Message Boards

Topic : 06/25 "What's Age Got to Do with It?"

Number of Replies: 207
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 04, 2008, 02:11:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/10/08) As we age, we want to continue to feel and look young, but it helps to know a few secrets. Dr. Phil is joined by his wife, Robin, who reveals her tips for looking younger, feeling better and getting slimmer. She uses resources from her personal Rolodex to make over five moms who say they appear and feel older than they should. After visiting with a personal trainer, consulting with a skin care expert and working hard for a few weeks, the women are rewarded with a surprise trip to Robin's house. Find out the special gifts she presents to them. Then, Robin is joined by her daughter-in-law, Erica, and fashion guru Cojo for a shopping trip at L.A.'s popular store, Kitson, where she shows how to create hip, youthful looks for any age. With Cojo's help, Robin picks out outfits for the five women, and they reveal their new looks to their family members for the first time on Dr. Phil's stage! Don't miss Cojo's solutions for dressing disasters that add decades to your looks. Join the discussion.

In case you missed the article, click here for Robin's Budget Beauty Secrets that are inexpensive and can be made at home.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 10, 2008, 2:12 pm CST

I choose to see the cup 1/2 full

Quote From: blueangel777

THIS WHOLE SHOW IS NOTHING MORE THEN A SLAP IN THE FACE TO THE HUGE MAJORITY OF WOMEN.  

THIS WOULD NOT EVEN HAPPEN TO ME  IN MY WILDEST DREAMS!!!

I DIDN'T WATCH THE WHOLE SHOW!!! 

I DON'T NEED TO FEEL ANY WORSE ABOUT MYSELF THEN I ALREADY DO!!!

I watched the entire show, quite eagerly...and enjoyed every morsel.

Exercise

Diet

Nutritional

Facial masks

Clothing ideas

All the things that one needs to get back from the frump to the foxey...

No-one knows where tomorrow will take them to...knowing what things are out there to help us take back that which gravity has removed from us...isn't a bad thing.

Love, Light and Peace

We Are All Blessed

Tonie

January 10, 2008, 2:14 pm CST

over 50

I just watched the Dr.Phil show with his wife Robin about how to look.  Most people do not have the money

to do what she did for the ladies.  I don't.  I glad Robin has the money to do those things for herself.

January 10, 2008, 2:19 pm CST

01/10 "What's Age Got to Do with It?"

That is right what others said about maintaining this regimen at home for these women.  I always thought Robin had the professional help with her looks and to maintain them.  How many women in middle America can get the same help?  We don't have the money or resourses.

Why not do a show on how to get the look on our salaries?  Because it's not possible?  I would love to get all the procedures Robin has access to but most do not. Get real with the women who watch you.  Why tell us to go to this doctor and that doctor.  Go to a salon or spa when we can't afford it?  Get help from a professional stylist to help us pick out the styles to fit our figure.  Oh please, we would be out a fortune.

Show us some products that will really help on our budget.  Fun show but not very realistic.

January 10, 2008, 2:19 pm CST

I have a feeling

Quote From: flthomcat

WANT TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF???? Go out and help others less fortunate.

Since I've been volunteering with two charitable agencies AND bringing communion to 14 elderly residents, I could care less about make-up, fashion, my weight (except for health reasons), having 'stuff,' impressing others, etc.

AND GUESS WHAT? I am the happiest I have EVER been.

I have gained 110 since I married my rugged, handsome, compassionate, fun husband 18 years ago. We have a beautiful marriage, two super kids (who also volunteer) and I haven't put on makeup since the first time my husband (then my boyfriend) told me I was 'beautiful' and didn't need it. We are a tight couple, a tight family and life couldn't be better!

When we follow Christ's teachings and start GIVING back and not taking (while doing for others), we don't have the desire or energy to care about stupid stuff. We KNOW what is important.

May all of us  women who care so much about our looks and our clothing gain enough confidence and start doing things that help us to see that there's so many better things to do than to waste time on superficial things....

My feeling is that if you knew all that Robin does behind the scenes of our television viewing eyes...it would shock you...

It is your perception that she is all about this or that...just like it is mine that she isn't all that you wrote about her.

Who is right and who is wrong and does it matter? 

I have the feeling that without all those extra stuff that Robin gets into, she is quite beautiful without them all...and I believe it is for us her viewers that she spent the time, a gathering it all up for us...I personally thank her...

For like Dr. Phil, she stays on top of all of the latest innovations (mind-body-spirit) and he on all of the latest idio mental processing...they are a great team.

I love them both.  I don't start my day without Dr. Phil and Robin and my cup of coffee...

God Bless Them Both

Love, Light and Peace

We Are All Blessed

Tonie

January 10, 2008, 2:25 pm CST

I am a Heniz 57 Variety and didn't get picked for the show

Quote From: casondrab8

I watch Dr. Phil on a regular basis. I am a stay at home mom, age 39 with 8 children. What it is that I am wondering is not about the overweight women but what about the women of color?! There was NOT one represented in the show today! You can not tell me that not one woman of a different ethnicity other than Caucasian has sent a video etc to be viewed by the team that choose the women to participate in this show.

I am an African American woman who will be 40 in April and the show was very inspiring BUT where are my sisters?  African,Latino,Chinese etc......

Are Caucasian women the ONLY women that age? Of course not ,but they are the only ones that get the privilege of being chosen to be on a show that gives expensive facials, workout treatments, limo rides and trips to Dr.Phil and Robins house! Are they the only ones watching their shows? I think not! They( whoever is in charge of the selection process) need to do a better job of representing ALL woman overweight woman, single woman, woman of color, and woman of different financial situations.

Although the show was interesting I was disappointed with the lack of representation of a variety of woman.

Many because I didn't ask to go on the show.

Robin can only choose those that want to participate...where each one lives as well, I am sure would make a difference.

I am sorry that a few found the show to be discriminating...only please remember...no one knows what goes behind the television scenes...perhaps it was her staff that chose the participants...and you are a reaching out to the wrong parties.

I don't know...

We Are All Blessed

Love, Light and Peace

Tonie

January 10, 2008, 2:27 pm CST

i agree

Quote From: nanpal2

Dr Phil or Robin, Please lets get real and give some real life tips instead of the ones only very rich can afford. I am 54 and I make around 40,000 per year i cant afford to go to some makeover salon so i have to do it at home any ideas for that  and how about what to wear that is affordable to most of america i know there has to be something  nancy pallace  nanpal2@cox.net

Thank god someone on this message board said what i was thinking,I dont even make 40$ grand a year. Its all nice and good if i was the wife of a dr Phil, me personnally i cant stand these sort of give away shows, they just flaunt what they have in our faces(mind you they got it because of us little people).

January 10, 2008, 2:29 pm CST

Age and Health

I would like them to do a makeover show for people that are having a lot of pain issues. I am getting older and have been putting on some pounds and there are many days all I wear is sweats because they are the most comfortable. I wish I could find the right place that would work with me and my pain to do the right exercises that would help me loose the wieght and help me to feel better and do a makeover to look better.

January 10, 2008, 2:31 pm CST

You make a very good point or points

Quote From: juliebgg

I've been reading alot of the messages on this topic and just wanted to comment.  Feeling good about yourself comes from within. You can be 22 and drop-dead gorgeous, but if you don't feel happy inside, it won't matter what is on the outside.

Some people have asked what they could do if they can't afford the clothes and makeovers on the show. I would say that you have to make the best with what you do have.  Keep yourself neat, hair combed and colored if necessary (I color my own and it looks fine).  If you need to lose weight, there are lots of inexpensive  or free ways to exercise such as walking. Most of all, do the things that bring you happiness.  Make time for this, it is important.  Surround yourself with cheerful people. Put a smile on your face; it's for free.

You are so right, Robin presented the example and for those of us such as myself, we can improvise the end results...

Gold's Gyms are located all over the country...they all have personal trainers there.

I am always a searching out inexpensive creams, lotions and such.

All the things presented by Robin and the above writer are possible if the one wanting them is sincere enough to find the alternatives...

Good stuff, thank you!

We Are All Blessed

Love, Light and Peace

Tonie

January 10, 2008, 2:33 pm CST

congratulations!

Quote From: liznva

A lot of people have mentioned money or size as an obstacle and that doesn't have to be a factor. I am going to be 45 in March and I have been on my own make over journey for a couple of years. I have an auto immune disease called Sjogrens Syndrome which made me so sick I couldn't get off the couch. It also damaged my middle ear causing balance problems so I can no longer drive. Top that with being diagnosed with hypo thyroidism and you get the picture.

After a lot of weight piled on and I was over my pity party I decided that I was the only person with the power to change myself. I did a lot of research and started taking a handful of supplements. I began exercising at home using video tapes and hand weights. I developed an eating strategy that would help me lose weight and help lower inflammation in my body.

Today I am 40 pounds lighter and have 65 more pounds to go. I use walking tapes and can now walk the equivelent of 3-5 miles a day. My skin looks great and best of all, at my last doctor appointment my lab work was pristine. The marker they use to keep an eye on the inflammation caused by the auto immune disease was normal for the first time since I got sick 15 years ago.

As for dressing. I do love my sweats at home but I have learned how to dress to look great at any age and with any body. (I am a 16 now) I found a line of skin care products that work great, in fact, one of the top rated skin care lines is Oil Of Olay which can be bought on sale at the drug store.

If I can do this on a budget anyone can. Remember, if you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten. Make one goal each week and stick to it. Eat lots of fruits and veggies and drink lots of tea (I also use green tea) and do that for one or 2 weeks. After that add a 10 minute walk every day and some push ups and sit ups. Add to that every day. Once the weight comes off and you feel better from the exercise you can be more creative in picking inexpensive clothing out for your body.

You can do this. I know you can because I did!
Congratulations!  Yours was a very inspiring post!  You have overcome many obstacles, including getting over self-pity and then taking the reigns of responsibility for oneself and going for it!! I suspect that you must feel pretty good about yourself, and that will be a great help as you continue to lose the rest of the weight.  You also gave alot of tips for the "average" middle aged woman.  Keep up the good work.  You are worth it! 

January 10, 2008, 2:34 pm CST

comments on commercials

I am a big fan of the show, but I really have a problem with the way this, as well as other talk shows, are turning into  long commercials for all the products used.  The Christmas special with all the givaways was one thing, but after watching this show on looking younger, it was too much.  Robin said that she provided products and services for these women, but then proceeded to do non-stop commercials for a ton of products  and companies that were providing the gifts.  Then, after returning to the "live" show, Dr. Phil had to run down the same list of commercials and tell the audience they were getting the same.  The rest of the show went on with more and more products and commercials.  I realize  that there are sponsors for these shows, but watching commercials for an hour is too much.  I loved the makeovers and thought that the women looked fantastic....and I would be willing to bet that they could have had the same results with products and services that the average person can afford. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last