Message Boards

Topic : 07/03 Get Rich Quick Disasters

Number of Replies: 109
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 11, 2008, 01:05:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/16/08) Do you know someone who says he or she has a great idea to make a lot of cash overnight? Does this person spend all their time, energy and money trying to make a better this or that? Dr. Phil's guests have their heads in the clouds but no money in the bank, and their loved ones want to give them a reality check. First up, Dave thinks his big–money break is around the corner. He says once one of his deals comes through, he'll being living high on the hog, though for now he lives in a tent. His ex-girlfriend, Diane, says she would marry Dave if he could get his finances figured out. Find out why Dave's mom says she's scared for her son's future. Next, Casey is only 24 but has already racked up $2.2 million in debt with rash real estate investing. He's been foreclosed on, receives calls from creditors, is considering bankruptcy, and recently, his wife handed him divorce papers. He's desperate to save his marriage, but is his wife willing to work things out? And, meet A.J. Khubani, a man who has made millions selling products on TV infomercials. He allows the Dr. Phil cameras to roll as he tells it like it is to wannabe millionaires. Find out which product caught A.J.'s eye, and what he's willing to do for this inventor. Plus, learn how to spot a two billion-dollar scheme that could take you for thousands, and don't miss the get-rich-quick ideas the Dr. Phil viewers submitted. Would you buy them? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 10, 2008, 10:10 pm CDT

07/03 Get Rich Quick Disasters

My god...that 24-year-old looks so much like my ex-boyfriend....(sounds like him too) I paused the tv when I saw the commercial for this eppisode because I thought that was him. Being in major debt wouldn't suprise me either. I recorded the episode and showed it to my mom. She was like, "Oh my god...that DOES look like him...that could be him at 24!"

July 11, 2008, 4:41 am CDT

Quote From: skoobus

My story.  I had an idea for a consumer product.  A friend forwarded an email he received from an online company that supposedly gets an inventors products licensed and brought to market.
I sent them (via online form at their website) my idea.  They charged me $690 and I fell for it at first.
What I received from them was a notebook with mostly pre produced material (which is like advertisements for their company) and some patents on this type of product.
One of these patents was "exactly" what I conceived and sent to this company.  The rep that I was talking to on the phone told me that all we had to do is to change the product by 10 pct and it would be patentable.
I don't know of any way to change the product.  I told him it would be patent infringement, but he tried to convince me that it wasn't.  I eventually told him I wanted to drop the idea because he told me I would have to send them more of my money.  After I originally applied, I did a search online and found the company had been sued by the FTC for non disclosure and other reasons.  I didn't get $690 worth of work done by them and feel cheated.  It looks like their patent search was done online via Google.   I also got a letter from them saying, since I don't want to procede, their commitment to the project would be null and void.  It also said that if someone else submitted the same idea, they were free to act on it. 
I did another search about the company and their are many complaints about them on ripoffreport.com.
There are other companies that do the same thing and I advise you to do the research on them before you send them anything.
I would suggest that you post the name of this company so that others will be aware.

July 11, 2008, 9:56 am CDT

EmailScams

I saw the show earlier in the year but caught the replay on July 10,'08.

Why is it the scam can use Federal Gov. Agencies?  Last year I was contacted over the phone from someone saying  "I had won a Canada Lottery, and they were with the IRS and needed the money for the US taxes".  I conversed several times over the phone with them until I talked to a relative who is a CPA, and he informed me that the IRS does not contact people of such matters, and to contact them directly (not the phone # they (scam) had given me).  I did contact the IRS, and verified my concern.  Once the scamers contacted me again, I informed them what I had found out, they hung up on me and I never heard from them again.  Which was fine for me, I never gave them account # or any personal ID information,

Just last week, my boyfriend (who is over 50) received 2 different emails from the FBI.  Once again, I am now at a stage of confusion.  Do I report it to the FBI Complaint?  Will they do the same thing the IRS did since this scam didn't get any money out of me?  I hate to sit back and do nothing, because I am almost sure they are doing this to others.  I have kept copies of the emails, on the FBI Letterhead.  Why is our Government letting these people get away with using their Agency as a cover?

Any good advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for listening!

July 11, 2008, 1:20 pm CDT

Quote From: will6012

They are not from Nigeria. There is no money. I had a person ask me for advise once I tried to explain to them, but they insisted that they were going to be sent money. I actually played along with a couple of these email scammers, just to see how far they would go.

There are many forms: One of them will send you a check for $7,500 as part of there lure to get at the fake $20 million. You are to keep $2,500 but to send $5,000 to some agent they are working with. This has to be done immediately so you need to deposit the check but send your own money.You just made $2,500. Wrong. There check is bogus and will not clear and you just lost $5,000. The amount will change based on how much they think you can be milked for.

Thee are no get rich plans. It requires hard work and time. You did not all of a sudden become smart. If you did bad in school, you will not get rich,unless you change the time and energy you are willing to invest.

Nobody, in these schemes are dying from cancer, or have relatives that left $20 million in a box. If they were sincere, they would give a name, address and phone number. If they do give this information, then you can do a search. My advise is to simply delete and don't read them. Don't waste your time.

I am in an active search for work from home opportunities, particularly ones that aren't multi level.  recently I have been flooded with work from home scams that want me to fill out personal information.  I think both of these are the same from the same people.  and it seems they only want the personal information to begin identity theft.  All they need is to insure you are a real person to start the ball rolling.  Do not  EVER answer, unsolicited emails,  and never ever give out personal info over the Internet.  To take it one step further never use your credit cards either.  If you shop on line use a prepaid card designated for this purpose only!!

Everyone beware, be cautious never give out personal info that is not available in the phone book!

July 13, 2008, 11:58 pm CDT

You don't have to conned by a scammer to have "get rich quick diasters", all you need is an over active mind, no money to invest and no bussiness sense.

Just ask my hubbie what get rich things he has tried.  I don't let it get to me,  I disasosiate myself from these disasters.

How do I protect myself from the money downfall?  I always have a cunning kick( money put aside) and basicaly live my life my way.

July 15, 2008, 5:39 pm CDT

Speaking of scams, has anyone ever gotten a phone call that is a pre-recorded voice saying "This is the warrantee department, our records show that the warantee on your vehicle is about to expire..." I don't know what else it says, because I've always hung up on it before it goes any further.

I get that phone call all the time at work, and I work at a restaraunt so I know it's not legitimate, and my boyfriend gets it on his cell phone every day. I'm convinced it's a scam call since it's the exact same thing calling every time, and whoever is sending these calls doesn't seem to know that they're calling a restaraunt phone, or the phone of someone who has no warrantee on his car. It has to be one of those scams where they say something they think would be important, and then get all your information to take your money with.

Does anyone know anything else about this pre-recorded thing?

July 16, 2008, 6:12 am CDT

Quote From: redfeathers

Speaking of scams, has anyone ever gotten a phone call that is a pre-recorded voice saying "This is the warrantee department, our records show that the warantee on your vehicle is about to expire..." I don't know what else it says, because I've always hung up on it before it goes any further.

I get that phone call all the time at work, and I work at a restaraunt so I know it's not legitimate, and my boyfriend gets it on his cell phone every day. I'm convinced it's a scam call since it's the exact same thing calling every time, and whoever is sending these calls doesn't seem to know that they're calling a restaraunt phone, or the phone of someone who has no warrantee on his car. It has to be one of those scams where they say something they think would be important, and then get all your information to take your money with.

Does anyone know anything else about this pre-recorded thing?

I have been getting phone calls for over a year and a half from people who want me to buy an extended warranty on my '99 car. In the beginning, I would press "2" indicating that I didn't want to be called again. Then for months I just ignored the calls. There are many different numbers and strange names. One does say warranty service. My aunt said that she read in AARP that at least one of them is a scam. Lately I have been pressing  "1" for a representative and when they come on and start thier spiel, I say "I'm not the least bit interested in an extended warranty, but since you call me all the time, I'll chat with you". Then I go on to ask about the weather, thier kids, etc... Some of them actually have a conversation with me. Others say "O.K. ma'am I'll take your number off the list". Some of the extended warranties may be real, I don't really know for sure. A friend of mine actually bought an extended warranty for her older car from a dealership. But, unfortunately so far, nothing has happened to her car that the warranty covered. ????

As for who specifically they call, I was in the emergency room waiting room of a local hospital a while back and the pay phone rang. I answered it thinking that maybe someone was trying to call someone in the waiting room. It was a telemarketer trying to sell subscriptions to a local paper. I told her this is a payphone in the emergency room. She said that she didn't know who she was calling, she just had numbers. Then she proceeded to try to get me to subscribe to the paper. I had to hang up because she wouldn't stop talking. My SIL used to work for a telemarketer and she says they were trained to keep talking until the person either responded favorably or hung up.

July 16, 2008, 2:56 pm CDT

Quote From: housewife52

I have been getting phone calls for over a year and a half from people who want me to buy an extended warranty on my '99 car. In the beginning, I would press "2" indicating that I didn't want to be called again. Then for months I just ignored the calls. There are many different numbers and strange names. One does say warranty service. My aunt said that she read in AARP that at least one of them is a scam. Lately I have been pressing  "1" for a representative and when they come on and start thier spiel, I say "I'm not the least bit interested in an extended warranty, but since you call me all the time, I'll chat with you". Then I go on to ask about the weather, thier kids, etc... Some of them actually have a conversation with me. Others say "O.K. ma'am I'll take your number off the list". Some of the extended warranties may be real, I don't really know for sure. A friend of mine actually bought an extended warranty for her older car from a dealership. But, unfortunately so far, nothing has happened to her car that the warranty covered. ????

As for who specifically they call, I was in the emergency room waiting room of a local hospital a while back and the pay phone rang. I answered it thinking that maybe someone was trying to call someone in the waiting room. It was a telemarketer trying to sell subscriptions to a local paper. I told her this is a payphone in the emergency room. She said that she didn't know who she was calling, she just had numbers. Then she proceeded to try to get me to subscribe to the paper. I had to hang up because she wouldn't stop talking. My SIL used to work for a telemarketer and she says they were trained to keep talking until the person either responded favorably or hung up.

Wow. My friend works as a telemarketer and I honestly don't know how she does it. That's got to be one of the most hated jobs on the planet. I'd clean the men's bathrooms in a strip joint before I became a telemarketer...so many angry people hanging up on you...

I'd bet that the call I've been getting is the scam one, considering it's a pre-recorded voice, that and it's also been calling my boyfriend. Two completely separate, non-associated numbers with the identical message. That can't be real. Well, I suppose I could do what you did and wait for the chance to tell them to stop calling, if that's possible.

September 17, 2008, 9:01 pm CDT

Quote From: artyword

Married to HIM 40 years.  After being married to a man who never kept a job over 18months I would only marry someone with steady work.  He drove a taxi waiting for a government job. Got a good one.  Said I ridiculed him so he quit.  Then the get rich quick started.  I may have lost track of all he tried.  Some things worked for a while.  But when he had a plan to buy land on the river, was allowed to use it, had 100 picnic tables built, bought $35,000 worth of tents, planted grass (no water, so used firehouse hoses) finally the day came to open his great event.  The temp soared to 103 degrees, no one came.  People stole the tables, ripped up the tents, the grass grew in little patches here and there.  Well, that was one thing that didn't work.  I can go on and on but you get the picture.  He's now over 70 and still trying to make big bucks on a double Victorian house in a sad area of the country.  He has worked on this place for over 15 years.  It is a two day trip there from where we live.  He used to go there half time, then one-third of his time leaving me along caring for my Mom.  The time grew less and less. 

He did rent out part for a while to college students.  They wrecked it so he worked some more.  Now he is almost "ready to sell" and make big money as soon as it's done again.  Did I mention it has NO PARKING , 3 stories, each side has 10 rooms and several bathrooms, + basement.     He did make money sometimes.  He bought a house for $23,000 and sold it for over $80,000.  Did you wonder how he paid for the tents and picnic tables.  Yup, that was it.  Off the top of my head I'd guess he went through 15 to 18 get rich quick disasters.  To talk to him he will tell you all the good things that happened in each of them.  I married him knowing life would be interesting.  Yes it has been.  I'm the one work worked the steady good job.  I'm tired, still caring for Mom who is now 98 AND his Mom who is 100+.  Where is he right now?  Up there working on the house. 

I'm sure you won't check this board again but I just wanted to say, in case you do,...."it's all in the eye of the beholder".  Your tale is quite interesting and amusing, IF you don't take it all on yourself.  It's him.  Don't let him make you accountable.  You can be the steadying factor but not the saving grace. 

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next Page | Last Page