Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 3, 2008, 4:01 pm CST

Thank God!

Seeing the kids on Dr.Phil's show today, makes me thank God my only child (a son) is all grown up & on his own.  :-)

January 3, 2008, 4:06 pm CST

Diabulimia

Diabulimia is a handy phrase, but this is not a disease, it is a choice.  Do you women know what you are doing to your families?  You are being horribly selfish.  You are destroying people around you, you are denying children a mother or a mother her child, you are using medical care that should not be necessary for you but is necessary for manhy people who would be tremendously grateful to have it and cannot get it.  So you can control your weight.  Big deal.  So you feel like this is the only thing you can control in your life.  Try doing something worthwhile instead.  You've got stress?  Who doesn't?  If you don't like living next door to your mother -- move!

Flight for life because you wouldn't take your insulin?  Someone in an accident could have died if they needed that service and it was not available because a spoiled brat wanted an "easy" way to control her weight.

Get over yourselves, take your insulin, and be grateful that you have it.  Quit whining that your insurance won't pay for coverage.  You are already costing them, and the rest of us who pay for insurance, a forutne.  Shame on you.

January 3, 2008, 4:07 pm CST

diabetic teen

What in the world are these teens and women thinking about by not taking their insulin? I am not insulin dependent and I was only diagnosed 2 yrs. ago. I knew from the start what was ahead of me, as my grandmother and half-brother suffered from diabetes as well. I keep track of my blood sugar and go into histerics when it's not what it should be. I fear going blind, kidney failure from this disease, so I am watching my blood sugar with diet and excercise along with medication.

These people need to have the "fear of GOD" instilled in them. They are lucky they have made it this far and aren't dead yet.

The parents need to take charge of these teens lives and either make them stick with it or else place them in a treatment facility since they are under age, and if that doesn't work it should be considered as suicide. They do not know how important it is to take this diagnosis very seriously and the damage it can do just to be "skinny." Life is very precious just to have someone take it away like these teens are.

WAKE UP PARENTS!!!!!

January 3, 2008, 4:08 pm CST

Diabolemia

Diagnosed at age 8, I have controlled my diabetes for the past 30 years.  I was horrified to have watched todays show.  While I was pregnant, each time, my glucose was controlled all through the pregnancy.  I shocked Canada's top obstetrics hospital but my fingers paid the price with up to 30 daily pricks.  Small price to pay for 2 healthy babies.  I was a diabetic before we had sugar-free anything and suffered much depression growing up, not understanding the main question - why me?  No diabetic is free, no matter how well controlled their glucose is, of major complications.  It's a matter of choice - how quickly do you want them to come on and how severe do you want them to be.  I call this disease the slowest killer on the earth, even slower than aids but not contagious.  I will die from it, that is fact.  When people talk of neuropathy, they kid themselves thinking it is only in their extremities.  It can occur anywhere you have a nerve.  Stomach, eyes, ears.  So if you've got it in your stomach, you can't digest your food anymore.  If it's in your ear, you can become deaf.  Who would want this?  Blindness, kidney failure, heart attack, stroke, amputation.  The stats are frightening.  One in eight goes blind, one in four has heart failure, one in eight has kidney failure, amputation.  Of those who have amputation, 50% die within 3 years.  My mother used to tell me as a child that 30% of my life has been cut.  Maybe it was an exaggeration but who would want to increase that number?

January 3, 2008, 4:08 pm CST

Easy to say coming from Dr. Phil

Wanted to comment about Katee the young girl who is diabulimic and Dr. Phil's advice to the mother.  The mother claims that in order to get her daughter the proper help being that insurance does not cover this type of illness, that she may have to sell her house in order to do so.. According to Dr. Phil, you do what you have to do.  Understandable coming from a person to where money is NOT an issue.  I'm not saying a parent isn't suppose to do everything they can in order to save a child as believe me.. If that was my only alternative, then yes.. one does what it takes.  However, Sometimes when Dr. Phil gives advice when it calls for losing all you worked so hard to have...  Dr. Phil does not have one iota as to what poverty can feel like.  Seems really easy for him to state coming from a wealthy person. Maybe I could feel differently if I heard Dr. Phil tell Katee what her illness is doing to her mother for the fact she may have to resort to selling her house.  It's really up to Katee and getting through to her as to what she is doing to her body and her family.  I've always enjoyed watching Dr. Phil and taking Dr. Phil's advice on many things.. but its not the first time I've heard Dr. Phil give advice to people to where Dr. Phil acts as if money should not be an issue.  A person to give such advice like I have mentioned.. should know what it feels like on both sides of the track instead of just one.. I really feel for Katee's mother and I pray she gets the help she needs without having to lose her home in order to do so.

January 3, 2008, 4:14 pm CST

I wished I could help you.

Quote From: lisaddot

Dr Phil:
I have a daughter who seems too be having the same problem as these young ladies. My daughter 1 year ago weighed 148 pounds. She seemed to be very healthy. She enjoyed running, was very active and outgoing. She started to loose weight and to date has lost 74 pounds that is exactly half of what her weight was. She wears a size 0 and that is very loose on her. She has been admitted twice in the hospital. They have ran test after test on her and still have not found out the answer. They are doing more test this month. My daughter had the same exact symptoms not to mention attitudes as the girl on your show. She is diabetic and only does her insulin when watched and her blood sugars are always high. Today when watching the show It was like seeing my daughter there only with a different face. My daughter however is a lot smaller, bones showing all over her body, no muscle, she has severe uncontrollable diarrhea now and I watch her wilt away day by day. My daughter is a young adult and it is out of my control to have anything done with her as far as treatment. I've exhausted all my finances trying to find help. I lay at night praying to God for answers and help.  I'm mentally drained. My son ask me why I never smile anymore, I feel as though I am dying  along with her. It's not fair to the rest of my family that I feel this way but it is what it is.
Dr Phil If you know of anything that can help her than please email me or call me. Please.
If anyone else knows of anything than please leave a message. Thanks so much.

My heart really goes out to you .... I hope that Dr. Phil reads this or someone out there who could possibly help does contact you.  My thoughts and prayers are with your family!!

January 3, 2008, 4:31 pm CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Quote From: dolphinchula22

YEA, ITS OK CAUSE YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS ARE STILL ALIVE, BUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO SAY AND DO WHEN YOUR LUCK RUNS OUT AND ONE OF YOU GUYS DONT MAKE IT... WILL IT BE OK THEN????

Luck is nothing to bet on, I calculate and plan for problems. I don't hope and pray that things will go right. If they do I know I did everything I could. If in hindsight it was a bad idea so be it, but hindsight is 20/20

January 3, 2008, 4:36 pm CST

Branding not for humans?

Quote From: carolynx12

Isn't branding  for cattle. NOT humans. But I've heard of animinals being smarter than humans. These people who brand themselves have way too much free time to think of STUPID stuff to do. If it is to make a statement in life OK you made it lets stop now. before it gets out of hand and turns into a new fad of self mutalation.

Wasn't tattooing for marking prisoners, and Concentration camp inmates too? there are many tribes that still preform all kinds of scarification as part of their culture. Why can't we in America, whos only culture is consumerist, have those that adopt or build their own culture which includes these forms of body modification?

January 3, 2008, 4:38 pm CST

DIABULIMIA

I cannot believe that your 2 guests today would think it is better to be skinny in a casket than have a few extra pounds and be alive to enjoy the rest of their lives. People will not come to their funeral saying "well at least she was skinny". Get a grip people life is not about skinny and fat.

January 3, 2008, 4:40 pm CST

Kaytee

I've struggled with wieght issues myself. I've tried fad diets, diet pills and everything else under the sun. The biggest thing that I learned is making the outside look pretty at any cost will not fix whats broken on the inside. If you are willing to die to be skinny you need to get serious help and for god sakes don't give up on yourself. You can recover and when you do you can help people that are going through the same thing you are.

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last