Message Boards

Topic : 01/04 New Year's Resolutions

Number of Replies: 32
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:59 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
How many resolutions have you made and then broken? Dr. Phil’s guests say they have big changes to make in the New Year, but they’re just not sure how to go about them. Jeni’s resolution is to stop talking so much. She’s lost jobs, promotions and even relationships because she just can’t keep her trap shut. Some of her friends say they haven’t gotten a word in edgewise in seven years! With a hand-held buzzer, Dr. Phil attempts to have a conversation with her. Will his immersion therapy have an affect on Jeni’s jabber-jawing? Next, James hasn’t eaten a vegetable in 19 years. He says he’d like to eat healthier, but he can’t avoid gagging when a green bean gets close to his mouth. Is there hope for the veggie-phobe? Then, meet a woman with a phobia of birds and feathers, and a teen obsessed with a celebrity. Can Dr. Phil help make their resolutions a reality? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 29, 2007, 10:49 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor New Phil Resolutions Year. Once again Happy New Year from me to your family. See you on Frida-

y Janurary 04th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.----------------------------------------------------------------

January 2, 2008, 5:55 am CST

Something tells me that this show isn't going to be serious.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those light hearted shows where there is advice along with chuckles and light cynicism.(possibly a real word I don't know.) This is one of those shows any one of us could be on because we all have little eccentricities-some probably a lot worse than others.

I know this woman who absolutely drives me nuts when I happen to run across her occasionally. She never has to take a breath when she is talking. I always get the feeling she doesn't give a hoot about anything I might have to add to the conversation. When her daughter got married a while back, when I would see her, she would go into excruciating detail about the wedding plans. I considered asking her one day how many farts were the bridesmaids allowed? If I couldn't manage to dodge her, I would almost have to walk away while she was still talking. At times I did.

The last time I saw her, she was telling me how her daughter and husband were living in and remodeling a landmark house somewhere. Down to the last board.

You know, I don't remember a thing about her daughter's wedding except the fact that they didn't invite the father's side of the family to the wedding. (The father of the bride) She said it was too expensive because of the cost of the reception. I swear, I thing she was ashamed of them, because they are just simple outspoken country folk. Her son-in-law is from England.

I will watch this show in the frame of mind that it is intended to be.(At least, IMO)  Light hearted and possibly taken with a grain of salt.

January 2, 2008, 5:00 pm CST

Victoria's Anger...medical reason ?

I do hope that someone suggests to Victoria that she have a complete medical workup to make sure that her anger is not a manifestation of a medical problem.  There is a specific area of the brain that controls anger and impulses.  A benign tumor in that area could bring out unreasonable anger and that anger could grow as the tumor grows.  I'm assuming that a tumor in her would not be malignant since she doesn't appear to have any other physical deficits.  It might also be worthwhile to have her hormones tested and the relative female physical processes that could affect hormones.  It seems logical to me, especially in the face of such intense anger, to rule out physical causes.

January 4, 2008, 4:43 am CST

Jill on her goal of losing that 200 pds!

Hey Jill I want you to know that you are not alone in this world.  I was an boredom, emotionally overeater and I started with Dr.Phils book, joined a program to change the way  I ate and that would teach me good eating patterns in June 06, Well Ive gone from 357 pds not too far from where you are now to 227 pds. I had to deal with first the old saying of its not what your eating.. its what is eating you. Which I was a sexual abused survivor that I never did deal with until the day I woke up and decided Im Sick sick sick of pain, not being able to join in the crowd, have fun etc.   I am proof that you can do this , that you can eat very well and that you can exercise and move your body.  Praying for the will and determination in you to succeed.  I saw that pain in your eyes on the show and I really know how overwhelming it feels to think about losing 200pds, You can and will do this.. Give yourself the peace of mind to take it full on. Im excited to see your progress.  You can email me for support anytime. I will reach my weight loss goals this year and Im  waiting to see you again on the show and how great you will look and feel... Dede in Texas

January 4, 2008, 6:07 am CST

New Year's Resolutions

New Year's Resolutions are bunk.  People make New Year's resolutions only to give up on them by the end of January.  If someone truly wants to change something about themself they do it when they are ready.  They don't wait until New Year's just to make a resolution.

January 4, 2008, 7:43 am CST

N.Y. Resolutions

I'll have to admit that I was a bit surprised by the way the woman trying to stop smoking was handled.  I've been a smoker for 24 years and not a day goes by that I don't rue the day I started smoking.  I've used the patch, gum, hypnosis and recently used the prescription Chantix.  That worked for 30 days.  But the comment about the first 7 or 8 days will be tough was WAAAY off base.  I can tell you from experience that day 30 was much worse than day 8.  It's a constant craving that makes it difficult to concentrate on anything, there's this taste that is always in your mouth no matter how much water you drink and the closest thing I can compare it to is...If you had gone 3 or 4 days without water and were dying of thirst and all you had to do was stop at a gas station or super market and buy a ...perfectly legal...bottle of water how long could you hold out.  That's the problem.  It wears you down. 

My doctor told me that it takes up to 90 days to get past the cravings.  I'm sure when I can last 45 or 60 days it will start getting easier ...and I will try again.  He also said that nicotine is more addictive than cocaine and I haven't seen you telling coke addicts to just quit.

My doctor told me to use the Chantix and 1 and 1/2 patches for at least 30 days then decrease slowly until using no more patches.  That this was my best chance of success.  Before, I had also been told that after a week it would be much easier.  I guess it must differ for different people.

I have to tell you that I do love your show and respect the no-nonsense approach you take with your guests and the subjects you discuss.  Just have to differ on this one.  Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to Jay's new show.

Happy New Year.

January 4, 2008, 12:05 pm CST

01/04 New Year's Resolutions

Quote From: phelinephemale

I do hope that someone suggests to Victoria that she have a complete medical workup to make sure that her anger is not a manifestation of a medical problem.  There is a specific area of the brain that controls anger and impulses.  A benign tumor in that area could bring out unreasonable anger and that anger could grow as the tumor grows.  I'm assuming that a tumor in her would not be malignant since she doesn't appear to have any other physical deficits.  It might also be worthwhile to have her hormones tested and the relative female physical processes that could affect hormones.  It seems logical to me, especially in the face of such intense anger, to rule out physical causes.
 Heavy metal toxicity could also be behind her outbursts.

January 4, 2008, 12:05 pm CST

New Year's Resolutions Silly....

New Years resolutions are SILLY. If someone wants to change and is READY to change, s/he will. It won't have to be on day that's special to the calendar.

I used to smoke 11 packs a week. I quit when I got a very bad sore throat (and not long before I got pregnant). For two years I HAD to keep a pack of cigarettes under my car's driver seat "just in case." I haven't smoked since I quit in 1993, although I still get cravings whenever someone walks by me smelling like a Marboro Light!!!

My CHILDREN is what keeps me from smoking again; I OWE IT TO THEM not to smoke. A parent cannot be a good role model just by saying "Don't Smoke." A parent saying that with a ciagarette hanging from his/her mouth is a fool. I didn't want to be a fool. And getting cancer KNOWING the risks of smoking wasn't an option for me.

When people want to change, they'll change. Nobody can make someone change or want to change. I haven't made a New Years resolution in decades and never will...

God bless us all in 2008; may we all make the decision to be healthier, happier and do MORE for others less fortunate!

January 4, 2008, 12:09 pm CST

Here a birdie. There a birdie : )

Quote From: housewife52

You know, according to the movie "The Birds", (is that the name of it?) if enough birds meet up in one place, they will peck your eyes out. Actually I like birds too, I like the sounds the babies make in the nests. I do find the blue-jays to be kind of aggresive with the other birds at the feeder.

I thought I HATED birds. However, 97 year old Mary is in an assisted living facility. She has a 13 year old bird (beautiful....white, light gray, yellow with bright orange "cheeks"). I visit the two of them a couple times a month to bring Mary communion.

One day I decided to conquer my fear (and distain) and go near "MAX." Max immediately "talked" to me and then bent his head down so I could pat his head. We now have a "relationship" and I ADORE Max. If I can like a bird and no longer fear one, ANYBODY can!

All animals are God's special creatures and all have a purpose. We truly live in a beautiful world, but it's what we make of it....

January 4, 2008, 1:00 pm CST

silence is golden

I am a talker too. I have anxiety and I used to hate the awkward silence. I have had VOS --VOW OF SILENCE written on my hand to remind me to be quiet. Meditation has helped alot! I have learned a lot about the use of words. Boys only listen for 4 seconds. The more I talk the less I'm heard.

I'm glad that she is getting the help she needs and that you were so gentle w/her. I think she has a great

personality and I hope she can find a career that suits her. I recently found this and it resonated w/me.

Under all speech that is good for anything there lies a silence that is better.

Silence is deep as eternity Speech is shallow as time.

I honor the silence in my life allowing myself time for reflection

I honor the silence of others when they need peace or rest in my presence, or when they struggle for words. I listen into the silence for the words not spoken. I allow silence in my conversations with others so that they can say what they need to say without haste or interruption.        Thomas Carlyle

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last