Message Boards

Topic : 07/03 Get Rich Quick Disasters

Number of Replies: 109
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 11, 2008, 01:05:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/16/08) Do you know someone who says he or she has a great idea to make a lot of cash overnight? Does this person spend all their time, energy and money trying to make a better this or that? Dr. Phil's guests have their heads in the clouds but no money in the bank, and their loved ones want to give them a reality check. First up, Dave thinks his big–money break is around the corner. He says once one of his deals comes through, he'll being living high on the hog, though for now he lives in a tent. His ex-girlfriend, Diane, says she would marry Dave if he could get his finances figured out. Find out why Dave's mom says she's scared for her son's future. Next, Casey is only 24 but has already racked up $2.2 million in debt with rash real estate investing. He's been foreclosed on, receives calls from creditors, is considering bankruptcy, and recently, his wife handed him divorce papers. He's desperate to save his marriage, but is his wife willing to work things out? And, meet A.J. Khubani, a man who has made millions selling products on TV infomercials. He allows the Dr. Phil cameras to roll as he tells it like it is to wannabe millionaires. Find out which product caught A.J.'s eye, and what he's willing to do for this inventor. Plus, learn how to spot a two billion-dollar scheme that could take you for thousands, and don't miss the get-rich-quick ideas the Dr. Phil viewers submitted. Would you buy them? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 12, 2008, 11:03 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Disasters Doctor Get Phil Quick Rich.   That is why I never play Lottry at all in Colorado. See you on Wedn--

esday Janurary 16th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------------------------

January 12, 2008, 12:10 pm CST

This was totally me!

My boyfriend was totally this way. For 2 1/2 years I put up with hearing about this greand idea or this great scheme...we only have to do this, we only need this, if we only use this for that...on and on it went.

Yes he worked - he had an income but was constantly plotting and planning his next BIG money making scheme... I noticed it when we met and I thought it was cute - he was ambitious - as things went on I though well maybe he just has bad luck as things he would try failed for one reason or another. I was also taking the toll as together as a couple - these things consumed all his free time and was starting to consume our finances as well - and it started out small then grew into more things - and more larger things...(INvestments)  

ok well he would get mad as I got skeptical or told him it wouldn't work let it go...and things turned into fights/arguements...Money bcame the center of everything and the lack or loss of it.  He would tell me it would work we'd have so much it was worth it to do...He'd make it right and pay it back to me...

2  1/2 years I had to leave him.  I was 35,000 in debt (thankfully that was all) and filed for bankruptcy. I had to be strong and stop it - Things over and over were repeating and not getting better.  I left him and got myself on track.

I'm now rebuilding my credit, down sized many things to get caught up, paid off all back bills and am even.

I have no real credit card debt I can't handle and am finishing graduate school as a single mom with 2 boys under 12 at home. 

I knew and have known for years if it sounds too good to be true it is...There is NO SUCH thing as get rich quick.  They have ploys and marketing techniques that pray on people';s weaknesses hopes dreams and desires.  They know people are in crisis - in debt to their eyeballs and beyond and yet continue to pray on them.  Desperate people are easy marks.  Be strong, work hard, make and have a plan is my best advice.

if that person is you STOP IT...if that person is married to you  you need to have a serious fierce conversation with them about it  and if you can't take it - leave it...My life has totally turned around - totally for the better...I'm a teacher I tutor on the side when I can - I budget, plan etc. and make things work. I have also found GOD and attend church regularly this has also helped make things easier  and changed my views on many negative things      Am I rich and blessed - in many different ways than with money  YES :)

January 12, 2008, 2:47 pm CST

get rich emails!

I get emails almost every day from Nigeria, UK, and other countries telling me I have inherited millions.  All I have to do is send my phone and address and it will be delivered.  All pf them have a similar story. Some are dying from cancer and want me to get their money for one reason or another.  I cannot find out what the gimmick is with these emails.  Does anyone know?Peggy Warren

January 13, 2008, 10:51 am CST

Yes a gimmick

Quote From: pegjoe

I get emails almost every day from Nigeria, UK, and other countries telling me I have inherited millions.  All I have to do is send my phone and address and it will be delivered.  All pf them have a similar story. Some are dying from cancer and want me to get their money for one reason or another.  I cannot find out what the gimmick is with these emails.  Does anyone know?Peggy Warren

They are not from Nigeria. There is no money. I had a person ask me for advise once I tried to explain to them, but they insisted that they were going to be sent money. I actually played along with a couple of these email scammers, just to see how far they would go.

There are many forms: One of them will send you a check for $7,500 as part of there lure to get at the fake $20 million. You are to keep $2,500 but to send $5,000 to some agent they are working with. This has to be done immediately so you need to deposit the check but send your own money.You just made $2,500. Wrong. There check is bogus and will not clear and you just lost $5,000. The amount will change based on how much they think you can be milked for.

Thee are no get rich plans. It requires hard work and time. You did not all of a sudden become smart. If you did bad in school, you will not get rich,unless you change the time and energy you are willing to invest.

Nobody, in these schemes are dying from cancer, or have relatives that left $20 million in a box. If they were sincere, they would give a name, address and phone number. If they do give this information, then you can do a search. My advise is to simply delete and don't read them. Don't waste your time.

January 13, 2008, 11:07 am CST

I'm glad

Quote From: twoschues2000

My boyfriend was totally this way. For 2 1/2 years I put up with hearing about this greand idea or this great scheme...we only have to do this, we only need this, if we only use this for that...on and on it went.

Yes he worked - he had an income but was constantly plotting and planning his next BIG money making scheme... I noticed it when we met and I thought it was cute - he was ambitious - as things went on I though well maybe he just has bad luck as things he would try failed for one reason or another. I was also taking the toll as together as a couple - these things consumed all his free time and was starting to consume our finances as well - and it started out small then grew into more things - and more larger things...(INvestments)  

ok well he would get mad as I got skeptical or told him it wouldn't work let it go...and things turned into fights/arguements...Money bcame the center of everything and the lack or loss of it.  He would tell me it would work we'd have so much it was worth it to do...He'd make it right and pay it back to me...

2  1/2 years I had to leave him.  I was 35,000 in debt (thankfully that was all) and filed for bankruptcy. I had to be strong and stop it - Things over and over were repeating and not getting better.  I left him and got myself on track.

I'm now rebuilding my credit, down sized many things to get caught up, paid off all back bills and am even.

I have no real credit card debt I can't handle and am finishing graduate school as a single mom with 2 boys under 12 at home. 

I knew and have known for years if it sounds too good to be true it is...There is NO SUCH thing as get rich quick.  They have ploys and marketing techniques that pray on people';s weaknesses hopes dreams and desires.  They know people are in crisis - in debt to their eyeballs and beyond and yet continue to pray on them.  Desperate people are easy marks.  Be strong, work hard, make and have a plan is my best advice.

if that person is you STOP IT...if that person is married to you  you need to have a serious fierce conversation with them about it  and if you can't take it - leave it...My life has totally turned around - totally for the better...I'm a teacher I tutor on the side when I can - I budget, plan etc. and make things work. I have also found GOD and attend church regularly this has also helped make things easier  and changed my views on many negative things      Am I rich and blessed - in many different ways than with money  YES :)

I'm glad that you saw the light. You were just as big a sucker as he was. This was your problem and your money that got lost. I am sure that you thought your $35,000 would turn into millions. So you need to say, that you were totally this way. You got schemed, even if he believed it, because you believed him.

Im glad that you have found God, but I hope that you are not putting diamonds on fingers and big cars in driveways for men claiming to do God's work. God needs that money to feed the poor and cure the ill, rather than feed egos. Some Churches ae schemers also, when they tell you that your giving will lead to riches, but take your giving to buy cars.

Message: God is not telling you to give that minister a Roll Royce as a token of his good work. However, God may be telling you to sell that Rolls Royce, to help feed some kid.

January 13, 2008, 12:02 pm CST

geez

Dear dr.phil fan        Its a scam ge it scam these people from Nigeria all they want is your bank account--------------            Don't fall for the scamm or else!!!!!!    Check out Oprahs website she had a show about these scams from Afrika

January 13, 2008, 2:39 pm CST

SCAMS!

The "gimmick" to these is that they're all bogus!  They'll send you a check, tell you to deposit or cash it, send them a specific amount, and the rest is yours to keep.  Problem is that the original check is no good, but by the time you find that out, you've already sent them their portion, and you're liable to your bank for the balance.  IF you're lucky, the bank will be suspicious of the check and refuse to cash it.  You can check a lot of these out at www.snopes.com which is a great website to refer to on questionable internet info.

January 13, 2008, 3:52 pm CST

get rich quick disasters

Dr. Phil,

I wrote you 4 years ago and told you all about my parents who were living this way.  Here we are 4 years later and no change with my dad who is still trying to live like this.  He keeps telling us kids that he has something big that is going to happen real soon and make he and my mom lots of money so they can retire.  He is currently 65 years old and my brothers and I feel like the parents, constantly trying to give them advice to get away from these things, to which he ignores us.  It is such a shame as they lost their house to a foreclosure 4 years ago and are now living in my dad's mothers condo, and have to be out in less than 4 months.  It has ruined us all as a family, the trust issues in itself are devastating.  On several accounts we have stopped talking to them and they have not been allowed to be involved in their grandchildren's lives.  The list goes on and on as there are so many creditors after them and my brother is the one getting all the calls and mailings threatening to come after him because unfortunately he and my dad share the same name.  These get rich quick schemes can really tear families apart.  Some people just don't understand that money doesn't come that easily. 

January 15, 2008, 2:40 am CST

01/16 Get Rich Quick Disasters

I know a number of women whose husbands went on early retirement, took their pensions in lump sums, and invested it in some brilliant business idea. Which went bust.

The wives, if they were working in the first place had to double up on their overtime, and if not, had to go out and look for a first job in their late 40s.

Sometimes the husband would go out and look for a new job, sometimes not (too embarrassed to admit failure and/or too "proud" to start again from the beginning.

January 15, 2008, 2:35 pm CST

Gimmick

The problem is it looks so easy. Nothing more is asked of you than to give out a little information. The problem Peggy is that with just that small amount of information alone, you could have your identity stolen. For instance, you give your name and address out:
1) I can know go to your home and
a) go thru your trash and get personal information
b) potentially stalk you
c) rob you
etc. and that is just what can be done with the info. Other scams ask you for your name, address, bank account number where they can send you the check and your social security number of the. This too leads to identity theft. Others ask you to send them a check for say $3,000 in order for the funds to be released. This too is their way of gaining something from you for nothing. Your Hard Earned CASH. Please Peggy, do not fall prey to these scams. In the end the only thing you will have gained nothing and potentially lost everything. Also please note that they are now calling homes with this same type of scam, stating that the government has had money that is yours. If that is the case than you can verify the information through government or legal channels. I hope this helped.
Sincerely
AJ

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last