Message Boards

Topic : 07/03 Get Rich Quick Disasters

Number of Replies: 109
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 11, 2008, 01:05:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/16/08) Do you know someone who says he or she has a great idea to make a lot of cash overnight? Does this person spend all their time, energy and money trying to make a better this or that? Dr. Phil's guests have their heads in the clouds but no money in the bank, and their loved ones want to give them a reality check. First up, Dave thinks his big–money break is around the corner. He says once one of his deals comes through, he'll being living high on the hog, though for now he lives in a tent. His ex-girlfriend, Diane, says she would marry Dave if he could get his finances figured out. Find out why Dave's mom says she's scared for her son's future. Next, Casey is only 24 but has already racked up $2.2 million in debt with rash real estate investing. He's been foreclosed on, receives calls from creditors, is considering bankruptcy, and recently, his wife handed him divorce papers. He's desperate to save his marriage, but is his wife willing to work things out? And, meet A.J. Khubani, a man who has made millions selling products on TV infomercials. He allows the Dr. Phil cameras to roll as he tells it like it is to wannabe millionaires. Find out which product caught A.J.'s eye, and what he's willing to do for this inventor. Plus, learn how to spot a two billion-dollar scheme that could take you for thousands, and don't miss the get-rich-quick ideas the Dr. Phil viewers submitted. Would you buy them? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 16, 2008, 6:24 am CST

get rich quick

wow,there are no real get rich quick ways. Hard work is the reward. If there was an overnight way to success,we'd all be rich,don't ya think? In this day,we have to have everything bigger,faster,and better than the Jones'. Who really cares? Why can't people be content with things that really matter?Family and friends are what I value most and without them,I'd be a poor person. What good is a big pile of money if you have no one to share with? Look at some of the past big lottery winners.Most are near or in bankrupcy now because of money. I'm always going to have bills to pay. I just don't spend what I can't afford to pay for.I have no credit cards,and I like it that way.That doesn't mean I'm braindead,just realistic. I'm trying to save money. Some day I may have an idea to make more money,but, I'll be sure to ask my trusted family and friends what they think of it first. They won't lie to me or scam me out of hard earned savings,because they know how hard I worked to get it. If something sounds to good to be true,it usually is. Follow that saying and use common sense. Thanks 4 reading this.

January 16, 2008, 7:58 am CST

the real estate guy

The young guy in the 2nd story did well with his first sale (30,000) The irony in this story that if he had not been immature and had gotten greedy, he may have worked enough deals to be rich. People get a quick success and then get too excited.

sylvia

January 16, 2008, 10:54 am CST

Email Scams

I USED to get those pesky emails quite often!

Here's what I did some time ago:

I responded!!

Sure! I'll help you out! But, because you seem to be from a foreign country, but have lots of inheritance, it shouldn't be a problem to meet me in Central Park, NYC on such-and-such day (can't remember what I said to the idioit at the time!), at such and such time and we'll talk.

I went on to say something like: "But of course kind sir, this being a business deal, you wouldn't mind me bringing 'my people' along would you? Do understand, an astute businessman such as myself can not be too careful; And, oh by the way, my soon-to-be friend, please be aware that all my people carry weapons to protect me and most are in disguise".... I never heard from those folks again????

January 16, 2008, 11:36 am CST

WORK BUDGET SAVE INVEST (make good choices)

Dave's ex needs to stay FAR AWAY. If she thinks Dave problems are related to "finances," she's foolish. The "finances" are just a symptom of his problems. Marrying him would mean divorce within months.

Approximate 90% of millionaires are FIRST GENERATION RICH. That means they WORKED hard and EARNED their fortunes. They didn't come across their money in any "schemes." 84% of U.S. lottery winners file bankrupsy within a few years. Money is obviously NOT the problem. How one values it and uses it is what determines success with money. Attitudes about earning & spending determine success.

Dump debt. Debt is killing this economy and killing marriages. Go to www.daveramsey.com and find out where and when a "Financial Peace University" course is being offered in your area. Become debt free....without schemes. Budget, save, dump debt, invest and make your money work for YOU. We have done it and it's wonderful just having a house pmt (only 4% of the U.S. population has just house debt).

People of quality aren't trying to find get-rich-quick ways to make money. They get an education, work their butts off and use "integrity" to hold onto what they have, while giving to those less fortunate.

January 16, 2008, 11:40 am CST

Fraud fraud Fraud

Quote From: pegjoe

I get emails almost every day from Nigeria, UK, and other countries telling me I have inherited millions.  All I have to do is send my phone and address and it will be delivered.  All pf them have a similar story. Some are dying from cancer and want me to get their money for one reason or another.  I cannot find out what the gimmick is with these emails.  Does anyone know?Peggy Warren

It's best to simply delete those scam e-mails.

However, I have forwarded some e-mail SCHEMES to the man in my govt responsible for dealing with FRAUD. Go to your state's website, get his/her e-mail address and start forwarding. I also let the person who sent the e-mail know what I have done.

ANYTHING that sounds too good to be true (fast money, fast weight loss, etc) IS ALWAYS too good to be true! It's fraud. We all need to be smarter consumers.

January 16, 2008, 2:01 pm CST

Please don't fall for anything over the Internet!

I have an email address that I use for my vacation forums to keep my name private.

I get 15 - 20 of these email scams  EVERY DAY!!!  Lotteries, inheritance, you name it..they have come up wtih a name for it.

Folks, please remember what common sense tells us...there is no short cut.   There is no one out there wanting to give us money!

January 16, 2008, 2:06 pm CST

Get rich quick inventions

I was just watching the Dr Phil show and saw some of the inventions that people had come up with - one that really caught my attention was - The Mailbox Game - looked like it was invented by a father of 2.  The short tape showed each child having his or her own mailbox in which they could receive letters from other members of the family and give letters to each other.  This idea really really is a great idea in my opinion, because it encourages reading skills, writing skills, communication skills as well as family bonding.  I really hope they are able to promote this game and make it work  because I think it is a fantastic idea.

Shadow67

January 16, 2008, 2:13 pm CST

email lottery scams

I am writing this to let people i have too recieved the email about mailing in money ...it comes as an email from the "fed ex" company. It asks that i cash checks and send them money and they would send me my part. It is also asking for my bank acct. and different information like that as well..i wasn't sure where to report this type of email. Fortunatlly i am aware of the scams that are out there and haven't fallen a victim to them, but , the other people like the elderly who are not aware is who my concern is for ....just remember if it sounds to good to be true ....it probably is...and if you haven't registered with any type of company then don't fall victim to this type of scam....unfortunatly we have horrible people out there that feed off of people that are unaware of this type of stuff. thanks , stacey

January 16, 2008, 2:23 pm CST

Casey

Casey, you are still young, and maybe real estate isn't your thing. Take time to find out what you are interested in, and go from there. Maybe your wife is happy without you, and both of you must move on with your lives separately, as tough as it may be. This is YOUR turning point in your life, and happened for a reason, when later in your life you'll know why, I hope. We all have our own personal problems. Many people will try and tell you what you should/shouldn't do. But only you (really) live with you. So good luck and things will turn around for the better.

January 16, 2008, 2:30 pm CST

FRAUD

I have been getting these emails DAILY for a very long time!! I mark them as spam but they just keep coming!!! If not the lottery, then the inheritance from a poor deceased uncle. I have gotten the scam email from Bank of America (or so they would have you believe). That one was scary because it shows the logo from bank of america and return address from BOA !! They say your account has been breached or something to that effect and they need to verify your account info . I have NEVER had an account with BOA and am NOT naieve so i didn't fall for it !!!! But what about the poor folks on a limited income that DO have an account with BOA?? It looks so legitimate that I could see people getting taken after giving account info.

I like the earlier response that says they offered to meet this person in central park with his people:):) What a clever response!!!! I hope you don't mind if i borrow that !!!!!

Just remember to NEVER give ANY personal or account information online , if it is legitimate they will have no problem sending you the required info or forms!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last