They are just PDF files, so you can read them and get an idea of Chuck's thoughts.

IMO, insulin should be something you DESIRE having, because it's part of the pathway for building muscle (to look firm and thin) and staying healthy. If you are eating right and exercising insulin is not going to make you fat, it's going to help you look better. One of my main focuses during contest dieting is insulin, eating the right things to make sure I keep my insulin levels steady. Good fats, protein and meal timing is all part of it. I'm not diabetic, but a lot of people in my family are, so I try to keep my blood sugars regular. (I even have a blood sugar tester just because I am worried about the chances of getting it due to family history).

Check out that diet, dieting is hard, I know for sure! But at least you will feel good and be healthy while staying lean and fit. It will help you have that "control" you are look for in your life, but in a good way. (If you are female you don't need to worry about getting "bulky" we don't have the testosterone boys do, which contributes to them getting so large. Just lift, do cardio and have a consistant diet and you will look the way you want. Even lift lighter weight with more reps if that makes you feel better. Consistancy is the key.)

I hope this helps some.

May 10, 2008, 3:05 am CDT

E-mail for Kaytee's mom ???

Does anyone have a valid email address for Kaytee's mom (Michele) or way to contact her ???  Not sure if anyone's reading this thread anymore but i figure ill give it a try.  Id be interested in possibly helping with her situation. ill leave my email here in case someone out there knows the family or can get into contact with them.  thank you, wesley .....  wes58@hotmail.com

June 10, 2008, 1:01 pm CDT

Low carb/High fat

Quote From: chiefkeeper

I just wanted to thank you for your suppot.  You are exactly right about looking into the circus mirror, that is how she sees herself, distorted.  There are few facilities out there that deal with all aspects....diabetes, eating disorders and depression.  I am waiting to see what Dr. Phil's show comes up with.  I tried to explain on the show, but it was edited out, that I don't believe that therapist/residential facilities are ready for this because they do not understand it.   Most have never even heard of it, so how do you deal with something you know nothing about!!!
Great results on people with diabetes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet

August 30, 2008, 3:31 pm CDT

idiot

Quote From: speakingup

Diabulimia is a handy phrase, but this is not a disease, it is a choice.  Do you women know what you are doing to your families?  You are being horribly selfish.  You are destroying people around you, you are denying children a mother or a mother her child, you are using medical care that should not be necessary for you but is necessary for manhy people who would be tremendously grateful to have it and cannot get it.  So you can control your weight.  Big deal.  So you feel like this is the only thing you can control in your life.  Try doing something worthwhile instead.  You've got stress?  Who doesn't?  If you don't like living next door to your mother -- move!

Flight for life because you wouldn't take your insulin?  Someone in an accident could have died if they needed that service and it was not available because a spoiled brat wanted an "easy" way to control her weight.

Get over yourselves, take your insulin, and be grateful that you have it.  Quit whining that your insurance won't pay for coverage.  You are already costing them, and the rest of us who pay for insurance, a forutne.  Shame on you.

i was just reading the posts from this day and i just want to tell you you have no idea what kids with type one diabetes have to go through everyday.
 its not as simple as taking a shot( my daughter takes 5-7 a day) its a constant balancing act.
i would love for you to have to do the things she has to do and then tell her to stop whining.
once when she was little she said she wished for cancer, it would have been easier to go through chemo for a few months and be cured then to do this for ever.
insulin is not a cure!!!!!!!!!!!!  these kids need a cure.

First | Prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next Page | Last Page