Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 3, 2008, 3:19 pm CST

Now whats wrong with sex

Quote From: sweetpea2002

From personal experience, what these boys are doing isn't nearly as harmless as what they could be doing, look at it this way, would you rather have your teenage son out drinking, doing drugs, having sex...and I seriously hope that your answer is NO!!  I have done similar things to what these boys are doing, and go ahead and call me stupid, but I'm still alive, and so are the many people I have done this with.  Everyday we live with risks, we wake up not knowing if we are going to make it through the day, we go to bed hoping to wake up the next morning, but if you live your life in fear of everything you come across, then you might as well go ahead and lock yourself in a padded room and never come out.  What is wrong with a having fun with your life? I know that if this were 1960, we would think nothing of it, we would laugh and say "hey, why did I not think of that myself!"  If these boys parents dont care, they have checked it out themselves, they've even watched them mattress surf, then who are we to tell these parents that they are dumb for letting there kids do this...hmm?  Are my parents dumb because they let my brother and I do the same thing, because they themselves were the driver of the truck pulling us? I sure dont think so, I think my parents raised two great young adults, we are both now out on our own, and doing great!  I hope that you all can read this and see it for what it really is, you may not want your kids doing this, and thats just fine, your life, your children, your decision!!

Happy New Year 2008 Everyone!!

Teen includes 18 and 19 right? they are adults...right... I'm not saying they can do drugs or drink but safe sex is alot better than what we could be doing, which is the point of your post, sex is good too.

January 3, 2008, 3:25 pm CST

Mattress surfing fatality

Quote From: ramair

Not all mattress surfing is done in an empty field. It's often done on the same busy streets travelled by drunk drivers. Have you watched today's show, BTW? One of Dr Phil's guests talked about a mattress surfing fatality.
Show me some statistics of mattress surfing fatalities and say crime/felony related fatalities, spend your time putting criminals that kill. in jail or graves. and teach kids to be safe (with helmets and pads) when they are mattress surfing.

January 3, 2008, 3:32 pm CST

You just don't get it, so keep it to yourself.

Quote From: randys4562

what i found funny about branding is that this was a fad in a segment of the gay community that deals with S & M. 
I think that this is a very dangerous thing to do and would never condone it for anyone.  All i can wonder is what are these people thinking.  Though i know that there are some more deep rooted problems that some of these people need to deal with.
Because you don't get it. alright S&M is a little weird, but the difference between me, who has a self brand and you is that I don't fear the pain or the mark it leaves. There was a reason for it, just the using it for S&M.

January 3, 2008, 3:36 pm CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Quote From: shmigelz

Why does Dr. Phil think this is so bad? I mean I have seen in the paper or on the Internet, many, MANY TIMES about some innocent teenager who was playing ice hockey, on a completely controlled and represented organization/hockey league who was HIT from behind by a player on the oppopsite team and because of the way he went into the boards, fractured his spinal cord, vertibrates in his spinal cord, and as a result, will be a QUADRAPALIGIC from the REST OF HIS LIFE. Do you know what that means? It means he ONLY has the use of his head and his tongue! at best!

Now any parent out there, any professional, any ER doctor you tell me what kind of a life is that? Being a prisioner in a wheel cheer for the REST of his life and why? because someone else in an ADULT CONTROLLED enviornment let it happen! I know you can't predict the future or people's behaviour but the end result, is the real end result.....

Now is that any better or any worse then people who want to do driving around on a 'fairly thick' BED mattress and a controlled speed, in a controlled enviornment, on a hay field that even Dr. Phil says 'acts as a cushion' if someone was to fall off???

I could go on and on about injuries to teenagers in a adult controlled enviornment where someone gets seriously injured..... So why is matress surfing so frowned upon by Dr. Phil. Dr. Phil said he wouldn' t allow his kids to go mattress surfing, but WOULD he allow his kids to play FULL CONTACT Ice Hockey in a competative league? or Rugby? in the same envoirnment? How about Go-Karting or Bungie Jumping or Parachuting from 10,000 feet?

Now I see where your going with this and its NOT THE SAME... That kid yes was injured but that was an accident, it was not planned and was not done on purpose...  If you want to go with the theory that your going in then that means that everything is dangerous, driving on the street my boyfriend was in an accident cause some guy was talking on the phone my man was stopped at a red light, walking also ppl get get by walking down the street, playing in the playground you can fall fromt the swing or the monkey bars... The point is that its completely different things... People that think mattress surfing is so cool and ok, its not your putting yourself at risk on purpose, u know you can be fan over, brake your neck or worse die, and your putting yourself in that situation, the same thing when ppl burn themselves for fun or race their cars really fast for the thrill,  Yea the thrill until they hit someone and kill them, or get an infection and have to have a limp cut off, or end up in a wheel chair cause they thought it was fun to ride on a mattress behind a car lost control and broke their neck and ended up "QUADRAPALIGIC" for the rest of their lives... No one to blame but their dumb brains and themselves...

Im not trying to insult you in anyway but I have had to have 2 back surgeries in 2007 one emergancy in jan 07 ( I lose badder control and feelin in my right leg) and my 2nd one in Oct 07 (disc re-ruputed)... i am 21 years old and I cant even go to school or work, I am in CONSTANT cronic leg pain...I cant do daily task like eveyone else,  (We have no Idea how I got like that) so when ppl put themselves in a situation that they can end up in my situation or worse, why would ya do that... Its just DUMB!!!!!

January 3, 2008, 3:38 pm CST

Quote From: twalsh341

Teen includes 18 and 19 right? they are adults...right... I'm not saying they can do drugs or drink but safe sex is alot better than what we could be doing, which is the point of your post, sex is good too.

YEA, ITS OK CAUSE YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS ARE STILL ALIVE, BUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO SAY AND DO WHEN YOUR LUCK RUNS OUT AND ONE OF YOU GUYS DONT MAKE IT... WILL IT BE OK THEN????

January 3, 2008, 3:49 pm CST

branding

Isn't branding  for cattle. NOT humans. But I've heard of animinals being smarter than humans. These people who brand themselves have way too much free time to think of STUPID stuff to do. If it is to make a statement in life OK you made it lets stop now. before it gets out of hand and turns into a new fad of self mutalation.

January 3, 2008, 3:50 pm CST

After seeing the segment about the branding I worry. As the doctor said, recently there are all sorts of worry's about  the 'superbug', already and thats a potential concern in this case. I advise anyone one who knows anyone doing this or who does participate in this practice to stop. I have been fighting the superbug for over a year (not due to any actions like those illustrated on the show), and it is not something I would wish on anyone. If you like the thrill of a bit of pain, you will not like having wounds which drain, and cause you problems with mobility, having scars all over your body where the infections were located, there is so much more to it, it has caused me to lose my confidence and pride in myself, and caused some deep emptional issues. It's not worth getting the best of your boredom!

DO NOT BRAND YOURSELF, OR DO ANYTHING THAT WILL POTENTIALLY CAUSE YOU HARM OR ILLNESS!!

January 3, 2008, 3:53 pm CST

It's Not Too Late!!

Quote From: hammees

MY LITTLE SISTER DIED AT THE AGE OF 22 YEARS OLD FOR DOING THE SAME THING AS THIS 15 YEAR OLD GIRL. SHE HATED BEING HEAVY MOST OF HER CHILD HOOD (SINCE 7 YEARS OLD) AND SHE FIGURED OUT HOW TO GET TO A SIZE ZERO AND IT COST HER, HER LIFE.  OUR FAMILY IS DEVASTATED AND WE STILL HAVE NOT FULLY RECOVERED FROM THE LOSS OF HER LIFE.  WE WILL NEVER SEE  HER AGAIN AND SHE DIDN'T GET TO SEE MOST OF HER NIECES AND NEPHEWS BEING BORN, ESPECIALLY MINE WHO WE NAMED AFTER HER.  SHE WAS MY ONLY SISTER AND AFTER NEARLY 9 YEARS IT DOESN'T GET MUCH EASIER YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO GET THROUGH EACH DAY WITHOUT HER.  MY SISTER HAD DIABETIC NEUROPATHY AS WELL AND THE ONLY THING WE ARE THANKFUL OF IS THAT SHE DIED AS A WHOLE PERSON, MEANING SHE HAD HER LEGS, FEET, ARMS AND HANDS STILL ATTACHED. BUT BELIEVE ME SHE WAS WELL ON HER WAY TO LOSING HER FEET AND LEGS.  SHE DIED VERY UNEXPECTEDLY, IT WAS JUST ANOTHER TRIP TO THE HOSPITAL FOR HER SUGAR AND WHEN I LEFT HER THAT NIGHT ABOUT 10 O'CLOCK THAT WAS THE LAST I SAW HER ALIVE.  AFTER A NURSE CAME IN TO CHECK HER VITALS AROUND 4 A.M. SHE WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT PAIN AND WANTED MEDS. SHE WASN'T ALLOWED TO GET THEM UNTIL 5 A.M. WHEN THE NURSE CAME BACK IN AROUND THAT TIME SHE WAS ALREADY GONE. ATTEMPTS TO REVIVE HER OBVIOUSLY WERE UNSUCCESSFUL.  THE CORONERS REPORT INDICATED SHE DIED OF HEART FAILURE.  WE WERE TOLD HER HEART WAS WORKING SOOO HARD FOR THE REST OF HER ORGANS AND IT JUST GAVE UP. 

I HOPE KAYTEE READS THIS AND THE OTHER WOMAN ON THE SHOW AND MAYBE MY SISTER'S STORY WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THEIR LIFE.  NEITHER OF THESE PEOPLE REALLY REALIZE THE IMPACT OF THEIR ACTIONS, THINK OF EVERYONE YOU WILL BE LEAVING BEHIND.  I THINK OF MY SISTER EVERYDAY, AND WISH SHE WAS HERE WITH ME. 

I was diagnosed with Type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes when I was nineteen years old, 38 years ago.  As I listened to Kaytee, I heard her imply that it was too late and that she was going to die soon

anyway, so why change.  When I was diagnosed, I also thought that I wouldn't live many years.  After I had my children, I hoped that I would live long enough for them to remember me.  When that milestone passed, I hoped that I would live long enough to witness their high school graduations.  Those milestones have also passed, and I now have two beautiful granddaughters. 

I probably would also have withheld insulin to control my weight if I hadn't been plagued with

very unconfortable yeast infections whenever my blood sugars went above 300 for any length

of time.  So I chose to walk 3 miles daily when weather permitted, eat lots of salads, and limit myself

to around 150 carbohydrates a day. It worked for me. I feel and look healthier than the majority of my nondiabetic peers.

Kaytee, diabetes doesn't have to be a death sentence.  Choose to embrace life, to jump over this road block, and to discover what brings you joy.

January 3, 2008, 3:53 pm CST

are these spoild rotten

Quote From: twalsh341

Show me some statistics of mattress surfing fatalities and say crime/felony related fatalities, spend your time putting criminals that kill. in jail or graves. and teach kids to be safe (with helmets and pads) when they are mattress surfing.

these people are ones that must be bored with life. So bad that they have to think of STUPID stuff

to do, and they son't take time to think of the harm they could to their self. I just think they have way too

much free time and are bored to the MAXIUM.

January 3, 2008, 3:55 pm CST

Diabulimia

Dr Phil:
I have a daughter who seems too be having the same problem as these young ladies. My daughter 1 year ago weighed 148 pounds. She seemed to be very healthy. She enjoyed running, was very active and outgoing. She started to loose weight and to date has lost 74 pounds that is exactly half of what her weight was. She wears a size 0 and that is very loose on her. She has been admitted twice in the hospital. They have ran test after test on her and still have not found out the answer. They are doing more test this month. My daughter had the same exact symptoms not to mention attitudes as the girl on your show. She is diabetic and only does her insulin when watched and her blood sugars are always high. Today when watching the show It was like seeing my daughter there only with a different face. My daughter however is a lot smaller, bones showing all over her body, no muscle, she has severe uncontrollable diarrhea now and I watch her wilt away day by day. My daughter is a young adult and it is out of my control to have anything done with her as far as treatment. I've exhausted all my finances trying to find help. I lay at night praying to God for answers and help.  I'm mentally drained. My son ask me why I never smile anymore, I feel as though I am dying  along with her. It's not fair to the rest of my family that I feel this way but it is what it is.
Dr Phil If you know of anything that can help her than please email me or call me. Please.
If anyone else knows of anything than please leave a message. Thanks so much.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last