Message Boards

Topic : 01/04 New Year's Resolutions

Number of Replies: 32
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:59 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
How many resolutions have you made and then broken? Dr. Phil’s guests say they have big changes to make in the New Year, but they’re just not sure how to go about them. Jeni’s resolution is to stop talking so much. She’s lost jobs, promotions and even relationships because she just can’t keep her trap shut. Some of her friends say they haven’t gotten a word in edgewise in seven years! With a hand-held buzzer, Dr. Phil attempts to have a conversation with her. Will his immersion therapy have an affect on Jeni’s jabber-jawing? Next, James hasn’t eaten a vegetable in 19 years. He says he’d like to eat healthier, but he can’t avoid gagging when a green bean gets close to his mouth. Is there hope for the veggie-phobe? Then, meet a woman with a phobia of birds and feathers, and a teen obsessed with a celebrity. Can Dr. Phil help make their resolutions a reality? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 4, 2008, 1:37 pm CST

01/04 New Year's Resolutions

I have to say I thought Dr. Phil was possibly overreacting to the girl who liked the rock star. This has been going with girls for centuries. And nobody picks on boys for having interests and obsessions. The only reason this would be a bad thing is if the girl was doing badly in school or lacking future goals. All Dr. Phil could talk about was that the girl needed a boyfriend--which I found rather insensitive.

January 4, 2008, 2:59 pm CST

resolutions

I thought Dr. Phil was a little off base joking that the teenager needed a boyfriend. But - I think he was trying to get her to lighten up - to see that she needed to have some 'reality' come into play. I'm concerned that our society does idolize celebrity too much and kids sometimes do tend to create this weird warped image of what their life is going to be like and not really with a set of goals or a plan to get there.

The Talker - OMG I wish my friend and my husband would have both seen this woman! They might be able to relate. As I'm aging I'm finding it harder and harder to be patient with the constant talker. I just want to scream SHUT UP! And if you try to get a word in edgewise you better not pause for effect or they change the subject and take over. What a wonderful thing that the woman is making her New Year's Resolution! BRAVO

I'm afraid I wasn't so specific with my plan. Ditched the diet idea and went with 'Be a Better Friend' - didn't really have a plan for it until today. I think it's going to involve LISTENING better. : )

January 4, 2008, 3:05 pm CST

The lady that talked alot

My husband isn't as bad but he does love to talk. Someone said that my husband has never met a stranger. This is true because he will talk to anyone.

January 4, 2008, 4:00 pm CST

jeni, you have been blessed,

with an enlightenment. many people never become enlightened. many of those who do, have to work very hard for enlightenment, many spend much money and time in therapy for it. many are blessed with revelation enlightenment's. most experience some or more than one of these ways.   i speak from experience  having been enlightened myself in many  areas  and in very many ways, with many more to come, i hope.  i found  some enlightenment's that  hurt before i realized it was a blessing.  discovering my  character defects and  personality flaws  sometimes caused low self- esteem, embarrassment, and  shame. i think it is  normal to feel this way when seeing something in ones self that they are unhappy with or don't like. at times i thought,  how can i face anyone now?. i knew that  allowing so much negativity to freely roam within me was not good . taking time to laugh at myself was good for my soul. the next step in enlightenment for me is to change. i do things  o help me.. i tell my family and close friends about my revelation. i ask them to help me by telling me when they notice it and i don't. i talk to myself. in a lighthearted i brought it up to others laughing at myself and asking for the to ump in kindly if hey "caught"  me.  i have to stop in the middle of the old and incorporate the new.  (very hard for me to do at first).  before long i'm living in the light. i had to stop being  angry with myself when i stumbled or fell. i had to treat myself the same way i  treat my best friend . at fist it was hard to not wallow in the shame. time, practice, and patience,  filled me with positive power and energy.  i am closer to being more acceptable to me and to the universe.  some change is gradual and difficult. some change quick and easy. some completely forgotten till  much later. gratitude  for being  blessed with enlightenment  comes to pass just as all else does.  that is until the next  time i am lucky enough, or i have worked hard enough or until i am again blessed  with enlightenment. perhaps with seeing  myself as others see me  or seeing something in myself that  i do not like and can change. to see something in me that i like and others like. to have my mind expanded. my spirit lifted.  when i am enlightened of my positive self  i am doubly blessed. good luck Jeni. we all have areas in us that we do not like or that others do not like. the enlightenment is when we become aware of it. what we do with the awareness is up to each of us.  i can please some of the people some of the time. i will never please all of he people all of the time.

January 4, 2008, 4:40 pm CST

Mrs Donny Osmond Here!!

Quote From: herald7

I have to say I thought Dr. Phil was possibly overreacting to the girl who liked the rock star. This has been going with girls for centuries. And nobody picks on boys for having interests and obsessions. The only reason this would be a bad thing is if the girl was doing badly in school or lacking future goals. All Dr. Phil could talk about was that the girl needed a boyfriend--which I found rather insensitive.

I was going to marry Donny Osmond when I was a teen.  I was even going to become a Mormon when I heard in a teen mag that he would never marry outside his religion.  I drove my parents nuts but it helped me through some rough teenage years. 

January 4, 2008, 6:59 pm CST

Mrs. Bobby Sherman, present, as well!

Quote From: fromthesquare

I was going to marry Donny Osmond when I was a teen.  I was even going to become a Mormon when I heard in a teen mag that he would never marry outside his religion.  I drove my parents nuts but it helped me through some rough teenage years. 

Good Lord! I lived in the back woods, 8minutes from the beach! It might just have well been 8 hours, back then! I was going to become Mrs. Bobby Sherman and become….a...um.....Californian! At least, I believed that I would, unless, of course, my clever identical twin sister snatched him from my grasp.

I believe that fantasy saved me in a way. It beat the living Day-lights out of my daily reality! At 16 I couldn't change my day to day reality. Fantasy, that there would be a picket fence with stable  people to share my life with, kept me going!

Real Boyfriends- with additional real problems -were at the very bottom of my priority list!

January 4, 2008, 9:21 pm CST

Homeless Father Who Checked out of Life

Well I usually like the advice that you give your guests, but the young lady and her mother regarding the homeless father and the loss of his son, well I think the father is a whole lot healthier than his daughter.  And I do believe that his wife cheated on him and made the child very bitter about her father.  She'll never know what turn life might throw her.  Or how she would handled it she should have embraced her father and just been glad to see him.  I really could not stand her arrogance and could not feel sorry for her.  The mother just set back and enjoyed it.  I can tell by the way that this man has no animosity yet he still put himself in the line of fire.  We all have hard roads to walk in life and you just never know how they turn.  Something shattered this man to make him leave.  Always trace your steps back to the beginning.  It may be the last time she'll have the opportunity to say I love you, or I'm sorry and please come home.  I believe this show aired last year and I was just as ticked.  Thank You

January 4, 2008, 11:31 pm CST

01/04 New Year's Resolutions

It is one thing to fantasize and another to be DELUSIONAL about something. As a teen I had many fantasies to escape reality but I in no way ever believed them to be real. This girl actually thinks that if she tries hard enough that she will get this guy. She has no idea about who is as a person.I still have a huge crush on Adrian PAul from Highlander but I will not try to find out where he lives and try to see him and be with him. I know that I have zero chance with him anyway.

I think teenagers need to wake up and realize that there little crushes in high school are nothing. I do not believe in high school ramances because 9 times out of ten they do not work. Why is there this need to have a boyfriend when you know it will not last anyway. Teenagers need to see things the way they are and realize that it is more important for them to find out who they and whay they want to do with their lives before worrying about some guy that will not matter to them in a few years anyway.

January 5, 2008, 9:29 am CST

well if they are consided human being then why do they go around hurting women

Well, that is definitely true. It's not good to put men (or women) on pedestals. ;)

January 5, 2008, 9:52 am CST

huh?

Quote From: moodymitzy

It is one thing to fantasize and another to be DELUSIONAL about something. As a teen I had many fantasies to escape reality but I in no way ever believed them to be real. This girl actually thinks that if she tries hard enough that she will get this guy. She has no idea about who is as a person.I still have a huge crush on Adrian PAul from Highlander but I will not try to find out where he lives and try to see him and be with him. I know that I have zero chance with him anyway.

I think teenagers need to wake up and realize that there little crushes in high school are nothing. I do not believe in high school ramances because 9 times out of ten they do not work. Why is there this need to have a boyfriend when you know it will not last anyway. Teenagers need to see things the way they are and realize that it is more important for them to find out who they and whay they want to do with their lives before worrying about some guy that will not matter to them in a few years anyway.

WOW! Could that Freudian slip have been any bigger?   What happened with your teen relationships?

Every teen needs to go through these boyfriend/ girlfriend experiences and crushes on classmates, it is natural and an important part of human development!   Otherwise you might. end up with an adult who at the stage where theirs peers are marrying, is too immature to cope.

And as far as teen love relationships not counting for anything, have you ever heard of anyone marrying their high school sweetheart?

As far as crushes on celebrities, they are normal but you should let them get out of hand to the point where you aren't able to have a romantic relationship with a person who is actually within your reach.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | Next | Last