Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 2, 2008, 8:23 am CST

????

Is it my imagination or are teens getting more daredevil as the years go on? It seems like you hear about more teen deaths on the news these days because they tried dumb stunts they have probably seen on tv. Parents needs to be as aware as they can be about their teens in order to keep them safe. Raising kids can be a chore in itself!

January 3, 2008, 6:57 am CST

Don't wanna take your insulin?

After 12 years as a insulin dependent diabetic I am so angry that these little girls have no remorse over the fact that they are not only ruining their own lives but the lives around them by electing to submit to the looks over health issues in their lives.  Even taking my insulin and following a diet exercise regiment rather closely I have found I can not control my sugar levels and have to test every few hours.   The fact that a reading of 600 should be enough to be able to have them committed to the hospital for their own safety as well as the safety of others around them.   Did they DRIVE to the taping at a risk of going into shock or even worse coma with the elevated levels that they are talking about?

January 3, 2008, 7:15 am CST

Brings back memories.

You know, it doesn't make the present day any less important, but people in general have been doing crazy things for a long time, possibly forever. I live in the country. Years ago we used to get humongous snows. These roads here were pretty much impassable because back then we were the last to get cleared and not as many people had 4 wheel drives. During one of those snows, a group of guys brought thier 4 wheel drives and skis and took turns being pulled behind the trucks on the snow covered roads. No one got hurt. Also my brothers used to get on sleds at the top of a steep grade on our road and slide to the bottom. Again, by the Grace of God, no on got hurt. My brothers were teens at the time,but the other guys were in thier 30's.

Also, in a different type of stupid situation, I did a really naive and ridiculous thing close to 40 years ago. Of course nothing bad happened to me, and I survived to tell it, but looking back on it, I was totally STUPID. When I was about 14, my brothers and I were walking down the road one day. A guy came along on a motorcycle and stopped and talked to us. I don't remember exactly what this guy's face looked like, but he had long hair and jeans and boots and a Yankee accent. I said something to him about his accent and he said he was from New Jersey. Well, believe it or not , New Jersy sounded exotic to me. Well, this stranger that I had never seen before in my life asked me if I wanted to go for a ride on his motorcycle. I hopped right on the back and he took me for a short ride. I was not the least bit afraid. Nothing happened, he went out a frontage road along the interstate and then came straight back. (Maybe 5 minutes.) I thought that was soooo exciting.  He ofered to take my brothers for a ride but they wouldn't go.

As the years went by and I heard about serial killers,etc, I looked back on that day and wondered, was that just a nice guy giving a stupid 14 year old girl a ride for a few moments, or did I dodge a bullet? I'll never know. I had never done anything like that before and never did again. The strange thing is, if someone had come along in a car, I would never have gotten in the car. Sometimes for a moment in time people will do really stupid stuff.

January 3, 2008, 7:24 am CST

A reading of 600? I haven't seen the show yet.

Quote From: lvlichaels

After 12 years as a insulin dependent diabetic I am so angry that these little girls have no remorse over the fact that they are not only ruining their own lives but the lives around them by electing to submit to the looks over health issues in their lives.  Even taking my insulin and following a diet exercise regiment rather closely I have found I can not control my sugar levels and have to test every few hours.   The fact that a reading of 600 should be enough to be able to have them committed to the hospital for their own safety as well as the safety of others around them.   Did they DRIVE to the taping at a risk of going into shock or even worse coma with the elevated levels that they are talking about?
Good grief, 600 is really high, isn't it? They might as well take up smoking too if you ask me. This is one of the craziest things I have personally ever heard. Does taking insulin make people gain weight? I don't know that much about diabetes. A fellow that I know who is around 58 years old and has had diabetes since he was a teenager is very close to getting a much needed kidney. Lord knows he has had all kinds of health problems through the years because of his diabetes. He has been on dialysis for 2 1/2 years. It would seem that diabetes is a scary enough disease without playing around with the insulin. I am truly bumfuzzled.

January 3, 2008, 7:46 am CST

Weightloss

Ok, I am not here to judge anyone. But I would like to say I can understand these kids and adults wanting to lose weight. Well there are so many things out there that make me mad about the whole weightloss issue. I know there are major health issues with people being obese but on the other hand I feel there is way to many worries about weightloss. You turn on the TV and all you see is weightloss advertisments and it encourges kids and adults to be super skinny and then here comes the eating disorders. I have teenage neices and they are all worried about their weight and they are very tiny. WHY? Because of all the talking about being skinny. I also have a 6 yearold neice who calls herself fat because she says "everyone on tv says you should be skinny and if you have a big tummy you're not pretty" I just can't understand why people don't see the worries about all the needyness to be extremely skinny.. Myself I believe being underweight is just as if not more dangerous than being overweight. And I feel that if people stop putting so much thoughts and effort on trying to lose weight the world would be much better off. I personally feel is someone wants to lose weight they will and they will seek the help to do so, You cannot force or convince someone to be thin unless they want to or they are ready. Simple as that! It really angers me that the only thing people are worried about is being skinny.

Thank You

Mrs.Koon of Ohio

January 3, 2008, 8:36 am CST

Pretty...

Quote From: lvlichaels

They will be thin little blind girls on dialysis with gangrenous toes.  Attractive, Huh?

January 3, 2008, 9:08 am CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Quote From: housewife52

Good grief, 600 is really high, isn't it? They might as well take up smoking too if you ask me. This is one of the craziest things I have personally ever heard. Does taking insulin make people gain weight? I don't know that much about diabetes. A fellow that I know who is around 58 years old and has had diabetes since he was a teenager is very close to getting a much needed kidney. Lord knows he has had all kinds of health problems through the years because of his diabetes. He has been on dialysis for 2 1/2 years. It would seem that diabetes is a scary enough disease without playing around with the insulin. I am truly bumfuzzled.

MY LITTLE SISTER DIED AT THE AGE OF 22 YEARS OLD FOR DOING THE SAME THING AS THIS 15 YEAR OLD GIRL. SHE HATED BEING HEAVY MOST OF HER CHILD HOOD (SINCE 7 YEARS OLD) AND SHE FIGURED OUT HOW TO GET TO A SIZE ZERO AND IT COST HER, HER LIFE.  OUR FAMILY IS DEVASTATED AND WE STILL HAVE NOT FULLY RECOVERED FROM THE LOSS OF HER LIFE.  WE WILL NEVER SEE  HER AGAIN AND SHE DIDN'T GET TO SEE MOST OF HER NIECES AND NEPHEWS BEING BORN, ESPECIALLY MINE WHO WE NAMED AFTER HER.  SHE WAS MY ONLY SISTER AND AFTER NEARLY 9 YEARS IT DOESN'T GET MUCH EASIER YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO GET THROUGH EACH DAY WITHOUT HER.  MY SISTER HAD DIABETIC NEUROPATHY AS WELL AND THE ONLY THING WE ARE THANKFUL OF IS THAT SHE DIED AS A WHOLE PERSON, MEANING SHE HAD HER LEGS, FEET, ARMS AND HANDS STILL ATTACHED. BUT BELIEVE ME SHE WAS WELL ON HER WAY TO LOSING HER FEET AND LEGS.  SHE DIED VERY UNEXPECTEDLY, IT WAS JUST ANOTHER TRIP TO THE HOSPITAL FOR HER SUGAR AND WHEN I LEFT HER THAT NIGHT ABOUT 10 O'CLOCK THAT WAS THE LAST I SAW HER ALIVE.  AFTER A NURSE CAME IN TO CHECK HER VITALS AROUND 4 A.M. SHE WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT PAIN AND WANTED MEDS. SHE WASN'T ALLOWED TO GET THEM UNTIL 5 A.M. WHEN THE NURSE CAME BACK IN AROUND THAT TIME SHE WAS ALREADY GONE. ATTEMPTS TO REVIVE HER OBVIOUSLY WERE UNSUCCESSFUL.  THE CORONERS REPORT INDICATED SHE DIED OF HEART FAILURE.  WE WERE TOLD HER HEART WAS WORKING SOOO HARD FOR THE REST OF HER ORGANS AND IT JUST GAVE UP. 

I HOPE KAYTEE READS THIS AND THE OTHER WOMAN ON THE SHOW AND MAYBE MY SISTER'S STORY WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THEIR LIFE.  NEITHER OF THESE PEOPLE REALLY REALIZE THE IMPACT OF THEIR ACTIONS, THINK OF EVERYONE YOU WILL BE LEAVING BEHIND.  I THINK OF MY SISTER EVERYDAY, AND WISH SHE WAS HERE WITH ME. 

January 3, 2008, 9:36 am CST

About the mattress surfing

Like some others, I had never heard of this either...so, I did a little research on the internet.  I found out that in the movie "The Princess Diaries 2", that there is a "mattress surfing" scene. Kids see this stuff on TV and think it's ok to do. I wonder, do the parents think it's ok, too?....or that it's ok until someone gets hurt?

January 3, 2008, 10:59 am CST

Branding

I only got to watch half of the show, but I am a 19 year old that would like to make a comment on some of the things that I saw.  The matress surfing is not a very safe thing to do by far...I don't understand why someone would be willing to drive their friends around on a mattress, that is attached only by a rope or a chain to the back of a vehicle.  I don't understand how they see this as fun? Also, I saw where the teenagers were branding each other.  When I was in high school, I had some friends that would take lighters and make the ends of them so hot that when they touched their skin with the lighter it pretty much "branded" them.  I never understood why someone would want to do that to themselves. The scar is there forever and it was probably painful.  Some of them said they were drunk so they couldn't feel it, but do you know how red it got...and who knows what could have been on the end of that lighter?!?!

I do not understand why people would want to do this to themselves, they are putting their lives in danger some how in some way...

January 3, 2008, 11:07 am CST

shocking trends

Quote From: deenafd

I really have trouble understanding this.  I just don't know how these things get started.  I have two teenagers and they are not perfect, but I cannot imagine them even trying anything like this.  Are parents really not aware or do they just think it is no big deal?

Well ... it's been a while since being a teenager, but I can see where these kinds of things are fun and thrilling for a teenager.  When I was a teen ... jumping trains was the "thing."  I think about it now and wonder how I ever lived through it.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last