Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 3, 2008, 2:42 pm CST

teenage DIABETIC

Dr Phil

I would just love to be able to talk this child, I lost my husband 3 years back due to this ...he was a beliver that today i am diabetic and tomorrow i am not and wouldnt do what the doctors told him so he did finally lose his vision...he lost one eye all together and was legally blind in the other...then here comes the strokes and then he had a heart attack which shut his kidneys down...then he finally pasted away...i just hope to GOD that someone can knock some since into this childs mind and heart way before it is to late....she can still keep her wait under control if she does what she is suppose to do and exercises.

January 3, 2008, 2:42 pm CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

i have a daughter who is 16 and was dxd at 7 with diabetes. she also does not take her insulin,

and do blood checks like she should. her nurse tells me that this is VERY common for teenagers.

Juvinile Diabetes is so hard on every aspect of these kids lives.

its like riding a roller coaster and walking a tight rope everyday.

maybe dr phil will have a show with some education for the public on what these kids go through

everyday. with no hope that tomorrow , next week , or next year wil be better.

INSULIN IS NOT A CURE!! we need to find a cure for these kids.

January 3, 2008, 2:48 pm CST

Diabetic woman is happier being skinny. Is that bad?

I dont blame the diabetic woman for wanting to be skinny vs being fat. Do you personally know many FAT people who are happy? married? getting all the dates? getting attention or even happy when they look in the mirror in the morning.......

I would rather be skinny and roll the dice and then be FAT, miserable, depressed, unhappy, isolated, grumpy, etc and still roll the dice anyways, because when you are diabetic you really never know the future or what the future holds or what situations might evolve... HEY WHAT is todays society about? Especially like this young lady who's only 17. Come on now. They all read the magazines. GQ, FHM, Maxim, etc, etc. Its all about the body, looks, what people look like, etc. Its what society has placed on us! It's all around us. Especially when your a young woman, I mean the stress, demands must be compounding and driving her crazy... What young woman wants to be FAT is she doesn't want to be! Remember every young adult or older teenager thinks they have all the answers right????

I don't blame her at all. Not for a second! The stress and demands that today's society places on a young adult or late teenager in terms of looks, body, etc is MASSIVE! So for a diebetic woman to know that not taking the crappy shots in order to keep her skinny.... What do you think she's gonna do??? It's not her fault. She didn't ask or want this disease or even do things to bring it upon herself (like some needle sharing HIV people or Hep B or C who bring this upon themselves by bringing the risk upon themselves...

I don't blame this teenager woman who wants to just be normal.... Yes she is a diabetic, but she does not want to be fat... Is that so much to asK??? Society brings this upon us soooo hard and so much...what do you expect them to do???

January 3, 2008, 3:00 pm CST

Matress surfing isnt that bad if you have a brain!

Why does Dr. Phil think this is so bad? I mean I have seen in the paper or on the Internet, many, MANY TIMES about some innocent teenager who was playing ice hockey, on a completely controlled and represented organization/hockey league who was HIT from behind by a player on the oppopsite team and because of the way he went into the boards, fractured his spinal cord, vertibrates in his spinal cord, and as a result, will be a QUADRAPALIGIC from the REST OF HIS LIFE. Do you know what that means? It means he ONLY has the use of his head and his tongue! at best!

Now any parent out there, any professional, any ER doctor you tell me what kind of a life is that? Being a prisioner in a wheel cheer for the REST of his life and why? because someone else in an ADULT CONTROLLED enviornment let it happen! I know you can't predict the future or people's behaviour but the end result, is the real end result.....

Now is that any better or any worse then people who want to do driving around on a 'fairly thick' BED mattress and a controlled speed, in a controlled enviornment, on a hay field that even Dr. Phil says 'acts as a cushion' if someone was to fall off???

I could go on and on about injuries to teenagers in a adult controlled enviornment where someone gets seriously injured..... So why is matress surfing so frowned upon by Dr. Phil. Dr. Phil said he wouldn' t allow his kids to go mattress surfing, but WOULD he allow his kids to play FULL CONTACT Ice Hockey in a competative league? or Rugby? in the same envoirnment? How about Go-Karting or Bungie Jumping or Parachuting from 10,000 feet?

January 3, 2008, 3:02 pm CST

More Common Than You Think

My best friend is in the same situation, with the same feelings as the young 15 year old diabetic girl. Her mother and I have tried EVERYTHING to get her to take her insulin. She is in and out of the hospital often, the most recent being because of infected cysts in some rather uncomfortable areas. Once out of the hospital, she was required to see the doctor weekly, after only a few weeks the doctor changed her appointments to monthly. This behaviour has been going on for over three years and she has no intentions of changing.

My friend comes from a very close family, all Aunts and Uncles living within 2 KM of each other. Some of the family is VERY fit and active, some of the family is overweight, and some of the family is very average. My friends mother is overweight and has been overweight her entire life. The entire immediate and extended family is OBSESSED with weight. I feel this encourages my friend's behaviour.

It saddens me that these young people feel that they are invincible. How can we help them.

January 3, 2008, 3:03 pm CST

Just some run of the mill ER Doctor, thats all....

Quote From: session1979

Anyone know who he is?

It's just some regular joe who is an ER doctor at some hospital.. Nothing out of the ordinary, but infact just that, the ordinary run of the mill, ER doctor at a regional hospital......

Well he IS also involved in a NEW REALITY SHOW that DR. PHIL mentions repeatly on his show, that HIS OWN SON is CO-HOSTING called DOCTORS airing in Sept 2008...

But that's all we know and all that Dr.Phil would say about it...

January 3, 2008, 3:09 pm CST

Diabulimia

Dr. Phil:

When I saw this show I just had to sit down and write you a letter.  When I saw that 16 year old girl who is not taking her insulin, I just could not believe it.  Let me just explain, I got married when I was 18 years old.  I thought that I met the man of my dreams and when he told me he was a diabetic, I said ok.  I am now a widow to this man.  When he found out he was a diabetic he was 13 years old.  I cannot tell you how many times I heard this man say, "the only difference between you and me is that I take a shot and you dont".  I did not know that being a diabetic was so bad because I dont think I even knew what a diabetic was let alone how we were SUPPOSED to be eating.  He was also 18 when we got married.  We had our first child when we were 20 years old.  I cannot tell you how it feels to know that for your whole married life you know that he will die before you and there is nothing that you can do about it.  I did not know there were such a thing as DIABETIC CLASSES that we could go to and learn about what a diabetic was.  We were married for 18 years in March of 1996.  Then in May of 1996 I lost my husband.  He was a diabetic and did not take care of himself.  There were times that his blood sugar was over 1000 and he would look at the dr. and say, I will not go to the hospital.  I am sure you understand that as a Dr. he would freak as soon as he would hear this.  Well, by the time my husband wanted to start to watch his diet, the damage was already done.  Now, as I said before, I am a widow  with two boys.  These boys have lost their dad, he will never know his grandkids.  My kids never get to see the joy on grandpa's face when the grandkids come over, because he is dead.  This girl does not understand what she is doing to herself.  She does not know what kind of problems she is causing.  Not to mention that you have to sit and wait for someone to die so that you could possibly have a chance at a kidney.  It is a sad  to sit and watch these two little boys bury their dad.  I dont know what I could possibly say to her that would wake her up.  My little boys have sat at a hospital for so many hours just not knowing if they would ever see their dad, not knowing if he would come home this time.  I feel like there needs to be more education and more classes to people to become diabetic.  Dont get me wrong, I am so not perfect.  I am not in the best shape myself but she is so young and cannot possibly understand what she is doing to herself.  Please dr. phil try to make her understand what she is doing.   This other lady who had kids, maybe she needs to talk to two young men who have already gone through what her kids will be going through.  Let her know how it feels, to hear from kids who have already lost a parent.  They think that this disease only affects them.  They are so wrong.   When I said for sickness and in health I meant it but I could have done more.  Looking back, I should have been a better wife and I should have been a stronger person.  My kids and I have been through so much that we would help anyway that we could.  Because of this sad sad disease, we were able to have two kidney transplants and still lost him.  We will always be organ donors but need to help and fix it before they need the organs.  That mom can not possibly understand what she is doing to her kids.  She will understand when she is 6 feet under and they are dropping their tears on her grave. I have also learned that you cannot make them change, they have to want to make some changes.  They needs to accept their illness and get over the weight issue or they are going to be DEAD! You are such and awesome and professional person that I would say has a great bedside mannor.  I say that because you dont say what we want to hear, you say what has got to be said. Thanks for listening.

January 3, 2008, 3:12 pm CST

Why would you do that to yourself....

I saw the show today and stood stunned on how these people would do these things to hurt yourself knowing you shouldnt or for fun...I know there are some addrealin junkies that need that high, but why burn yourself and risk infection and worse... To the gurls I know that its hard to be thin in this world but why would you knowingly kill yourself to be thin... Why not get help to be happy with yourself instead... I have an uncle that has alzimers and had diabeties and he has ended up in the hospital many time close to death or a stoke due to not remembering to take his meds... And here are people that are doing it on purpose... Causing themself bad pain and killing themselves, Taking away there future and dreams... Dont they know How lucky they are to be able to have a life and a family and besides the diabities be able to do anything they really want....

I am 21 years old and Have had to have 2 back surgeries in 07, one emergancy in Jan of 2007 and the other in October or 2007, I have to deal with the fact that I have suver nerve damage and constant cronic leg pain.... The disc that got operated on ruptured twice.... None of the doctors truly know how I got the way I got and how my back got so bad.  On top of that I have a high talerance for pain so that also mean I have a high talerance for medications... the only meds that work for me is Morphin and I have had to stop taking it because I dont want to become dependent so that mean I spend day and night crying and in pain... I am unable to be in school, stand for long periods of time, or even do anything a person my age can do... I just want to be a normal 21 year old,  go to school and work, have a life besides my home... I look at these ppl and truly wonder how I got stuck in the situation I got stuck in and they are killing themselfs and risking something so precious there lives and abilities...

January 3, 2008, 3:14 pm CST

Perspective from a Self-Branding Teen

As can be seen in many things there are right, and wrong ways to do things. I two guys shown on todays show self-branding were doing it wrong.

I have very clear reasons for my choice, and well aware of the risks (which were researched for weeks).

I am a pagan, more accurately a Solitary Nordic Wiccan. Now as I became more serious about my spirituality, and knowing the misconceptions and outlook of some who would call us "goth" or "satanists" and "heathens". I made a choice to indelibly mark my hand with three dots which represent the Goddess.

The act of branding was the real goal, I endured pain to show my strength and devotion to my beliefs. The mark left is a reminder of my devotion, and to show other how strongly I feel.

Done out of boredom or to show up another is dumb, however some do it for other reasons, none of which are to be mocked or ridiculed.

January 3, 2008, 3:17 pm CST

being a diabetic

Quote From: mominthenow

I am an insulin-dependent diabetic woman using an insulin pump (age 43).  I have had diabetes for 24 years, wearing a pump for 21 years.  Because of the pump, I have had 2 healthy children and am in good health with no retinopathy, neuropathy, or kidney damage.  My heart just aches for these ladies.  I understand because the same thing entered my mind when in college....stop taking insulin and lose weight.  However, in addition to the damage it does to your body, it makes you FEEL terrible.  Sleepy, inability to concentrate, nauseated, etc.  Being pretty is important to ladies, myself included, but seeing my children grow up is MORE IMPORTANT.  We can be thin and take care of ourselves at the same time.  That's what diabetic care is...living a healthy life and taking care of yourself.  Because these ladies have been through so much treatment, they know that they can be thin, eat foods they enjoy, and live a healthy life.  They really can have it all....the question is...do they have the discipline and patience to pull it off?  I am 5'5", weigh 137 lbs., and wear a size 10.  I am so sorry for these ladies...they are pretty now, but the road they are traveling is hard and, unfortunately, will cause their final weeks and days to be VERY UGLY!!  But, I guess they can wear their size 0 pants in the casket-if they have any legs left!
I totally agree with this lady.  She seems to be a "good" diabetic.  No, she is not perfect because only god is perfect.  She does know what it takes to have her diabeties under control.  Great for you.  Hopefully you will be able to pass her message onto these two ladies.  Thank you.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last