Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 3, 2008, 2:28 pm CST

what is the doctors name?

What is the ER doctor's name on today's episode?

January 3, 2008, 2:33 pm CST

The medical expert on the show today??

Anyone know who he is?

January 3, 2008, 2:34 pm CST

medical expert on the show today...

Anyone know who he is?

Mattress surfing

Well I for one think these boys are normal.  I think it's good they heard the other family's story, cause it could happen.  But like the kid said, he has a spine injury from organized sports.  I equate mattress surfing to tubing - the way these boys are doing it anyway.  They are in a barren hay field and they are being smart about it.  They are being active -- probably much like medieval guys used to sport.  But I'm not an alarmist type personality -- more of a free spirit.  I would behave like their parents do -- making sure they are being responsible.  I'd be happier knowing they're flexing their senses, reactionary responses, than being bored looking to get their kicks in other ways.  Life is an adventure and risks, hopefully calculated risks, are encouraged.  This is the same thing.  Godspeed boys and I hope you remain blessed and adventurous.  Even if something happens who's to say it wouldn't have happened crossing the street by some dumbass!  I'm a 44 year old girl I guess.

Diabulemia

I am an insulin-dependent diabetic woman using an insulin pump (age 43).  I have had diabetes for 24 years, wearing a pump for 21 years.  Because of the pump, I have had 2 healthy children and am in good health with no retinopathy, neuropathy, or kidney damage.  My heart just aches for these ladies.  I understand because the same thing entered my mind when in college....stop taking insulin and lose weight.  However, in addition to the damage it does to your body, it makes you FEEL terrible.  Sleepy, inability to concentrate, nauseated, etc.  Being pretty is important to ladies, myself included, but seeing my children grow up is MORE IMPORTANT.  We can be thin and take care of ourselves at the same time.  That's what diabetic care is...living a healthy life and taking care of yourself.  Because these ladies have been through so much treatment, they know that they can be thin, eat foods they enjoy, and live a healthy life.  They really can have it all....the question is...do they have the discipline and patience to pull it off?  I am 5'5", weigh 137 lbs., and wear a size 10.  I am so sorry for these ladies...they are pretty now, but the road they are traveling is hard and, unfortunately, will cause their final weeks and days to be VERY UGLY!!  But, I guess they can wear their size 0 pants in the casket-if they have any legs left!

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Quote From: jotuck

Isnt drinking and driving more risky than riding on a mattress attached to the back of a truck? Drinking and driving cannot only kill the person driving, but other innoncent by standers. To me, drinking and driving is a bigger problem than mattress surfing. How many stories do you hear of people dying from mattress surfing? And how many stories do you hear about people dying from drinking and driving?
Not all mattress surfing is done in an empty field. It's often done on the same busy streets travelled by drunk drivers. Have you watched today's show, BTW? One of Dr Phil's guests talked about a mattress surfing fatality.

January 3, 2008, 2:35 pm CST

Matress surfing a sport

Quote From: brandyuflorida

Completely agree! I just posted one at the same time titled: Mattress Surfing vs Water Skiing"....so confused why this is such a big deal when skiing and tubing are ok...thanks for seeing this point.
I agree.  It's like any sport.  Play it responsibly and have fun!

January 3, 2008, 2:38 pm CST

Overprotective

I enjoy riding motorcycles and horses. I usually wear a helmet while riding the motorcycle but do not while riding horses. I have fallen off a horse and have slid out on a motorcycle, however, I continue to ride both. I realize that things can happen if someone is not careful about mattress surfing, however, if these kids are wearing helmets and doing it in an open field, what is the problem? People can become injured doing almost anything if not careful. As the one young man pointed out, he has injuries from organized sports. So should we tell our children not to play sports or go skiing or basically do anything other that sit inside? I don't think so. I personally have never tried mattress surfing, but as my wife and I watched we said to each other that we think it would be fun and would love to do it sometime.

January 3, 2008, 2:41 pm CST

Law Suit

Quote From: paris38

The one parent who says he helps rig the stuff up with his kid is in for a big lawsuit if anyone gets hurt they will just pull out the tape of this show in court and it's goodbye to everything t he owns.

I don't agree with promoting living in fear.  Then we stay in the house doing nothing and becoming fat and sedentary.  Live smart not fearful of a lawsuit. 

January 3, 2008, 2:41 pm CST

speaking from experience

From personal experience, what these boys are doing isn't nearly as harmless as what they could be doing, look at it this way, would you rather have your teenage son out drinking, doing drugs, having sex...and I seriously hope that your answer is NO!!  I have done similar things to what these boys are doing, and go ahead and call me stupid, but I'm still alive, and so are the many people I have done this with.  Everyday we live with risks, we wake up not knowing if we are going to make it through the day, we go to bed hoping to wake up the next morning, but if you live your life in fear of everything you come across, then you might as well go ahead and lock yourself in a padded room and never come out.  What is wrong with a having fun with your life? I know that if this were 1960, we would think nothing of it, we would laugh and say "hey, why did I not think of that myself!"  If these boys parents dont care, they have checked it out themselves, they've even watched them mattress surf, then who are we to tell these parents that they are dumb for letting there kids do this...hmm?  Are my parents dumb because they let my brother and I do the same thing, because they themselves were the driver of the truck pulling us? I sure dont think so, I think my parents raised two great young adults, we are both now out on our own, and doing great!  I hope that you all can read this and see it for what it really is, you may not want your kids doing this, and thats just fine, your life, your children, your decision!!

Happy New Year 2008 Everyone!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last