Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 3, 2008, 1:25 pm CST

Diabulimia

Hi Dr Phil,

My name is Cindy Hillyard and I'm a type 1 diabetic and I didn't know that there was such a topic as diabulimia but I knew of how to do it and how it reacts in the body as I've done it for a couple of years expecially in the summer so that I would look better and of course so I wouldn't be over weight. But as the years passed I lost my brother to Diabulimia and it has been 11 years that I;ve been diabetic and now I;m over weight but what I think about most is that I won't be here to enjoy my life and I won't be here with the people I love to enjoy that life I've been given. I don't know what you think but I think that the women you had on the show should meet a diabetic that has things under control and still living a productive life. I hope that you show both those women what I've posted here and would love to be in contact with them. Thank you Cindy Hillyard

January 3, 2008, 1:30 pm CST

Diabulemia

I am a 42 yr. old diabetic who was diagnosed at 12 yrs. of age.  I can totally understand the stories of the women on the show today who suffer from Diabulemia.  When I became diabetic I was hospitalized for one week to learn about my new disease, how to give shots and follow a special diet.  I gained 20 pounds that week in the hospital.  The thing most people do not realize is that insulin is an appetite increaser.  It is a very, very, very tough and tricky balance between diet (what we put in our bodies), exercise (how active or inactive we are at any given time), and insulin.  If only taking insulin was all we had to deal with or worry about.  I was constantly sick after becoming diabetic.  I have had mono 5 times and was hospitalized for over 2 weeks my freshman year in college with Toxic Shock Syndrome.  It wasduring those college years that I was also hospitalized for sickness due to not taking my insulin shots.  I was so sick and tired of the constant battle between taking care of diabetes and the weight gain that always seemed to ensue.   I did not know until today though that there was a name for this behavior.  I always felt alone, like no one else could ever understand what/how I was feeling.  The fact is, no one can truly understand unless they have gone through it.  That is why I am speaking up now.  Please understand that there are others like you out here.  I found my way out of diabulemia and you can too.  At the age of 25 I gave birth to twin baby boys.  My doctor never thought I would be able to carry my twins to term because of the poor condition and poor control of diabetes that I had.  They were born 7 weeks early, and are now happy, healthy 16 year olds!  God definitely had plans other than what I thought I deserved.  I still struggle with control of my diabetes.  Shortly after the birth of my twins, I had to undergo major surgery in each for diabetic retinopathy along with laser eye surgeries too numerous to count.  I recently underwent cataract surgery in each eye also.  I am 42 years old, 5 ft. 8 in. tall and weigh about 185 pounds.  Yes, I am overweight, yes, it depresses me sometimes, yes I feel like giving up many times throughout the course of each year of my life.  At the same time, I feel that God has given me and shown me purpose for my life.  If I want to lose weight, I may have to work harder than some to do so, but I do know that I will be here for as long as possible to watch and nurture my boys in all they choose to do.  Do not sell yourself short and cheat yourself out of all the beautiful possibilities that your life has in store for you. Do not cheat your families out of seeing you for all you can be.   If you cannot do it for yourself, do it for your family.  Trust me, there are many days that I feel I can't or don't deserve to do it for myself, and so I do it for them.

What is wrong with these parents

Where is the common sense with all of the parents on todays show are they really that stupid!!!

If I found my kid doing that they would be in a world of trouble.

My son on a hot summer night with his best friends snuck up to the top of our street which is a hill with their skateboards no shirts no helmets because they wanted to look cool and rode down in the dark they all ended up in the emergency room with severe road rash which to this day still bothers my son , 

When he plays in school sports he has a horrific scar that he must bandage when playing all because he had a brain fart. The ER doctor came in and told him to register as a organ donor when he was older because they need healthy organ donors. That was the best thing the doctor could have ever said to a patient as far as I am concerned. My son  now skates in parks only and wears a helmet and I am sure the restriction  his father and I imposed along with the no skateboarding for 6 long months helped.

Parents" boys will be boys" is a outdated saying  get off your lazy buts and start parenting like a responsible parent should stop trying to be a friend to them.  As for the two young diabetics I was angry to see them be so selfish I hope the older diabetic does not drive she could kill someone and the mom needs to sell the house and put her daughter  in treatment .She said  won't  because there are no guarantees "in treatment" would help .  there are no guarantees in life but you are acting like your house is more important then your child's life jeez!!!

crazy

FIRST OF ALL THE KIDS WHO DO THE MATTRESS SLIDING ARE NUTS , JUST PLAIN OLD NUTS....NOW TO THE TWO WHO HAVE DIABETES. I AM A DIABETIC AND I LIKE SWEETS ALSO, BUT I DO TAKE MY SHOTS AND DON'T EAT SWEETS ALL THE TIME. LISTEN I WANT TO SEE MY GRANDCHILDREN GROW UP, AND I WILL BE DANG IF I DO ALOT TO DESTROY THAT...I  WOMAN WHO HAS CHILDREN MUST NOT THINK A WHOLE LOT OF HER FAMILY, IF SHE IS DOWN TO SIZE 1. . WAKE UP AND  START LIVING FOR YOUR CHILDREN AND NOT YOURSELF, YOU ARE SELFISH... THE YOUNGER GIRL AND DO WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO NOT TO BE LIKE THE OLDER WOMAN...THE LADY THAT SMOKES, I ALSO SMOKED AND WHETHER YOUR HUSBAND STOPS OR NOT, YOU DO NEED TO QUIT SMOKING. YOUR HUSBAND NEEDS TO QUIT ALSO.. I USED PRAYER AND THAT IS WHY I WAS ABLE TO STOP, IT WAS BETWEEN ME AND GOD AND NO ONE ELSE. BECAUSE I LOVED MY GRANDCHILDREN MORE THAN MYSELF....I LOVE MY CHILDREN TOO, BUT NOW IT IS TIME FOR MY GRSNDCHILDREN....

concerned sister

Todays show regarding mattress surfing has concerned me deeply. Since i have moved away to college my parents have gone to the extreams to make my 15 year old brother completely happy with his life. While visiting home for the holidays, i learned about this process of mattress surfing... and even watched videos of my brother and his friends doing this. My heart stopped. I just couldn't quit thinking about loseing my brother or seeing him lose a friend because my parents aren't aware of the dangers he is a part of. It all began when they let him buy a four-wheeler a year ago. He isn't required by them to ware a helment, basically because he doesn't want to. My parents are amazing and truley only want to do what they think will be best for him... I think they are forgetting about my 40 year old uncle who is in a assisted living  home with a brain injury  or  our neighbor who wreaked his motocycle and is now in a wheelchair... I want him to have fun and enjoy these sports, but i couldn't bear to lose him without reaching out first.... any advice?

January 3, 2008, 1:31 pm CST

Mattress Surfing

Ok while the branding is just stupid, the mattress surfing isnt that bad.  Im sorry that the young man died that they had on the show.  My think was the dummy was STRAPPED to the mattress so he would stay on.  I dont think the test dummy gave a real life aspect of the fun these teens are having.  The viedos that were shown showed the teens using some protection and hopefully after the show they will add some other forms, but I just dont see the danger.  I didnt see the driver of the car driving in circles that could lead to running over the rider, I saw that they had a spotter, and that they were having fun.  Im sorry I really dont think it was that awful of an activity at least they are sobber and not on drugs.

January 3, 2008, 1:31 pm CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Quote From: fallmills

These boys are in a hay field, seems to be somewhat responsible but what would be the differences in this and snowtubing???  There is no steering options there either but seems to be acceptable...
Completely agree! I just posted one at the same time titled: Mattress Surfing vs Water Skiing"....so confused why this is such a big deal when skiing and tubing are ok...thanks for seeing this point.

January 3, 2008, 1:33 pm CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

My son was recently diagnosed with juvenile diabetes(diabetes 1). he is 14 years old, the diabetes diet is one of the healthiest diets you can be on. i don't understand how these girls were getting fat. my son was not fat nor is he now, help me try to understand so this won't happen to him.
Suzanne

January 3, 2008, 1:34 pm CST

Thank you

Quote From: bellasammie06

i m a teenager my self and this stuf is ridicolous i would never ris my life on the back of a matress. a kid in my school died from a similar trend he went into a coma and died 1 week later
Thank God  a teenager who is smarter then all of the adults on todays show. Your parents should be proud they raised a responsible teen.  You will go far in life.

January 3, 2008, 1:35 pm CST

mattress riding

i was watching the show and the boys that they had on there from the matress surfing does watch and think out what they do. they seem like they r good boys and know how to not get hurt to bad with what they r doing. nowwwwww as for the other kid that his brother died they only thing that i have to ask IS WHY THE H- -L WOULD YOU GO THAT FAST DOING A DONUT WITH YOUR BROTHER ON THE BACK. now thats stupid at least the other boys Cody and the others have more since to not to do it . i have to boys 12 13 and i think i would rather let them hang around someone like Cody and them at least they know what to do and not do nothing stupid.and they has the parent with them and has since enought not to go do a donut while someone is on it . from a parent from ohio.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last