Message Boards

Topic : 06/25 "What's Age Got to Do with It?"

Number of Replies: 207
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 04, 2008, 02:11:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/10/08) As we age, we want to continue to feel and look young, but it helps to know a few secrets. Dr. Phil is joined by his wife, Robin, who reveals her tips for looking younger, feeling better and getting slimmer. She uses resources from her personal Rolodex to make over five moms who say they appear and feel older than they should. After visiting with a personal trainer, consulting with a skin care expert and working hard for a few weeks, the women are rewarded with a surprise trip to Robin's house. Find out the special gifts she presents to them. Then, Robin is joined by her daughter-in-law, Erica, and fashion guru Cojo for a shopping trip at L.A.'s popular store, Kitson, where she shows how to create hip, youthful looks for any age. With Cojo's help, Robin picks out outfits for the five women, and they reveal their new looks to their family members for the first time on Dr. Phil's stage! Don't miss Cojo's solutions for dressing disasters that add decades to your looks. Join the discussion.

In case you missed the article, click here for Robin's Budget Beauty Secrets that are inexpensive and can be made at home.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 10, 2008, 8:12 am CST

Diversity

I enjoyed the show and i can relate to a number of the ladies that were featured on the show.  However, I was concerned that there were no women of color involved in these makeovers.  We are unique in terms of skin issues, body type, etc.  I could have related and got more out of the show if a woman of color could have been featured on the show as well.

January 10, 2008, 8:26 am CST

Can I say something?!

Quote From: kimmy37

I wonder the same as you.  I am 38, have 4 kids ages 5, 8, 9 &19.  A 20 year old son-in-law and a 4 month old grandson.  Two years ago I weighed 130lbs.  Now I weigh 200.  I feel so old, frumpy & ugly.  I am so busy taking care of my family that I haven't changed my hairstyle in years and all my clothes are a size 7.  When I had lost my weight 2 years ago I got rid of all my "fat" clothes.  Now I am left with stretch pants and big t-shirts.  I would give anything to be picked for a makeover and for ideas on how to look "better" in clothes.  I don't think we will ever be picked because at the reveal, we will still be fat.  I'm going to try and lose weight again and fit back into my size 7.  My logo is "70 for 7".  Good luck to you and maybe one of these days us "chubby" women will get picked for a makeover.

I watch Dr. Phil on a regular basis. I am a stay at home mom, age 39 with 8 children. What it is that I am wondering is not about the overweight women but what about the women of color?! There was NOT one represented in the show today! You can not tell me that not one woman of a different ethnicity other than Caucasian has sent a video etc to be viewed by the team that choose the women to participate in this show.

I am an African American woman who will be 40 in April and the show was very inspiring BUT where are my sisters?  African,Latino,Chinese etc......

Are Caucasian women the ONLY women that age? Of course not ,but they are the only ones that get the privilege of being chosen to be on a show that gives expensive facials, workout treatments, limo rides and trips to Dr.Phil and Robins house! Are they the only ones watching their shows? I think not! They( whoever is in charge of the selection process) need to do a better job of representing ALL woman overweight woman, single woman, woman of color, and woman of different financial situations.

Although the show was interesting I was disappointed with the lack of representation of a variety of woman.

January 10, 2008, 12:40 pm CST

I hear you!!!

Quote From: stillwed

I lost a dear friend at age 53 also.  That is one of the reasons I don't mind turning 50 either.  My daughter had an "accountablity" group in high school that she has continued to meet with in her adult life.  Out of the 4 other girls in the group, one has lost both parents and a younger brother, and two have lost their dads.  All of these adults were in their early 50s.  Three were cancer related and one was a tragic car accident. 

I think after seeing all of this unravel I'll be even more thankful when I turn 60!  I just be thankful to MAKE it to 60 no matter how I look when I arrive.  We never know how much time we have on this earth.  We have to count every day as a blessing.  It doesn't mean that we don't stumble and struggle through many of those days at times.  It just means that we figure out what is truly important and we focus on that instead of what we can't change or have little control over. 

Ahhhhhh, “you can fool Mother Nature, you can’t fool Father time”. So, anyone who is going to be 40 or 49 or 100, just know that it’s going to happen. The trick is to fool Mother Nature. I don’t have a lot of money for the newest crèmes and potions, so I rely on the old standards. Cold Cream, Baby Lotions, clear nail polish ---sale this and that.  As far as the One Hundred Fifty Dollar slacks, try the discount places for knock-offs. It’s really the same thing, right?  It’s all about the hunt for me. Sweats and sloppy tee’s are OK if you are mopping the floor, but it doesn’t cost much  more to exchange those sweats for a nice cheepy  pair of Yoga pants, a tunic, scarf and flats.  Whether you are a size 2 or 22, you can still look pulled together on a budget. Expensive haircuts? Nooo Way! Go to the Quick Cuts place with wet hair and leave with a cute style for under fifteen dollars. Go hog wild and get a short-tossled look. If you have had the same hairstyle for 5 yrs, its time to change! If you don’t like it, it grows back, trust me!  I shop at the resale places (I love the hunt) and have left with a bag full of gems.  Some things work, some don’t, but a little this and a little that and I’ve been told at the high-end boutique where I work that I’m the most  stylish person there!   Another thing? Stand Up Straight and loose 15 pounds.

January 10, 2008, 12:49 pm CST

reality

Quote From: casondrab8

I watch Dr. Phil on a regular basis. I am a stay at home mom, age 39 with 8 children. What it is that I am wondering is not about the overweight women but what about the women of color?! There was NOT one represented in the show today! You can not tell me that not one woman of a different ethnicity other than Caucasian has sent a video etc to be viewed by the team that choose the women to participate in this show.

I am an African American woman who will be 40 in April and the show was very inspiring BUT where are my sisters?  African,Latino,Chinese etc......

Are Caucasian women the ONLY women that age? Of course not ,but they are the only ones that get the privilege of being chosen to be on a show that gives expensive facials, workout treatments, limo rides and trips to Dr.Phil and Robins house! Are they the only ones watching their shows? I think not! They( whoever is in charge of the selection process) need to do a better job of representing ALL woman overweight woman, single woman, woman of color, and woman of different financial situations.

Although the show was interesting I was disappointed with the lack of representation of a variety of woman.

Unfortunately shows like Dr Phil, Oprah etc do not really relate to the average man or woman in the street, in my opinion.

Only a certain percentage can go to the expensive hair salons, go to the upmarket stores etc.

How about showing as others have said....the average woman in the street...the fat ones who predominate...look around the audiences at Oprah and Dr Phil shows....not too many overweight or under dressed looking people in the audience are there.

Give people makeovers that dont cost a fortunet to maintain once you get home.   Buy clothes from Target/Walmart...not the flash clothing stores that people could never afford.   

January 10, 2008, 1:16 pm CST

WANT TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF???? Go out and help others less fortunate.

Since I've been volunteering with two charitable agencies AND bringing communion to 14 elderly residents, I could care less about make-up, fashion, my weight (except for health reasons), having 'stuff,' impressing others, etc.

AND GUESS WHAT? I am the happiest I have EVER been.

I have gained 110 since I married my rugged, handsome, compassionate, fun husband 18 years ago. We have a beautiful marriage, two super kids (who also volunteer) and I haven't put on makeup since the first time my husband (then my boyfriend) told me I was 'beautiful' and didn't need it. We are a tight couple, a tight family and life couldn't be better!

When we follow Christ's teachings and start GIVING back and not taking (while doing for others), we don't have the desire or energy to care about stupid stuff. We KNOW what is important.

May all of us  women who care so much about our looks and our clothing gain enough confidence and start doing things that help us to see that there's so many better things to do than to waste time on superficial things....

January 10, 2008, 1:20 pm CST

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Quote From: jeanettesd

This generation  (the baby boomers) are "shocked and appalled" at the twenty somethings,   oh,  and teen girls  that are obsessed with their weight, anorexic  and have incredible issues with self esteem  and confidence.  If all of their  50 yr old mothers  are hyper-venitaling over a wrinkle,  at 50 yrs of age,  what on earth do you expect???    I do not pity  my generation,  but I have incredible remorse for the children raised by the Vanities of the Boomers.

What a GREAT post!!!  Thank you.

I never thought about it until now, but my "beautiful" (heart & soul) mother never wore makeup and spent her free time raising money for charities. I guess I have followed in her footsteps without even realizing it!

May we all have better role models in our mothers (and fathers). Many of us seem to be sending unfortunate and irresponsible messages to our children/teens. They learn from our EXAMPLE, not from what we say.

Again, SUPER SUPER post. I am 45, so I am at the end of the "boomers," but luckily my parents were in their late 30's when they had me so I had the HONOR of having confident, mature, sound parents.....

January 10, 2008, 1:35 pm CST

Anyone can better themselves!

A lot of people have mentioned money or size as an obstacle and that doesn't have to be a factor. I am going to be 45 in March and I have been on my own make over journey for a couple of years. I have an auto immune disease called Sjogrens Syndrome which made me so sick I couldn't get off the couch. It also damaged my middle ear causing balance problems so I can no longer drive. Top that with being diagnosed with hypo thyroidism and you get the picture.

After a lot of weight piled on and I was over my pity party I decided that I was the only person with the power to change myself. I did a lot of research and started taking a handful of supplements. I began exercising at home using video tapes and hand weights. I developed an eating strategy that would help me lose weight and help lower inflammation in my body.

Today I am 40 pounds lighter and have 65 more pounds to go. I use walking tapes and can now walk the equivelent of 3-5 miles a day. My skin looks great and best of all, at my last doctor appointment my lab work was pristine. The marker they use to keep an eye on the inflammation caused by the auto immune disease was normal for the first time since I got sick 15 years ago.

As for dressing. I do love my sweats at home but I have learned how to dress to look great at any age and with any body. (I am a 16 now) I found a line of skin care products that work great, in fact, one of the top rated skin care lines is Oil Of Olay which can be bought on sale at the drug store.

If I can do this on a budget anyone can. Remember, if you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten. Make one goal each week and stick to it. Eat lots of fruits and veggies and drink lots of tea (I also use green tea) and do that for one or 2 weeks. After that add a 10 minute walk every day and some push ups and sit ups. Add to that every day. Once the weight comes off and you feel better from the exercise you can be more creative in picking inexpensive clothing out for your body.

You can do this. I know you can because I did!

January 10, 2008, 1:54 pm CST

Robin

Oh my goodness. I just watched the women Robin made over & it is so unreal wow. I wish Robin could make me over. I am 55 & look every bit of it if not older & I certainly feel older,no energy at all. I would love for her to make me over & wow I would love to meet her. I think she is  so special.

Sandi

January 10, 2008, 2:01 pm CST

aging

Hey, these ladies look great, but I'd like you to leave them on their own (no free subscriptions, etc.) and do a program about them 2 years later!  Personality and self esteem will out.

I'm 65, a retired school librarian and wife of a retired minister.  People often think I'm younger than I am, although I'm overweight and have very little money to spend on clothes.  (I do go to a toning salon several times a week to stay healthy and, in spite of the weight I'm in very good health.)   I could probably lose weight more easily if I went off the medication I take for seizures I had 10 years ago, but it's not worth the risk.

I live in an area where most of the ladies have much more money and "know how" than I do.  I'd like a complete make over (who wouldn't), but I like myself and I've learned that's more important than obsessing about my body.  I wouldn't trade places with most of my neighbors.  I earned my wrinkles living and laughing.  And even with my sense of humor I'm not sure I could stand a fashion consultation with the young man you had on the show anyway.  I'm sure he's very nice, but I'd like to change his wardrobe.

I have a wonderful husband, 2 great sons, 2 great daughters-in-law, 4 perfect grandchildren and 4 perfect step-grandchildren.  I stay active and I don't feel old. 

January 10, 2008, 2:09 pm CST

what is the program

I watched the show today, but when the last women came out they said they were going to tell us how she solved her problems with menopause-not sleeping, hot flashes and gaining weight.  Then all they did show Robin taking her to get her blood tested and then they said she "followed the program"  What did I miss what was the program I am desperate to get the answers!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last