Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 3, 2008, 2:07 pm CST

Please Diabetics...look after your health

I just finish watching Kaytee and Wanda, and I am deeply concerned and troubled by what I saw.  I have been a type on diabetic for 41 years.   I was 9 when I was diagnosed...and wow have things changed.  So if you can imagine with the leaps and bounds in treating diabetes it is astounding.  I feel a cure will be forthcoming very soon.    I can't say I was perfect either, I had my rebellious teen years, and when I finally settles down got married, and wanted to start a family, there were problems, I needed laser eye surgery and had three miscarriages and finally had a healthy baby boy who now has a son of his own...I am a proud Grandma!!    So now the benefits of taking care or myself are reaping big rewards.
I did go into a deep depression about ten years ago...I think just the day to day stresses of caring for diabetes got to me.   Now after three suicide attempts, I have come out on the other side with a different outlook on life.   So I really want to encourage Kaytee and Wanda to seek the help they need to get well, I understand though that costs are high, I am Canadian so many things are paid for here that aren't in the US.  But please do what you can to get the help you need...the rewards are well worth it.

January 3, 2008, 2:13 pm CST

Mattress Surfing

It's funny that I'm not too shocked.  I might even try it if given the chance.  I'm sure they thought the first guy to strap boards to his feet and descend a snow covered moutain was insane.  I still do.

January 3, 2008, 2:15 pm CST

Symlin and Byetta

I was shocked to here these stories of young women killing themselves to get thin when all they need to do is change meds. Where are their doctors!

If you are in this position, please google the drugs Byetta and Symlin and you'll find a medications that both control blood sugar and ALSO cause weight loss. The sooner the better. Good luck to you all!

January 3, 2008, 2:18 pm CST

Snow and Water are much softer than asphault and rocks

Quote From: brandyuflorida

Can someone please tell me how mattress surfing is ANY more dangerous than water skiing (or snow skiing for that matter)? Granted, these are kids without adult supervision, but how is hanging onto a rope behind a trunk on open land any different from holding onto a rope on water with 15 boats on a lake? Why was this never mentioned on the show? And why did Dr. Stork (aka: "The Bachelor" - love how that was left out now that Dr. Phil's son is in with his show) never mention this? Should we have all of our kids become overweight slobs playing video games in our homes in order to keep them away from 'danger'? It's pretty sad that this generation will never have the 'made up' childhood games that we had because of fear. If you are scared of your child mattress surfing, than don't let them water, nor snow, ski.  The WII is now available at Target.
nuff said . . .

January 3, 2008, 2:21 pm CST

Heartbreak for Shelly and Kaytee

Oh Shelly - i was shocked when I turned on Dr Phil today and saw you and Kaytee on the screen.  It's Tracy M. from WHS.  I'm so sorry for what you have been going through in your family - it breaks my heart and I can't imagine the pain you are suffering watching your beautiful daughter slowly killing herself.  My email address hasn't changed!  The one I have for you is wrong.  Please please email me if you want a friend to lean on!  I will be there for you and do whatever I can.  I'm so sorry for you and g and C!  You are in my prayers!

Kaytee, i pray that Dr Phil got through to you today.  He is a wonderful teacher and he can help you if you will let him.

January 3, 2008, 2:24 pm CST

Sad To See This Story

I watched your show today on the boys who were mattress surfing for fun.  This show tore my heart out and made me just want to go shake these parents and ask them to wake up.  This story hits close to home because my husband's friend is laying to rest his 14 year old step son this Friday.  He was killed this past Saturday by surfing behind a truck on a old car hood.  He was being pulled by his biological father who also thought there was nothing wrong with this past time fun.  They were doing this on 14 acres of flat land with only one tree on the whole property.  Well since there is not way to steer this hood, the young boy went into the tree and broke his neck.  No helmet would have saved his life.  I wish I could told this story to these parents on your show today.  Maybe then they would take a better look at how dangerous this sport really is.    None of these parents expected to have to bury their 14 year old son right after the holidays.    I just hope none of these families on your show have to go through this same experience in the future.  There is nothing worse than having to bury your child.

January 3, 2008, 2:25 pm CST

Lucky Mom

I am so glad that those boys are using helmets, but they are "playing with fire".  I have two boys in college and found out last year some of the antics that they had pulled while in high school.  My husband and I kept a close watch on our kids but they hid this well.  They are great boys.  Never been in trouble and get great grades.  They are respectful of adults and work hard.   Among many stunts, they have some on video where they taped my son allowing another young man to hit him with a pick up truck.  They have many, many more.  Looking back they now realize how "stupid" and "lucky" they were.  I can not imagine what I would have done if my sons had been killed or any of the other boys had been killed at their hands.  They are lucky.  I hope these boys stay the same way!  It's frightening to think.

January 3, 2008, 2:26 pm CST

no quick fix for any eating disorder

I felt sorry for the mother of the young girl with diabulimia when Dr. Phil implied that she should "roll up her sleeves and do whatever she had to do" when she was discussing the expense of residential care for her daughter after outpatient treatment didn't work.  To suggest that this woman should sell her home to pay for her care when Dr. Phil himself said that the girl had little ambition to get better is insane.  As a person who has suffered with an eating disorder for about 15 years, been through both in and outpatient treatment on more than one occasion, I can tell you that no amount of lock up is going to get this girl better if she does not want to get better.  It's easy to go on TV and say that you want to get better, but a whole different ball game to do the work.  My parents shelled out thousands of dollars for my treatment and it never did a thing....because I was not ready to be helped.  The girl is 15 and wants to be skinny, just like every other 15 year old.  She does not see the consequences of what she is doing simply because she is 15, not because she doesn't know the facts.  There is no easy answer to these situations, but putting a family into debt to fix something that will likely not be fixed (until she is ready) will only make the girl feel worse about herself and make the family more stressed

January 3, 2008, 2:26 pm CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

HI...I would like to comment on the boys that mattress surf.  There is a local boy that is paralyzed from the neck down from doing this.  He slid under his brothers truck and was run over by it.  Unfortunately, since then, he has tried to commit suicide twice, dropped out of high school and now does not leave his house.  What a shame to waste a young life.  Please don't try this.

January 3, 2008, 2:27 pm CST

Diabulics without a care?

This was extremely sad to me. Its already very hard to cope with diabetes as a teenager, but then to feel like you are "in control" by not treating it to "be thin" is an all time low to what we are teaching are children to focus on or be concerned with in this society. I was a social worker in a dialysis clinic for seven years and watched many teenagers cope with dialysis three times a week for 4-5 hours, with 15 gauge needles in their arms, arriving there due to the same attitude as these young women, losing their kidney function completely, and would give anything to have another chance. Please consider bringing these women to a dialysis clinic and have them sit with these young people for the 4-5 hours, watch the needles go in and find out first-hand from them whether its worth the weight loss. Just having them talk with these young people and watch what they go through, may "wake them up" more than years of counseling, just a thought. . . I know working there made me take better care of myself nutritionally and physically, and be grateful for my health, and the "control" I have over that.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last