Message Boards

Topic : 01/04 New Year's Resolutions

Number of Replies: 32
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:59 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
How many resolutions have you made and then broken? Dr. Phil’s guests say they have big changes to make in the New Year, but they’re just not sure how to go about them. Jeni’s resolution is to stop talking so much. She’s lost jobs, promotions and even relationships because she just can’t keep her trap shut. Some of her friends say they haven’t gotten a word in edgewise in seven years! With a hand-held buzzer, Dr. Phil attempts to have a conversation with her. Will his immersion therapy have an affect on Jeni’s jabber-jawing? Next, James hasn’t eaten a vegetable in 19 years. He says he’d like to eat healthier, but he can’t avoid gagging when a green bean gets close to his mouth. Is there hope for the veggie-phobe? Then, meet a woman with a phobia of birds and feathers, and a teen obsessed with a celebrity. Can Dr. Phil help make their resolutions a reality? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 5, 2008, 11:43 am CST

phobias of animals, creatures, etc

when i heard the story of the lady who was afraid of birds, i was glad i was not alone.  i have the same fear, but of roaches.  not the little one, but the big flying one that live in moist climates.  i do believe that they know i am afraid and purposely attack or swarm.  i have had several play dead on their backs, and then when i get the courage to scoop them up, the flip over and start running. lol. i truly believe they can sense it and act on it for fun.

January 5, 2008, 12:48 pm CST

01/04 New Year's Resolutions

Quote From: herald7

I have to say I thought Dr. Phil was possibly overreacting to the girl who liked the rock star. This has been going with girls for centuries. And nobody picks on boys for having interests and obsessions. The only reason this would be a bad thing is if the girl was doing badly in school or lacking future goals. All Dr. Phil could talk about was that the girl needed a boyfriend--which I found rather insensitive.

I totally disagree.  I don't think he was serious enough with her.  There is a huge difference between an interest and an obsession, and if a boy was acting that way about a female celebrity you can bet he would be scrutinized a lot more seriously than the girl was. 

This little girl has a serious problem.  She really believes there is a 50% chance she's going to end up as that rock star's girlfriend, and she's 16 years old!  She's not 10 or 11 - she should be way past that kind of thinking.  She doesn't have a real social life because of her obsession.  I think she needs psychiatric help!  If she was my daughter I'd get her in some counseling right away. 

January 5, 2008, 1:58 pm CST

01/04 New Year's Resolutions

Quote From: lovingone

WOW! Could that Freudian slip have been any bigger?   What happened with your teen relationships?

Every teen needs to go through these boyfriend/ girlfriend experiences and crushes on classmates, it is natural and an important part of human development!   Otherwise you might. end up with an adult who at the stage where theirs peers are marrying, is too immature to cope.

And as far as teen love relationships not counting for anything, have you ever heard of anyone marrying their high school sweetheart?

As far as crushes on celebrities, they are normal but you should let them get out of hand to the point where you aren't able to have a romantic relationship with a person who is actually within your reach.

I had teenage crushes but hardly any real boyfriends. I thought it was pointless to be seriously involved with a person who I was not going to be with very long. I used guys as a way to go out and see movies and do the fun dating things but I was never serious. Besides teenage guys usually only really want one thing. I did find myself more attracted to older men because they were more mature, but still had no reall serious relationship until I met my husband.

About people who marry their high school sweetheart, they usually end up in divorce. I know that some work out but not very many.

January 5, 2008, 3:51 pm CST

Hello Jill

just wanted to encourage you to continue to hang in there and to reach your daily goals. I did indeed my goal for yesterday and today. one small step for me, wtih great results at the end of one year if i go one day at a time. i think you are very brave going on tv and basically drawing a line in the sand with yourself.

i will post tomorrow. have a great weekend.

newme2008

January 5, 2008, 8:43 pm CST

smoking

Quote From: jeffersd

I'll have to admit that I was a bit surprised by the way the woman trying to stop smoking was handled.  I've been a smoker for 24 years and not a day goes by that I don't rue the day I started smoking.  I've used the patch, gum, hypnosis and recently used the prescription Chantix.  That worked for 30 days.  But the comment about the first 7 or 8 days will be tough was WAAAY off base.  I can tell you from experience that day 30 was much worse than day 8.  It's a constant craving that makes it difficult to concentrate on anything, there's this taste that is always in your mouth no matter how much water you drink and the closest thing I can compare it to is...If you had gone 3 or 4 days without water and were dying of thirst and all you had to do was stop at a gas station or super market and buy a ...perfectly legal...bottle of water how long could you hold out.  That's the problem.  It wears you down. 

My doctor told me that it takes up to 90 days to get past the cravings.  I'm sure when I can last 45 or 60 days it will start getting easier ...and I will try again.  He also said that nicotine is more addictive than cocaine and I haven't seen you telling coke addicts to just quit.

My doctor told me to use the Chantix and 1 and 1/2 patches for at least 30 days then decrease slowly until using no more patches.  That this was my best chance of success.  Before, I had also been told that after a week it would be much easier.  I guess it must differ for different people.

I have to tell you that I do love your show and respect the no-nonsense approach you take with your guests and the subjects you discuss.  Just have to differ on this one.  Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to Jay's new show.

Happy New Year.

I just wanted to make a quick comment about some of the things you mentioned about quitting smoking.  I've been there and done that.  I smoked about 1 pack a day for 15 or so years and I can tell you every day I smoked I was sorry that I ever started and terrified that I'd never be able to quit.  Finally after cold turkey, patch, gum, etc I went to the doctors and was perscribed meds that are usually perscribed for depression.  At the moment I'm drawing a blank on the name but it worked.  I haven't smoked in over 6 years.  The meds were awful.  They made me feel like someone I didn't even know.  I didn't care about anything when I was on them.  Basically they made me to darned lazy to go out and smoke.  I was suppose to take the meds for 6 mos and ended up only taking them for 2 weeks because that's how long it took me to quit.  After I quit smoking I just couldn't take the meds anymore.  They made me feel wrong.  Anyway they did their job.  The biggest things I found when trying to quit were that the patch and gum just don't work.  It just changes where you're getting your nicotine from and not helping you to not want to smoke.  With the meds it actually took the craving away because I was just to lazy to do anything.  I did find that I had to set a specific date though or I just hadn't committed in my mind.  As far as the cravings when you finally do quit, don't think there is a magical time frame to make that go away.  I still have dreams that I'm a smoker and when I wake up it feels very real and then I feel guilty because it was so real that I feel like I smoked.  My everyday cravings were better after about 6 mos but there are still things that bring it on after all this time.

So, all I have to say to those of you who want to quit smoking good luck.  You'll feel good once you do it but it's probably one of the hardest things you'll do and don't let anyone fool you about that or make you feel bad if you have 1 or 2 here and there.  Good luck and stick with it.

January 6, 2008, 7:57 am CST

Jeffersd:

Just so other posters are aware (I am sure your doctor told you) you should not smoke while using patches.  Especially 1 1/2 patches.  With Chantix you are supposed to keep smoking and it blocks some of the nicotine absorption.  Slowly you crave less and less cigarettes until you have quit.  With the patches it is replacing the nicotine in your system and you are not supposed to smoke while wearing them as it will overdose the amount of nicotine in your system.  I am sure that you did not smoke, use chantix AND the patches- right?

January 6, 2008, 9:38 am CST

Happy Sunday

hi jill,

i hope you are succeeding with your daily goals. I hope i can continue to keep u my daily goals as the days and weeks go by. i did meet my activity goal for today.

newme2008

January 7, 2008, 3:14 pm CST

Funny!

That was so funny when Dr. Phil kept hitting the buzzer when the woman who talked a lot was saying too much.

January 8, 2008, 4:53 am CST

happy tuesday

hi jill

i had a good monday. i hope you did as well.i will post tomorrow,please let us know how u are doing.

January 12, 2008, 5:51 am CST

Careful

Quote From: ramair

Go somewhere that's got a lot of pigeons. Sit on the ground. Throw some birdseed about three to five feet from you. Then, keep dropping it closer and closer. Until it's right next to your hand. Then, place your hand on the ground, palm up, with birdseed in it. Once they're wiling to eat from your hand, you can hold it up higher. It took me about 45 minutes.
My oldest son once got bird lice just playing with an infested nest.  The host of bird lice is BIRD but it sure bit him up alot before it moved on to our feathered friends.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | Next | Last