Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 3, 2008, 1:39 pm CST

A lawsuit in the making

Quote From: dspringer57

Like some others, I had never heard of this either...so, I did a little research on the internet.  I found out that in the movie "The Princess Diaries 2", that there is a "mattress surfing" scene. Kids see this stuff on TV and think it's ok to do. I wonder, do the parents think it's ok, too?....or that it's ok until someone gets hurt?

The one parent who says he helps rig the stuff up with his kid is in for a big lawsuit if anyone gets hurt they will just pull out the tape of this show in court and it's goodbye to everything t he owns.

January 3, 2008, 1:42 pm CST

Mattress Surfing

My 19 year old son and his 16 year old brother were on our farm, going around our hayride trail pulling each other on a refrigerator box behind the pick up truck. Older son was riding, hit a large ant bed and it threw him into a pine tree that had grown considerable since the last time they had looked at it.

The ironic thing is thatas my husband and I were leaving to go to a music practice session, we told them that we wanted it to marked down that we did NOT approve of this activity. It was dangerous and very foolish. They said,"You just go and play your little dulcimers."

About an hour later, we got a call and were instructed to meet them at the hospital. He had a very serious break in his femur. They had to put him in traction to align his bone back up in order to be able to put a pin in it. Then, after surgery, his oxygen levels were very low as he had a fat embolism. He has the steel rod in his leg to this day. He did say that when he hit, that he felt it in his spine. He does know how very lucky he was. Obviously, they haven't done that again.

Please don't do it!!

Judy P

January 3, 2008, 1:43 pm CST

OMG!!!

I cried watching the show about the young girl with diabetes. Where is her mother in all of this? If she is not being responsible it her mothers DUTY to shadow her and make sure she is safe! My 10 yr old daughter has diabetes and has had it since was 6 yrs old. She has a nutritionist that helps her know what the right foods are to eat. She also does competitive gymnastics to stay in shape. there are so many other ways a girl can be thin and still take her insulin. I feel that it  is her parents responsibility to ensure that she does that! My daughter wears an insulin pump and is proud of it! She controls her blood sugars and has a normal life doing it. its all in the training that takes place when they are diagnosed and how it is followd up on year after year.

January 3, 2008, 1:47 pm CST

branding

what i found funny about branding is that this was a fad in a segment of the gay community that deals with S & M. 
I think that this is a very dangerous thing to do and would never condone it for anyone.  All i can wonder is what are these people thinking.  Though i know that there are some more deep rooted problems that some of these people need to deal with.

January 3, 2008, 1:53 pm CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Quote From: brandyuflorida

Can someone please tell me how mattress surfing is ANY more dangerous than water skiing (or snow skiing for that matter)? Granted, these are kids without adult supervision, but how is hanging onto a rope behind a trunk on open land any different from holding onto a rope on water with 15 boats on a lake? Why was this never mentioned on the show? And why did Dr. Stork (aka: "The Bachelor" - love how that was left out now that Dr. Phil's son is in with his show) never mention this? Should we have all of our kids become overweight slobs playing video games in our homes in order to keep them away from 'danger'? It's pretty sad that this generation will never have the 'made up' childhood games that we had because of fear. If you are scared of your child mattress surfing, than don't let them water, nor snow, ski.  The WII is now available at Target.
The problem with mattress surfings is that it isn't restricted to empty fields. Where the greatest danger is landing face-first in a fresh cow-pie, perhaps? It's also done on busy streets. Where the mattress and its occupants could get run over. If you consider mattress surfing the only alternative to video gaming, you haven't got much imagination.

January 3, 2008, 1:54 pm CST

Not taking Insulin

I have been for 16 years. I am now 23 and have struggle all my life with my weight. I have been surrounded by skinny sisters and friends and had trouble already being the outsider with my diabetes. I hate taking my insulin, but I want to life my life to the fullest. I have transitioned my life into sports instead. I do strength competitions, triathlons, varsity swimming, boxing and play soccer. I work out up to 18 hrs a week and still do not lose the weight, but at least I can prevent the weigh gain. I understand what she is going being on this medication. I struggle with this everyday, but am glad I have not allowed this to go any further. What other options are there for girls our age. I can eat off my routine for 1 or 2 days and gain weight. I'm scared that I won't be able to keep this active all my life and eventually I will be overweight.

Diabulemia

The show today  on this little girl is so heartbreaking.  My 16 year old daughter is also diabetic, diagnosed at 10 years.  Not too long ago she expressed concern over her life expectancy being shorter.  When Dr Phil was speaking to Krystin, she mentioned something about lack of hope.  I wonder is she isn't thinking the same thing my daughter did.  Please let her know that the life expectancy of a Type I diabetic is the same as a "healthy" person nowadays, with proper management.  Please encourage her to see a dietician and work with her Endochrinologist to find a different way to lose weight and hopefully gain some hope.  I hope her mother is able to get her the help she needs before it's too late.  She can have a normal life with good care. 

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

what i found funny about branding is that this was a fad in a segment of the gay community that deals with S & M. 
I think that this is a very dangerous thing to do and would never condone it for anyone.  All i can wonder is what are these people thinking.  Though i know that there are some more deep rooted problems that some of these people need to deal with.

January 3, 2008, 1:56 pm CST

There is help for diabetics wanting to loose weight

I have type one diabetes, diagnosed when I was 7. My heart goes out to you...always having to eat on a set schedule eating when your blood sugar drops even if you are not hungry. My biggest fear was getting fat.  I have had diabetes for over 20 years now and 2 healthy children. What saved my life is my insulin pump. You are able to eat only when you are hungry, don't have nearly as many lowes (which means less sugar/ candy) you have to eat. My hemoglobin A1Cs average in the 5 or 6s. Which is "normal. There is also a new medicine for diabetics which help you not have spikes in your blood sugars after meals and keep you fuller longer-Symlin. There are so many awesome ways to stay skinny and be healthy. My best friend was also a diabetic and her life story mimicked yours. She lost her baby, went blind during her pregnancy and died from kidney complications. PLEASE try some other options!!!

Alicia 

January 3, 2008, 2:00 pm CST

mattress surfing

Mattress surfing are you kidding me  that is just plain crazy I can't wait to hear what you have to say about this Dr. Phil.  I hope that you can help these teens Dr. Phil

See you on Thursday at 4:00 pm

HWilson 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last