Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 8, 2008, 8:46 am CST

Diabulemia

I wished I had seen this show but have read the details and several of the posts.  I am a mother of a 22 year old who has been in treatment for the past 18 months for an eating disorder.  Before that it was cutting and suicidality.  She is a beautiful young lady but faces a long road ahead if she doesn't get to the bottom of her issues.  Oh, did I mention she was diabetic too?  She knows what she is doing to herself when she restricts her insulin and when she decides she doesn't want to starve her body of insulin she takes her shots and restricts her food.  What needs to be said here and maybe I missed it in the many posts is that it is about a body image but even more its about having control.  The individuals who suffer from this mental illness do not think rationally as we do.  People with eating disorders (even those who are incredibly skinny) do not see themselves the way others do.  Its like looking in a circus mirror.  My daughter does not feel like she has control over her emotions.  She does have control over her food intake and her insulin intake.  Good news, she seems to be getting better but its a battle that I believe she will always have to fight.

As for the 15 year old's mom, I believe she is doing what she can.  Unless you have walked a mile in her shoes don't for a minute criticize her.  I know, because with my daughter I am damned if I do and damned if I don't.  I love her, I support her, and will and still do anything for her if it means she will get well.  I have gone into debt to get her the therapy needed but bottom line is its not easy. 

Finally, an appeal to any professionals out there who deal with diabetes and/or eating disorders.  There are no facilities that I am aware of  and no professionals that I have heard of that deal specifically with diabulemia.  It seems to be common and really should be treated by individuals well versed in both specialties.  We need more people dedicated to diabetics with eating disorders.

January 8, 2008, 12:49 pm CST

Matress Stupid

These boys are young and never have had to deal with real health problems. I sat watching this in disbelief! You don't know how important good health is until you lose it. I am 24 years old and have a spinal disease that limits my life every single day. I would give anything for the health that these kids have. Seeing them test their fate with something as dumb as matress surfing...well that drove me nuts!

I hope that the parents have seen the show and realized how dumb it is to take your life and wellness into your own hands for 30 seconds of thrill. There are many other ways to get a thrill that don't test your health or other chance people's safety.

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud....I did stupid things  in my teen years and all of them are things I regret. Good luck to the kids out there in America...something new and "fun" surfaces every day.

January 8, 2008, 1:53 pm CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Quote From: lvlichaels

After 12 years as a insulin dependent diabetic I am so angry that these little girls have no remorse over the fact that they are not only ruining their own lives but the lives around them by electing to submit to the looks over health issues in their lives.  Even taking my insulin and following a diet exercise regiment rather closely I have found I can not control my sugar levels and have to test every few hours.   The fact that a reading of 600 should be enough to be able to have them committed to the hospital for their own safety as well as the safety of others around them.   Did they DRIVE to the taping at a risk of going into shock or even worse coma with the elevated levels that they are talking about?

Just because it is easy for one person, does not make it easy for the next. For these girls, it seems this is more of a control issue and an eating disorder. I have also had juvenile diabetes for over 10 years. This was a trend that I found out about through the best diabetic camp in Texas when I was 17 and I actually did this horrible trend for about a year. When I turned 18, my doctors put me on an insulin pump shortly after my rapid weight loss and then I blew up and got up to about 250 pounds...at this point, I was only taking insulin to keep me alive...I didn't take the insulin to level my sugars for what I ate. I still struggle with this and have a LOT of problems with it. I'd like to get pregnant with my husband, but that requires getting my blood sugars under control. It isn't as easy as you believe. I'm very well educated about juvenile diabetes and want to be healthy, but I remember how it felt to be 250 pounds...I remember having trouble breathing when going up the stairs and having high blood pressure. I'd do anything not to be that heavy. And the Drs have no answers. They say you do as everyone else to lose weight...that you should excercise and diet...I worked with a personal trainer for over 6 months and didn't lose a pound..even when I ate properly! With some people, it is surviving...either you control blood sugars and be morbidly obese or you keep them a little high and do what you can. The doctors don't realize that juvenile diabetics have a hard time losing wieght...the metabolism just is not the same. I presented this to my doctor...I was very upset when he got onto me a few months ago for having a hemglobin of 9.0..I tried to explain to him my fear of going above 250 pounds..when I am at 230 now. The goal is to get pregnant. If I control my sugars correctly, by the time I am pregnant, I will most likely be over 300 pounds..already being high risk, why would I do that? Doctors don't listen and what is worse, they have no idea about this diabulemia. For some, it is not just an eating disorder...there are no answers for juvenile diabetics...the professionals pretend to have answers and have nothing to help you....

Any responses are welcome...am I the only one having trouble with this issue?

January 8, 2008, 1:57 pm CST

Quote From: hiddentears

I wished I had seen this show but have read the details and several of the posts.  I am a mother of a 22 year old who has been in treatment for the past 18 months for an eating disorder.  Before that it was cutting and suicidality.  She is a beautiful young lady but faces a long road ahead if she doesn't get to the bottom of her issues.  Oh, did I mention she was diabetic too?  She knows what she is doing to herself when she restricts her insulin and when she decides she doesn't want to starve her body of insulin she takes her shots and restricts her food.  What needs to be said here and maybe I missed it in the many posts is that it is about a body image but even more its about having control.  The individuals who suffer from this mental illness do not think rationally as we do.  People with eating disorders (even those who are incredibly skinny) do not see themselves the way others do.  Its like looking in a circus mirror.  My daughter does not feel like she has control over her emotions.  She does have control over her food intake and her insulin intake.  Good news, she seems to be getting better but its a battle that I believe she will always have to fight.

As for the 15 year old's mom, I believe she is doing what she can.  Unless you have walked a mile in her shoes don't for a minute criticize her.  I know, because with my daughter I am damned if I do and damned if I don't.  I love her, I support her, and will and still do anything for her if it means she will get well.  I have gone into debt to get her the therapy needed but bottom line is its not easy. 

Finally, an appeal to any professionals out there who deal with diabetes and/or eating disorders.  There are no facilities that I am aware of  and no professionals that I have heard of that deal specifically with diabulemia.  It seems to be common and really should be treated by individuals well versed in both specialties.  We need more people dedicated to diabetics with eating disorders.

I don't know of anyone that deal with both and they insinuate(on the show) that the girls need in-facility treatments. I have been in those before and they didn't know what to do with my insulin pump. So I controlled it. At one point, they did try to switch me from the pump back to insulin shots while in treatment, Unfortunatley, most diabetics are more educated on their disease than the nursing staff and you can manipulate them easily...they just aren't educated enough to know. The nurses in those places don't watch that closely...it seems no one knows enough about these disorders...even though it has been common for over 15 years.

January 8, 2008, 2:02 pm CST

Quote From: maitreya005

My sister has had type 1 diabetes since age 5. She is in her late 20's now and has lost a significant amount of weight lately. We have been having problems with her for years with rudeness, narcisism, temper tantrums (even in her late 20's), and various other personality/social behaviors. Are complete irrationability, anger, rage, and temper tantrums associated with diabulimia at all? She's had a couple of surgeries that she mentioned occured last summer but when we asked about them were told it was "none of our damn business". Since she is an adult and we dont have access to her medical records is there anything we can do to get her medical attention or medically "committed"?
If she is losing weight, it is your first indicator that something is wrong. The second would be mood swings. I dealt with not taking my insulin when I was 18 and my "temper tantrums" and mood problems had  a TON to do with high blood sugars...in a sense, it almost caused bi-polar disorder. Be careful about controntation with her, though...we are touchy about people trying to control our disease...and if she has those high blood sugars, she is very likely to be irrational with you or anyone...unfortnatley, this is something she needs to deal with. Is she living with you and family? At 17, my mom had to kick me out because my mood problems and uncontrolled diabetes was affecting the family...it's not easy...

January 8, 2008, 2:07 pm CST

Quote From: faithegood

I seriously don't want to pass judgment because I don't walk in the shoes of either the mother or teenage girl that was on the show.  I do have to ask though why the mother is allowing this child to kill herself.  It the child was suicidal through other means than I feel certain the mother would do whatever it takes to prevent the act from occurring.  Therefore, can someone please help me understand why this woman doesn't control the child's insulin shots herself?  We have a parent and we have a child, yes a child.  It seems to me that since the child can't make responsible decisions, than the medical condition needs to be controlled by the parents.   How hard would it be to administer the shots to the girl? 

There are millions of diabetics walking around that control their diet, take their insulin and who aren't overweight.   

Dr. Phil said early on that he wanted to bring common sense back this year - immediate intervention seems to be of common sense here - control the freakin' shots yourself parents.  On-going intervention comes after you get the girl stabilized. 

On another note, I cannot imagine what it must be like to be the parent of a child that openly admits they would rather be dead than be fat.  That kind of thinking is directly in line with her youth; lack of experience, knowledge and maturity.  She (the child) needs to imagine her parents standing over her grave; better yet, let the child help plan her own funeral - that might be a shocking enough experience to draw some reality into this young girl's mind. 

If you are a parent yourself, this is one of those cases where you have to understand and it all comes down to...you can not watch what your child does 24 hours a day/7 days a week...the parents can not control anything...especially with a 15 year old girl and even if they tried, it would make it worse. At 13, my parents put padlocks on the fridge and locked up food in their closets...and I have juvenile diabetes...it seemed it made things worse. But once they are 15 and having their lives and going out, you cant monitor the insulin doses in school...the child unfortunatley has to take respsonsibility and grow up really fast...it has nothing to do with the parents letting their child die or kill themselves...it is not their choice...

January 8, 2008, 2:30 pm CST

A chance to help?

Quote From: cowgirlkath

HI...I would like to comment on the boys that mattress surf.  There is a local boy that is paralyzed from the neck down from doing this.  He slid under his brothers truck and was run over by it.  Unfortunately, since then, he has tried to commit suicide twice, dropped out of high school and now does not leave his house.  What a shame to waste a young life.  Please don't try this.
You said this was a local boy and he has tried to commit suicide maybe you could  visit him and his family.  I don't know anything about you but I just thought that if you had the chance and as this boy seems to be on your mind  it might  be nice if you offered some friendship to him.  I'm sure that his family would appreciate it .  Sometimes it's hard to hold out your hand but quite often it's rewarding.  He sounds sad, lonely and desperate-you could make a big difference- you might, literally save his life. 

January 8, 2008, 2:42 pm CST

you should be proud

Quote From: graysmom

I would like to reply to you by saying that I am a mom of one of the mattress surfers on the show and I wanted to let you know that my son is a three sport athlete (which means he practices at least two hours a day, five days a week), goes to church every week, reads his Bible just about every day, works 12 hours a week at a gas station, has good grades, is the student body treasurer, was elected homecoming prince, does chores around the house, is a great brother to his three brothers, and during his free time instead of laying around and being lazy or like we said, doing anything illegal, he is constantly making some kind of invention such as putting a weed whacker motor on a bike to make a motorized bike to ride to school etc. He made a steam engine that really works, made a homemade air conditioner, has built numerous forts and go karts, found a hurt pigeon and built a cage for it and nursed it back to health, etc. His current project is making a gas powered remote control and he has welded to together himself. He tried mattress surfing with his friends, filmed it and put it on You Tube and ended up being on the show. As his parents we do not feel that his behavior is questionable and we are very proud of our son and we are not trying to justify anything.

Thank you,

Mattress surfer's Mom

I think it sounds like your son is truly an amazing person.   A person who could really make a difference in this world.  But I still think that mattress sufing is dangerous and he should not do it.  A little fun is not worth the risk.  He sounds like he's the kind of kid that doesn't need that rush of adrenaline anyway or the need to be "famous" on You Tube.  He could someday grow up to invent, create or achieve wonderful things-why risk it for a joy ride?

January 8, 2008, 6:49 pm CST

Agreed

Quote From: fromthesquare

I agree with all of this but I would add that bringing your child on international television to get her help is "doing whatever it takes."  My point was that the family is still going to have to pay rent somewhere.  Selling your house is great but moving is expensive, rent is expensive. 

I hope Dr. Phil does help this girl.  That is the only reason that I could think of that this mother would go on the show.  Not for financial advice.

I absolutley agree with what you say - your are correct-rent or mortgage - the family will be faced with the expense. 

At the end of the day, going on the show was the best thing the mother could have done because if there is a resource available Dr. Phil and/or his team will find it.  I sure hope they do a follow up with the results being the girl being in treatment and taking her insulin. 

January 8, 2008, 9:20 pm CST

Diabulimia - You Can Recover

I am 43 now but when I was in my late teens/early 20's I had diabilimia.  It started very early with me.  Even at the age of 8 I discovered i could manipulate people via my diabetes.  None of us in the family adjusted very well to my diabetes (diagnosed when I was four).  My mother felt very guilty as she felt it had come from 'her side of the family'.  She had watched her uncle getting sicker and sicker from diabetes and eventually die because of it.  She could not understand how an 8 year old child would not stop wanting to eat 'normal' food. In those days, the 'diabetic diet' was very boring and awful.  In a way my diabetes became the outlet for what was a very disfunctional family.  There was a lot of physical and emotional abuse going on and I guess my outlet was my diabetes.  I hated doing injections as a child (we didn't have the wonderful plastipak syringes, only horrible blunt metal ones).  So it started there, I wouldn't do them.  Later as I learned how to 'manage' (or not manage) my diabetes, I would not do injections, give myself too much insulin, binge eat, starve.., everything a person could do, I did.  Yes I was overweight and I did learn to manipulate my weight by allowing my blood sugars to go to high.  By the time I was in my 20's, I was in and out of hospital every few days.  I had learned not only could i manipulate my diabetes to lose weight but being in hospital made me feel 'cared for'.., something I found difficult to resist.  By this time I was seriously ill, my body didnt' know where it was and my diabetes was madly unstable.  This stays with me til today.  Finally because I was doing a lot of lying and hated myself, I took a paracetamol overdose. Was convinced to return to hospital and realised that all the insulin manipulations was just another way of killing myself.  I decided it was time I took charge of my diabetes, rather than letting it take charge of me (there is no way u can control your diabetes with that kindof manipulation, it takes over your life and takes over you).  It was a very very long haul.  As I have said, my diabetes can still be unstable, which drives me mad.  I don't get on with doctors very well as they just don't seem to have a clue how to deal with diabetes that is unstable.  But I am VERY VERY lucky.., in spite of the way I mistreated myself I am amazingly healthy for someone who's had diabetes for 40 years.  But that is just luck.., with the way I treated it, I should have all sorts of problems.  But its luck I am very grateful for.  I have two wonderful children and a fullish life.  I still forget to eat when I get stressed (its not a conscious thing) so I still have problems.., no doubt about that, but i do battle with them successfully.  One thing is for sure tho,  I never ever skip an injection anymore as I just don't like the way a high blood sugar makes me feel.

I think the control issue is a major thing with diabetes.  Either u control it or it controls u, don't fool yourself about that.  There's no way to side step it.  And life with diabetes is still fun, just the same as anyone else's.  Its just a condition I happen to have. 

First | Prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | Next | Last