Message Boards

Topic : 06/25 "What's Age Got to Do with It?"

Number of Replies: 207
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 04, 2008, 02:11:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/10/08) As we age, we want to continue to feel and look young, but it helps to know a few secrets. Dr. Phil is joined by his wife, Robin, who reveals her tips for looking younger, feeling better and getting slimmer. She uses resources from her personal Rolodex to make over five moms who say they appear and feel older than they should. After visiting with a personal trainer, consulting with a skin care expert and working hard for a few weeks, the women are rewarded with a surprise trip to Robin's house. Find out the special gifts she presents to them. Then, Robin is joined by her daughter-in-law, Erica, and fashion guru Cojo for a shopping trip at L.A.'s popular store, Kitson, where she shows how to create hip, youthful looks for any age. With Cojo's help, Robin picks out outfits for the five women, and they reveal their new looks to their family members for the first time on Dr. Phil's stage! Don't miss Cojo's solutions for dressing disasters that add decades to your looks. Join the discussion.

In case you missed the article, click here for Robin's Budget Beauty Secrets that are inexpensive and can be made at home.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 6, 2008, 2:43 pm CST

May I say something?

First off, this will be a really good show for those who are into that stuff. I think it's a great idea that Robin is involved and interested in helping other ladies. It should be a real good feel good show. I understand that aging creates angst for a lot of people.

Having said that, I am 53 (my username is out of date) and I like myself the way I am. I DO wear make-up and I like to dress up once in a while. But I don't care about the wrinkles, or gravity,(I sometimes use my boobs to mop the floor), or varicose veins or anything else. I DO color my hair but I've been doing that since I was a teenager. I do my hair myself and right now it's real short and all I do is wash it and go. I DO look in the mirror, but not constantly. I wouldn't want to look younger and I hope that I get older and I don't care if the wrinkles and gravity and varicose veins completely take over, if my health stays pretty good.

January 6, 2008, 5:28 pm CST

Why the Shock

This generation  (the baby boomers) are "shocked and appalled" at the twenty somethings,   oh,  and teen girls  that are obsessed with their weight, anorexic  and have incredible issues with self esteem  and confidence.  If all of their  50 yr old mothers  are hyper-venitaling over a wrinkle,  at 50 yrs of age,  what on earth do you expect???    I do not pity  my generation,  but I have incredible remorse for the children raised by the Vanities of the Boomers.

January 6, 2008, 11:52 pm CST

Thursday's Show

Dr. Phil and Robin,

I can't wait to see your show on Thursday.  I am 57. I was a mother at at age 20, but also again at age 42. After my pregnancy in 1990, I developed a hypothyroid syndrome that caused me to gain up to 50 pounds in the past 15 years (Actually, I now need to lose about 70 pounds).  I also have rosacea.  I hope you cover something for that in the facial and makeup portion of your makeovers? My dermatologist told me to stay away from makeup; but, I feel that some people misinterpret my mood and/or emotions when my face reddens.  But, I do not have control of it or the horrible oil bumps that rise under my skin. People mistakenly think I am embarrassed or lying when my cheeks and forehead turn bright rosy red.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I have considered the new "Bare Minerals" makeup, but I don't want to feel like I am wearing makeup.  I stopped wearing makeup (including mascara) after my hysterectomy in 2000. Is there something out there for people like me?

I would be ever so thankful if you would address this topic at some time on Thursday's makeover show.

Thanks,

grannyj

January 7, 2008, 12:14 am CST

"Whats age got to do with it?"

Quote From: k7k6c7

What about the larger ladies?  Any makeover or shows with suggestions on how to improve your looks and self confidence have mainly chosen slim to average women.  Those of us who are 250 lbs or more (I'm 52 and closer to 300 lbs) have excessive "curves" that we would like suggestions on how to diguise until we can lose the weight.  In some cases we need our selfconfidence built up to even try the make up suggestions without making expensive mistakes (buying the wrong product and never using it). 

Some of the clothes suggested on these makeover shows run on the expensive side for the average person.  Comments like..."and her slacks from XYZ store are only $150 or $75.... not everyone can afford that much on a single item.  I am a single person and only work part-time so I'm doing good if I can afford $150/yr on new clothes shopping mainly at Walmart and Penningtons (in Canada) and only on sale.

Makeover shows; I just watch and dream, because that's all I can afford.  I hope Robin or one of her assistants read this post and think of us.

Linda

Jones Falls, Canada

"Some of the clothes suggested on these makeover shows run on the expensive side for the average person.  Comments like..."and her slacks from XYZ store are only $150 or $75.... not everyone can afford that much on a single item."

I am 57 an over 220, so I can relate to what Linda is saying.  I also can relate to the expense of buying new articles of clothing.  So, how can we take what we have and still look better or more confident? What about a show that covers heavier people without the wherewithall to buy new products or duds?

How about a show with "real" women on it?

grannyj

January 8, 2008, 9:36 am CST

Who has the money?

It's nice that Dr. Phil and Robin are doing a show on aging.....and I don't mean any disrespect when I say this. We are not all wealthy like Dr. Phil or Robin. Just how many women have the money to hire a personal trainer or a stylist? Who has the money to spend on expensive facial products? I certainly don't. When your wealthy like they are you can spend all kinds of money on looking younger. I was a  frequent user of Mary Kay, but $200 a month got out of hand. It worked, but I was going into debt. Now I just use Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer and it helps a lot. Not like Mary Kay, though. I also joined a health club, and they wanted $100 dollars an hour for a personal trainer.  Most women's pocket book don't allow them to splurge on expensive products or methods to staying younger.

I'm not bitter or angry, I'm just being realistic.

January 9, 2008, 3:14 pm CST

Great!

Quote From: housewife52

First off, this will be a really good show for those who are into that stuff. I think it's a great idea that Robin is involved and interested in helping other ladies. It should be a real good feel good show. I understand that aging creates angst for a lot of people.

Having said that, I am 53 (my username is out of date) and I like myself the way I am. I DO wear make-up and I like to dress up once in a while. But I don't care about the wrinkles, or gravity,(I sometimes use my boobs to mop the floor), or varicose veins or anything else. I DO color my hair but I've been doing that since I was a teenager. I do my hair myself and right now it's real short and all I do is wash it and go. I DO look in the mirror, but not constantly. I wouldn't want to look younger and I hope that I get older and I don't care if the wrinkles and gravity and varicose veins completely take over, if my health stays pretty good.

Good for you!  I love your outlook!  I tell myself my wrinkles are from smiling all the time! 

January 10, 2008, 3:58 am CST

01/10 "What's Age Got to Do with It?"

Quote From: bertguay

Hi,

I'm turning 50 next month. It is scaring me to death. I am feeling like I'm loosing my looks, etc.

Is there anyone out there that can give me some pointers on how to handle this thing of getting old. I'm just not ready for it. I feel like it's comsuming my every thought.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Stop focusing on the number (50) and get out and enjoy life.  Nothing drastic is going to change on your birthday, but if you continue to obsess on a number, you are going to be missing out on what could be a fun and very rewarding part of your life.  What are your interests? Pursue them. Get together with friends and family who have upbeat attitudes.  And again, forget about that number!!!  And Happy Birthday!

January 10, 2008, 4:18 am CST

01/10 "What's Age Got to Do with It?"

I've been reading alot of the messages on this topic and just wanted to comment.  Feeling good about yourself comes from within. You can be 22 and drop-dead gorgeous, but if you don't feel happy inside, it won't matter what is on the outside.

Some people have asked what they could do if they can't afford the clothes and makeovers on the show. I would say that you have to make the best with what you do have.  Keep yourself neat, hair combed and colored if necessary (I color my own and it looks fine).  If you need to lose weight, there are lots of inexpensive  or free ways to exercise such as walking. Most of all, do the things that bring you happiness.  Make time for this, it is important.  Surround yourself with cheerful people. Put a smile on your face; it's for free.

January 10, 2008, 6:54 am CST

Looks aren't everything, but they are something

I have been widowed for 4 years. In that time I have neglected my appearance.(inside and out) I have gained 25 pounds. I ate for comfort. I am now going to turn 50 this year. I am ready to start living and acting alive. I don't think there is anything wrong with caring about your appearance. You do not have to be obsessed with being beautiful, just feel good about the way you look. Beauty does come from the inside, but what's wrong with putting a pretty wrapping on it. I know I want to look and feel as youthful as possible for as long as I can. Life is short. Looking good is feeling good. It's a start. I hope that Dr. Phil and Robin can help me on my road to regaining my life from the inside out.

January 10, 2008, 7:39 am CST

Hit Home

I rarely get to watch Dr. Phil due to work.  Todays show was perfect for me.  I don't have the means to visit all of these places and change my wardrobe, but I so need to take care of myself. I am 51 overweight,  menopausal, sad and out of shape.  I recently lost 20 lbs. kept it off for 4 months, only to gain back 7 lbs over the holidays.  I have thyroid issues but I am on meds for them.  I feel guilty thinking  I need help, but I am not much help to anyone else  right now. either.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last